JOHNSTOWN was named in honor of John
Mott, a Quaker preacher, who lived in Jackson Co., Mich., and who, at an early day, purchased a large tract of
land in the southeastern part of Barry County, intending to send a colony of "Friends" thither. The project,
however, was abandoned, and the land was subsequently sold. As Mr. Mott, in accordance with Quaker customs, was
generally called "John" by his brethren in the faith, early settlers and land-seekers referred to this
locality as John's Town. Consequently, when the county was divided into four townships, in 1838, the southeastern
one received the name of Johnstown. In 1844 this township was divided, the western half retaining the old name.
In 1849 the northern half was set off under the name of Baltimore. Unless when it is otherwise stated, the name
of "Johnstown" will be applied in these pages to the district of which that township now consists, viz.,
survey-township No. 1 north, in range 8 west.
Johnstown is divided into two almost equal parts by a series of lakes which, with
their outlets, extend from near the western line of section 30 diagonally northeast across the township. Fine Lake,
the largest in the township, is the first in the chain. Saw-mill Lake and Bristol Lake are also of considerable
size. Their waters flow through Highbank Creek into the Thornapple River. The southeastern part of the township
is drained by a small stream that flows into the Kalamazoo River through Calhoun County. Along the west side of
the chain of lakes is a range of steep and in some places precipitous hills, which terminates in an elevated fertile
tract that originally consisted of prairie and scantily timbered belts. There are a number of low tracts and tamarack
swamps in the township, most of which can be drained. The tillable land is generally very productive.
In the year 1835, Harlow Merrill, a resident of Oswcgo Co., N. Y., reached Battle
Creek, Mich., and employed a man to assist him in locating a piece of government land. Mr. Merrill was conducted
along an Indian trail to the southern part of Johnstown. Here his guide pointed out a very fine piece, of about
80 acres, and told him how it was designated on the survey. This, without much delay, Mr. Merrill concluded to
buy. For that purpose he immediately returned to Battle Creek, and proceeded thence to the government land-office.
There the money was paid, and Mr. Merrill received a certificate showing his right to the land, to be afterwards
supplemented by a patent.
In the latter part of the summer of 1836, having made what preparation his very limited means would allow, and
accompanied by his wife, three sons, and two daughters, he started for the remote and almost unknown Territory
of Michigan. He drove a yoke of cattle attached to a covered wagon from Oswego to Buffalo, where the entire outfit
was placed on board a steamer bound for Detroit. The wheels were taken from the wagon and the covered box placed
on the deck, where it served as a sleeping-room.
At Detroit the younger members of the family, with their mother, resumed their places in the wagon. After a toilsome
journey of a week the little party reached Battle Creek. There Mr. Merrill left his family and proceeded to his
land in Johnstown.
Wishing to be more certain of the location of his property before building, he made an investigation, which showed
that the land he had seen was not that which ho had bought. Contrary to what might have been expected, however,
the land his certificate described, which was the east half of the northeast quarter of section 35, was nearly
as good as that which the guide had shown him. Not being much disappointed, and being inclined to consider all
things for the best, Mr. Merrill proceeded at once to build a cabin of poplar logs, with a roof made of slabs split
from a tree, and a floor of the same material. There was a place for a door and one for a window, but for the time
those places 'were left unoccupied. After bringing his family to their new home, Mr. Merrill split rails for Albert
Shepherd, near Battle Creek, and with the money received from him went to Toledo, Ohio, to purchase some necessary
articles. With his faithful cattle, he made the journey in about two weeks' time.
At intervals during several years Mr. Merrill was in the habit of working in Battle Creek, for which he was sometimes
paid money, but for which he generally received provisions, 'which he carried home on Saturday night on his back,
the distance being ten miles. At one time a party of Indians, who had been at Battle Creek and become intoxicated,
came to the house of Mr. Merrill, and, finding him and his elder sons absent, began to appropriate everything to
their own use. They were very ill tempered and boisterous, whooping and yelling continually. Watching his opportunity
when they were all outside, the youngest son, a lad of twelve years, who was at home with his mother and younger
sisters, bolted the door, and with a long iron-handled shovel took his place beside the window, declaring he would
kill the first that attempted to enter. The Indians swore all the English oaths they knew, but the little fellow
remained at his post. They even fired their guns into the window, but without effect. What might have happened
had this not been interrupted it is, of course, impossible to say, but at this point the elder sons, who had been
out hunting, returned home, when the Indians withdrew.
The same year that. Mr. Merrill settled in Johnstown, William P. Bristol, with five other land-seekers, came to
the township. Mr. Bristol finally resolved to buy 400 acres on section 4. Another of the party, Rufus Cole, decided
on the southwest quarter of section 17 for himself, and the northwest quarter of section 8 and the southwest quarter
of section 5 for his brother, Jason Cole. After traveling all day the party, headed by William Bristol, wont to
the Indian village on the bank of the body of 'water now known as Bristol Lake, and desired shelter for the night.
The village consisted of from 20 to 30 wigwams. The Indians received the travelers kindly through one of their
number, mamed Joseph, who could speak English. He informed them that the only lodge empty was that of the chief,
who was absent, and the door of whose lodge was locked. But after considerable deliberation among themselves, they
finally concluded to risk the anger of their chief rather than be inhospitable to strangers. The party was conducted
to the door referred to. It consisted of pieces of bark placed upright, and the lock was a slender pole leaned
against them, not to fasten them in their places, but to signify that the owner was absent. The "lock"
was removed and the party entered, passing the night in perfecct quiet.
Early in the year 1837, Stephen Collier reached the township and settled on section 34, just south of Mr. Merrill.
His family consisted of a wife and three children, two sons and a daughter. One of the sons, Victory P. Collier,
afterwards for two terms treasurer of the State of Michigan, was then a youth of twenty years.
The next settler was John Culver. He was employed by W. P. Bristol to come to Michigan and make some improvements
on the land in the northern part of the township which Mr. Bristol had bought the year previous. Mr. Culver was
to "build a log house, put in a field of corn, a patch of potatoes," and make some minor improvements,
for which he was to receive a quarter-section of land.
After many discouragements, which he was ill prepared to meet (the most serious of which was the destruction by
fire of his hay, which he had hauled from Gull Prairie, and the serious injury of his wagon at the same time),
he gave up, and, it is said, started to return to New York. Meeting a land-speculator, however, he purchased 120
acres on section 22, where he built a house much after the plan of Mr. Merrill's, into which he moved before it
was completed. Before it was completed, too, Thomas Iden, with his wife, four sons, and one daughter, arrived,
and they were all given shelter with the family of Mr. Culver until their goods should come from Detroit. Soon
after, William P. Bristol came with his wife, two sons, and three daughters. He found none of the improvements
which he expected, and no place for his family to live. There was still room in the little cabin of Mr. Culver
for a few more, and here Mr. Bristol decided to leave his family until he could build a house for them. On the
evening of the first day that Mr. Bristol reached the house of Mr. Culver, a party of surveyors also happened along.
These, with the members of the families referred to, made a total of 22 persons to pass the night beneath Mr. Culver's
roof. The example of the pioneers might well teach the present generation hospitality.
The next morning Mr. Bristol, with what aid he could obtain, started for his land and began to erect a house. But,
as this was to be some time in building, he took a very fine rag carpet which his wife had made in New York for
the floor of their new house, stretched it over a pole, and had quite a respectable tent. But it soon began to
bleach out., and when they moved into their new house some weeks after, the bright colors had all vanished.
In the fall and winter of 1837-38 several other families came to the township, that of S. V. R. York, who had purchased
a large tract on sections 28 and 29 the year previous, being among the number. Mr. York's family consisted of a
wife and three daughters. Sir. York was first judge of probate in the county. While living in Battle Creek, Mr.
York, with Rustin Angel and John Meechim, a surveyor, had been appointed to establish a road from Battle Creek
through Johnstown to Hastings. This road entered Johnstown near the southeast corner of section 33, ran northwest
to a point near the northwest corner of section 20, and thence extended due north on the line between sections
17, 8, and 5 on the east, and sections 18, 7, and 6 on the west. It has never been materially changed, and is now
known as the old State road. It was the first road located in the township, although a road previously had been
surveyed through the eastern part.
Mr. Henry Paul, who now resides on a farm near Fine Lake, was then a young man in the employ of Mr. York. He helped
locate this road, and drove the first team over it to the Thornapple River. He was married some years later to
a daughter of Elder Emery Cherry, the first preacher in Johnstown.
Elder Cherry came to this township in June, 1838, bringing his family, consisting of a wife, two boys, and two
girls, and settled on section 33.
Solomon GGetman settled on section 35 probably about the same time.
Nelson Barnum, with his wife and one son, and Jason Cole, with his wife, one son, and three daughters, reached
the township probably in the early summer of 1838. Mr. Barnum bought the southwest quarter of section 8. Mr. Cole,
as we have seen, owned 320 acres, purchased for him by his brother two years previous.
Oris Barnum, a brother of Nelson, came soon afterwards with a family of three children. Seth Hull, with his wife
and an adopted daughter, reached the township some time previous to this, and located 100 acres in the York neighborhood.
Alonzo Brundage arrived in the township in the winter of 1837-38. He bought part of section 31.
In the spring of 1838, Mr. Bristol started a blacksmithshop, and employed a young man named Erastus Johnson as
blacksmith. It was the first shop of the kind in this part of the county, and settlers frequently came as far as
from Hickory Corners to have 'work done.
It was in the spring of 1838 that Johnstown was formed. It contained at that time what are now the four townships
of Assyria, Maple Grove, Baltimore, and Johnstown. The first town-meeting was held at the house of William P. Bristol
on the 2d day of April, 1838. The number of voters present at this meeting is not certainly known, but it is thought
that it did not exceed the twelve whose names are given below ; all of whom received at least one office each,
while several of them obtained two or three offices apiece. The following is the list: Supervisor, S. V. R. York;
Clerk, Harlow Merrill; Commissioners of Highways, Cleaveland Ellis, William P. Bristol, Solomon Getman; Assessors,
William Sutton, Stephen Collier, John Culver; Justices, S. V. R. York, William P. Bristol, Cleaveland Ellis, Harlow
Merrill; School Inspectors, S. V. R. York, William Sutton, Harlow Merrill; Collector, John Culver; Constables,
Solomon Getman, Philo Morton; Overseers of the Poor, William Henry Smith, S. V. R. York; Fence-Viewers, Eli Lapham,
John Culver, S. V. R. York; Pathmasters, William P. Bristol, Thomas Iden.
Mr. Thomas Iden, already mentioned, died in the fall of 1838. There was then no cemetery in the township, and he
was taken to Battle Creek for burial. This was the first death in Johnstown.
In the spring of 1839, Henry P. Bowman located in the township. He was married in the fall of the same year to
Miss Mary Culver by Squire S. V. R. York. This, the first wedding in Johnstown, took place at the residence of
the bride's father, and the happy couple settled on a farm on section 29.
The same year a young man named Joseph Babcock came from New York and hired to work for Mr. Bristol "for a
bushel of wheat a day." He received for his services, at the expiration of six months, 150 bushels of wheat,
which he afterwards sold for 3 shillings per bushel in Battle Creek. It is related of Mr. Babcock that, while mowing
in the marsh just ahead of Mr. Bristol, he suddenly dropped his scythe and sprang back, with both hands clutching
the top of one of his boots. He whirled two or three times around, exclaiming, "Oh, I'm ruined, I'm ruined;
I'll be dead in an hour!" After many questions, Mr. Bristol finally understood that a rattlesnake was in Babcock's
boot. Every instant the terror of the latter increased. He was as white as a sheet and as weak as a child. He would
have his boot neither cut down nor pulled off, but sat on the ground lamenting his cruel fate. When he became a
little more quiet, Mr. Bristol pulled the boot off, and with it came the hind-legs of a frog.
It not unfrequently happened that little incidents came up to mar the friendly terms that usually existed between
the whites and the Indians, of which latter there were a great many in Johnstown in the early days. The following
is an instance: When the township offered a bounty of $2 for every wolf killed, several plans were resorted to
in order to catch the wily animals. John Culver made a "wolf-fall," which consisted of a hole dug to
a considerable depth, and so arranged that should anything fall into it, it could not get out. Upon going to his
trap one morning, Mr. Culver found a wolf (as he supposed) fairly caught in it. The animal was forthwith killed
and decapitated. But some of Mr. Culver's neighbors were not satisfied that it was a wolf, and an Indian, who was
passing, was called on to give his opinion. When he was shown the head, he looked uncertain, and asked for the
body. When the body was brought, the Indian shook his head, grunted "Chief's dog," and departed. The
chief was quite indignant, and demanded $10 for the slain animal, but finally compromised on $2.
At another time, when Mr. Bristol's hogs, which had destroyed a small patch of potatoes belonging to the Indians,
bad been terribly torn by their dogs, Mr. Bristol went alone to their camp and told them he would kill all their
dogs if his hogs were again so abused. The chief listened quietly, and then replied that they could settle better
if they should Wait and see whether the hogs lived or died. The hogs all recovered, and Mr. Bristol had nearly
forgotten the occurrence, when the chief one day called and demanded pay for the potatoes. This Mr. Bristol refused.
The chief looked grieved, and said, " Hogs all get well, potatoes all destroyed." His philosophy was
too much for Mr. Bristol, who gave him twice as many potatoes as he demanded and a large plug of tobacco. The chief
said, "Big good," and went his way.
Mr. Bristol, who had become quite expert at the anvil, made a rude knife one day for an Indian at his request.
While at work he asked the Indian if he had any money, and the latter replied that he had not. The knife was completed
and handed over to the red man without further remark. A long time passed, when one day the same Indian, with a
hind-quarter of a large deer on his back, came to the door of Mr. Bristol's house and laid down his burden, with
the exclamation, "Indian houest, Indian pay."
The red men of Johnstown displayed many good traits. Their universal good-will and kindness to the early settlers
is still the occasion of gratitude on the part of those who shared their hospitality. Further information regarding
the Indians of this region may be found in the general history.
From the year 1839 until all the tillable land was occupied tile settlement of Johnstown was very rapid.
The first road in Johnstown, as has been stated, was the Old or West State road,
which was established in 1837. The next road was established June 12, 1838. It lay on the base-line, commencing
just east of the southeast corner of section 35; thence west to the southeast corner of section 34. It was established
by William P. Bristol and Solomon Getman, commissioners.
The next day the road north from the western terminus of this one was established. It ran north between sections
34 and 35, 26 and 27 ; thence northwest to a quarter-post on the south line of section 22, from which place it
extended northwest to the section-line between see' tious 21 and 22. It was about two and one-half miles long.
On the 14th of the same month a road was located, running north between the West State road and the one just described.
This highway commenced on the base-line on section 33, and terminated at the quarter-post on the north line of
section 9. The road between the townships of Johnstown and Barry was established June 24, 1839.
These roads were the lines of travel for emigrants into thc townships and to the country on the north of Johnstown.
The east-and-west roads have been established as the settlements in the various localities required.
At a meeting of the board of school inspectors, held on the 9th day of April,
1838, the northern half of the present territory of Johnstown and all of Baltimore were formed into one school
district, called district No. 1. District No. 2 comprised what is now Maple Grove and Assyria, while district No.
3 comprised the southern half of the present territory of Johnstown. On the 9th of September, 1838, districts 1
and 3 were rearranged. Survey-township No. 1, range 8 (now Johnstown), was then divided into three school districts,
as follows: The southwestern quarter of t.he township was district No. 1 ; the southeastern quarter was district
No. 2; while the northwestern quarter was No. 3. The northeastern quarter was left unorganized.
It is probable that until this time there bad been no public schools in the township, although there had been two
terms of a private school taught by Miss Sarah Curtis. One term was taught by her in the house of W. P. Bristol,
in the northern part of the township, for which she received S1.50 per week. Her other term was taught in the house
of Seth Hull, who with his wife had gone to Hastings to board the men who were building a mill at that place. It
is not definitely known which of these terms was the first.
The first school building completed in Johnstown stood on the southwest quarter of section 28, and was built in
1840. A school building in the north part of the township had been commenced, but had not been completed. Walter
Woodard taught the first school in the new building.
The school board next divided the district in the northern part of the township. The new one consisted of sections
3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, and was designated as district No. 4. It was in the Bristol neighborhood, and the school-house
which had been commenced was then completed. It served until the present fine building was erected, a few years
since. In 1843 the number of districts in the four townships which then composed Johnstown was eight, but schools
were kept in only six of them. -The number of scholars is not given. The money apportioned among the districts
amounted to $33. The first applicants for certificates to teach are recorded May 6, 1843, their names being Cordelia
Robinson and Caroline Robinson. Both were successful. On the 9th of December, of the same year, Sally Maria Woodward
received a certificate.
After Baltimore was set off from Johnstown there were five school districts and 118 scholars enrolled in the latter
township. The amount of interest on the school fund was $46.24.
In 1860 the number of scholars was 300; the number of districts nine; the amount of money apportioned among them
$152.72. In 1870 the amount distributed was $373.92. In 1879 there were eleven districts (whole and fractional),
with an attendance of 400 scholars.
Soon after his arrival, in 1838, Elder Emery Cherry began to hold religious meetings
in various parts of the township. When Elder York arrived the two denominations to which they respectively belonged
(Baptist and Free-Will Baptist) held services together. They usually met at the school-house in the York neighborhood.
It is believed, however, that a church organization was not effected, and after a few years the meetings were discontinued.
THE WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH.
In the mean time two ministers of the Wesleyan Methodist Church began a series
of meetings, and, although they did not organize a class, these meetings were really the beginning of the Methodist
Church of Johnstown. This society was organized soon sfter and has continued to meet to the present time. There
is a diversity of opinion as to who the minister was who first organized the class. In the fall of 1864 Rev. William
Rice was assigned to this charge. He soon commenced a series of meetings, which were very successful. The church
was completed during his ministry. It was dedicated on the 18th of June, 1867, the pastor being assisted by Dr.
Hatfield. It cost $4000.
THE FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
In 1865 Rev. H. H. Van Auken commenced to hold meetings in the school house of
district No. 4. The organizing of the society of the First Congregational Church of Johnstown was the result of
his labors. Rev. Jones had held meetings in the same place, but without definite result. On March 6, 1865, the
first annual meeting of the society was held. The church building on section 12 was built in 1866.
The first and only saw-mill in Johnstown run by water was commenced where the
road crosses the outlet of Culver or Saw-mill Lake, by Andrew Corey. Mr. Corey soon sold a half share to Simeon
Diedrich, but Mr. Diedrich could not stand the ague, so he sold to Mr. Bristol, by whom the mill was completed.
A steam saw-mill was afterwards built on section 34. Frederick Aekley also built one on section 4 in 1850.
The building used as a store in the west part of the town was built in 1876 by
H. F. Bellenger. The post-office at this place was established in 1880. The store in the east part of the town
was started by L. N. Mosier in 1879.
1838, S. V. R. York; 1839-40, Nelson Barnum; 1841, Oris Barnum; 1842, Cleveland Ellis; 1843-44, T. J. Humphrey;
1845, Henry P. Bowman; 1846, Jason Cowles; 1846-47, John Culver; 1849-50, Jonathan Johnson; 1851, John Culver;
1852, H. P. Bowman; 1853, W. Nye; 1854, J. H. Monroe; 1855, W. P. Bristol; 1856, Jason Cowles; 1857, James Telford;
1858, C. P. Iden; 1859-61, James Teiford; 1862-64, Levi M. Dewey; 1865-67, Hiram Coleman 1868-70, L. M. Dewey;
1871-73, J. H. Monroe; 1874-77, L. M. Dewey; 1878, J. M. Kipp; 1879-80, E. F. Nye.
