History of the village of Wykoff, Fillmore County, Minnesota
From: History of Fillmore County, Minnesota
Compiled by Franklin Curtiss-Wedge
H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co.
Chicago 1912

WYKOFF, VILLAGE.

Wykoff is a thriving village on the southern Minnesota division of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, in Fillmore township. It has four churches, a creamery, two banks, five general stores, a. drug store, a clothier, two hardware stores, a furniture store, a jewelry store, a restaurant and grocery store combined, a meat market, two saloons, a newspaper, five elevators, flour mill, two blacksmith and woodworking shops, two implement dealers, harness shop, a livery barn, several fraternities, a public school and a Lutheran school, a thriving business men's association, water works, street lights, postoffice, and the usual business and professional activities.

Wykoff Business Men's Association. This association was organized Aug. 16, 1907, with thirty five members. The first officers were: President, J. T. Dunn; vice president, W. H. Miller; treasurer, C. M. Allen; secretary, E. P. Johnson. The organization was responsible for: The building of the creamery; the building of the ball park; the installation of hitching posts to the value of $100.00; the improvement of the roads in the vicinity; the agitation of the lighting proposition, which resulted in the village putting in a coal gas plant, costing $3,000.00; and many other improvements. The society was finally discontinued, the last meeting being held December 21, 1908, at which time there were enrolled forty one members.

Early History. Wykoff was projected simultaneously with the coming of the railroad and was platted two years later. The land was originally pre-empted in June, 1856, by F. H. Bartlett. The first settler here was F. H. Bartlett, who came from Oneida county, New York, landed at this point in June, 1856, located on the southwest quarter of section twenty two, within the limits of the present village, and erected a native timber residence to protect himself, wife, and two children, Elsie and Elmer. Wm. Odell came at the same time, but remained only a few days and moved to Cannon Falls. A. Clifford pre-empted 160 acres in section twenty one. These were the original owners. The village was platted by H. W. Holley, the chief engineer of the railroad, who, with F. H. Bartlett, owned the land. The plat was recorded in 1871, when the depot was built. In 1875, an addition of twenty acres was made, and called Bartlett & Bank's addition. The first building was constructed as a boardinghouse for some time. The first store was by W. R. & C. G. Edwards. In December, 1871, they got in the first stock of general merchandise. Marvin and D. J. Egleston soon put up the store and put in a stock of goods. A. It. Brass built a warehouse, and the two elevators went up at the same time.

Municipal History. Wykoff was incorporated as a village by special act of the legislature approved March 8, 1876. Frank H. Bartlett, Charles W. Crain and L. G. Kilborn were the provisional officers to secure the organization. The principal officers of the village have been

1876 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, M. J. Barrett, Fred Wendorf, A. Drew; recorder, L. G. Kilborn; treasurer, W. G. Banks.

1877 - President, K H. Bartlett; trustees; AL J. Barrett, Fred Wendorf, Alex Stewart; recorder, J. T. Sherman; treasurer, E. M. Lockwood.

1878 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, P. R. Jorris, Fred Wendorf, Timothy Stout; recorder, L. G. Kilborn; treasurer, John Gregor.

1879 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, J. A. Rutherford, Charles Drew, Timothy Stout; recorder, L. G. Kilborn; treasurer, R. Odell.

1880 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, Jacob Rau, J. A. Rutherford, J. H. Phillips; recorder, P. R. Jorris; treasurer, R. Odell.

1881-President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, P. R. Jorris, Jacob Rau, J. H. Phillips; recorder, F. C. Krueger; treasurer, R. Odell.

1882 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, P. R. Jorris, J. H. Phillips, F. V. Coelln; recorder, J. R. Murrel; treasurer, L. G. Kilborn.

1883 - President, Jacob Rau; trustees, F. V. Coelln, P. R. Jorris, E. D. Bartlett; recorder, J. R. Murrel; treasurer, L. G. Kilborn.

1884 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, F. V. Coelln, P. R. Jorris, James Fitzhun; recorder, J. R. Murrel; treasurer, L. G. Kilborn.

1885 - President, P. H. Bartlett; trustees, P. R. Jorris, W. G. Banks, James Fitzthun; recorder, J. R. Murrel; treasurer, L. G. Kilborn.

1886 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, P. R. Jorris, C. F. Schatz, W. G. Banks; recorder, H. A. Spies; treasurer, L. G. Kilborn.

1887 - President. F. H. Bartlett: trustees, James Fitzthun, Erdman Krueger, J. R. Murrel; recorder, W. J. Rau; treasurer, L. G. Kilborn.

1888 - President, P. R. Jorris; trustees, Erdman Krueger, D. C. Green, Patrick Healy; recorder, W. J. Rau.

1889 - President, P. R. Jorris; trustees, D. C. Green, Erdman Krueger, H. A. Spies; recorder, J. R. Murrel.

1890 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, D. C. Green, Erdman Krueger, Edward Conroy; recorder, P. R. Jorris; treasurer, Fred Wendorf.

1891 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, Erdman Krueger, Edward Conroy, D. C. Green; recorder, P. R. Jorris; treasurer, Fred Wendorf.

1892 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, D. C. Green, E. Krueger, Jacob Rau; recorder, P. R. Jorris; treasurer, Fred Wendorf.

1893 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, E. Krueger, Jacob Rau, D. C. Green; recorder, P. R. Jorris; treasurer, Fred Wendorf.

1894 - President, F. H. Bartlett; trustees, E. D. Bartlett, C. F. Schatz, August Derenthal; recorder, P. R. Jorris; treasurer, Fred Wendorf.

1895 - President, E. D. Bartlett; trustees, August Derenthal, J. M. Moore, J. R. Murrel; recorder, G. L. Rau; treasurer, Fred Wendorf.

1896 - President, E. D. Bartlett; trustees, August Derenthal, J. M. Moore, J. R. Murrel; recorder, G. L. Rau; treasurer, Fred Wendorf.

1897 - President, W. G. Banks; trustees, G. E. Campbell, D. N. Peshak, E. J. Flynn; recorder, M. J. Healy; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1898 - President, J. R. Murrel; trustees, W. F. Lenz, P. R. Jorris, August Derenthal; recorder, G. W. Pulham; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1899 - President, J. R. Murrel; trustees, W. F. Lenz, P. R. Jorris, August Derenthal; recorder, George Rau; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1900 - President, E. D. Barlett; trustees, C. J. Spies, W. F. Lenz, G. E. Campbell; recorder, George Rau; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1901 - President, S. Thoeni; trustees, O. M. Rowley, M. Eggleston, George Stuart; recorder, Edward Geske; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1902 - President, S. Thoeni; trustees, M. Flanagan, Jacob Rau, A. G. Spies; recorder, Edward Geske; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1903 - President, S. Thoeni; trustees, J. M. Moore, Jacob Rau, A. G. Spies; recorder, W. F. Krueger; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1904 - President, S. Thoeni; trustees, J. M. Moore, Jacob Rau, William Crowley; recorder, D. M. Peshak; treasurer, Join Wendorf.

1905 - President, George Rau; trustees, O. M. Rowley, L. C. Kramer, William Crowley; recorder, D. M. Peshak; treasurer, Join Wendorf.

1906 - President, S. Thoeni; trustees, L. C. Kramer, August Derenthal, W. H. Miller; recorder, W. F. Krueger; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1907 - President, August Derenthal; trustees, W. H. Miller, O. M. Rowley, John Lottes; recorder, Edward Behring; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1908 - President, August Derenthal; trustees, William Crowley, E. H. Alberts, John Lottes; recorder, E. P. Johnson; treasurer, A. G. Spies.

1909 - President, August Derenthal; trustees, John Lottes, E. H. Alberts, T. Healy; recorder, G. N. Sheppard; treasurer, A. G. Spies.

1910 - President, August Derenthal; trustees, T. Healy, E. H. Alberts, William Crowley; recorder, E. P. Johnson; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1911 - President, August Derenthal; trustees, Archie Holets, Thomas Healy, William Crowley; recorder, E. P. Johnson; treasurer, John Wendorf.

1912 - President, August Derenthal; trustees, Thomas Healy, C. H. Devilliers, E. H. Alberts; recorder, E. P. Johnson; treasurer, E. L. Behring; assessor, W. F. Krueger; justices, A. H. Fligge, P. Hoffman.

Wykoff Water Works. April 25, 1899, the village voted bonds to the amount of $7,000 to construct a water works system. A system of four inch pipe was installed covering the principal streets. The pipe which was known as "spiral riveted" proved unsatisfactory, and on. June 6, 1899, the village again voted bonds to the amount of $1,477.00, and a contract was awarded to Jackson & Moss for the amount of the bonds, to complete and extend the system. At present a seven horsepower boiler supplies power to run the pumps.

Prominent Citizens. Among the prominent citizens of Wykoff may be mentioned: Marvin Eggleston, Fred Wendorf, John Wendorf, F. H. Bartlett, Jacob Rau, P. R. Jorris, S. Thoeni, E. D. Bartlett, W. G. Banks, J. R. Murrel, George Rau, August Derenthal, C. F. Schatz, A. G. Spies, D. C. Green, Edward Langan, C. M. Allen, C. J. Spies, and many others.


Return to [ Minnesota History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [ Minnesota Biographies ]


Minnesota Counties at this web site - Dakota - Fillmore - Houston - Waseca - Winona

Also see the local histories for [ CA ] [ CT ] [ IA ] [ IL ] [ IN ] [ KS ] [ ME ] [ MO ] [ MI ] [ MN ] [ NE ] [ NJ ] [ NY ] [ OH ] [ PA ] [ WI ]


All pages copyright 2003-2013. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy