SODUS, a fractional township (known as town 5 south, range 18 west), lying on
t.he east bank of the St. Joseph River, contains but about twenty sections, which, however, cover a fine farming
region. The surface of the territory is generally level, and the soil being well adapted to the culture of fruit,
that branch of agriculture is extensively pursued, although the peach yield, formerly a source of considerable
annual revenue, has latterly failed for a few years. The township is bounded on the north by Benton, on the south
by Berrien, on the east by Pipestone, and on the west by Royalton, from which latter it is separated by the St.
Joseph River. Pipestone Creek, which flows through the northern part of the township into the river, furnishes
good water-power for three grist-mills and two saw-mills. No railway has yet traversed the township, and as at
a recent election the citizens opposed aid to a projected line, railway communication is scarcely to be regarded
as a thing of the near future. Indeed, the market-towns of Benton Harbor and St. Joseph are so convenient of access
that no urgent need of a railway is apparent.
Sodus possesses an important milling interest, which has been encouraged by the fine water-power of Pipestone Creek,
although that power, abundant until lately, is said to be decreasing. The site of James B. Larue's saw mill, the
first mill erected in the township, is occupied by Orlando Cowles’ grist-mill, besides which there are on Pipestone
Creek the grist mills of Kinney & Rector and Haskins Brothers. These mills drive a flourishing trade, and gain
considerable business from even Royalton, whose inhabitants prefer in many instances to go to mill in Sodus rather
than in St. Joseph, which latter is at least somewhat more convenient. Besides the mills named, there are, on Pipestone
Creek, Orlando Cowles’ saw mill and John Randall’s saw-mill and bending-works.
As to postal facilities, the town has a daily mail, and has had a post-office since the township organization,
in 1860. Francis Finnegan was the first postmaster; the second was De Golyer King, the third David Daniels, and
the fourth Robert Hogue, who is the present incumbent. The town has no village; neither has it. a store or place
of trade of any description within its limits. This condition of things is, however, of but trifling inconvenience,
since Benton Harbor is quickly and easily reached, and since, too, journeys to that point are frequent and necessary
in the general course of events.
SETTLEMENT AND SETTLERS.
In the summer of 1835, William H. and David S. Rector, two brothers, living in
the town of Sodus, N. Y., conceived the project of traveling westward for the purpose of prospecting for the improvement
of their fortunes. They made a journey by way of the great lakes as far as St. Joseph, and engaged at once in the
business of boating on the St. Joseph River. Of that method of gaining a livelihood David soon grew weary, and
in the autumn returned to New York, followed in December by his brother William In the spring of 1836 they determined
to return to Michigan, and took with them a younger brother named Hiram. At Buffalo they bargained to take charge
of the keel-boat Niles,” which was to be towed to St. Joseph, and David, Hiram, and three other men embarked on
board the “ Niles.” Soon after leaving Buffalo a violent storm arose, and the “Niles,” parting company with the
steamer that was towing her, drifted upwards of one hundred miles. When the storm abated the five drifting mariners
manned the oars, and brought the “Niles” safely into port at Cleveland, after what may be easily understood to
have been a somewhat perilous time.
Finally, the three brothers reached St. Joseph, and after a brief season spent with William and Hiram in riverboating,
David made an engagement to assist in the erection of a saw mill on Pipestone Creek (in what is now section 3 of
Sodus township) for James B. Larue, then employed in the lumber trade in St. Joseph. David Rector worked for Larue
three years, and in 1839 moved upon a tract of 120 acres, now in section 14 of Sodus, where he now lives. That
piece of land he had entered in 1837, and at odd times during his three years’ service with Mr. Larue he did something
towards clearing it.
In 1836, David Rector, the father of the three brothers, came from Sodus, N. Y., to St. Joseph with the rest of
his family, and, entering 40 acres of land adjoining his son David’s farm, moved out with his family in the fall
of 18:37, Hiram also accompanying him. There the elder Rector lived until his death, in 1862. Hiram lived with
his father a few years, and then moved to a farm upon section 23, where he has since continued to reside. William
H. Rector lived in St. Joseph until 1842, when he too became a pioneer, and settled upon a farm adjoining those
of his father and brother David. There he died Dec. 6, 1878. The only children of David Rector now living in Sodus
are David S. and Hiram, the oldest residents in the township and worthy representatives of Sodus’ pioneer settlers,
themselves in the very front rank of those who came to make homes within the forest wilds.
James B. Larue, of whom mention has been made in the foregoing, migrated from New Jersey to Michigan in 1835, and
located at St. Joseph. He purchased considerable land in what is now Sodus, and, as already observed, built a sawmill
on Pipestone Creek in the year 1836. At this mill, which was the first mill erected in the township, and in short
the first improvement of any kind, he sawed lumber and transported it to St. Joseph, where he lived and traded
as a lumber merchant. In 1841, Mr. Larue gave up his residence in St. Joseph, and located, with his family, upon
a farm near his Pipestone Creek saw mill. There be remained, milling and farming, until 1850, when he took the
California gold fever, and emigrated, with his family, to the Pacific slope, where, he died.
When Larue put up his mill, in 1836, there was one white settler in the town, and he was the pioneer of that region.
His name was Scott, and his location was on section 22, near the river, where Luke Sharrai now lives. There he
put up a log cabin and cleared a few acres of land, but he moved away after a brief sojourn. Closely following
Scott was Charles Palmer, who came from New York, with his wife, in 1837, and located upon a 40 acre farm in section
15. He too grew tired of his new home very soon, and trading his forty acres to William H. Rector for a gun and
an old horse, departed for other scenes. Scott and Palmer were settlers, it is true, but they remained so short
a time that their historical prominence in that direction cannot be considered as very important. David Rector
the elder, who was next to Palmer in order of settlement, must, accordingly, be regarded as the pioneer among the
For some years after David Rector located in the township settlements were few and slowly made. Mr. David S. Rector
says that when he was married, in 1843, be had no neighbor, save his father and brother, nearer than two miles.
He says that the settlers were exceedingly few in number at that date, and that when a resident could, upon arising
in the morning, bear the distant crow of a rooster, it made him feel as if matters were indeed getting pleasant
and neighborly after all. Land along the river was in the bands of speculators, who, deeming that section worth
a trifle more per acre than that of the interior, held it at first at such high figures as to frighten away all
purchasers. About 1840, the speculators receded from their original views, and the river lands then began to receive
Joseph W. Brewer, from Ohio, was among the first to locate in that region. He had been living at St. Joseph, and
boating on the river. About 1840 he bought a tract upon section 16, where Mr. Thaddeus Drew now lives. About that
time, too, Ebenezer Farley located land on section 22, but continuing himself to run on the river, as he had been
doing for some time, he engaged laborers to clear his land for him. Upon his marriage, soon afterwards, he moved
to his farm, and there continued to reside with his family until 1854, when he left for California.
James McDougall, of Montgomery Co., N. Y., made a journey in 1837, with his son Elijah, aged fifteen, from New
York State to Michigan, via the Erie Canal and the lakes. He purchased of one Noyes 40 acres of land in Royalton
township, and with his son went upon the place at once and began to clear it. He sent word to his wife to join
him, and she, with seven children, traveled in 1839 to their new Michigan home, by way of the canal and lakes,
and found upon her arrival that her husband had busied himself to some purpose in preparing a comfortable house
and in making the land productive. Unfortunately for Mr. McDougall, he failed to obtain a good title from Noyes,
and so, despite the fact that he had paid money on account of the purchase and had expended much labor upon the
farm, he was obliged to relinquish it in 1840, and lost both his labor and the purchase-money he had paid. He remained
in St. Joseph a short time, and in 1841 purchased of James B. Larue 130 acres of land on the St. Joseph River,
in partnership with Francis Versaw, formerly of Canada, later engaged in the West in cutting out State roads and
boating on the river, and at the time of his land purchase with Mr. McDougall living in St. Joseph. McDougall and
Versaw went together to the land, began to clear it, and put up a cabin. Soon after, Versaw married one of McDougall’s
daughters, and dividing the 130 acres with his father-in-law, took that part now owned by James A. Kright, on section
10 in Sodus. Mr. McDougall’s part is now owned by David Moore. McDougall lived there until 1872, when he moved
to Nebraska, and there he still resides. His children now living in Sodus are Mrs. Francis Versaw and Mrs. Hannah
Finnegan. Mr. Versaw remained on his farm until 1853, when he removed to his present place of residence, on section
When McDougall and Versaw moved in there was no river-road, and they were the first ones to cut out anything like
a thoroughfare in that vicinity. At that time Luke Sharrai had a farm on the river, where he now lives, but he
was not occupying it himself. Sharrai came from Canada when but eight years old, with his father’s family, which
consisted of the parents and eight children. They journeyed by water to Detroit, and from that point they traveled
almost the entire distance on foot to Bertrand, in Berrien County, where they settled in 1828. When Lake became
a stout lad he took employment on a St. Joseph River keelboat, and followed the river for several years. As already
mentioned, he purchased a farm on the river, a place where Scott, the first settler, squatted, and where, after
Scott, one Foster took up his habitation,—and engaged his brother Tenos, then living in Bainbridge, to occupy and
cultivate it for him, while he (Luke) continued to follow the river. Tenos lived upon the place about a year, and
then moved upon a place of his own, adjoining that of Luke. The latter gave up his river employment soon after,
and settling on his farm, has lived there until the present time. Previous to occupying it himself, he employed
his brother-in-law, a Mr. Lapham, and after him Benjamin Beny, to cultivate the place, but neither remained long,
Mr. Sharrai eventually taking possession in 1847.
