History of Whitefield, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Doreen Crocker



Whitefield is on the north-westerly town of Lincoln County, having Jefferson on the east, Alna on the south, and on the west, Pittston and Chelsea in Kennebec County, and on the north, Windsor, in the same county. The length of the town from north to south is about ten miles; its width at the northern part is about five and a half miles and at the south about one half the latter distance. The area is very nearly 29,000 acrea. It was formerly covered with dense forests of pine and oak. Agriculture is the leading business. The Sheepscot River passes through the midst of the town from north to south, and the Eastern River takes a parallel course through the western part. In 1820 there were upon the several falls upon the Sheepscot in this town nine sawmills and four grist-mills. There are now at North Whitefield a grist-mill, tow saw-mills, two shingle-mills, a planing, a stave and carding-mill, two carriage factories, a funrniture and boot and shoe factory. Cooper's mills has a lumber and a shingle-mill, a flour-mill, a tinware and a boot and shoe factory. At Alna postoffice there is a carriage factory. There is also a small village in the southern part called Kings' Mills, which is the same as Whitefield post-office.

The Plymouth proprietors claimed the territory of this town, but failed to establish their right. It was settled about 1770 by Irish Roman Catholics. At this time the town was formed the western part of Ballstown, now Jefferson, to which it remained attached until 1809, when it was incorporated, being named in honor of the celebrated preacher, George Whitefield. At the close of the Revolutionary Was many of the veterans of the army settled in Whitefield.

The town has three Babtist churches, and one each of the Advents, Free Baptists, Methodists, and Roman Catholics. At the North Whitefield is St. Joseph Academy, an institution belonging to the Roman Catholics. Whitefield has sixteen public schoolhouses, valued, with other school property, at $5,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $441,346. In 1880, it was $440,974. The population in 1870 was 1,594. In 1880 it was 1.511.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter