THIS township, originally called Lafayette and rechristened Paw Paw in 1867, is
known in the government survey as town 3 south, range 14 west, and is bounded on the north by Waverly, south by
Decatur, east by Antwerp, and west by Lawrence. It contains in addition to the usual township allotment of thirty
six sections about a section and a half in the northwest corner, which was taken from the southwest portion of
Waverly for the sake of convenience, this part being separated from the rest of the township of Waverly by a swamp.
Three Mile, Four Mile, and Eagle Lakes, and some smaller sheets of water pleasantly diversify the surface of the
township; while the west branch of the Paw Paw flowing north through Paw Paw village furnishes at that point excellent
water power, which is liberally employed. The Toledo and South Haven Railroad connects Paw Paw village with Lawrence,
while the Paw Paw Railroad unites the same place with Lawton, on the Michigan Central road.
Paw Paw village is the seat of justice of Van Buren County. The township was named from it in 1867, and it was
itself called after the river, named by the Indians from the paw paw fruit, growing thickly upon its banks.
The population of the township in 1874 was 2752, and the assessed valuation $744,800 in 1879.
PIONEERS OF PAW PAW OUTSIDE
OF THE VILLAGE.
In 1833, E. L. Barrett, induced by Peter Gremps, for whom he afterwards worked,
came with his wife and several small children, and settled upon 160 acres of land near Paw Paw village before there
was a framed house in the county, Capt. Barrett took especial pride in fine oxen, and at one time owned nine pairs,
which he "broke" and trained with great care. He named them, respectively, Nick and Duke, Buck and Bright,
Brin and Berry, Jim and Larry, Spot and Spark, Charley and Ned, Bill and Joe, Sam and Ez, Ben and Tom. With his
oxen he used to break a great deal of land for new settlers, and boasted of breaking several hundred acres in a
Capt. Barrett built on a village lot in Paw Paw what is said to have been the first frame house in the county.
He sold it to a man who moved it away, and while he was building another his family lived two weeks in the horsestable.
He drove the first team from Paw Paw to Little Prairie Ronde, and upon his return experienced the exciting sensation
of being chased by a panther and a pack of wolves. His first mercantile venture was the purchase of a barrel of
whisky, at five "York shillings" a gallon, and the sale of it to thirsty settlers at fifty cents a pint,
at which business he would have made a fortune in quick time could he have continued it extensively. He drove the
first team from Paw Paw to Breedsville, when he moved thither the family of Mr. Brown, the father of Smith Brown.
After living a few years in the village, during which time he logged and broke land, Mr. Barrett located permanently
on his farm, north of the village, removing subsequently to a place on section 36, where he has since lived.
John Agard located in 1833 upon a place on section 1, cast of Paw Paw River, and established a trading post at
which he did a large business with the Indians, trading for furs, sugar, etc. He had on his place a dozen or more
log huts, in which he stored his goods, and until his death his post was a famous resort for Indians, and usually
presented a very busy scene. After his death, his family moving away, it was abandoned. Mr. Agard died suddenly
of heart' disease, in October, 1835, and was buried on his place; his coffin being made by Williamson Mason, who
still lives in Paw Paw village.
William Gunn settled upon section 1, and was about the only settler who in 1833 and 1834 did much at farming. He
removed in after years to Iowa. South of Agard's post was William Acklcy, who, with Enos L. Barrett, dug the race
for Willard & Grenips' grist mill, in 1838. He moved to Indiana.
In June, 1835, John Lyle and John K. Pugsley (the latter a bachelor), living near Utica, N. Y., started in company
for the West, intending to look for land in Illinois. Journeying by way of the lake to Detroit, they traveled on
foot over the Territorial road to Paw Paw, and just before reaching Jesse Abbe's tavern, on that road, in Antwerp,
they overtook Edwin Barnum, who was bound for Paw Paw. When they reached the site of Paw Paw viilace, they found
there, on the east side of the river, but two houses, one of which was Daniel O. Dodge's tavern, where they stopped
for the night. Barnum remained in Paw Paw, and after a while settled on a farm a mile and a half west of the village,
where he built a cabin 10 feet by 16 and went to keeping "bachelor's hull."
Lyle and Pugsley pushed on for Illinois, skirting the shore of Lake Michigan, and after a tedious tramp reached
Chicago. They prospected a while in that vicinity, but found the prairies too low to suit them, and returned to
law Paw township, where they entered land on seetion 2, Pugsley taking 160 acres, and Lyle 240 adjoining him on
the north. Pugsley began at once to build a cabin and clear his land, but Lyle hastened eastward for his family,
whom he brought to Michigan in the fall of 1836, moving at once into Pugsley's cabin. There they also found Hugh
Jones, who was at work for Pugsley, and who soon entered a farm just west of him, on which he lived until his death.
The widow of his brother, Frank R. Jones, now owns the place.
Mr. Pugsley's cabin boasted but one room, but within its narrow limits Pugsley, Jones, and the Lyle family, aggregating
thirteen persons (of whom nine were children), managed to live for the space of ten days, when Lyle's own cabin
was finished, and he moved his family into it. Says Mr. William Lyle, in recounting the experiences of that time,
" We all slept in that one room, and pretty well crowded it was too for thirteen of us, I can tell you; but
then folks were not as particular in those days as they are now." Mr. Pugsley has resided in the township
since his first settlement, and still lives on section 2. Mr. Lyle sold his farm in 1849, and moved to the village,
where he resided until his death in 1870, aged seventy seven.
It has already been observed that when Mr. Lyle came to Paw Paw with his family he brought with him nine children,
and it is a somewhat remarkable circumstance that they, as well as one child born after the settlement in Michigan,
are all living today. John and William are living on farms in Paw Paw township ; Daniel and George in Dowagiac;
Merwin is a druggist in Paw Paw, in which village, too, reside the five daughters, Mrs. Russell Parker, Mrs. Frank
Parker, Mrs. Francis Selleck, Mrs. N. P. Conger, and Mrs. Edwin Barnum.
At the time of the settlement of Mr. Pugsley and the Lyles, that portion of the township was an unbroken forest,
the only settler there besides themselves being Richard Hutchins, who located upon section 2 in the summer of 1835.
Among those who settled in and near that neighborhood at an early date may be mentioned Joseph Luee, Loyal Crane,
Henry Harrington, William and Nathan M. Pugsley, H. M. Pugsley, Amos fleming, Ball, and the families of Jennings
In 1842, William and John, sons of John Lyle, left the parental roof together, to take up homes of their own in
the south part of the township. John located on section 29 and William on section 32. That portion of Paw Paw was
but little settled at that time. Besides William and John Lyle, the settlers were Jesse Biekell, John Sherrod,
Daniel Abbott, and Archibald Buys. Buys lived about a mile east of William Lyle, and except hinr there was no one
between Lyle and the township line, nor were there any settlers whatever in the southeastern portion of the township.
Anthony Labaday and his wife came to Paw Paw village in 1836, and during the next year occupied a house previously
inhabited by Lawson Grout, who in that year moved out to a farm on section 22, where he died, and where his son
George now lives. In 1837, Labaday and his wife settled upon the farm of Williamson Mason (Mrs. Labaday's brother),
in section 22, where they lived until 1842, when Mr. Labaday bought of Peter Gremps a farm on section 21, and lived
there until his death, in 1860. His widow still resides on the place. When the Labadays moved upon section 22,
in 1837, their nearest neighbor was Asa Hinckley. In 1838 they had another neighbor, Horace Chadwick, who moved
to Illinois with his family about 1850.
Edwin Barnum, already mentioned, came to Paw Paw in 1835 when a young man, purchased 280 acres on sections 10 and
15, went at once upon his land, and lived there a bachelor until 1840, when he married a daughter of John Lyle.
He removed to Paw Paw village in 1864, and resided there until his death, in August, 1875. His widow still lives
in the village. Mr. Barnum held numerous local offices, and was for some years county treasurer.
James Cate, with his son Lorenzo, settled in 1836 upon section 9. He died in the township, and after that Lorenzo
moved to the far West.
In June, 1835, Asa G. Hinckley, of New York, reached Paw Paw with his with and five children, and settled on section
14, the land having been entered by Elder Jonathan Hinckley, his father, who came out a few months before, and
who himself located in Breedsville. Asa moved in 1846 to a farm south of Eagle Lake, and died there in 1871. Later
his widow moved to Paw Paw village, where she now lives.
In June, 1S35, also, Richard Hutchins, of Oneida Co., N. Y., came with his wife and two children, and located upon
section 2, where he died in 1870, and where his widow now lives.
John Barber, a Vermonter, came West with his family, in company with the Cate family, and located on section 8,
where he died in 1838. West of him were the families of the Grouts and Henry Rhodes. Shortly afterwards Henry Monroe
and Orimel Butler settled in that vicinity.
Loyal Crane and family, from Cayuga Co., N. Y., came to Paw Paw in 1837, his father having come out in the previous
year and located land. Loyal settled upon sections 10 and 11, and lived there until 1865, when he moved to the
village, which has since been his home. His father, James Crane, became a settler in 1840, and kept store in the
village in 1842. He died in 1869, while visiting friends in Pennsylvania. Alonzo Crane, who settled on section
10 in 1840, died there in 1847.
Orimel Butler came from Western New York in 1836, and made l'rairie Ronde his home until 184:3, when he removed
to Paw Paw and located upon section 10, where he died in 1869. His son, William K., also settled in Paw Paw, on
section S, where he now lives. He obtained his farm of Sylvester Murch, whose brother purchased it from John Barber,
the original settler. The house in which Mr. Butler now lives is the one built by John Barber in 1836, and is considered
one of the oldest habitable houses in the county. H. W. Rhodes pushed westward from Monroe Co., N. Y., in 1835,
and located on section S. He now resides in Paw Paw village, his son occupying the old homestead.
Nathan M. Pugsley, being persuaded by his uncle, John K., already located in Paw Paw, came directly from his home
in England to Michigan in 1838, and settled upon section 10, where he has since lived. His brother, H. M. Pugsley,
now lives on section 7, on land which he located in 1845. A. R. Wildey came in 1835 to Paw Paw, and eventually
settled upon section 9, where he now lives.
B. F. Murdock, now residing in the village, came to Kalamazoo in 1836, and to Paw Paw in 1842. Mr. Murdock passed
much of his early life in the West in schoolteaching, having down to 1842 taught in five counties. When he came
to Paw Paw he worked at carpentering, and sold fanning mills for J. M. Andrews, who was then manufacturing those
machines in the village, as the successor of Jerome Walton.
Abraham Ball, of Ohio, came to Paw Paw in 1837, and started a brick yard on E. Barnum's farm, the first one in
the county. He followed the business until 1849. In 1855 he died, while on a visit to Coldwater.
Edmond Hayes, a tailor, and Rufus Currier, a carpenter, made a trip from Pennsylvania to Paw Paw in 1838, returning
the same year to that State, and reporting so favorably regarding the Western country that William H. Lee determined
to accompany them to Michigan. The three set out in the fall of 1838, proceeding to Detroit by water, and traveling
thence on foot to Paw Paw village. Hayes and Currier remained in the village, where they proposed to ply their
trades. Lee proceeded about a mile westward, to the place of Asa G. Hinckley, for whom he engaged to thrash wheat,
his pay to be one bushel in eight. He also bought an acre of land of Hinckley, and while he was building a cabin
lived with Loyal Crane. He returned to Pennsylvania in the winter of 1839 for his family, with whom, and accompanied
by Jesse Biekell, his brother-in-law, and Mrs. Bickell (the latter's mother), he came back to Paw Paw in February
of that year, the entire journey being made by wagon, and ending at Paw Paw in snow eighteen inches deep. Lee lived
on his one acre four years, during which time he plied his trade as a mason, working all over the county, until
he became acquainted with most of the people living in it. In 1843 he bought of Willard Dodge a place on section
28, where he still lives. Mr. Lee's father (James Lee), his mother, and his brother Uriel came to Paw Paw in 1841,
and located upon section 33, where Uriel now lives with his mother (aged ninety one), the elder Lee having died
Mr. Lee says he used to get sugar for his family by plowing for Pee Pee Yah, an old Indian, who had a farm on section
22. The Indians were always well supplied with sugar, but could not master the business of plowing. Lee did not
get much sugar for a day's plowing, and what he did get he had to divide with Asa Hinekley, to pay for the use
of the latter's horses. Mr. Lee used to take his dinner with him when he went to plow for Pee Pee Yah. One day,
at noon, he discovered that dogs had captured it. Marching briskly into Pee Pee Yah's house, he told the squaw
that as her dogs had devoured his dinner, he must have some from her. The old woman handed him a wooden ladle,
pointed to a large kettle full of stewed corn, and told him to help himself. He began to eat, when presently the
dogs came up and joined him in the repast, dipping in with their mouths where he used the ladle. He rapped them
sharply with t.he ladle, but they insisted upon keeping him company, and as he was desperately hungry, and was
assured by the squaw that it was according to the etiquette of the house for the dogs to eat out of the same dish
with the family, he proceeded to complete his meal, and soon got so that he did not much mind his canine méssmates.
Pee Pee Yah was said to have been once a prominent chief of the Pottawattamies, but had turned farmer, and had
bought of the government a quarter of section 22, which is known to this day as the Pee Pee Yah farm. There were
in the township other Indians who owned small pieces of land, but Pee Pee Yah was the only one who ever approached
the dignity of being a farmer, and his farming was at its best confined to the cultivation of a little soft corn
and the boiling of sugar. He was, however, regarded by the other Indians as a superior sort of creature, and was
much respected by them. When the government was endeavoring to procure the removal of the Indians of this vicinity
to the West, he conceived the idea that it would seek to remove him, despite the fact that he was a land holder,
and therefore fled to Canada with his squaw and child. He died in Canada, and the squaw then returned with her
child to Paw Paw, and reoccupied the farm. She afterwards sold it, however, to John R. Baker, and moved to Hartford
John Sherwood, now living in the southern part of the township, was a settler
about 1840. David Woodman (2d), who came with his father, Joseph Woodman, to Autwerp in 1835, located land on section
20, in Paw Paw, in 1841, and has made his home there since that time.
Jonas Harrison came with his family from New York in 1846, and located with his son, William H. on 40 acres in
section 16. He took up a farm himself on the same section in 1847, and lived in the township until his death, in
1864. Of his sons, William H. lives in Kalamazoo, Albert resides on section 16, in Paw Paw, and Aaron lives south
of him, on the same section. About the time Mr. Harrison settled in Paw Paw t.here were hiving in his neighborhood
Henry Wilson, A. R. Wildey, Joseph Luce, E. Tyler, Mitchelson, William K. Butler, Riley Woodman, and A. Hemingover.
Henry Wilson, who located in Adrian as early as 1837, went from there in 1840 to Pennsylvania (whence he had migrated),
remained there until the spring of 1846, and then came with his family to Paw Paw. He took up 40 acres on section
16, and has lived upon it until the present time.
In 1848, Philip Sherrod came from Western Pennsylvania to Paw Paw, and after working for farmers until 1851 bought
a farm on section 29 of Nathan Lawton, and has lived there to this day. H. Cuddeback, a sailor on the lakes, came
to Michigan with his father, Sylvester Cuddeback, in 1849, and located land on Section 28. The father settled on
the farm, but the son returned to a life on the water, which he followed until 1851. He then became a farmer upon
the place he still owns, his father removing subsequently to Lawrence, where he now lives.
David Woodman, who came to Michigan in 1834, settled in Antwerp in 1838, and in Paw Paw in 1858, where he still
lives, at thee age of eighty seven. Thomas B. Irwin came to the State in 1843, located in Lawrence in 1846, and
in 1864 removed permanently to Paw Paw village. E. A. Thompson, who located in Paw Paw village, his present home,
served between 1855 and 1859 as Deputy Secretary of State.
THE CROOKED PAW PAW.
Before the days of the Michigan Central Railroad, when the subject of water transportation
between Paw Paw and Lake Michigan was one of much importance, the Paw Paw River was utilized, after a fashion,
as a highway for flat boats, although it is generally believed that flat boating on the Paw Paw was never a paying
business. As early as 1833, however, the Paw Paw was regarded as navigable, and the settlers entertained stropg
hopes that a part of the stream at least might be profitably used by steamboats.
In the spring of 1833 the Territorial government, desirous of promoting easy access to the river, authorized the
construction of roads connecting the "Forks of the Paw Paw" (the supposed head of navigation) with Schoolcraft,
Big Prairie Ronde, Adamsville, Little Prairie Ronde, Gun Prairie, and Barry County. "The Landing," near
Lawrence village, came, later, to be a place where considerable freight was received for shipment down the river.
In 1840, I. W. Willard, of Paw Paw, built two large flat boats, loaded them with flour from his mills at Paw Paw,
and dispatched them to St. Joseph. The boats were the "Daniel Buckley," commanded by A. R. Wildey, and
the "Wave," in charge of William H. Hurlbut. They made the trip, but occupied so long a time and met
with so much difficulty, on account of low water, etc., that the venture was not profitable. Other efforts to utilize
the shahlow stream as a water highway proved similarly unsuccessful, and although there was for a time considerable
flat boat traffic from Paw Paw to St. Joseph, the general verdict was decidedly unfavorable.
In 1848, however, interest in the matter was revived by the passage of an act of the Legislature appropriating
10,000 acres of land for the improvement of the Paw Paw, with a view to make it navigable, at least for flat boats;
but the scheme miscarried, and the Paw Paw remains what it was, only a mill stream.
There are among the residents of the county many well. known men who used to "flat boat it," and one
is at no lose to gather a bountiful chapter of stories illustrative of lift on the "raging Paw Paw" when
the lusty boatmen poled their craft along its sinuous course and over its numberless sand bars. Mosquitoes were
the bugbears of a boatman's existence, and by day as well as by niglet waged incessant warfare upon thee river
rovers. whom at times they drove well nigh distracted. William M. Lyle says he once shipped as cook on board a
Paw Paw flat boat, and used to find the mosquitoes so thick that they would settle in swarms on the meat frying
in the pan. Unable to get rid of them, he always fried them with the meat, or at least with the gravy, and served
the food in that way. The boatmen never found fault, probably because it was mosquitoes and beef or nothing.
FOREST ADVENTURE OF A PIONEER.
About the year 1835, Edwin Mears, a young man living in Paw Paw village, set out
in midwinter with a half dozen companions on a hunting expedition. In the course of the day young Mears found himself
separated from his comrades, and despite his persistent efforts and shouts he could neither find them nor the way
homeward. So he wandered through the woods four days and nights, half dead with cold and hunger, and at the end
of the fourth day found himself on the shore of Lake Michigan. There he discovered an abandoned hut, and in it
a few grains of oats, which he ate with great avidity, for he had had no food since leaving Paw Paw. four days
previously. His sufferings from cold and hunger were intense, and he had about made up his mind to perish there
when he heard hunean voices, and was rescued by a party sent out in search of him when it was found that he did
not return home. He was in a most unfortunate condition, and for a time after being taken home it was tleoughet
he would die, but he at last rallied, and long survived to recount his painful experience. It is said that a few
years afterwards Mr. Mears' rifle was found at the foot of a beech tree.
Skulls and other human bones have frequently been turned up by thie plowshare,
especially in the southern portion of the township. Indian burying grounds are known to have been laid out on sections
21 and 22, on the latter of which Pee Pee Yah had a farm, and there were within the recollection of many of Paw
Paw's present citizens as many as two score of Indian graves there.
ORGANIZATION AND FIRST
The township of Lafayette (now Paw Paw) was formed by act of' the Legislative
Council on the 26th day of March, 1835, and included the whole of Van Buren County, which was then temporarily
attached to Cass. The first townshipmeeting was held at the house of D. O. Dodge, on the 4th of April, 1836, when
Peter Gremps was chosen Supervisor; Daniel O. Dodge, Town Clerk; Edward Shults, Collector. By an act of the State
Legislature, approved March 11, 1837, Lafayette (or Van Buren County) was divided into seven townships, of which
thee present Paw Paw retained the old name of Lafayette.
The first meeting of the new township of Lafayette (created under act of' March 11, 1837, giving Van Buren County
separate jurisdiction) was held at D. O. Dodge's tavern, in Paw Paw village, on the first Monday in April, 1837.
Levi H. Warner was appointed Moderator, and there were present D. O. Dodge, Town Clerk, and Peter Gremps, Supervisor.
The polls being duly opened the following freemen voted: Joseph Luee, R. Currier, E. L. Barrett, Peter Gremps,
D. O. Dodge, William Eckler, E. Jones, John Barber, A. Buys, John Hughes, E. Mears, L. H. Warner, J. K. Pugsley,
Edwin Barnum, D. Thorp, J. Barnes, D. Barker, A. G. Hinckley, H. Gray, C. G. Harrington, R. Hinckle, John Lyle,
E. Shults, T. B. Colton, William Prater, Lorenzo Cate, M. Hoskins.
Thee following officers were elected: D. O. Dodge, Supervisor; Edwin Mears, Township Clerk; L. H. Warner, J. H.
Simmons, J. K. Pugsley, and E. Barnum, Justices of the Peace; Joseph Luce, J. H. Simmons, and L. H. Warner, Highway
Commissioners; J. H. Simmons and L. H. Warner, School Inspectors; Rufus Carrier, Edward Shults, and Edwin Barnum,
Assessors; Charles G. Barrington, Collector; C. G. Harrington, Myron Hoskins, David Thorp, and L. A. Grout, Constables;
E. L. Barrett and Asa G. Hinckley, Directors of the Poor.
At the second township meeting, held April 2, 1838, at the house of H. Wilder, the voters were John Barber, Rodney
Hinckley, James Cate, D. O. Dodge, Edwin Barnum, Zethan Warner, Hugh Jones, Joseph Lace, L. D. Cate, Levi T. Ball,
William Eckler, Charles G. Harrington, John Hughes, David Barker, L. H. Warner, Henry Gray, L. A. Grout, Williamson
Mason, H. Read, Henry Rhodes, Peter Gremps, James Conklin, Francis Jones, S. C. Buys, E. L. Barrett, Archibald
Buys, William Prater, R. E. Churchill, Joseph E. Roys, Charles Ivison, E. R. Hays, Martin Liscomb, H. Robinson,
A. A. Greaves, A. G. Hinckley, and David Thorp.
At that meeting it was voted to raise upon the taxable property of the township money enough to purchase and fence
one and a half acres of land for a burial ground.
TOWNSHIP CIVIL LIST.
A list of the persons annually chosen by the township from 1838 to 1880 to be
supervisor, treasurer, clerk, and justice of the peace is given below:
1838.-Supervisor, J. H. Simmons; Clerk, H. Wilder: Treasurer, C. G. Harrington; Justice of the Peace, J. K. Pugsley.
1839.-Supervisor, Joshua Bangs; Clerk, J. H. Simmons; Treasurer, Joshua Bangs; Justice of the Peace, Joseph Luce.
1840.-Supervisor, J. H. Simmons; Clerk, J. H. Simmons; Treasurer, George Smith ; Justice of the Peace, F. H. Stevens.
1841.-Supervisor, Peter Gremps; Clerk, L. H. Warner; Treasurer, George Smith; Justice of the Peace, Loyal Crane.
1842.-Supervisor, Peter Gremps; Clerk, G. H. Baker; Treasurer, George Smith.
1843.-Supervisor, S. J. Foote; Clerk, A. Crane; Treasurer, F. R. Lord; Justice of the Peace, J. Shevarts.
1844.-Supervisor, J. B. Barnes; Clerk, A. Crane; Treasurer, L. H. Warner; Justice of the Peace, D. O. Dodge.
1845.-Supervisor, J. K. Pugsley; Clerk, A. Crane; Treasurer, A. J. Goodrich; Justice of the Peace, J. H. Simmons.
1846.-Supervisor, I. W. Willard; Clerk, Abner Hays; Treasurer, Edmund Smith; Justice of the Peace, S. H. Blackman.
1847.-Supervisor, Loren Darling; Clerk, Elisha Durkee; Treasurer, J. B. Barnes; Justice of the Peace, D. Woodman
1848.-Supervisor, Benoni Hall Clerk, Elisha Durkee; Treasurer, J. H. Simmons; Justice of the Peace, James Crane.
1849.-Supervisor, Benoni Hall; Clerk, Edmund Smith; Treasurer, H. W. Rhodes; Justice of the Peace, J. H. Simmons.
1850.-Supervisor, F. H. Stevens; Clerk, Edmund Smith; Treasurer, A. C. Kimball; Justice of the Peace, S. J. Foote.
1851.-Supervisor, J. K. Pugsley; Clerk, G. B. Sherwood; Treasurer, O. F. Parker; Justice of the Peace, A. Heminover.
1852.-Supervisor, F. H. Stevens; Clerk, G. B. Sherwood; Treasurer, B. D. Thompson; Justice of the Peace, John Reynolds.
1853.-Supervisor, G. B. Sherwood; Clerk, J. M. Longwell; Treasurer, N. P. Conger; Justice of the Peace, J. H. Simmons.
1854.-Supervisor, Elisha Durkee; Clerk, E. Mother; Treasurer, N. P. Conger; Justice of the Peace, James Crane.
1855.-Supervisor, Edwin Barnum; Clerk, B. D. Thompson; Treasurer, A. Stewart; Justice of the Peace, David Webb.
1856.-Supervisor, R. Avery; Clerk, George Voke; Treasurer, G. S. Cogswell; Justice of the Peace, L. B. Sheldon.
1857.-Supervisor, Edwin Barnum; Clerk, T. R. Harrison; Treasurer, Thomas A. Granger; Justice of the Peace, Calvin
1858.-Supervisor, Edwin Barnum; Clerk, E. B. Butler; Treasurer, James H. Prater; Justice of the Peace, T. E. Hendrick.
1859.-Supervisor, Charles Selleck; Clerk, A. J. Sartore; Treasurer, E. A. Sheldon; Justice ef the Peace, J. H.
1860.-Supervisor, L. B. Sheldon; Clerk, A. J. Sartore; Treasurer, G. W. Ocobock; Justice of the Peace, O. D. Glidden.
1861.-Supervisor, G. J. Hudson; Clerk, T. H. Stephenson; Treasurer, T. W. Meleher; Justice of the Peace, George
1862.-Supervisor, J. K. Pugslcy; Clerk, T. H. Stephenson; Treasurer, Russell Parker: Justice of the Peace, T. E.
1863.-Supervisor, Charles Selleck; Clerk, J. J. Roe; Treasurer, Edwin Cate; Justice of the Peace, E. M. Glidden.
1864.-Supervisor, Loyal Crane; Clerk, S. H. Blackman; Treasurer, G. S. Lane; Justice of the Peace. H. P. Sanger.
1865.-Supervisor, Charles Selleek; Clerk, A. J. Sartore; Treasurer, G. S. Lane; Justice of the Peace, A. W. Nash.
1866.-Supervisor, Charles Selleek; Clerk, E. M. Glidden; Treasurer, J. W. Free; Justice of the Peace, T. E. Hendrick.
1867.-Supervisor, E. H. Glidden; Clerk, A. J. Sartore; Treasurer, J. W. Free; Justice of the Peace, E. M. Glidden.
1868.-Supervisor, O. D. Glidden; Clerk, Joseph Kilburn; Treasurer, John Pelton; Justice of the Peace, W. H. Randall.
1869.-Supervisor, J. L. Ross; Clerk, John Knowles; Treasurer, H. L. Eggleston, Justice of the Peace, A. H. Herron.
1870.-Supervisor, E. O. Briggs; Clerk, A. H. Harrison; Treasurer, H. L. Eggleston; Justiee of the Peace, T. E.
1871.-Supervisor, E. O. Briggs; Clerk, A. M. Harrison Treasurer, R. Rogers; Justice of the Peace, S. H. Blackman.
1872.-Supervisor, E. O. Briggs; Clerk, A. H. Harrison; Treasurer, R. Rogers; Justice of the Peace, Wm. R. Butler.
1873.-Supervisor, Edwin Barnum; Clerk, W. H. Mason; Treasurer, R. Rogers; Justice of the Peace, C. E. Galligan.
1874.-Supervisor, E. O. Briggs; Clerk, W. H. Mason; Treasurer, R. Rogers; Justice of the Peace, D. Woodman (2d).
1875.-Supervisor, E. O. Briggs; Clerk, W. H. Mason; Treasurer, Charles Selleck: Justice of the Peace, S. H. Blackman.
1876.-Supervisor, E. O. Briggs; Clerk, W. H. Mason; Treasurer, J. J. Forsyth; Justice of the Peace, John Knowles.
1877.-Supervisor, J. W. Free; Clerk, W. H. Mason; Treasurer, A. C. Lindsley; Justice of the Peace, K. W. Noyes.
1878.-Supervisor, J. W. Free; Clerk, R. I. Jarvis; Treasurer, A. C. Lindsley; Justice of the Peace, W. H. Mason.
1879.-Supervisor, D. Woodman (2d); Clerk, W. H. Mason; Treasurer, Charles Selleck; Justice of the Peace, S. H.
Paw Paw Village
Prospect Hill Cemetery, Religious Societies &