On November 7, 1871, we find the following petition and order of court organizing and defining the boundaries
of Hopkins Township:
"Now comes Samuel McFarland, et al., and files a petition in this court, praying, for an order of court to
divide Union Township, commencing at the south corner of section nineteen (19), in township sixty six (66), of
range thirty five (35); thence running due east on the section line to the east boundary of said township, the
north part of the organized township to be known and designated as Hopkins Township, in said county, and that the
south part be known as Union Township, in said county, and that the voting precinct in Hopkins Township be known
as Hopkins, all of which is maturely considered by the court, and ordered that the prayer of the petitioners be
granted, as requested in said petition; and it is further ordered by the court that the voting precinct in Union
Township be changed from Xeni to Pickering, in Union Township."
This township is well watered by the One Hundred and Two River and its branches and various affluents. The river
flows through the township a little west of the middle, and, in the northern portion of the township it is divided
into three branches, known as the Eastern, Middle and Western Forks. Beard's Creek flows into the One Hundred and
Two from the northeast, and quite a number of small creeks put in from the east and west. Nodaway Branch runs through
the southeastern corner of the township.
Several lakes lie along the valley in close proximity to the river, two of them being from one half to three fourths
of a mile in length. The face of the township is rather rolling in the northwestern part, while the southeastern
portion is more level. There is an abundance of limestone for building purposes, with some indications of coal.
The land is well adapted to agricultural purposes, and some of it is exceedingly fertile.
William Broyles was the first settler in the territory now belonging to Hopkins Township. He settled on the
east side of the Mowery Branch in White Oak Grove. The settlement was made in the year 1843. John Kimball settled
two or three years afterward in the forks of One Hundred and Two River, about a mile north of where Hopkins is
now situated. Washington Downing, the next settler, located two miles southeast of where Hopkins now stands. David
J. Wiet came next, and settled three miles southeast of where Hopkins is now situated. James Hinckle was the next
settler. He opened a claim two miles southeast of where Hopkins now stands, on a farm now belonging to G. W. Sturgeon.
Berry Miller and John Dunkin settled on the same place which now belongs to Jesse Crandle. Wm. Cook settled south
of Washington Downing and opened an adjoining farm. John Elliott took a claim and opened a farm in the same neighborhood,
but sold it to Wm. Tolliver. David Locke settled on a farm south of James Elliott. B. F. Rader located on the Mowery
Branch, three miles and a half east of the place where Hopkins is now situated. Charles Carson settled at the state
line at the northeast corner of the township. Henry Stine opened a claim a little west of Carson's on the line,
two miles northeast of the place where Hopkins now stands. Edwin Spencer and Mark Murphy settled on the state line
a little west of Stine's. Isaiah Wilcox opened a farm half a mile west of the present site of Hopkins on the banks
of the One Hundred and Two. Edwin Spencer and Isaiah Wilcox were sons of Nimrod, and almost secured their living
by fruits of the chase.
Jefferson Sturgeon settled about two miles south of where Hopkins now stands. West of Hopkins, two or three miles,
was the Cox settlement, beginning as early as 1850. Judge Morehouse, at an early date, settled about five miles
southwest of where Hopkins is now located, and Joseph Hall opened a farm in the same neighborhood. Homer Aldridge
and Augustus Aldridge located in the same neighborhood.
Hopkins is located one half mile east of East Fork of the One Hundred and Two River. It was partially laid out
in 1870 and completed in the spring of 1871. William Brady, of Jefferson Township, was the surveyor.
The first railroad car came to Hopkins December 12, 1870. The town was named in honor of A. L. Hopkins, who was
Superintendent of the Kansas City, St. Joseph & Council Bluffs Railroad when the town was located.
Hopkins was laid out by a company, which consisted of Roseberry & Morehouse, the Railroad Company, Col. Strong,
of St. Joseph, and S. McFarland.
It was incorporated October 21, 1872.
The first board of trustees was composed of W. W. Kennison, chairman, Judge E. Donlin, William H. Cochrane and
B. S. Martin. There was one vacancy.
The first edifice erected in Hopkins was a boarding house, which was built by Thos. Gladman.
Donlin & Bros. were the first business firm in Hopkins. They commenced business in 1871.
Porter, Girard & Hughes erected a drug store about the same time and commenced business.
Goodsell & Brothers had the first lumber yard.
Finch & Stone had an agricultural house about the same time. Soon after, Mr. Robison erected a building and
commenced selling dry goods.
Mr. Linville put up a building in the same block and went into the hardware trade.
Mr. Dobbins, a non resident, caused a building for a drug store to be erected in the same block, and Mr. Latcher
was put in charge of it. Mr. DeHaven also ran a restaurant in the same block.
Martin & Stewart also had a grocery store west of the railroad.
The block spoken of above was on the west side of the railroad, but the business, owing to the nearness of the
railroad and the liability of teams becoming frightened by passing trains, was transferred about this time to the
east side of the railroad.
Mr. Edward Wolfers, about this time, erected a brick building on the east side of the railroad and went into trade
in dry goods and groceries. Randolph & Goodsell put up a brick and commenced selling hardware and furniture.
C. Martin also opened a hardware store on the east side.
Mr. Riggs opened a grocery house, but afterward sold out and went to California.
In 1871, William R. Johnston built the Johnston House, on Roseberry Street, and commenced beeping hotel. About
the same time, Mr. Couch commenced building the Hopkins House, but soon sold out to David Bender, who continues
to keep the hotel. A little later Mr. Kinison put up the Central House, and kept it awhile, and sold out.
The first bank was started by Plants Brothers.
F. Gladman was the first settler in Hopkins.
Rev. Mr. Morton, as he was accustomed himself to say, in a humorous manner, "preached the first sermon, married
the first couple and traded the first horses in Hopkins." He afterward moved to Kansas.
A son of Mr. Merrick was the first child born in Hopkins, and the Town Company gave him a lot.
The first school was kept by Miss Emma Rose, from Michigan, and she taught an excellent school and gave universal
The first church was erected by the Methodists, the second by the Presbyterians, and the third by the United Brethren,
who afterward sold their building to the Baptists.
THE HOPKINS SCHOOLS.
That the citizens of Hopkins appreciate the value of good schools will be apparent to the most casual observer
who will take the pains to' inquire into the history of the growth and development of her educational interests.
In order that we may the better understand the educational spirit of her people, we will go back a few years for
the purpose of turning a few pages in the records. It is found upon inquiry, that before the City of Hopkins was
laid out, the residents of what is now the Hopkins Independent School District, had erected a building on the suburbs
of the now flourishing city. We are not advised as to the size of said house, but understand it was sufficiently
large for the purpose intended, and was well furnished - withal a comfortable school building - quite pretentious
for those days. I have been unable to ascertain the names of teachers until Miss Emma Rose, of Wisconsin, wielded
the birch, metaphysically speaking. I am informed that this was in 1871, and is remembered as a successful school.
After the City of Hopkins was laid out, the inhabitants feeling the need of a more commodious building, and desiring
to have it more centrally located, decided to move the house into the block north of the Tremont House. An addition
was built, thus making two rooms and necessitating the services of two teachers. Mr. A. W. Florea, of Adams County,
Ohio, and Miss Rose, were the teachers elected. The school was now, 1872, a fixed institution. Both teachers rendered
the best of satisfactions and the term was a very profitable one.
The beautiful young city grew amazingly, so that in the year 1873 the need of increased and better facilities was
felt to such an extent that it was determined to build a new house for educational purposes. A fine site was selected
in the eastern part of the city on what is now known as "Science Hill," from which a splendid view may
be had of the city and much of the surrounding country. The cost of grounds, building site, furniture, house, &c.,
was about $3,000. The rooms were well furnished with patent seats, blackboards and other necessary appliances,
so that everything augured well for a successful series of schools. Prof. Florea was elected Principal and Miss
Rose, assistant. The school was all that could be desired and long strides were taken in the educational field.
Mr. Florea was again made principal, but the public sustained a great loss in the person of Miss Rose, who is remembered
to this day as one of the most successful teachers ever in the Hopkins Schools. Her place was supplied by Miss
Ella Redmond, of Maryville, who, with Mr. Florea taught the next succeeding term. Both schools gave universal satisfaction.
I have not the exact number of pupils in attendance, at hand, but in 1874 there were upwards of 200, (estimated.)
I have now to deal with the Hopkins Independent School District which was organized and established under the new
law, on the 17th day of October, 1875, as appears from page 9, of the District Records, with plat of district annexed.
It will be observed, that under the new law there are required in independent Districts under the control of a
corporate administration, a board of education composed of six members. The Board at this time consisted of the
following named gentlemen, viz: Luther Stewart, President; Geo. H. Totaling, Secretary; John A. Stewart, Treasurer;
Harry Meyers, Philip Dale and S. W. Gerard. I have now reliable data at hand and find from an inspection of the
records that the Board were obliged td rent a room and to secure three teachers for the ensuing year. The Board
was peculiarly fortunate in securing the services of Prof. L. E. Wolf, of Atchison, Kansas, as principal. Misses
Anna Jackson and Kate Stewart were the assistant teachers. The school commenced October 4th, 1875, for a term of
five months and ended Feb. 6th, 1876. Prof. Wolf did all that was expected of him and the youth of the fair young
city made marked progress under his able instruction.
He is remembered by many of our best citizens as a courteous, affable gentleman, of splendid abilities, and as
a teacher he was thoroughly alive to his work. The number of persons in the district of school age, was, as appears
from the enumeration returns made May I, 1876, as follows: Males, white, 141; colored, z; total males, 143. Females,
white, 146. Total number of persons in the district between the ages of 5. and 21 years, 289. From the records
it is found that of this number there were in attendance at the several schools, males, white, 123; colored, I;
total males, 124. Females, white, 106. Total number attending the public schools of the city, 23o. Total number
days attendance of all children, 13,894. Average number days per child, 60.
Value of property owned by the district, including building and furniture, $3,419. In consequence of an election
a new board was organized September 13, 1876. S. W. Gerard, President; George H. Hotaling, Secretary; John A. Stewart,
Treasurer; Harry Meyers, Philip Dale and Luther Stewart.
The teachers this year were: Miss Mary J. Latschar, principal, and Misses Anna Jackson and Abbie Stewart, assistants.
Miss Kate Stewart succeeded Miss Jackson December 4, 1876.
From what has been ascertained it does not appear that the schools this year were quite so satisfactory as heretofore,
but nevertheless they were quite successful. The above mentioned term was of six months duration, commencing September
11, 1876, and closing March 9, 1877.
The records show that on the first day of May, 1877, there were in the district, of the requisite school age, males,
white, 151; colored, 1; total, 152. Females, white, 163; colored, i; total females, 164. Total number in the district
entitled to school privileges, 317.
Of this number there were attending school during tho year males, white, 110; colored, 1; total males, 111 Females,
white, 120; total, 231. Total number of days attendance of all childern, 15,362. Average number of days attendance
of each child, 66 1/2.
It is worthy of note that, during the year, the snug little sum of $800.00 was paid out for improvements. At this
time the value of school property owned by the district was $3,214.00. Rate per cent. levied for school purposes,
It will be seen by comparing the values of school property for the years 1876 and 1877, that the value of 1877
was $205.00 less titan in 1876.
How this could occur when $800.00 were expended in making improvements, does not seem to be very clear.