1838-42, Harlow Merrill; 1843, V. P. Collier; 1844, T. P. Dowling; 1845-46, V. P. Collier; 1847-50. H. P. Bowman;
1851, H. M. Marvin; 1852, C. P. Iden; 1853, H. P. Bowman; 1854, O. Nichols; 1855, C. P. Iden 1856-62, H. P. Cherry;
1863, H. J. Brown; 1864-70, H. P. Cherry; 1871-72, E. F. Nye; 1873, J. Johnson; 1874-78, E. F. Nye; 1879, R. M.
Bellenger; 1880, E. P. Young.
1839-41, Cleaveland Ellis; 1842, T. J. Humphrey; 1843-45, John Culver; 1846, C. P. Iden; 1847, Henry York; 1848,
B. R. Blanchard; 1849, C. P. Iden; 1850, E. Gregory; 1851, C. P. Iden; 1852, W. Nyc; 1853, John Culver; 1854, W.
B. Woodward; 1855-61, Henry Paul; 1862-64, Freeman G. Cowles; 1865-66, J. M. Kipp; 1867-68, William Burroughs;
1869-70, D. H. Chase; 1871, Henry Bera; 1872, J. Johnson; 1873, E. F. Nye; 1874, J. Johnson; 1875-78, George Miller;
1879-80, Hiram Merrill.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.
1838, S. V. R. York, William P. Bristol, Cleaveland Ellis, Harlow Merrill; 1839, Joseph Blasdell; 1840, William
Sutton; 1841, Nelson Barnum; 1842, H. P. Bowman, James Cotton; 1843, Jason Cowles, Joseph Blasdell; 1844, Henry
York, William Bristol; 1S45, Jason Cowles; 1846, H. P. Cherry; 1847, O. L. Ross; 1848, W. P. Bristol; 1849, Jason
Cowles; 1850, T. B. Hinchman; 1851, O. L. Ross, J. Melvin; 1852, W. P. Bristol, J. Hovey; 1853, Jason Cowles, R.
Farr; 1854, Julian Fish; 1855, H. P. Cherry; 1856, W. P. Bristol; 1857, A. Patchen, Hiram Coleman, W. B. Woodward;
1858, Julian Fish, J. H. Monroe, W. H. Jewell; 1859, L. Lee Clark; 1860, Hiram Coleman; 1861, John Monroe; 1862,
H. P. Bowman; 1863, J. K. Lothridge, John Maile; 1864, Hiram Coleman, W. P. Bristol; 1865, C. G. Jordan; 1866,
John Maile, J. H. Monroe; 1867, D. Fisher; 1868, D. H. Chase, W. P. Bristol; 1869, J. H. Monroe, H. Coleman, G.
W. Sheffield, J. S. Stevens; 1870, W. M. Burroughs, J. Johnson; 1811, W. P. Bristol, L. D. Tarbell, C. B. idea;
1872, Hiram Coleman, J. H. Monroe, Joseph Johnson, Henry Paul; 1873, John Zimmerman; 1874, Willis Humphrey, F.
E. Doty; 1875, Wesley Clark, Asahel Beach, A. E. Dewey; 1876, W. A. Clark, J. A. Zimmerman, H. Coleman; 1877, L.
N. Mosier; 1878, J. T. Van Syckle; 1879, W. A. Clark; 1880, Hiram Coleman.
COMMISSIONERS OF HIGHWAYS.
1838, Cleaveland Ellis, William P. Bristol, Solomon Getman; 1839, William P. Bristol, Rufus Cowles, Cleaveland
Ellis; 1840, Cleaveland Ellis, Rufus Cowles. Carver Robinson; 1841, Cleaveland Ellis, V. P. Collier, Rufus Cowles;
1842, C. P. White, D. Baldwin, Oris Barnum; 1843, Carver Robinson, Daniel Baldwin, Alonzo Brundage; 1844, Alonzo
Brundage, C. Robinson, J. D. Hasley; 1845, J. D. Hasley, E. R. Gregory, Henry Pane; 1846, J. D. Hasley, E. R. Gregory,
W. Campbell; 1847, R. Farr, W. Nye, Luoas Wilke; 1848, G. W. Campbell; 1849, E. Gregory, T. Cowles; 1850, Henry
Morehouse; 1851-52, William P. Bristol; 1853, Orin Ross, T. J. Humphrey; 1854, E. Gregory, N. P. Powers; 1855,
C. G. Jordan, Robert Knowels; 1856, Tremont Cowles; 1857, Cyrus Ingram, John H. Monroe; 1858, Whitney Abbott, Jerry
Powers; 1859, J. S. Stevens; 1860, M. H. Coleman; 1861, Julien Fish; 1862, A. Dewey; 1863, M. H. Coleman; 1864,
William P. Bristol; 1865, J. A. Zimmerman; 1866, M. H. Colman; 1867, W. P. Bristol; 1868, H. T. Merrill; 1869,
M. Coleman; 1870, C. G. Jordan ; 1871, Asahel Beach, H. T. Merrill; 1872, H. T. Merrill; 1873, A. G. Dewey; 1874,
Asahel Beach, J. M. Ripp; 1875, H. T. Merrill; 1876-77. A. Beach, Jr.; 1878, J. Stevens, Elias Bristol; 1879-80,
W. A. Clark.
1838, S. V. R. York, William Sutton, Harlow Merrill; 1839, S. V. R. York, Nelson Barnum, Stephen Raymond; 1840,
Henry P. Bowman, S. V. R. York, Harlow Merrill; 1841, Barlow Merrill, V. P. Collier, Nelson Barnum; 1842, E. Giles,
A. Harwood, V. P. Collier; 1843, Henry P. Bowman, Barlow Merrill; 1844, William H. Bull; 1845, H. Merrill, Jason
Cowles; 1846. D. W. Shotwell; 1S47, 0. L. Ross; 184S, H. M. Marvin; 1849, Jason Cowles; 1850, H. M. Marvin; 1851-52,
H. P. Bowman; 1853, E. B. Willison; 1854, Theodore Cressey: 1855, James Telford, Jason Cowles; 1856, Jason Cowleo;
1857, J. S. Rouse; 1858, N. B. Abbott; 1859, J. S. Rouse, John Maile; 1860, James Telford, Theodore Cressey; 1861,
J. D. Buck; 1862, J. H. Holmes; John Maile; 1863, John Maile; 1864, J. H. Holmes; 1865, Theodore Cressey; 1866,
J. H. Holmes, John Maile; 1867, H. H. Van Auken, John Maile; 1868, D. H. Chase, George Sheffield; 1862, George
Sheffield; 1870, D. H. Chase; 1871, G. T. Cowles; 1872, A. C. Stiles, C. P. Iden; 1873, Hiram Coleman ; 1874, F.
E. Booty, H. M. Bristol; 1875. Melvin Willison; 1876, record deficient; 1877, J. H. Norris; 1878, Ralph Webster;
1879, Edward Young; 1880, Willard Sylvester Nye.
1838, John Culver; 1839, Rufus Cowles; 1840, Harvey Paul; 1841, C. P. White.
1838, Nelson Barnum, Joseph S. Blasdell, Harlow Merrill; 1840, J. S. Blasdell, Stephen Collier, Alonzo Brundage;
1841, no record; 1842, .J. S. Blasdell, W. P. Bristol; 1843, Henry York, J. F. Ellis; 1844, W. P. Bristol, F. B.
Humphrey; 1845, Stephen Collier, William Nye; 1846, Stephen Collier, Oris Barnum; 1847, B. H. Blanchard. W. Nye;
1848, A. Patchen, D. Shotwell; 1849, John Culver, W. B. Woodward; 1850, Elias Willison, H. M. Marvin.
OVERSEERS OF THE POOR.
