This is one of the towns that has preserved its records in good shape. At first it was a part of the precinct
of Swavesey, and so remained until April 5, 1858.
There seems to be something of a conflict of authorities regarding the organization of this township The county
commissioner record shows that the township of Blooming Grove was set off by itself by an order of the board of
commissioners April 5, 1858, and that Patrick Healey, James Isaacs, and J. M. Bliven were appointed judges of election.
But the records of the town show that the voters themselves had organized nearly a month before. The first recorded
history of the town reads as follows:
"TOWN OF BLOOMING GROVE.
According to an act to provide for township organization, a meeting was held at the house of Patrick Healy,
in the town of Blooming Grove, Waseca county, state of Minnesota, March 11, 1858, for the purpose of electing town
officers, and enacting such other township business as provided in said act.
The meeting being called to order at the proper time, James Isaacs was chosen as moderator and Morgan Woodruff
as clerk. The polls were kept open from 9 o'clock a. m. to 5 o'clock p. m., with one hour adjournment at noon.
After closing the polls the votes were canvassed by the moderator, when the result of the election of town officers
was found to be as follows:
For chairman of board of supervisors, Philo Woodruff received 52 votes; for supervisors, James Isaacs 25 votes,
A. Derrin 25 votes. After drawing for a decision, James Isaacs was declared elected. Patrick Healy (for supervisor)
received 49 votes; for town clerk, Sam T. Isaacs 26 votes, Peter Eckert 24 votes; assessor, Patrick McCullough
27 votes, W. Donaldson 22 votes; collector, Patrick McCullough 22 votes, E. J. Southworth 22 votes. After drawing
Patrick McCullough was declared elected. For overseer of the poor, D. T. Bells received 50 votes, S. F. Wyman 2
votes; for constables, J. R. Smith received 48 votes, H. B. Withrow 46, M. Healy 1; justice of the peace, Elias
Conner 47 votes, James Isaacs 24, Daniel Riegle 27."
From this it appears that fifty two ballots were cast, and that the first town meeting was closely contested as
to some of the officers. At this meeting a tax of $100 was directed to be levied to defray town expenses. It was
also unanimously voted that the town be divided into four road districts - the northeast quarter of the town to
be designated as No. 1, the northwest quarter No. 2, the southwest quarter No. 3. and the southeast quarter No.
Patrick McCullough was chosen overseer of district one, Jonathan Howell of district two, Patrick Murray of district
three, and James Isaacs of district four.
It was determined by the voters present that cattle, horses and mules, over one year old, should be allowed to
run at large. It was also declared that a "rail fence on crotches or spiles, four rails high, staked and ridered,
or a board (fence) four feet and a half high, with three boards five inches wide, should be a lawful fence."
The meeting then adjourned until the first Tuesday in April, 1859.
The proceedings of this meeting are given in full, because it was one of great importance to the township, and
because it shows how orderly and intelligently the pioneers of this county conducted public affairs, notwithstanding
the slurs of Eastern editors about the "wild and woolly West."
The German Methodists held services in this town at the house of Chris Remund as early as 1856. In 1860 they erected
a small church, and in 1885 they built the present building in the Remund neighborhood. The German M. E. society
in the Saufferer neighborhood was organized in 1858. For many years services were held at the residence of Hon.
John L. Saufferer and then in the school house until about 1873, when they built a brick veneered church on section
1. In 1885 this building was reconstructed and given a handsome spire.
The Norwegian Lutheran church, on section 19, which accommodates people both in Iosco and Blooming Grove, was built
in 1864. The Norwegian Lutherans of that neighborhood held their first church services at the house of Alec Herlugsen,
Oct. 17, 1858. Rev. Laur Larson was the first pastor. He was followed successively by Rev. B. J. Muus, Rev. Quammen,
Rev. O. A. Mellby of New Richland, Rev. Quanbeck, and Rev. R. P. Wasbotten of Waseca, the latter now being in charge.
The first recorded death was that of Mrs. Josiah Smith, who died in the fall of 1856. A postoffice was established
in the town in 1857, and Mrs. William Gibbs was made postmistress. The office was situated on section 5. It afterwards
passed into the hands of James R. Davidson, and was suspended in 1880.
W. H. H. Jackson, one of the very early settlers, is authority for the statement that the first death among the
old settlers of the township was that of Henry Howell, a native of England, who was frozen to death in 1858, as
William Reinhardt, born in Berlin, Prussia, Feb. 10, 1850, came to America in 1855 with his parents and to Blooming
Grove in 1857 His father died in 1876. He married Caroline Kruger in 1878. Justus Reinhardt, a brother of William,
was born in Illinois, Oct. 12, 1857, and came with his parents to Blooming Grove in 1858. He married Miss Helen
Fehner in 1883. They are prosperous residents of the town.
Francis Brossard, son of Augustus and Agatha Brossard, was born at Lenox, Mass., Nov. 18, 1833, and came to Blooming
Grove in 1859 with his father's family. There were ten children of the Augustus Brossard family: Francis, Augustus,
Edward, Charles, Joseph, Julia (Mrs. Oliver James), Adele (Mrs. Constant Brossard), Rosalie (Mrs. O. P. Smith),
Louise (Mrs. J. E. Jones) and Josephine (Mrs. D. T. Ballard). The Brossards took an active part in the early development
of the country. The old gentleman and several of the sons resided in St. Mary at an early day.