Edited by S. W. Gleason
Warren township embraces township 106, range 8. It is bounded on the north by Hillsdale township, on the east
by Wilson township, on the south by Hart township, and on the west by Utica township. The surface in the north
and northeastern part is very much broken, while the remainder forms a level prairie. Warren is traversed by two
branches of Rollingstone creek. The east branch rises in section 26, flows north through sections 23, 14, 11, 10,
3 and 2, leaving the township on section 3. The west branch rises in sections 7 and 8, flows northeast through
section 5 and leaves the township on section 5.
First Settlers. The first settler in Warren township was William Duncanson. He made the first wagon track through
this neighborhood on June 5, 1854, and settled on the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 20.
In the fall of 1854 his son Theodore was born. A territorial road was surveyed in the early days, from Chatfield
to Winona, passing through this township. William Duncanson was followed in the fall of 1854 by Jacob Duncanson,
his brother who settled in section 21. Oliver Panger and A. J. Ayers arrived about the same time and settled on
Early Events. Wyattville postoffice was established in section 33 about 1859, with Hiram Wyatt as postmaster. Frank
Hill postoffice was established at the same time, with A. B. Dunlap as postmaster. About 1862 two other postoffices
were in existence, one in section 19 and the other in section 20. The one in section 19 was known as North Warren,
and kept by S. W. Gleason; the one in section 20 was kept by Hiram Paris, and was known as Warren postoffice. Both
of these were abandoned soon after their establishment. In 1856 a large hotel or tavern wag kept for the accommodation
of travelers by James McQuestion on section 20. This hotel was burned some time in 1865. A store devoted to general
merchandise was opened by Farrar & Russell in 1859 on section 33. A flour mill was built in 1857; this was
at first used as a sawmill, but was converted into a gristmill in 1865. Leonard George kept a school in 1856 in
a private house which stood on section 21. The next school was kept by Margaret Grey in a little schoolhouse built
on section 31 in 1857. Susan Buswell taught the next school in 1858. It was located in section 20 and in S. W.
Land Office Records. The first claims to land in Warren township were filed in 1855. Those who filed that year
were as follows, the section being given first, the name of the claimant next, and the date of the filing last.
In case the settler had land in more than one section, only one section is noted.
One - Joel S. Smith, November 14. 2 - William C. Dodge, May 28; David G. Smith, May 15. 3 - James B. Stockton,
November 19; Solomon Ramer, October 30. 4 - Philip Ramer, October 30; Michael Floyd, October 27. 5 - Charles Jones,
October 26; Peter H. Martens, November 19; William Gordon, October 24; Hans H. Schott, November 19. 6 - George
Andrews Frey, November 19; Fred W. Miniski, November 19. 7 - James Howell, June 26; David Whetstone, November 13;
James Meyers, November 13; Jonathan Lewis, December 8; Benj. M. Peterson, October 18. 8 - William G. Ewing, March
29; William Lewis, October 22. 9 - George R. Fryer, October 30. 10 - Polly Taxbox, November 19. 13 - Adam Ginther,
October 16. 14 - Charles E. Churchill, March 29. 17 - Robert Haslip, October 31; Stephen Thackery, October 15.
18 - George Phalzraf, October 23; Christian F. Wirt, October 11; Samuel Aiken, Jr., October 26. 19 - Andrew J.
Eayres, October 8; S. W. Gleason, August 15. 20 - Frank J. McQueston, October 9; Willard Duncanson, October 23;
Joseph Cornell, October 2; Charles Albee, June 1 21 - Howard Rigdon, October 31, Samuel Breese, November 31; Leonard
George, October 22; Jacob Duncanson, October 23. 22 - Leander Tart, October 31. 23 - John T. Gunther, October 19;
Harris B. Gary, August 7; John B. Knapp. 25 - Andrew Wanderly, October 31. 26 - John Dumong, October 20; Frank
D. Rogers, October 31; H. Wyatte, October 31. 27 - Almon Sartwell, October 31; Charles Waters, October 31. 28 -
Truman H. Judd, October 31; Mortimer Gage, October 27; Benjamin Calder, October 19; Jeremiah Gray; October 24;
Lucius Brainard, June 2. 29 - John C. Sprague, October 23; Moses Stickney, October 11; Lyman Conell, October 24;
Amos M. Williams, October 24; David Price, October 24. 30 - Jeremiah Biram, October 24; Asa C. Brundage, October
11; John L. Farrar, October 22. 31 - Whelock P. Thayer, October 31; John Burridge, September 26; Zenas Thayer,
October 31. 32 - Benjamin Griffith, October 31; John Evans, November 1; Eben B. Jewett, November 1; Jacob Burridge,
May 29. 33 - Henry P. Archer, October 25; Jesse Wheeler, November 1. 34 - Henry D. Frink, June 18; H. Rogers, October
19; Richard Toner, November 1; Joseph Considine, October 15. 35 - Fred Hall, November 1; George Knapp, November
1. It is said that Hiram Wyatt, Joseph Mister, L. B. Ferrin and Sylvester Frink secured claims this year.
Organization. The first meeting was held and the township organized May 11, 1858. S. W. Gleason was appointed town
clerk. The board elected: Supervisors, A. P. Hoit, L. B. Ferrin, Zenas Thayer; constables, W. P. Thayer, J. Oliver;
overseer of the poor, Sylvester Frink; justices of the peace, H. Rigdon and Jesse Wheeler; collector, J. L. Farrar;
assessor, Lucius Brainerd. For a time sections 1 to 12 inclusive in what is now Warren township, were included
in Hillsdale township.