Deepwater township is much broken by Deepwater creek and its tributaries, and hence it has considerable rough,
timbered land; but the soil is generally good, and corn, grass and the cereals flourish.
It is not known, at least it is not written, when the, first settler made his home in this township, but Hiram
Snodgrass came into and settled in Deepwater township, south side of Deepwater creek, near Henry county line, in
section 24, in 1839. He died there in 1881. The land had just been sectionized and he entered 300 acres. Others
who lived, there as early as 1839 were C. Schmedting, two Morasses, Means, Arbuckle, Moore, Ballow, and Beatty,
Isaac, a son of Hiram Snodgrass, married Susan B, Myers, a daughter of Judge John D, Myers, in 1853,
Samuel Scott settled on the north side of Deepwater creek in 1834, and was appointed sheriff of the new county
of Vernon when it was established in 1852, but the organization of Vernon county being afterward declared invalid,
he lost his office, He went to Linn county, Kansas, in 1854, was elected by the pro slavery party to the Territorial
Legislature, and was killed by a band of guerillas in 1859, Others who came between 1834 and 1845 may be mentioned:
Oliver and George Drake, James Cummins, Peyton Gutridge, Rev, Milton Morris, James Morris, Sam and Matt Arbuckle,
and Mrs, Elizabeth McGowen.
The list of those who came and settled prior to the war is too long for the purpose of this chapter, but it includes
such distinguished citizens as Ex-State Senator John B. Newberry, and Ex-Sheriff and Recorder James M, Simpson,
many of whom will be adequately mentioned elsewhere in this book.
Jacob Lutsenhizer was the pioneer miller and erected his mill which ground corn only, on Straight branch in 1841.
There is no record of how it was operated or how long it existed, except a statement that Oliver Drake began the
erection of a mill on the same spot in 1854, but died without completing it,
The village of. Spruce is located near the center of the township on section 16, has two stores, a blacksmith shop,
two church edifices and an Odd Fellows' hall, and two rural mail routes, It is the business center of the township,
and a prosperous village,