Mound lies directly east of Elkhart, south of Deer. Creek, north of Mt. Pleasant and west of Shawnee, township.
41, range 31.
It is a typical prairie country, undulating, and not much broken. Bones creek in the southwest portion, an affluent
of the Miami, is the only stream worth mentioning, but the township is abundantly watered by wells, ponds, and
Being practically a woodless prairie in the early days, settlement was slow. It was pre eminently a cattle and
grazing territory. History records the fact that Boston H. Bowman and family settled on Bones creek in the south
part of the township in 1855, and remained there till he died. He reared a family and left a widow who told the
historian that when water was not plentiful in Bones creek, they often had to go to Balltown, then on the Little
Osage in Vernon county to mill, and wait a long time for their grist. She recollected that at one time it took
a week for her husband to go to mill and return. The family went to Illinois the latter part of the war, but returned
to their home in Mound afterward, and he died in 1868.
Passaic was laid out July 14, 1891, by Chas. S. Conklin, situate on the Missouri Pacific railway, about half way
between Butler and Adrian. It is a good shipping point. It has a store, elevator and hotel, and it is the community
center of south central Mound township.