History of Mt. Pleasant Township, Bates County, Missouri
From: History of Bates County, Missouri
By: W. O. Atkeson
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Cleveland 1918

Mt. Pleasant Township.

Mt. Pleasant is the center township of the county and is bounded on the north by Mound, on the west by Charlotte, on the south by Lone Oak and New Home, and on the east by Summit, it is township 40, range 31 west, It is largely prairie, broken more or less by the Miami and Mound branches and their tributaries, Some rock and timber. The soil is good mulatto prairie, with rich bottoms along the larger streams, Generally speaking it is a beautiful undulating prairie country,

We gather from an old history of Bates county that all the following were early settlers and made their settlements prior to 1861: George W, and Alexander Patterson, William Hurt in 1858, George W, Pierce, Alfred Miller, Jacob D, and Joel B. Wright, Henry Mills, Lewis Dixon, in 1861, several families of the Robinsons, Ham Case, Nathaniel and D, Porter, Reverend Phoenix of the Christian church, John Morris, in 1843, Dr, Giles B, Davis in 1843, Thomas and William McCord sometime prior to 1843, Wilds, a Mormon, settled on section 19 in 1838,

Butler is the county seat, and is about the center of the township, and near the center of the county. Its location is sightly and well drained, and sanitary conditions by nature are good: Mound branch, a short distance east, is the only considerable stream near it.

For further data about Butler, her people and business, see chapter on Butler,

Return to [ Bates County ] [ MO History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy