Woodstock lies at the centre of the broad, middle section
of Oxford County. Bethel, and Milton and Franklin plantations bound it on the north, Sumner bounds it on the east,
Paris and Greenwood bound it on the south and west. A group of not less than 14 high hills occupy the centre, of
which are Mount Blue and Perham Mountain. In the south-western part are Whitman and Curtis mountains, and in the
south-eastern is Molly Ocket Mountain. The Lone Star Gold Mine is situated near the base of a mountain on the northeastern
side of the middle group. Bryantís Pond is a fine sheet of water in the western part of the town, named for an
early settler. From its southern extremity issues Little Androscoggin River. In the north-western corner is North
Pond; and in the north-eastern part lie Great Concord and Little Concord ponds, the latter two, the the sources
of the East Branch of Concord River. South of these just within the border is Shagg Pond. The largest of these
beautiful sheets is North Pond, and Bryantís Pond is next, being three miles long by one wide.
All the eminences in the town seem to be composed in the main of granitic rocks. The soil is loamy and fertile,
especially in the alluvial lands that skirts the ponds and streams. Potatoes is the chief cultivated crop. The
scenery of this town is varied and beautiful, and the roads are in general very good. Beech, birch, maple, poplar,
spruce and fir deck the hill-sides and valleys inextensive tracts or scattered groups.
The principal village is named Bryantís Pond, and is situated on the pond of that name and on the Grand Trunk railway,
on which it is a station. In this town there are four saw-mills, one sash and door factory, one grist4nill, and
the others smaller and usually found in villages. The Lone Star Mine Co., operating for gold and. silver at the
point before mentioned, is a corporation of this town.
Woodstock comprises two half townships, one of which was granted by Massachusetts, June 14, 1800, to Dummer Academy,
and the other on February 7, 1807, to Gorham Academy. It was incorporated Feb. 7, 1815. Hamlinís Grant, a gore
of 1,270 acres, granted to Cyrus Hamlin in 1816, was annexed to Woodstock in 1872. The first settlement was made
in 1798, by Christopher and Solomon Bryant, sons of Solomon Bryant of Paris. Settlements were begun in other parts
of the town soon after. Lemuel Perham, an early settler, was the grandfather of ex-Governor Perharn, who was born
in this town, and in his youth cultivated one of these hill-side farms.
The religious societies in the town are the Methodist, Baptist and Universalist. Of the first there are three;
of the second two. There are four church edifices. The public seboohouses of Woodstock numbor eleven, and are valued
at $2,000. The population in 1870 was 995. In 1880 it was 952. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $204,907. In
1880 it was $196,035. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 86 mills on the dollar.