History of Grand River Township, Bates County, Missouri
From: History of Bates County, Missouri
By: W. O. Atkeson
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Cleveland 1918

Grand River Township.

This township lies directly west of Mingo, and is also bounded on the north by Grand river, which is the line at this point between Bates and Cass. It is a rolling prairie, broken more or less by the. following principal streams Which flow in a general northern direction into Grand river: Elk Fork, Mingo and Little Deer creek.

Among the early settlers may be mentioned Louis C. Haggard, Joseph Hilly, George Sears, Richard DeJarnett, John Sigler, Jake Lefler, Kimsey Coats, William Crawford, William Edwards, John and Joseph Pardee, Hiram and D. C. Edwards, Martin Owens, Martin Owens, Jr., Crayton Owens, Sarah White, M. M. Tucker, James Williams, Hardway Harrison, James and S. E. Harrison, and William France. Many of these names are still familiar in the township, being children or grandchildren of the pioneers.

The village of Altona is situate in the south central part, and it was laid out in January, 1860, by William Crawford, the owner of the land. A man by the name of Scoggin erected the first business house in the village. In 1868, Harrison and Shoube erected a grist and saw mill, which was afterward removed to Cass county. In 1878, the Missionary Baptists built a church edifice there. J. D. Wright and wife, George Moles and wife, August Warlord and Mitchell Warford and family were among its early members.

Return to [ Bates County ] [ MO History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy