History of Windsor, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Betsey S. Webber



Windsor is one of the easternmost towns of Kennebec County.
It is bounded by China on the north, Augusta on the west, Whitefield
in Lincoln County on the south, and Somerville in the same county on
the east. The town is a square in its form. Its surface is hilly; and
from some of its elevations noble views are obtained. The principal
rock is granite; the soil is a clay loam, and the largest crop is hay.

Three-mile Pond projects a considerable portion of its arc into the
town at the north-west, Mud Pond lies at the middle of the western
side, and Moody and Longfellow ponds, lie in the south-western part,
Savade and Fox ponds on the north-east, and Donnell Pond a little
south of the center of the town. The principal stream is the western
branch of the Sheepscot, which passes through the eastern part of the
town from north to south, affording power for a grist-mill, lumber,
shingle, and carding-mills. Leather is the only other manufacture of
note. At the period of its settlement, the town was remarkable for
the quantity and quality of its pine, oak, hemlock, and other woods.
The land is fertile and well-cultivated. The town is about 10 miles
from the Kennebec, on the stage-line from Augusta to Belfast. The
territory of the town belonged to the Plymouth Patent. The first
settlement was commenced in 1790 by Walter Dockindoff, Thomas
Labalister, Prince Keen, Samuel Pierce, John Linn, Dr. Stephen Bar-
ton, Benjamin and Joseph Hilton, Joseph Linscott, and Joseph Trask.
The town incorporation was in 1809 under the name of Malta. It was
changed to Gerry in 1820, and to the present one in 1822. Joseph
Trask, Jr., born October 30th, 1790, was the first native citizen of
Windsor. In the history of the town the murder of Paul Chadwick,
a surveyor for the proprietors in 1809, by some squatters disguised as
Indians, is an important incident. Several arrests were made; and
though an attack upon the jail was attempted by an armed band of
disguised men, the offenders were brought to trial. The evidence,
though conclusive as to the killing by some person in the company
accused, did not show whose shot caused the death of the unfortunate
man; and as the public feeling was largely in favor of the accused, all
were acquitted by the jury.

The post-offices are Windsor, and West and South Windsor. The
Methodists and Baptists each have a church in the town. Windsor is
said to have sent about two hundred soldiers into the war for the Union,
and to have lost about one hundred and twenty-five. The town has
thirteen public schoolhouses, valued at $3,000. The valuation of
estates in 1870 was $262,212; in 1880, $302,088. The rate of taxation in
1880 was 2 ½ per cent. In 1870, the population of Windsor was 1,266;
but according to the census of 1880 it has fallen off to 1,079.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter