On the construction of what is known as the L. & S. branch of the Missouri Pacific railroad, north and south
through the center of the county, in 1880, the town of Archie came into existence. It is located near the center
of the south boundary of the county. It draws an extensive trade from both Cass and Bates Counties.
The first business house was built in 1880 by Henry T. Carr. From the day of its laying out the town has had a
steady growth. It is surrounded by a rich agricultural country and is one of the principal railroad shipping outlets
for this country. Today it is quite a busy trading point. Investments in town property are safe and sound. It has
passed the day of experiment. The values are fixed and reliable. It contains a safe and reliable bank, a mill,
elevator, the center of a good telephone system, extensive granitoid walks, its church edifices are substantial
and modern, all well attended by a devout Christian people. It contains a commodious brick high school building,
furnishing extensive and convenient educational facilities for the locality. The push and thrift and able, high,
fair and progressive spirit of its business people makes its future quite promising for a business location, residence
or investment. Archie is on the map to stay as one of the good towns of the county.
Cleveland is on the western border of the county near the halfway distance north and south of the county. It
is located on the Kansas City and Southern railroad, and was located on the projection of this railroad. The population
of Cleveland is about 400, and it has a high school of a high order of training.
The Cleveland Bank is managed by W. E. Morgan, one of the safe financiers of the county, and is a valuable adjunct
to the business of the surrounding country. Quite an extensive business is done at this place both in Cass County
and across the line in Kansas.
The ability of its business men is a safe criterion of the town's future prosperity. Already its schools, churches
and city government make it a pleasant place for one to have a home, and a sound place to invest. Cleveland is
substantially built and the rich agricultural lands around bids an omen of great prosperity and progress.
In the extreme southwestern part of the county is located Drexel. It was platted on the completion of the Kansas
City and Southern railroad in 1891. The town of Brosley went out of existence and practically moved to the present
site of this city.
Drexel is organized as a city of the fourth class and governed as such by its mayor and board of aldermen. The
last governmental census gave it a population of 512. It has probably doubled its population since then. Its business
houses are principally constructed of brick. There are two substantial banks, well managed and backed by some of
the wealthiest men of the county. Drexel has a high school building which would do credit to a city of many times
its population. The churches are several, all substantial structures and well attended. Drexel well merits the
reputation as a church going and working people. The town is thoroughly abreast of the times, has electric light
and telephone systems. The streets have good granitoid walks, along which are handsome homes and well kept lawns.
Every branch of business is represented.
The Drexel Star is a well edited, printed and newsy paper, keeping the surrounding country informed as to the going
on in town as well as the outside world. The Drexel Mercantile Company is one of the big institutions of the county.
Should one be seeking a pleasant home place, Drexel is such an ideal place in which to rear a family. The surroundings
are elevating and clean. It has passed the day of doubt, there are investments safe and profitable. Its bank clearings
and business record is of the highest order. No person has seen all of Cass County, unless they have visited Drexel
and seen the push and energy of her people.
Six miles east of the county seat, on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas and on the Frisco railroads, is located
East Lynne. It was founded in 1871 by Noah M. Givan and Daniel K. Hall, at the time of the projection of the Missouri,
Kansas and Texas railway. It was named after the old time country play of that name.
The first business house was built by J. W. McSpadden. The first residence by J. C. Bridges. The first church erected
was a Baptist church. The first child born was a son to John M. Farmer, now deceased. The first marriage was Harry
Hudson to Mary Jasper. Dr. G. W. Farrow was the first physician (he now resides in Kansas City). Rev. A. P. Williams,
a Baptist minister, preached the first sermon and Frost Snow opened the first saloon. The first railroad, in its
existence bore several names, is now known as the Missouri, Kansas and Texas.
Owing to fires and other drawbacks, East Lynne had a hard time to retain an existence. Today it is on a safe basis.
It is surrounded by a fertile country and a substantial citizenship, generally of German origin. It today, contains
two well managed banks, carrying large deposits. Equipped with a good common school and church facilities, it is
on a sound and firm basis for future prosperity. The two railroads given competition in shipping and gives decided
advantages in facilities for transport of products, both in and out of the county. East Lynn has recovered from
its discouragements and is pushing forward to success, which the business men of the town and people of the community
so much deserve.
Ten miles west of the county seat, on Pony Creek, across the range line, between ranges 32 and 33, in 1871,
was founded the hamlet of Freeman. It is practically the successor of Morristown, situate one mile north of Freeman,
and dates its ancient history as far back as 1854. When, what is now called the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railroad,
was constructed, east and west, through the center of the county, the town of Freeman was born, or more correctly
speaking, the town of Morristown picked up her skirts and moved to the railroad, for the simple reason the railroad
would not climb the hill to her. This town was also platted by Hall and Givan, with other associates.
Freeman, probably at its birth, had more native Cass Countians than any other new town of the county. People from
other parts of the county, for speculative purposes, settled other towns, but not so with Freeman. As a general
rule its people lived nearby prior to the opening of the town. Freeman in its earlier days had a good trade from
the country around. In time other towns sprung up, curtailing her trade, largely. She lived through the time of
depression caused in this way, and is now one of the prosperous towns of the county, enjoying an extensive and
very profitable trade. Her merchants deal fairly and attract and hold a good trade. She is now on the high tide
Freeman has one bank of $10,000 capital, holding large deposits and doing a business creditable to a bank of many
times its capital. This institution is managed by W. H. Lundy, the genial and affable cashier, a safe and reliable
man for both bank and customer. The schools, churches and lodges of Freeman are all well supported and attended
and considered by her people as a great asset to the town. Such high ideals of necessity make a pleasant place
to reside, to do business, trade and invest.
The new town of Peculiar is located on the Kansas City, Clinton and Springfield railway, ten miles northwest
of the county seat. By the last general census it contained a population of 206, and now has approximately a population
of 500. It is a well built and goodly managed town. Situate as it is, in the midst of the finest agricultural country
the eye ever beheld, does in fact, and of necessity, do a lucrative business.
The business men of the town have a keen insight to the demands of the people and are eager to meet such. Their
people are wideawake and alert to them and their neighbors' welfare. In this union is the secret of the success
There is a substantial bank here in point of capital and is superbly managed. It is profitable to its stockholders
and a blessing to the community. A lumber yard meeting the demands and approval of the people. Practically all
lines of business are filled. Peculiar is renowned for her school and church facilities. Her people always aspire
to better and higher ideals and are known as a God serving and happy people.
When the good Lord made the earth He seemed to be partial to Raymore, situate near the central north line of
the county, by establishing her in the midst of a veritable garden. It is conceded by well informed people that
the country contributory to this little town is of the very richest and most fertile. Close to a great market,
ready and able to raise anything produced in the agricultural line, equipped with ample business concerns, well
managed, what else can be said.
Raymore has a bank, the capital stock of which is not for sale, well managed, safe and sound. Good church edifices,
well attended, high class of schools, low taxes and a happy people. Why shouldn't they be? Here are great investments.
The purchaser will have to pay well for such. These intelligent people know the value of what they have.
Situate on the main line of the Missouri Pacific railroad, about seven miles east of Pleasant Hill, is Strasburg.
The last government census gives its population at 350. It has very materially increased in business and population
since that time. It has a bank, well managed and in healthy condition, financially. There is a large trade, tributary
to the town and the merchants are doing well. A person can get his purchases as cheaply here as any place, and
is at home. Home merchants who keep the goods, demand, and should have the trade of the tributary territory. This
the Strasburg merchants get, for the reason they are fair in their dealings. The town rejoices in good school and
This place is equipped with a first class small town bank, backed by ample capital and well managed. The surrounding
country gives the town loyal support. The town has had a hard, uphill pull since its starting. West Line came into
existence with the advent of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas railway, for a time flourished and seemed to loose
Upon the building of the Kansas City and Southern railway, the town was given a new impetus and is now in prospering
condition. Here is a fine opening for persons seeking homes and investments, whether in the town or surrounding