Bounded on the north by Grand river, which separates it from Cass county, on the east by Henry county, on the
south by Spruce township, and on the west by Grand River township. It is not. quite a full congressional township
of thirty six sections, all of sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 lying north of Grand river in Cass county, and also
parts of sections 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, all in township 42, range 29 west.
The land is rich and rolling, and more or less rugged, and is drained by Grand river on the north, and by Cove
and Peter creeks, with Elk Fork touching the northwest corner of the township.
H. M. White came from Wayne county, Kentucky and settled on Elk Fork creek in this township in 1844, and died there
in 1872. His son; J. M. White, was born there in 1846. Austin and Joseph Reeder settled between Elk Fork and Peter
creeks in 1832. Alexander Earhart a native of West Virginia, opened a farm on Elk Fork in 1851, and his brother,
Stronger, came at the same time. Among other early settlers were Robert Davis, Jefferson Lake, Morgan Settle, Nicholas
Poage, Martin Hackler, Hamilton Burris, Joel Sparks, Jonathan Starks, Reece Hackler, Fred Cackler, James. Settle,
John C. Gragg, George Earhart, A. M. Gragg, Stephen Williams, the Ashcrafts, Shatleys, and Chadwells.
The first mill was erected at Settle Ford by Nicholas Poage. Cove City, in the north central part of the township,
back in the seventies, was a business point, but has practically taken its place with the forgotten cities. Mayesburg
in the southeastern part of the township was founded in 1878, and Mayes & Carlton, merchants, built the first
house and conducted a mercantile business there for many years. L. O. Carlton was the first postmaster, R. D. Gerdon
the first blacksmith, and Dr. M. Duttler the first physician. G. A. Poage and G. W. West conducted a drug store
there in the early days. The building of the Kansas City, Clinton & Springfield railroad through Urich a few
miles distant in Henry county affected the development of Mayesburg, and the establishment of the rural mail delivery
eliminated the post office at that village. It is still a trading point, but little more.