Continued from Paw
PAW PAW VILLAGE
The first settlement in the present township of Paw Paw was made upon the site
of Paw Paw village in the year 1832, when Rodney Hinckley located upon a farm in the northern portion of the present
village. In that year, also, Pierce Barber, of Prairie Ronde, began the erection of a saw-mill on the river at
the west end of the village. Mr. Barber soon sold his interest in the mill to Job Davis and Rodney Hinckley, who,
however, soon disposed of it (in 1833) to Peter Gremps and Lyman J. Daniels.
These gentlemen came hither on a prospecting tour in that year, bought the mill property, improved it, purchased
considerable land in the vicinity, and laid out upon it a village which they called Paw Paw. Daniels lived in Schoolcraft,
and at no time became a settler in Paw Paw. Gremps, who came from the Mohawk Valley, in New York, to find a mill
site in the West, returned to his home after purchasing the Paw Paw property, and did not settle permanently on
his new possessions until 1835, when he moved into a cabin just west of the saw mill. Edward Shults, Mr. Gremps'
nephew, came out from New York with his uncle, and worked for the latter in his saw mill.
While Mr. Gremps was absent in the East, his partner, Mr. Daniels, was busy looking after the saw mill and devising
means to further the interests of the new village. He thought there ought to be a tavern, especially as the Territorial
road was likely to pass through Paw Paw, and so one day in 1834, on meeting in Schooleraft Daniel O. Dodge, who
had been teaching school in those parts, he offered to give him an entire block in Paw Paw, and build a board house
for him, if he would come on and keep tavern in it. Dodge agreed, and in the same year opened an inn, which became
one of the most famous in this part of the State. Meanwhile, Enos L. Barrett had located land north of the village,
but lived in a board shanty on one of Gremps' village lots. David Thorp was also on the west side of the river,
where he occupied a building, in which he lived and operated a turning lathe.
Shortly after Mr. Gremps' permanent settlement he sent to Stone Arabia, N. Y., and invited Dr. Barrett (a resident
of that place) to come out to Paw Paw and set up practice. Barrett came, and lived in a cabin just west of Dodge's
tavern. Dr. Barrett was the first physician of Paw Paw. He was sorely afflicted with phihisis, and after three
or four years' practice at Paw Paw removed to Kalamazoo, where he ended his days.
Early in the summer of 1835, Mr. Gremps concluded that there ought to be a store in the village, and so he sent
word to Edward Legrave, of Kalamazoo, that he wanted a carpenter capable of building a good store. Legrave found
'Williamson Mason (a carpenter from Wayne Co., N. Y., who had been in the West working at his trade since 1832),
and induced him to go over and build Grewps' store. Mason started with three hands on Monday, July 6, 1835, and
on the evening of that day reached Dodge's tavern, which was so full of people that he and his companions were
compelled to sleep in a couple of abandoned shanties on the west side of the river. In them, too, they lived while
they were building the store, which was erected in a short time, though in good style for that period. It was,
of course, the first store in Paw Paw, and it stood west of Dodge's tavern, where Phillips' blacksmith shop is.
Mr. Gremps moved his family into the back part of the building before it was entirely finished, and soon afterwards
stocked the store with goods which he had brought from New York. and began business in it, with Edward Shults as
After completing the store, Mason and his fellow workmen built a dwelling house for Mr. Gremps just opposite, which
is still known as the Gremps house.
Mr. Mason, who is yet a resident and manufacturer at Paw Paw, says that when he came t.o the village, in July,
1835, it contained on the east side of' the river Rodney Flinckley's house, Dodge's tavern, and Dr. Barrett's cabin
on the west side, Gremps & Daniels' saw mill, David Thorp's turning shop, and the two shanties occupied by
Peter Gremps and Enos L. Barrett.
Soon the need for a blacksmith began to make itself felt. Rodney Hinckley had put up a blacksmith shop, but little
work if any had been done in it. When blacksmithing was needed, tl)e settlers went either to Schooleraft or St.
Joseph. So Peter Gremps said to Williamson Mason, " We must have a blacksmith." Gremps thought he could
get Craig Buys, of St. Joseph County, a brother-in-law of Rodney Hiuckley, and empowered Mason to promise Buys
the gift of a shop if he would come. Buys did come, and occupied a shop which Mason built for him on a lot west
of Dodge's tavern. Buys plied his trade there about six years, and then moved to Ohio.
The first shoemaker of Paw Paw was Charles G. Harrington, who is now working at his trade at Lawtou. Mr. Harrington
came from Kalamazoo in 1836, and opened a shop in Paw Paw, in a building put up by Williamson Mason, just east
of where the Dyckman House now stands. Mr. Mason also built the first school house in the village, in the fall
of 1836, its location being on Gremps Street north of Main Street. Rodney Hinekley, of whom mention has been made,
finally moved to South Haven, where he died.
Madison Eastman, a carpenter, settled in the village in 1835. He afterwards removed to Decatur, but returned to
Paw Paw, and died there.
The first foundry in the village was started by Calvin Hawley, who was also one of the first carriage makers in
Paw Paw. His widow, a sister of the late Edwin Barnum, still lives in the township.
Peter Gremps, the founder of Paw Paw, came West, as already observed, in 1833, to find a location for a mill, and
while stopping at Schoolcraft discovered one John Derosier, who piloted him to Paw Paw, as a place certain to suit
him. Grumps at once entered considerable land in the neighborhood, returned East., and came again in 1835, with
his family. Mr. Gremps never lived out of the village after that. He built the first store, and was the first merchant
and first postmaster. After a busy career, he lived during the latter years of his life in peaceful retirement,
dying upon the old homestead in 1874, at the age of seventy three. Two of his children Mrs. Alonzo Shults and Peter
H. Gremps are now residents of the village. Edward Shults, his nephew, who came to Paw Paw in 1834, and who was
Mr. Gremps' right hand man in business for many years, caught the gold fever in 1849 and migrated to the Pacific
slope, where he still lives.
Myron Hoskins, a carpenter, who came to Paw Paw in 1S36. still lives in the village. William Prater, also a carpenter,
came in the same year. J. H. Simmons, a cabinetmaker, came in 1836, and was the first who worked at that trade.
He became a man of some mark, served as county surveyor and judge of probate. and lived in the village until his
death. William Eagle, who now lives south Of the village, came in 1840, and followed the business of coopering.
Richardson Avery, a carpenter, came to Paw Paw in 1835, and died in the village in 1875.
Public-Houses.-Daniel O. Dodge's tavern in Paw Paw village, on the Territorial road (known also as the Paw Paw
House), was a place of considerable importance from its erection in 1834; and later, when stage coaching and other
means of travel made the Territorial road an important highway, the old Dodge tavern was held in high esteem by
those who traveled on that thoroughfare. It. was an humble board shanty with four rooms, and measured about 16
feet by 24. Dodge's tavern was enlarged in 1835, and in 1836 was rebuilt. Mrs. Dodge was a famous cook, and gave
the house great repute. The stages changed horses at that point, and for many years travel on the Territorial road
was exceedingly brisk. It is said that Dodge had at one time as many as a hundred people at breakfast, and that
Mrs. Dodge did the cooking for all of them.
The tavern stood on what is now the south side of Main Street, at the western end opposite the bank, and for a
year or more was almost hidden by trees. Trees. indeed, were so plentiful in Paw Paw, even after the village was
laid out, that travelers frequently rode through it without knowing there was a town there, and searchers for the
village often asked at Dodge's where Paw Paw was. Dodge sold the tavern to Horace Wilder, but being afterwards
forced to take it back, carried it on until it was destroyed by fire. Mr. Dodge continued after that event to live
in the village in retirement until his death. His widow and a son, Thomas, now live in Lawton.
During Mr. Dodge's career as a Paw Paw landlord, Dr. Warner opened a tavern about opposite where the postoffice
is now, but it had only a brief existence. James Crane put up the Exchange Hotel on the site of the Dyckman House,
which latter, erected by E. B. Dyckman and John Smolk, was built soon after the burning of the old Exchange. The
Willard House, remodeled by I. W. Willard from an old store building, was a popular hotel many years ago, but has
long since ceased to be a public house.
The Great immigration of 1836.-The year 1836 brought a great army of land speculators and settlers to Michigan,
and all along the Territorial road stages and taverns had more business on hand than they could comfortably manage.
Travel was then at its flood on that highway, and travelers coming weary and footsore to a roadside inn with the
glad expectation of rest and food, often found that neither could possibly be obtained; that the beds were all
filled (having at least two persons in each), and that the larder had been completely exhausted. A participator
in that bustling era says that Dodge's tavern was at that period like a bee hive, and even then could not accommodate
one tenth of the people who sought its shelter. "Why," remarks this old settler, "I've known the
time when the rush at Dodge's was so great, and the demand for lodging so pressing, that travelers offered as high
as a dollar for the privilege of leaning against a post." This probably exaggerates but also illustrates the
Early Merchants.-It has already been observed that Peter Gremps opened the first store in Paw Paw. The next store
keeper was Nathan Mears (now a merchant in Chicago), whose store was west of where the bank is. After him Edwin
Mears opened a store on the corner now occupied by E. Smith & Co. James Crane was an early merchant, and kept
store on Smith's corner.
Willard & Gremps opened a store on Main Street in 1838, and intrusted its management to Edward Shults. Willard
afterwards bought Gremps' interest, and took Shults as a partner. Later the firm was Willard & Moffat, Isaac
W. Willard was a man of considerable note in the community, and from 1838 until his death was closely identified
with the interests of Paw Paw as a miller and merchant, and was a man of prominence in the community.
Alonzo Sherman came from the State of New York to Paw Paw in 1844, and engaged in mercantile business in the village
as a partner with E. J. House, who was then keeping store in the building previously occupied by Edwin Mears. Since
that time Mr. Sherman has been continuously engaged in trade at Paw Paw, and is now a member of the firm of Sherman
& Avery, as well as extensively concerned in milling. H. L. Dickinson bought out Nathan Mears in 1845, and
in 1847 became a partner with Alonzo Sherman. Mears went into business again, soon after selling to Dickinson,
and in 1846 disposed of his store to William R. Hawkins; who had settled in Kalamazoo County in 1836, and had resided
in Paw Paw since 1846. F. H. Stevens and Loren Darling opened a store in 1844 on the corner where Sherman &
Avery now are, and remained there until 1847, when they retired from business. In that year Edmund Smith, a resident
in the town since 1843, and a carpenter by trade, commenced in Paw Paw as a merchant, and still carries on that
The village has now five dry goods stores, four grocerystores, five drug stores, one clothing store, and numerous
minor marts of business.
Lawyers, Doctors, and Newspapers.-The lawyers and physicians of Paw Paw are mentioned in the chapters devoted to
the legal and medical professions in the general history of the county, and in the chapter on the press will be
found notices of the various papers which have flourished or languished there.
The Postmasters of Paw Paw.-Peter Gremps was the first postmaster of Paw Paw, his appointment dating from 1835.
Mr. Gremps, however, paid very little attention to the post office, Edward Shults, his clerk, being also the deputy
postmaster, and transacting the business of the office. Gremps was succeeded in 1842 by George L. Gale, and he
was followed successively by John McKinney. John Smolk, A. J. Goodrich, F. H. Stevens, J. M. Longwell, J. W. Huston,
B. J. House, A. J. Sorter, O. F. Parker, T. B. Irwin, and George W. Matthews, the latter being the present incumbent.
During the three months ending Dee. 31, 1879, $800 worth of stamps were sold at the office, money orders were issued
to the amount of $6624, and $3817.53 were paid out on such orders.
Mills and Millers.-The building of the first saw mill at Paw Paw and its transfer to Gremps & Daniels have
been elsewhere mentioned. Gremps & Daniels controlled the property until the death of the latter, after which
the mill passed to a numerous succession of owners, until it was worn out and eventually demolished. The mill site
is near that occupied by the Phoenix Flouring Mill, which uses the same power. The latter establishment, containing
two run of stones, belongs to Thomas L. Stevens, and is carried on by M. Wells.
In 1837, Stafford Godfrey, a mill wright, came from Chautauqua Co., N. Y., in response to an invitation from Peter
Gremps, and in 1838 began, with R. E. Churchill, the erection for I. W. Willard and Peter Gremps of the grist mill
long known as the Paw Paw Mills, which now contains six run of stones, and is carried on by A. Sherman & Briggs.
The castings and stones were brought from St. Joseph, and that its completion gave much satisfaction may be understood
from the fact that people had previously to go to Kalamazoo and to Flowerfield, St. Joseph Co., to mill. A. Sherman
& Briggs also carry on the Central Flouring Mills, formerly used as a woolen mill.
Stafford Godfrey, here mentioned, settled in Paw Paw in a house which stood upon the site of the Dyckman House,
and in 1842 and 1843 he and Churchill built the present county court house. His next important work was effected
in 1856, when he built the brick Baptist church. Mr. Godfrey, aged eighty, now lives in the village.
Free & Martin have a planing mill in the village, and near there Williamson Mason occupies a building which
was put up by J. H. Simmons in 1840, and in which Mr. Mason has a planing mill, turning shop, etc. In the same
building George Birkenshaw has a woolen mill, in which be operates the first carding machine brought to Paw Paw,
one Frank Taylor having introduced it into the village.
Aside from the manufacturing establishments above named, the principal ones are the foundries of M. Snow &
Sons and W. H. Randall, both of which are engaged chiefly in the production of plows.
First Wedding, Birth, and Death.-The first wedding in Paw Paw was that of Hannah Mead and one Befffontaine, in
1833. The bride was a servant girl in the service of John Thomas, an employee at Job Davis' saw mill, while the
groom was one of the mill hands. There was neither minister nor justice of the peace in the vicinity, but Job Davis,
who declared that he had once been justice of the peace, said he knew the form of the ceremony, and thought it
would be all right if he married them. They thought so, too, and were accordingly married by Davis, and began living
together as man and wife. They soon moved to Indiana, and for aught that is known have lived as happily (or unhappily)
as if a regular ministerial or judicial functionary had celebrated their nuptials.
The first child born in Paw Paw-Simeon, son of Archibald Buys is still living in the township.
The wife of Daniel O. Dodge died in 1837. and was the first who died in Paw Paw. She was buried in the tavern garden,
but in 1838, when the cemetery in the northern portion of the village was laid out, her remains were conveyed thither.
Indian New Year Calls.-On the last day of the year 1835, Peter Gremps moved into the new house built for him by
Williamson Mason and Joseph Royes. That evening Edward Shults-who by reason of a year's residence knew something
of Indian customs-told the family that on the morrow they would be visited by a delegation of Indians, whose fashion
it was to make New Year calls on the white settlers, for the understood purpose of ratifying friendships for another
year. Sure enough, on the ensuing day a band of about twenty five Indians, gayly adorned with paint and feathers,
called in force, somewhat to the trepidation of the women, whom the Indians insisted upon kissing despite violent
protests. Altogether the affair was a jolly one, notwithstanding the kisses. Mrs. Dodge put on her war paint when
the twenty five Indians demanded to kiss her, and by a sudden attack routed and drove them from her house at the
point of the rolling pin.
The First Fourth of July Celebration.-The first celebration of the national holiday in Paw Paw occurred in 1836,
and, according to tradition, was a very patriotic and enthusiastic affair, though confined to a limited number
of patriots and enthusiasts. The ceremonies attendant upon the celebration included an oration by F. C. Annable
(now living in Almena); an address to three veterans of the war of 1812 (of whom Harmon Van Antwerp, aged ninety,
was one), presented by a youthful daughter of Peter Gremps, now Mrs. Alonzo Shults, of Paw Paw; periodical "anvil"
salutes, fired by Rodney Hinekley; and a banquet to everybody; the scene of the dethonstration being the so called
Public Square," an open space in the woods just west of the present court house grounds.
Village Incorporation and List of Officers.-Paw Paw village was incorporated under an act of the Legislature passed
in the spring of 1867, and on the 6th of May of that year the first meeting for the election of village officers
was held at the court house. The judges of election were Russell Parker and J. Whittaker, and the clerk was A.
J. Sorter. Two hundred and eighty six votes were cast, of which Thomas H. Stevenson received 159 votes for president.,
and C. F. Allen, 127. A full list of the persons chosen annually to be president, trustees, recorder, and treasurer
from 1867 to 1879 is here given:
1867.-President, Thomas H. Stephenson; Trustees, F. W. Selleek, Alonzo Sherman, Charles Selleck, E. G. Butler.
Chandler Richards; Recorder, A. J. Sorter; Treasurer, Edwin Barnum.
1868.-President, E. O. Briggs; Trustees, G. J. Hudson, W. H. Randall, E. A. Park, Alonzo Sherman. Chester F. Allen;
Recorder, A. J. Sorter; Treasurer, Charles R. Avery.
1869.-President, E. O. Briggs; Trustees, George Voke, J. W. Van Fossen, Joseph Davey, T. W. Melchor, William H.
Randall; Recorder, A. J. Sorter; Treasurer, George W. Longwell.
1870.-President, Edwin Martin; Trustees, Sydney Cox, A. M. Harrison, E. C. Palmer, P. I. Bragg, Aaron Van Auken;
Recorder. John Knowles; Treasurer, John W. Free.
1871-President, Peter H. Gremps; Trustees. Joseph Darey. E. C. Palmer, Russell Parker, Peter H. Gremps, Sydney
Cox; Recorder, A. M. Harrison; Treasurer, Charles R. Avery.
1872.-President. G. J. Hudson; Trustees. J. H. Freeman, William Wiley. John W. Free. Joshua Hunt, Aaron Van Auken;
Recorder. A. M. Harrison; Treasurer. Charles R. Avery.
1873.-President. J. H. Freeman; Trustees, Joshua. Hunt, George Voke, P. H. Gremps, William Read, A. W. Miller,
James Meyers; Recorder. William H. Mason; Treasurer, Charles R. Avery.
1874.-President, I. W. Willard; Trustees, J. C. Rousseau, Joseph Kilburn, James Bennett; Recorder, W. H. Mason;
Treasurer, C. R. Avery.
1875.-President. Peter H. Gremps; Trustees, E. O. Briggs, Joshua Hunt, A. W. Miller; Recorder, W. H. Mason; Treasurer,
C. R. Avery.
1876.-President. Edmund Smith; Trustees. George W. Longwell, C. R. Ocobock, William C. Macullar; Recorder. William
H. Mason; Treasurer, C. R. Avery.
1877.-President, Loyal Crane; Trustees, Joshua Hunt, A. W. Miller, R. E. Quick; Recorder. Seigfried Shafer; Treasurer,
E. P. Hathaway.
1878.-President, Charles S. Maynard; Trustees, James Phillips, N. P. Conger. Charles Flanders; Recorder, Edgar
M. Snow; Treasurer. E. P. Hathaway.
1879.-President, J. W. Ball; Trustees, Alouzo Schults, James L. Tyr roll, A. F. McNeil; Recorder. E. M. Snow; Treasurer,
E. P. Hathaway.
Paw Paw Fire Department.-This department was organized Sept. 29, 1868, with one engine company and one hose company,
H. L. Eggleston being the chief engineer. A hand engine and hose cart were then purchased and furnished to the
companies; later a hook and ladder company was added. The original engine is still in use, although efforts are
being made to supersede it with a steamer. The officers of the department are William Wiley, Chief Engineer; A.
W. Showerman, Assistant Engineer; S. H. Lamont, Secretary; and M. P. Allen, Treasurer. The engine company numbers
37, Henry Hopping being the foreman. L. W. Meichor is the foreman of the hose company, which has 18 members, and
R. E. Quick of the hook and ladder company, which numbers 14 members.
Fires.-The business centre of the village has on three occasions been ravaged by severe fires, and two of them
were especially disastrous. The first conflagration of any note took place in 1859, when the old Exchange Hotel.
standing upon the site of the present Dyckman House, was destroyed. In 1866 the flames swept both sides of Main
Street west of Kalamazoo Street. The loss was a severe one, but the citizens afterwards found some consolation
in the presence of the fine brick blocks which now line both sides of Main Street upon the district burned over
On the 8th of January, 1868, the north side of Main Street between the Dyckman House and the post office was ravaged
by fire, which incident has thus far been the last important conflagration in the village.
The Peninsular Electric Telegraph Company was organized in 1876, for the purpose of providing local telegraph conveniences.
About two miles of wire are in use, and about 25 families enjoy the convenience of direct telegraphic communication
between their homes and all parts of the village. O. W. Rowland is the President, E. E. Rowland the Superintendent,
and F. J. MeEntee the Secretary and Treasurer.
The Press of Paw Paw.-The first newspaper in Van Buren County was published at Paw Paw in January, 1843, and was
named the Paw Paw Democrat. Mention of that paper has already been made in the general history of the county, as
also sketches of the several newspapers which have been published from time to time in Paw Paw village at later
periods, down to the beginning of 1880, when the National Independent went out of existence. Shortly after that
event the material of the Independent was utilized by a stock company in the publication of the Paw Paw Herald,
which gives promise of success.
Banking.-The village of Paw Paw had no organized banking institution until Aug. 11, 1865, when the First National
Bank of Paw Paw was chartered, with a capital of $50,000. It was the outgrowth of the private bankinghouse of Stevens,
Holton & Co., who had carried on a banking business in Paw Paw for several years previous to 1865, as the successors
of Stevens, French & Co. The first Board of Directors of the First National Bank was composed of Thomas L.
Stevens, Alonzo Sherman, James Crane, Thos. H. Stevens, Chas. S. Maynard, N. M. Pugsley, and E. O. Briggs. Alonzo
Sherman was chosen president, and J. A. Holton cashier.
The bank has now a capital of $100,000, a circulation of $45,000, a deposit account of $65,000, and a loan account
of $120,000. The bank building on Main Street was erected by the directors, and was first occupied in 1867. Mr.
Alouzo Sherman is now the president (having filled that place since 1865), and F. E. Stevens is the cashier.
The robbery of the First National Bank in 1867 was for many years after its occurrence an important local sensation.
It happened in March of that year, while the bank was occupying temporary quarters in B. M. Buck's hardware store,
pending the completion of its new building. The cashier, E. O. Briggs, discovered upon opening the bank safe one
Monday morning that upwards of $22,000 in bonds and currency had been abstracted, and that, too, without leaving
any exterior marks to show that the combination lock had been forced. Pinkerton's Chicago Detective Agency being
called upon to furnish a key to the mystery, Sent one of its corps to Paw Paw, who managed so cleverly that although
he resided at Paw Paw about six months as a professed insurance agent, no one, save two of the bank officials,
knew his real business, until he startled the community one day by causing the arrest of R. M. Buck, the hardware
merchant (a young man high in popular esteem), on the charge of robbing the bank. The evidence against him was
complete, and he was convicted and sentenced to three years' confinement in the State prison. Nearly all the money,
which had been buried by Buck on a farm in Keeler township, was recovered.
The Paw Paw Rifle Company.-This organization was formed in 1839. Andrew Longstreet was chosen captain, Edwin Mears
first lieutenant, and David Woodman second lieutenant. The command numbered about 40 men, and was attached to the
28th Regiment, 14th Brigade, 7th Division, of the State militia. The "Rifles" maintained an organization
until the outbreak of the Mexican war, into which several of the members entered, when the company disbanded.
Paw Paw Lodge, No. 18, I. O. O. F.-This lodge was instituted Nov. 19, 1846, when a charter was issued to John MeKinney,
E. O. Briggs, Frank Taylor, C. R. Muffit, and John Smolk. It is now in a flourishing condition, with a membership
of 78, and owns a handsome lodgeroom, the first session in which was held in 1874. The present officers of the
lodge arc C. W. Ward, N. G.; A. Van Auken, V. G.; O. W. Rowland, Sec.; C. Lich, P. Sec.; E. Martin, Treas.; C.
N. Griffin, W.; O. N. Hilton, C.; Edward Snow, I. G.; ; William Jones, O. G.; C. A. Harrison, R. S. N. G.; N. P.
Congcr, L. S. N. U.; A. F. McNeal, II. S. S.; William Reed, L. S. S.; L. S. Tyrrell, R. S. V. G.; - Chapman, L.
S. V. G.
Of the charter members named above only three are still living,-E. O. Briggs, Frank Taylor, and John Smolk.
Paw Paw Lodge, No. 25, F. and A. M.-This lodge was organized under dispensation May 6, 1848, and on the 10th of
January, 1849, a charter was issued to A. W. Broughton, B. F. Chadwick, D. O. Dodge, Peter Gremps, Hubbell Warner,
O. Warner, and John McKinney. Until the charter was obtained the lodge worked under the "Ancient Order."
At the first election of officers, Feb. 10, 1849, B. F. Chadwick was chosen W. M.; J. B. Baker, S. W.; D. O. Dodge,
J. W.; Peter Gremps, Treas. ; F. E. Stevens, Sec. ; Hubbell Warner, S. P.; Williamson Mason, J. P.; John Smolk,
Tiler. On the 13th of February, 1849, the newly-elected officers were installed by John Stewart, G. M.; C. L. Bird,
D. G. M.; H. Marsh, G. Marshal; Nathaniel Pullman, G. C. The lodge now owns a finely appointed lodge room, and
has upon its roll 100 active members. The present officers are E. Curtis, W. M.; W. M. Thayer, S. W.; J. B. Smith,
J. W.; C. G. Nash, Treas.; F. E. Stevens, See.; and Andrew Harwick, Tiler.
Paw Paw Chapter, No. 34, R. A. M.-This Masonic body was organized Jan. 10, 1865, the charter designating J. R.
Baker as H. P.; 0. S. Simmons as K.; and E. 0. Briggs as Scribe. The membership is now 60, and the officers are
as follows: H. P., G. J. Hudson; K., William Dole; S., William Thayer; C. of H. E. A. Blackman P. S., Ela Curtiss;
R. A. C., C. R. Ocobock; 3d V., Joseph Davy; 2d V., R. 0. Beebe; 1st V., S. Shaefer; Treas., C. G. Nash; Sec.,
F. E. Stevens; Sentinel, A. H. Harwick.
Paw Paw Encampment, No. 30, I. 0. 0. F-Paw Paw Encampment was organized March 26, 1868. The charter members were
C. M. Odell. B. Odell, C. Lich, S. H. Blackman, T. W. Melchor, E. Martin, and J. M. Brown, of whom all are still
living except T. W. Melehor. The membership is now 28, and the officers are as follows: G. W. Matthews. C. P.;
J. M. Brown, H. P.; William Reed, S. W.; 0. W. Rowland, Scribe; C. Lich, Finan. Sec.; E. Martin, Treas. William
P. Jones, J. W,
Paw Paw Lodge, No. 37, A. O. O. W-This is a section of a new secret society, and was organized Feb. 26, 1878. with
10 members. E. S. Dunning was P. M. W.; 0. W. Rowland. M. W. and John Knowles, G. F. The membership on the 1st
of January, 1880, was 26, when the officers were 0. W. Rowland, P. M. W.; Albert Robinson, M. W.; G. M. Koons,
G. F.; S. N. Wilkie, 0. W. H. Mason, Recorder; B. F. Heckert, Financier; M. J. MeEntee, Receiver; R/ A. Whitman.
G.; P. G. Forsyth, I. W.; A. E. Quick, 0. W. Regular scssious are held every Thursday.
Martin Lodge, No. 18, A. Y. M.-This lodge was organized in 1874, with 10 members, L. R. Roberts being W. M.; Jonathan
Grinage, S. W.; and B. F. Roberts, J. W. The membership is now 19. L. R. Roberts is W. M.; Edward Cable, S. W.;
and Francis Smith. J. W. Paw Paw Lodge, No. 30, Knights of Honor.-The society just named was organized Dee. 1,
1877, with 13 members, B. F. Stearns being D.; John Ihling. P. D. and F. B. Kelly, R. The membership is now 22,
and the officers are A. J. Mills, D.; H. Legrave, V. D. C. W. Ward, A. D. H. A. Rogers, G.; J. D. Sherman, T.;
B. F. Stearns, R.; H. S. Williams, F. R; L. C. Woodman, Chaplain. Regular sessions are held the first and third
Thursdays of each month.
Paw Paw Grange, No. 10, P. of H..-The Paw Paw section of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized Dec. 31, 1872,
with about 20 members. The Masters to the present time have been Joseph Gilman, J. J. Qodman, T. R. Harrison, David
Woodman (2d), A. C. Glidden, T. H. Harrison (second term), and J. C. Gould. The present officers are J. C. Gould,
M.; S. D. Scans, 0.; D. Woodman (2d), L.; A. C. Glidden, Chap. James Clancey, Treas.; O. H. P. Sheldon, Sec.;
Peter Brummel, G.; H. D. Sherrod, Steward; M. Buskirk, Assistant Steward.
Blue Ribbon Club.-At a meeting of seven friends of temperance, held in Dickson's harness shop in the year 18787,
the Paw Paw Blue Ribbon Club was organized, for the sole object of promoting the cause of total abstinence, its
seven founders having previously been members of the Red Rihbon Club (since dissolved), from which they had withdrawn
in consequence of their dissatisfaction with its management. The Blue Ribbon Club increased in strength rapidly
from the outset, and down to Jan. 1, 1880, had received full 400 members, of whom there were on that date 334 in
active membership, inclusive of 54 in the children's department. Weekly meetings are held in the Opera House, at
which pleasant literary entertainments are presented to the public free of charge. The present officers are E.
B. Rowland, President; Jared Loveland, First Vice President; Charles Stevens, Second Vice President; Miss E. E.
Crane, Recording Secretary; E. H. Lindsley, Financial Secretary; C. C. Hoppin, Treasurer; and Frank Rawson, Marshal.
The Opera House.-In 1876, George W. Longwell bought the building previously used for thirty two years as a Methodist
church and transformed it into a commodious and tastefully appointed theatre. It has a seating capacity of 600,
is supplied with a gallery, and has a stage well furnished with scenery and mechanical appliances.
Library and Literary Association.-An institution was organized in January, 1880, for the purpose of providing a
public library and reading room, and has received at the outset such encouragement as to give it a strong prospect
Continued in Prospect Hill Cemetery, Religious
Societies & Schools.