Deer Creek Township.
Deer Creek township lies directly Best of Grand River township. The Missouri Pacific railroad runs nearly directly
through the township, north and south. This township is principally an undulating prairie, with very little rough
or waste land, and is principally drained by Mormon Fork into Grand river, which forms for a short distance the
northern boundary, and Deer creek, after which the township takes its name.
Among the prominent and known pioneers of this township may be mentioned the following: Joseph J. McCraw, a native
of Halifax county, Virginia, came from Jackson county, Missouri, and settled in Deer Creek township in 1849. There
were eight children in the family. He died in 1853. Other than the McCraws in 1850 may be mentioned: Richard Barker,
Moses Barker, Matt Hill, William Mitchell, Bhuford, Stephen and Alfred Haynes, Brown C. Seagraves and a' Mr. Adams;
John Moudy came in 1856; Henry and. John Rogers came the same year; John P. Wells came in 1855; John Murphy came
in 1856; John Blunt, in 1861; James Howerton, in 1855; W. S. Hughes, in 1854. Other old settlers, the exact date
of whose coming is not known by the writer, are: Oliver Mitchell; Eli T. Sullins; M. C. Heiser, Emanuel Lemon,
L. F. Kiser, L. C. Oder, Henry Hughes, Samuel Sligar, Isaiah Prebbel, Danial Goodin, Jonathan Adams and Allen.
Adrian is situate in the extreme south central part of Deer Creek township on the Missouri Pacific railroad, and
is a town of such considerable importance that it should be treated separately in another part of this book.
Crescent Hill was located near the center of the township, and before the coming of the Missouri Pacific railroad
in 1880, was a thrifty village but the railroad did not come through the village and when Adrian was surveyed and
platted the business formerly done at Crescent Hill naturally drifted to the new and rapidly developing town; and
Crescent Hill may fairly be said to have taken its place among other extinct and almost forgotten cities.