Asa T. Tinkham came from New York in 1844, and located, with his family, in Sodus, where he had purchased 40 acres.
Mr. Tinkham resided there until a few years ago, when he moved to Hagar township.
Peter Shook, an aged man, visited what is now Sodus in 1844, in the interest of an Ohio nursery, and sold quite
a number of fruit-trees in this region. Believing the river lands to be capable of producing liberally, he bought
a farm from Edward Smith, a resident of Royalton, and set out an orchard. He sent to Ohio for his wife and four
children, and began to devote himself to fruit culture with considerable energy, but death ended his projects in
1846. His widow moved to St. Joseph County, and died there in 1877. Shook’s farm was purchased by Peter Sharrai
(brother to Luke), of Bainbridge, who settled upon it with his family in 1846. He remained there until 1854 (selling
his farm to Wallis Tabor, who still resides upon it), when he emigrated to Kansas, but returned in 1868 to Sodus,
where he has since continued to reside.
Luke Versaw brother to Francis moved from New York State in 1845, with his wife, to Michigan, and bought of Napoleon
Smith 40 acres of land on the river, the farm being the one now occupied by Ernest Tabor. In 1850 Versaw left Michigan
for the Pacific, whence, however, he returned in 1851 and settled upon the farm which he now occupies.
Other early settlers on the river were a Mr. Ferguson and his son-in-law, Jacob Young, who subsequently left the
township and have to-day no descendants therein. John Cowen, who settled near Ferguson, sold his place to Hiram
Herrick and moved to Royalton. S. H. Salpaugh and Cicero Towner, of New York, located on the river in 1851. Mm.
Salpaugh still lives on the place he first occupied. In the part of the township removed from the river, mention
may be made of Benjamin Clifton, of South Bend, Ind., who in 1845 purchased 500 acres of land on section 24, and
with his family moved upon his possessions. He lived there until 1856, when he moved to Berrien, after selling
the larger part of his purchase of 500 acres to Mr. John Gano.
In 1844, Isaac W. Chadwick, young man living in Chautauqua Co., N. Y., started from home for Wisconsin, where he
intended to locate. When he reached Buffalo he became so favcrably impressed with the reports he heard there of
the advantages of Michigan, that he resolved to go to that State instead, of Wisconsin, and journeying by way of
Lake Erie to Detroit., walked from that place to Pipestone township, where he found one Mr. Abbott, a friend, with
whom he stopped. There Isaac was joined soon afterwards by his father and mother, with whom came also two children.
They all lived with Mr. Abbott until May, 1845, when Isaac bought 40 acres of land on section 11, now in Sodus
township, the place being the present property of De Golyer King. The land was new, and Isaac with his father entered
at once upon the business of clearing it. All lived there until 1854, when they removed to Iowa, where they remained
three years, but, disliking that region, returned again to Sodus, where Isaac bought the place he now occupies,
and with him there his father lived until his death, in 1873. Isaac’s brother William, who came out in 1844 with
his father, worked in various places until 1847, and then settled upon a place now occupied by the United Brethren
church in Sodus, his purchase having been made from Hickson W. Field, who had sold land to Isaac, and who was the
speculative owner also of large tracts of land in the vicinity. William followed Isaac to Iowa in 1S55, returned
to Sodus in 1860, went back to Iowa in 1862, and now lives there.
Abner Buekman, a young man living in Ohio, walked to Michigan in 1844, and visited Pipestone township, where he
remained t.wo years, and then located in the present township of Sodus, upon the place he now occupies. The country
was new, and Mr. Buckman was a pioneer in that part in every sense of the word. His brother Edward, who settled
near him about 1842, died there in 1860.
James Haskins, now of Pipestone, was then a settler upon the place now occupied by John Buckman; and adjoining
Abner Buckman on the west was Hiram Ryther, who soon moved away after selling out to Daniel Lawrence, who died
there. The property is now occupied by his heirs.
Jonathan Foster and his father Solomon worked at Larue’s saw mill when it was being erected, and subsequently settled
in the town, although not permanently. Jonathan was a strong Methodist, and frequently preached on Sundays at the
town school-house. He was radical in his religious views, and sought upon every occasion to urge them upon whoever
chanced to be near. One day, sitting with’ other laborers at dinner, he took occasion to lecture one Doyle, a Catholic,
and persistently attempted to convert him to the Methodist faith. Doyle was much annoyed but not convinced by Foster’s
arguments, and more than once requested him to desist. Foster, however, plied his persuasive efforts all the more,
until his victim, becoming incensed beyond endurance, suddenly put his hand into the gravy dish, and with one swoop
of his arm so bespattered Foster with the greasy liquid that he fled in confusion and dismay from the scene, and
never after attempted to argue theologically with the emphatic Doyle.
Among the early settlers of Berrien County who are now living in Sodus is John B. Rush, who came with his fhther,
Henry Rush, from Virginia to Berrien township in 1835; George Keigley, who settled in the county in 1840; and Wallace
Tabor, who settled at about the same time. Sarah Dunbar, wife of Lyman Dunbar, and daughter of John Johnston (who
settled in Berrien County, 1825), was the first white female child born in Berrien County, and now lives in Sodus.
Her brother, born at the same place and two years earlier, died at the age of twelve years.
Many of the early settlers in Sodus followed the river for a livelihood, even after becoming settlers, for that
avenue of industry offered a means of obtaining funds to supply pressing necessities, of which the pioneers invariably
stood in need without possessing the means to obtain them. As a general rule, what ready money they could command
went for their land, and while awaiting the growth of crops they were of course compelled to labor for others to
obtain the needed cash for the family support. Employment on the river was almost always obtainable, for the river
carrying trade in the pioneer days engaged many boats and many people, and so it was that the Sodus pioneers, like
the pioneers in all the river townships, were boatmen to a greater or less extent.
Luke Sharrai, who has been mentioned as having followed the river for some time after he bought land in Sodus,
built the first finished frame house in the town. Ebenezer Farley, also a boatman and a steamboat captain, erected
the first frame for a house, but he did not finish it, and thus Sharrai's seems entitled to the precedence.
The State opened roads in 1842, running north and south through the township,
but town roads were at that time exceedingly few. Even at that date many settlers were compelled to cut out roads
to the farms upon which they proposed to locate. Along the river this want of roads was not so badly felt, because
the river itself offered an excellent thoroughfare by which pioneers could reach river farms, and for this reason
there appeared to be no haste towards laying out roads in that region.
TOWNSHIP ORGANIZATION AND
Upon the application of John Gano and 243 other Citizens of Pipestone, a portion
of that territory was set off and organized, Oct. 11, 1859, into a separate township with the name of Sodus. At
a preliminary meeting of the applicants, Mr. David S. Rector was called upon to suggest a name for the proposed
township, and when he presented the name of Sodus, in recollection of Sodus, N. Y., whence he came to Michigan,
that designation was adopted. The first township-meeting was held at the Rector school-house, on the first Monday
in April, 1860, and from that time to 1879, inclusive, the offices of supervisor, clerk, and treasurer have been
filled by the following-named persons:
1860.-Supervisor, B. S. Carpenter; Clerk, R. E. Hull; Treasurer, James Trowbridge.
1861-62.-Supervisor, Josephus Fisher; Clerk, James S. Twitchell; Treasurer, P. W. Webb.
1863.-Supervisor, Josephus Fisher; Clerk, Luther Hemingway; Treasurer. P. W. Webb.
1864-66.--Supervisor, Josephus Fisher: Clerk, Charles T. Hogue; Treasurer, N. C. Brown.
1867.-Supervisor, Josephus Fisher; Clerk, Luther Hemingway; Treasurer, Charles T. Hogue.
1868.-Supervisor, Josephus Fisher; Clerk, Charles T. Hogue; Treasurer, P. W. Webb.
1869.-Supervisor, Frederick T. King; Clerk, Charles T. Hogue; Treasurer, Orrin Brown.
1870.-Supervisor, Josephus Fisher; Clerk, Frederick F. King; Treasurer, David Daniels.
1871.-Supervisor, Luther Hemingway; Clerk, Frederick F. King; Treasurer, F. R. Cowles.
1872-73.--Supervisor, Frederick F. King: Clerk, Charles T. Hogue; Treasurer, William L. King.
1874-75.-Supervisor, Frederick F. King; Clerk, Charles T. Hogue; Treasurer. Josephus Fisher.
1876.-Supervisor, Robert M. Hogue; Clerk, Charles T. Hogue; Treasurer, .Josephus Fisher.
1877.-Supervisor, Robert M. Hogue; Clerk, Charles T. Hogue; Treasurer, Orrin Brown.
1878.-Supervisor, Orson Ingalebee; Clerk, Joseph H. Davis; Treasurer, John F. Hogue.
1879.-Supervisor, Orson Ingaisbee; Clerk, John G. Fisher; Treasurer, John F. Hogue; Commissioner of Highways, Josephus
Fisher; Superintendent of Schools, Robert M. Hogue; School Inspector, Charles T. Hogue; Constables, Allen J. King,
John Deaner, A. W. Sherwood.
The justices of the peace serving in 1879 were Orson Ingaisbee, William L. King, and Robert M. Hogue. The township
board was composed of John G. Fisher, Orson Ingalsbee, and Robert M. Hogue. The assessed valuation of the township
in 1879 was $136,878.
In 1845 a town school was established in that part of Pipestone now known as Sodus,
and from that date the educational interests of the youth of that section have received liberal attention.
Sodus contained in 1879 seven school districts, of which two were fractional. The board of inspectors comprised
R. M. Hogue, Charles T. Hogue. and John G. Fisher. The school report made Sept. 1, 1879, gave the fbllowing statistics
for the year ending at that date: Number of districts, 7; number of children of school age, 355 total value of
school property, $3925; amount paid for teachers' wages, $1142.
Settlements were so few during the years preceding 1845 that neither teaching
nor preaching were demanded, since, in the one case, there were but few children to receive such benefit, and in
the other the little community was not able to provide adequate support for a minister however much religious worship
might be deemed a necessity. The histories of the churches of the township are given below.
United Brethren Church.-A class of this denomination was organized in Sodus, in 1861, at the Rector school-house,
with a membership of upwards of 30. The class worshiped at the school-house until 1869, when, a union with the
United Brethren class of' Shanghai being effected, a house of worship was built in Sodus, and in it services have
since been held. The membership is now 40. The class leaders are John Q. Buckman and John Franz. The pastor is
I. W. Pattee, and the trustees John Q. Buckman, John Rush, and John Franz.
The Sodus Methodist Episcopal Class was organized as the Lower Pipestone Class, March 31, 1858, with the following
members: James A. Kright, leader, and Cynthia A. Kright, Luke, Sophia, Frank, Rebecca, Levi, and Michael Versaw,
Samuel, Grace, and Emma Garrett, Leander McDougall, Frank and George Williams, Theda Franklin, Lois Hemingway,
Mary Jane and George Hemingway, Nancy Ann McDougall, Martha Jane Hemingway, Nehemiah and Polly Ann Babcock.
Rev. Thomas T. George was the preacher in charge of the class, which was attached to the Berrien circuit, Kalamazoo
district, Michigan Conference. In 1860 the name of the class was changed to that of Sodus, and in 1878 it was attached
to the Millburg circuit.
The preachers in charge following Mr. George were Revs. S. D. McOmber, George A. Van Horn, D. S. Haviland, E. D.
Bacon, Francis Glass, J. H. Richards. E. L. Kellogg, David Burns. N. M. Steele, J. N. Odin, and A. N. Eldred, the
latter being the pastor at present. Services are held in the Tabor school-house once every two weeks. The class
has a present membership of 20. Joseph Wyrick is the leader, and Horace Tabor steward.
The Bethel Class was organized by Rev. J. R. Odin, in the union church, March, 1877. In September, 1878, when Rev.
A. N. Eldred, the present pastor, took charge, the members numbered 19, as follows: Orrin Brown, Daniel and Rebecca
Moore, Mary Stump, W. S. Elizabeth, and Clarence Burdick, Adeline Earl, Amanda Nye, Frank, Rebecca, Melinda, and
Marian Versaw, Celia Barker, Harriet, Bessie, and David Clinton. Levi Deaner, and Mrs. McGoldrick.
Orrin Brown has been the class leader since the organization. The membership is now 17. Services are held once
every fortnight in the union church.
The Christian Church-The Christian, or Disciple, Church was organized about 1867, in the Mount Pleasant school-house,
by Elder William Roe, of Buchanan. The articles of faith adopted at the organization read as follows: "We,
the undersigned, pledging fidelity to Jesus as the Messiah, being planted upon the foundation of the apostles and
prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone, and taking the Bible as our only rule of faith and
practice, do band ourselves together as a congregation of disciples of Jesus, and do covenant with God and each
other to observe the ordinances of the Lord's house and to the best of our ability to attend to all duties and
obligations devolved upon us in the Word of life."
The signers were Josephus Fisher, Charles T. Hogue, William Gano, John Calvin, Sarah Garrison, Jane Gano, Sarah
Stevens, Harriet Carpenter, Roby A. Olney, Sarah O. Merrill, Anna Garrison, Mary Kelsey, Lucinda Gano, Pheoby A.
Fisher, Mary Evans, Hannah Brehart, Louisa Gilbert, Hannah Hogue, Hester A. Davis, Joseph A. Davis, John Carpenter,
Eliphaz Stephens, Samuel Roberts, Nathan Olney, John Gano, Abram Evans, John Fisher.
The first elders chosen were Josephus Fisher and Charles T. Hogue, the deacons John Calvin and William Gano, and
the secretary Charles T. Hogue. The pastors succeeding Mr. Roe were Revs. Edmondson, Reese, and Lucas. There is
at present no pastor, but the vacancy is likely to be filled soon. Preaching is ordinarily provided once every
two weeks in the Mount Pleasant school house. The church membership is now 90. The deacons are Charles T. Hogue,
Orlando Hart, and Alva Pegg. The elders are Josephus Fisher, Joseph Davis, and Henry Burton, and the secretary
Charles T. Hogue.
The Union Sunday-school meets every. Sabbath in the union church. Joseph Strome is the superintendent, and he is
assisted by five teachers. The attendance of scholars has reached as high as 100, but numbers at present only about
The Church of God.-This society was organized in 1855, at the Stump school-house, by Rev. Mr. Gillespie, and had
as members the following: John Stump, Sr., and wife, .J. B. Harman and wife, George Crall and wife, George Deerduff,
Daniel Stauffer and wife, John B. Stauffer and wife. The first elders chosen were John Stump, Sr., and George Crall,
and the first deacon George Deerduff. The pastors of the church following Mr. Gillespie have been Elder B. H. Bolton,
the general evangelist, who preached for the society four years, Revs. Bright., Bassore, Hall, White, Redding,
and Oliver. In 1871 the society completed a house of worship in the northern part of the township, designated it
as the Union Church, and dedicated it February 6th of that year. The trustees then chosen were George Deerduff,
George B. Crall, Joseph Strome, James A. Kright, and Jacob B. Harman.
The church grew in strength during the first decade of its existence, and in 1865 numbered 72 members. Subsequent
to that period removals weakened it, and latterly it has for some time been without a pastor. Efforts are now being
put forth looking towards a revival of the society, with a good promise of success.
SODUS GRANGE. No. 123,
P. OF H.
This grange was organized Nov. 10, 1873, with the following members: F. F. King,
M.; Josephus Fisher, O.; Henry Burton, L.; John E. King, Chaplain; Charles T. Hogue, Sec.; Orlando Hart, Treas.;
William Burton, Steward; Samuel Roberts, Assistant Steward; Ernest Tabor, G.; Jennie Burton, Ceres; Louisa King,
Pomona; Lizzie Tabor, Flora; Sarah Stump, Lady Assistant Steward, and Israel M. Alien, John J. Murphy, Abraham
Likes, Albert Shell, Phineas Brant, John 0. Fisher, John K. Calvin, Leonard M. Keen, Edwin Burton, Willis Tabor,
F. King, Julia Tabor, Hannah Hogue, Phoebe A. Fisher, Urania Fisher, Mary J. Shell, Nettie Murphy, Ellen Snow.
The grange meets every fortnight at the Mount Pleasant school-house. The officers are now Jacob Hilmick, M.; Charles
Rector, O.; Louisa King, L.; William Burton, Chaplain; Charles Hogue, Sec.; Josephus Fisher, Treas; Edwin Burton,
Steward; Israel Allen. Assistant Steward; Charles Lamore, G.; Mary Burton, Ceres; Georgiana Lamore, Flora; Hannah
Hogue, Pomona; Alice Fisher, Lady Assistant Steward. Oct. 1, 1879, the membership of the grange was 50.