History of Westbrook, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Westbrook is situated in the southern part of Cumberland county, Deering on the south-east separates it from Portland, Falmouth bounds it on the north-east, Windharn and Gorham on the north-west, Scarborough and Cape Elizabeth on the south. Its territory is longest from north-east to south-west, and its width is about one half its length. The area is near 15,000 acres. The surface is beautifully diversified by swells of land rather than hills. The soil is generally loamy or clayey and is usually well cultivated. The excellent markets near give it great advantages for farming and gardening; and the farm buildings give evidence of thrift. The Presurnpscot river passes through the midst of the town, and, turning, forms nearly half the boundary on the south-east. The other streams are Stroudwater River, which crosses the south-western part of the town, and Duck Pond Brook in the north-east. Saccarappa is the only considerable village. It was long celebrated for its lumber business, begun in 1829 by Benj. Ingersol and others. The other localities bearing special names are Cumberland Mills, near Saccarappa, Pride's Corner in the north-eastern, and Duck Pond in the northern part of the town. At the latter is a water-power occupied by the Portland Wooden-ware Company; at Cumberland mills is the extensive paper factory of S. D. Warren and Co. The larger factories in Saccarappa are the Westbrook Manufacturing Company, producing cotton duck and shirtings; the Westbrook Foundry Company; the Haskell Silk Company, producing sewing-machine twist, train and fringe silks, and the Presumpscot Mills Dye House. Other manufactures are colored, dressed and plain cotton warps, grain bags, machinery and water wheels, carriages and harnesses, boots, shoes and moccasins, tinware, leather-board, bricks, wooden boxes, box shook and dimension stuff, meal and flour. The Portland and Rochester railroad passes through Saccarappa, and the Portland and Ogdensburg passes between that place and Cumberland Mills adjacent. The latter place was formerly an Indian planting ground, called by the tribes Ammon-Congin, known later as "Munjoy's Mile Square," which he purchased of two sagamores. The paper factories now operated here give employment to about 800 persons.

Wcstbrook was formerly a part of old Falmouth, from which it was set off and incorporated as "Stroudwater" in 1814. The next year its name was changed to Westhrook, in honor of Colonel Thomas Westbrook, who distinguished himself in the Indian wars. Deering was set off from Westbrook in 1871. Westbrook was for many years the home of Rev. Prof. Henry B. Smith and Miss Annie Louise Gary. Paul Akers, the sculptor, was born in this town in 1825, dying in Philadelphia in 1861. Other persons of eminence still reside here.

Saccarappa has a flourishing Methodist church, a Congregational church which dates its organization from 1832; a Universalist and a Catholic church. There is also a Congregational church at Cumberland Mills. Westbrook has 8 public schoolhouses valued at $1,700. Time amount paid for the support of schools for the year ending April 1st, 1879, was $4,296. The valuation of estates in 1870 was 143. In 1880 it was $1,527,880. The population in 1870 was 2,788. The census of 1880 shows it to have increased to 3,981.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York