1838, William Henry Smith, S. V. R. York; 1839, S. V. R. York, Cleaveland Ellis; 1840, W. P. Bristol, John Culver;
1841, Daniel Baldwin, Austin Wright; 1842, John Culver, Richard McCumber; 1843, E. Mills, Abel Ilalleck; 1844,
Reuben Farr, Solomon Getman; 1846, Jason Cowles, Moses Farr; 1847, H. D. York; 1848, F. Coles, S. Collier; 1849,
John Culver, Thomas Hinchman; 1850, C. Robinson, W. L. Morford; 1854, William Quinn, Lucus Wilks; 1858, Henry York,
SUPERINTENDENTS OF SCHOOLS.
1875, T. E. Duty; 1876, F. E. Dodge; 1877, M. V. Bsrker; 1878, J. H. Wickwire; 1879, M. V. Barker; 1880, Thomas
1838, John Culver, Solomon Getman, Philo Norton; 1839, Rufus Cowles, Philo Norton, Solomon Getman; 1840, James
Bailey, Henry Paul; 1841, C. P. White, G. W. Campbell, Rufus H. Knappen, Leander Lapham; 1842, G. W.Campbell, Henry
Paul, Peter Downs, L. Lapham; 1843, James L. Fox, Henry Paul, William H. Hull, C. P. White; 1844, R. H. Knappen,
M. D. Perkins, Henry York, Henry Paul; 1845, Rufus H. Knappen, John B. Cherry; 1846, Henry Paul, R. H. Knappen,
J. B. Cherry, T. G. Cole; 1847, S. Robinson, H. York, Jr., M. Merrill, Aaron Smith; 1848, George Fisk, M. D. Perkins,
Henry Paul, H. T. Merrill; 1849, Henry Paul, A. Morford, Jason Rouse; 1850, Henry Paul, Jason Merrill, Jason Russell,
William Shutt; 1851, Henry Paul, John Irwin, Webster Powers, N. F. Powers; 1852, W. M. Bristol, B. W. King, S.
Hovey, H. Paul; 1853, W. Bristol, Jesse Butler, John Lake; 1854, Henry Paul, Ambrose Cole, Philo Shaffer, Orville
Crandall; 1855, Lyman Moon, Charles Bristol, Henry Paul, Norman Clark; 1S56, Charles Cherry, S. V. R. York, Hiram
Gould, B. W. King; 1857, Henry Paul, S. V. R. York, Hiram Gould, Daniel Clark; 1858, S. V. R. York, Hiram Gould,
Henry Paul, Walter Robins; 1859, T. J. Humphrey, S. V. R. York, Henry Paul, S. Bultis; 1860, Henry Paul, Webster
Powers, Richard Perkins, S. V. R. York; 1861, Jacob Hoffman, John H. Teller, Henry Paul, Waiter Powers; 1862, Henry
Paul, J. A. Teller. T. J. Cowles, Jerry Powers; 1863, Henry Paul, T. G. Cowles, Henry Knowels, David Boyes; 1864,
Henry Paul, B. Babcock, P. U. Cowles, H. Bristol; 1S65, J. Zimmerman, W. M. Burroughs, S. V. R. York, Henry Paul;
1866, William Coleman, William Quinn, William Burroughs, Myron Stevens; 1S67, B. Sponhower, John Teller, C. Tichnor,
C. Shoemaker; 1868, omitted; 1869, D. H. Chase, S. V. R. York, S. E. Gaskill; 1870, J. Zimmerman, C. J. Shoemaker,
W. H. Coleman, Willard Nyc; 1871, Henry Hera, W. Burroughs, M. V. Bird, J. M. Knapp; 1872, William Burroughs, S.
V. R. York, Isaac Cox, James Van Sickle; 1873, James Van Sickle, Lewis Drew, Josiah Hough, A. C. Style; 1874, S.
V. R. York, James Johnson, G. T. Cowles. Lewis Drew; 1875, Charles Shoemaker, W. S. Nye, George Browse, George
Bird; Nye, record omitted; 1877, W. S. Nye, C. S. Shoemaker, A. E. Dewey, J. H. Powers; 1878, J. H. Hough. C. Shoemaker,
H. C. Van Sickle, J. E. Howarth; 1879, Frank Cherry, Henry Miller, W. J. Shutt, C. H. Stevens; 1880, W. S. Nye,
W. J. Shalt, Henry Stevens, William Clark.