History of Grant Township, Nodaway County,
From: The History of Nodaway County, Missouri
National Historical Company
St. Joseph, Mo.: 1882
Grant Township was made out of territory originally belonging to Washington and White Cloud Townships, but the
boundaries not being found on record, we take the following boundaries from the county map prepared by Messrs.
Morehouse and Sisson:
Grant Township is as well watered as any section of the county. The Platte River runs along the eastern border of the township for some distance. Long Creek flows nearly through the whole township from north to south, and empties into the Platte River near the southern boundary. One Hundred and Two touches the northeastern corner of the township where it is deflected slightly towards the west, but returns and entering the township flows through the entire extent. The land of the township is rather rolling, the inequalities increasing as we approach the streams. Belts of timber are found along the water courses, which increase in width as we go southward. It is estimated that about one eighth of the area of the township is timbered land, the usual varieties of timber in this latitude being found. Limestone and freestone are found in abundance along the streams, quarrymen taking out as large slabs of stone from the various quarries as can be handled. The soil is rich, and is well adapted to all the cereals and to the grasses.
Jack Brown located in Grant Township in 1841.
THE BEESWAX MARRIAGE.
Many amusing circumstances have happened in pioneer life that create a broad smile upon the faces of those who are surrounded by the wealth and refinements of modern society. The following incident occurred in Barnard in "ye olden time," and deserves a record in the chronicles of that historic city. Late one evening a couple came to 'Squire Korell and desired to know how much he would tax to marry them. The 'Squire replied that his charge would be two dollars and fifty cents. The man said he had no money, and wanted to know if the 'Squire would not trust them. The 'Squire replied that he never married people on time, but always received his fee in hand. The party then retired for consultation, and there followed a conference with significant whisperings and conversation in undertone. Soon the couple seemed to be reassured and approached the 'Squire and asked "if he would not take his fee in beeswax? The 'Squire replied that he would take beeswax at its market value. So the beeswax was brought in and weighed and found to be worth sixty cents. The 'Squire said there was not enough beeswax to marry them. Another conference ensued when the lady approached, and in very sweet, beseeching tones, said: "'Squire, will you not marry us as far as Me beeswax goes.?" The 'Squire gave a broad smile and consented, said he thought there was enough beeswax to stick them together. The ceremony proceeded, and soon the happy couple were made one and went on their way rejoicing.
This town was named in honor of J. F. Barnard, Superintendent of the Kansas City, St. Joseph & Council Bluffs
Railroad. The land on which the town is located was originally owned by J. C. McCandliss, A. J. Dearing, Samuel
Stonehocker and John McFarland. A town company was formed by A. P. Morehouse, John Strong, John McFarland, Samuel
Stonehocker and J. F. Barnard.
The grist mill at Barnard was built in the year 1869, by James C. McCandliss. There is an excellent dam thrown
across the One Hundred and Two River at this point, which utilizes the whole power of the river. The mill grinds
at all seasons of the year, and does most excellent work. It cost over $12,00o.
The first trustees of the town were: V. Krell, H. C. Annan, J. A. Forrest, Sr., J. W. Heath and Amos Baker.
Adams, E. D., blacksmith.
CHURCHES - PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
This church had a preliminary organization in the country, two miles west of Barnard, at a place called Salem. It was re-organized in the year 1870 at Barnard, by Elder Sherwood, of St. Joseph. The members at the time of the re-organization were as follows: J. C. McCandliss and wife, James Giffin and wife, Wm. Giffin, Samuel Stonehocker and wife, Mrs. S. McFarland, Mrs. C. C. Baker, Mr. C. House and wife, Albert Ulman and others. The following persons have been pastors of the church: Rev. E. B. Sherwood, Rev. Wm. Tisley, and Rev. D. B. Suther. The church edfice is valued at $1,500. The church has had no settled ministry for about a year.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Barnard was organized in the year 1871. The following are the names of the original members: John R. Phipps and wife, Martin Baker and wife, Newton Wilson and wife, James H. Brown and wife, Alfred Baker and wife, Amos Baker and wife, Mr. Bartlett and wife, Mrs. David Wilson and Miss Martha Wilson. During the first year services were held in the depot by Rev. Mr. Cowden. Services were' held afterward in the school house by Rev. A. K. Miller. Rev. Isaac Chivington, afterward put up the church, which is valued at $1,500. The following named persons have been pastors of the church: Rev. E. V. Roof, Rev. John Moorhead, Rev. Robert Devlin and Rev. Mr. Powers. There is a good Sabbath school, and the church is doing a good work. In the early history of the church there were some great revivals.
SECRET ORDERS - WHITE HALL LODGE, NO. 301, A. F. & A. M.
White Hall Lodge was organized August 8, 1868, at White Hall school house, about two miles and a half southeast of where Barnard is now located. It was afterward moved to Barnard. The present membership numbers thirty six. The names of the present officers are as follows: J. A. Jamersoix, W. M.; N. McCaskey, S. W.; J. H. Perry, J. W.; Smith George, Treasurer; L. Williams, Secretary; A. L. Williams, A. D.; J. B. Kildow, J. D.; J. H. Haughtaling, Senior Steward; A. J. Dearing, Junior Steward; Harvey Davis, Tyler. The lodge meets on or after the full moon each month.
NODAWAY VALLEY LODGE, NO. 48, (ENCAMPMENT), I. O. O. F.
This lodge received its organization July I, 1876. The names of its charter members are as follows: V. Korell, J. E. Follett, G. E. Smith, S. Hartsell, Henry Cady, James A. Forrest, Sr., John Montgomery and David Wilson. The present officers are: Samuel Phillips, W. C.; Jonas Thompson, V. C.; V. Korell, Chaplain; Jonas Thompson, R. S.; J. E. Follett, P. S.; John D. Montgomery, Treasurer. The lodge meets the third Friday in each month. The membership numbers twenty four.
BARNARD LODGE NO. 204, A. O. U. W.
The Barnard Lodge received its organization in September, 1880. The following persons were constituted charter
BARNARD LODGE NO. 282, I. O. O. F.
Barnard Lodge was organized June 7, 1873. The names of the charter members were as follows: James A. Forrest, Sen.; J. E. Follett, John Montgomery, Solomon Hartzell and V. Korell. The officers of the lodge are: John Reed, N. G.; Chas. Broderick, V. G.; John W. Porter, R. S.; J. P. Korell, P. S.; S. Philips, Treasurer. The lodge meets the first and third Saturday evenings of each month. The lodge owns its lodge room, and is prosperous. The present membership numbers fifty three.
DAUGHTERS OF REBECCA, OLIVE LODGE, NO. 24.
This Lodge received its organization August 15, 1876. The charter embers of the Lodge were as follows: S. Phillips
and wife, J. A. Forrest and wife, V. Korell and wife, J. E. Follett and wife, J. B. Thompson and wife, W. J. Thompson
and wife, R. S. Hartsell and wife, J. A. Forrest, Sen., and wife, John D. Montgomery, G. E. Smith and wife, David
Wilson and wife, and Henry Dorst and wife.
Originally there was a post office, a store and a few dwellings one mile south of the present site of Barnard. The place was known among the early settlers as Prairie Park. Subsequently the business went to other points, and the place was given up as a trade center.
Return to [ Nodaway County ] [ MO History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]