The above figures are taken from the district records for the years named, and if explanations are called for,
it would be well for the proper parties to respond. My solution of the problem - for problem it is - is the depreciation
By this time, many of the pupils had made that advancement in their studies that called for something beyond that
usually taught in the common schools. Accordingly, the board on June 4, 1877, ordered the following branches introduced,
viz: Algebra, U. S. History, Higher Arithmetic, Philosophy and Physiology. For sometime, the rooms had been filled
to overflowing, and, as has been remarked, a room had been rented for the use of the Primary Department.
But as this method was not productive of very satisfactory results, the question of building an addition to the
main building began to be freely discussed. Finally, the board, deeming it imperative that something should be
done in order to secure the requisite accommodations and to make them permanent, decided to build a suitable room
or rooms immediately adjoining the (then) present building. This conclusion was reached at a meeting of the board
on June 4, 1877. Plans and specifications having been previously furnished, the contract was let to Mr. M. H. Gladman,
of Hopkins, on the 18th of June, 1877 - he giving bond in the sum of $1,500.00, with M. H. Gladman, W. H. Jackson,
D. Creaklan, G. A. Dawes, A. V. Stewart, C. S. Martin, Henry Schmitt, James Ewing, Hiram Stanker, A. S. DeHaven,
L. Durant and W. H. Cochran, as securities.
The board appointed as a building committee P. Dale, Luther Stewart and John A. Stewart. As the main building needed
repairing, Mr. Gladman was awarded the contract of shingling the west side of same and repairing the belfry for
the sum of $55.00.
Upon canvassing the election returns it was found that a majority of twenty one taxpayers voted for an increase
of levy from four mills to ten mills, for school purposes, and the same was ordered as a basis of estimate for
the coming school year. It was also ascertained that over a two thirds majority of all voters was in favor of a
tax of five mills on the assessed valuation for building purposes, which was ordered, and the annual estimate made
and approved by the board. July 21st, S. H. Spencer was elected principal, and Misses Abbie Stewart, Alice George
and Minnie Whittington assistants. School opened September to, 1877, and closed March 8, 1878. Length of term six
The following figures show significant facts:
Number of children in the district of school age, May 1, 1878, males (white), 153; colored, 1. Total, 154. Females
(white), 172. Total number in the district, 326. Number of children attending school, males (white), 118; colored,
1. Females (white), 154. Total number in attendance, 263.
Total number days attendance of all scholars, 22,692. Average number days per child, 80. Rate per cent. levied
on valuation of property, $2.00. Value of property owned by district, $4,600.00. A period was now reached which
had never been attained before. The history of her schools shows them to be a grand success, if we except a few
shortcomings in the year 1876. The district had incurred heavy expense in constructing new buildings, fence, sidewalks,
etc. A course of study was adopted, another teacher employed more than before, and everything placed on a firm
footing. It was hoped that this would prove the most signally successful year of any, but the high hopes and anticipations
of the board and patrons were destined to fall most ingloriously. A want of harmony and united action, two essential
elements of success, were wanting, and on March 15, 1878, Mr. Spencer was requested to vacate his position by sending
in his resignation, which he did, and which was promptly accepted. Miss George also resigned at the same time.
Mr. A. W. Florea and Miss Belle Stewart were employed to complete the unexpired term, which was in the main very
successful. At the annual election of April 6, 1878, a new board was elected, viz: R. M. Simmons, President; E.
C. Wolfers, Secretary; Wash Downing, Treasurer; P. Dale. H. McCoy and H. C. Fleming. The new board was made up
of men of sterling character, who were determined to leave nothing undone that would tend to advance the educational
interests of the city to their old time prestige. The first thing that occupied their attention was the securing
of a competent corps of teachers.
June 28, 1878, Professor D. L. Chaney, of Lenox, Iowa, was elected principal, with R. H. Straub, Miss Ellen Ruttenbur
and Miss Maggie Evans, assistants. Upon Mr. Chaney assuming the principalship, he inspected the buildings and grounds,
and by his recommendation the black board surfaces were enlarged, so that all the available space in the rooms
was covered with liquid slating. This was a move in the right direction, as it gave the teacher increased facilities.
At his request a well was dug, and pump placed in it; also, a new sidewalk laid from the school house to connect
with the main walk leading to the city. Fences were repaired and other necessary minor improvements made. From
this time a new era dates in the history of the Hopkins Schools, as under the able direction of Professor Chaney,
they assumed that position in the educational world, which placed them, at that time, in the van of all the schools
in the county.
The revulsion of feeling from that of indifference as to the character of her schools, to that of a well defined
interest in their welfare, was slow, but sure, so that at the close of that year the Hopkins Schools ranked second
to none in Northwest Missouri. The High school was graced by the presence of quite a number of young men and ladies
from the country, who were seeking to "climb up higher." The term was of six months duration, and at
its termination Professor Chaney opened a select school, which was very successful.
March 19, 1879, the levy was raised from four tenths of one per cent. to one per cent, and on the 3d of April the
board reorganized, with R. M. Simmons, president; P. Dale, secretary, and Wash Downing, treasurer. Twenty five
hundred dollars of bonds had matured, and on the 22d of May the same amount of refunding bonds were issued to liquidate
the out standing matured bonds. Said refunding bonds were to bear six per centum per annum, and not to be discounted
more than one fourth per cent.
At the same time Prof. Chaney was granted the use of the building for six weeks to hold a Normal school, which
was a pronounced success from the start. Many teachers and many preparing to engage in the profession attended.
The enumeration of 1879 showed the number of males (white), 153 females (white), 170. Total number in the district,
323. Number attending schools, males, 125; females, 115. Total, 240. Total number of days attendance of all children,
21,210; average number of days attendance of each child, 88 1/2. The same good sense which had characterized the
retiring board attended their successors above named. Therefore, for the year 1879 they were prompt to again secure
Mr. Chaney as principal, Mr. H. W. Hull, of Hopkins, succeeded Mr. Straub in the grammar department, Miss Flora
Maxwell, of Clarinda, Iowa, succeeded Miss Ruttenbur, and Miss Evans was re-elected. It was felt all along that
the term of six months was entirely too short, and in order to increase it a proposition was submitted and carried
on the 22d of April to increase the levy sixty cents on the one hundred dollars. The school of that year was much
like that of the preceding year as to results, unless there was increased confidence felt in teachers and board.
Prof. Chaney was again re-elected principal, with Mr. George E. Flemming, of Oberlin, Ohio, teacher in grammar
school, Miss Maxwell again held sway in the second intermediate department, and Miss Evans was retained in the
primary department. Owing to ill health, Miss Maxwell resigned her position December 13, 1880. On January 3, 1881,
Mrs. R. H. Shadritk, of Kansas City, was named as her successor. For this year the schools were not only the pride
of Hopkins and the county, but they had attained that position in the educational world entitling them to be ranked
second to none. A great work was done during the year, many non resident pupils attended, most of whom pursued
a course in the higher branches; not a few of them were teachers, some coming from adjoining counties. At the close
of the spring term in June, the pupils and teachers met in their respective rooms, and at about 9:30 A. M. repaired
to Kennedy's Park, which lies in the northwest suburbs of the city, marching down the western hillside through
the streets of the city, and thence to the park, being preceded by the Hopkins Cornet Band, which furnished excellent
music for the occasion. In the afternoon many of the prominent business men of the city lent their presence, closing
their respective places of business for that purpose. This little incident is mentioned to show that a deep interest
was felt by the patrons.
In April, 1881, F. A. Buck and Jacob Speidel were elected members of the board to succeed H. C. Fleming and Wash
Downing. The board organized with it M. Simmons, president; F. A. Buck, secretary, and P. Dale, treasurer. The
tax was increased twenty cents on the one hundred dollars, and the term was increased from four to nine months,
by reason of a proposition having been submitted and carried to that effect. The returns for 1880 show the number
of children to be, males, 167; females, 188. Total, 355. The records do not show the number in attendance, but
the teachers' reports at one time gave the number in attendance as being 297, which undoubtedly is correct.
At the regular meeting of the board, held in Dale & Jeffers' office, June 7, 188t, the following described
bonds were canceled and burned in the presence of R. M. Simmons, P. Dale, E. C. Wolfers, H. McCoy, Jacob Speidel
and F. A. Buck, members of the board, and T. W. Porter and H. C. Fleming, witnesses, viz.:
Bond No. 1, of five hundred ($500) dollars, dated July 1, 1873, and due July 1, 1878.
Bond No. 4, of five hundred ($500) dollars, dated July 1, 1873, and due July 1, 1878.
Bond No. 5, of five hundred ($500) dollars, dated July 1, 1873, and due July 1, 1878.
More room being required, the furnishing committee contracted for the Austin building for school purposes. For
the year 1882, the following named teachers were employed: Prof. D. L. Chaney, Principal; George E. Flemming, Grammar
School; Miss M. Ellie Dale, First Intermediate Department; Miss Maggie Evans, Second Intermediate Department; and
Miss Ella A. Glass, Primary Department.
The number of persons of school age in the district May 1st, as gleaned from the returns found in the records,
was, in round numbers, 424. The number in attendance, average attendance, for the year 1881, cannot be furnished,
as they, the returns, will not be completed until May, 1882. That the schools will be fully up to the prescribed
standard of excellence during the year 1881, there is no reason to doubt.
To conclude with, Hopkins has an able and efficient corps of teachers and appreciative students, and that the high
position she now holds may be maintained in the future is the wish of the citizens of the beautiful young city
and of the public in general.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
The Methodist Episcopal Circuit of Hopkins was organized in 18-. The names of the original members were as follows:
Samuel McFarland and wife, Speidel and family, T. M. Cole and wife, John Townsand and wife, Rev. Jesse Herbert
and family, J. B. Townsand and wife, E. V. Willard and family, John Lytle and family, Robert Hook and wife, N.
H. Herbert and wife, and Margaret Boatman.
The church has been supplied by the following pastors: William Early, 1871-2; E. V. Roof, 1873-4-5; Isaac Chivington,
1876; Robert Devlin, 1877-78, and John Moorhead, the present pastor.
The church, 32x50, was erected in 1872, at a cost of $2,000.
The present membership is about sixty. In the Sabbath School there are 125 on the roll, and an average attendance
of seventy five. Mr. Moorhead has three other regular classes outside of Hopkins, and spends half his time in supplying
them. The present church edifice is worth about $2,500. The church has had some revivals, and is in a fair condition.
Mr. Moorhead is now finishing his third year in Hopkins.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
During the early growth of Hopkins there arrived, from the east and north, a number of families, who had been
reared in Presbyterian and Congregational Churches. These, for a time, worshipped with the Methodists, who early
held services and erected a house of worihip in the village. As their number increased, it was thought best to
organize themselves into a church for the purpose of securing services after their own order.
With this object in view, Rev. E. B. Sherwood, of St. Joseph, Missionary of the Presbytery of Platte, having been
informed of these facts, wrote desiring to know if it was their wish that he should visit the place, and if the
way was clear, to organize a church. Receiving an affirmative reply, he came to Hopkins, and two days were spent
in canvassing the town, and obtaining the names of those who desired an organization. On the first Sabbath day
of May, 1873, the sacrament of the Lord's Supper was administered according to the Presbyterian form, and notice
was given that on Saturday, May 31st, those who desired to enter into covenant relations should meet to present
their letters or be examined preparatory to a public profession of their faith. On Friday, May 30th, Mr. Sherwood
again visited Hopkins, and on that evening a prayer meeting was held, and on Saturday the meeting previously announced
took place. There were present Rev. E. B. Sherwood, assisted by Elders George H. Hotaling, of Bedford, Iowa, and
John M. Bell, of Maryville.
At that meeting the following persons presented letters which, being found in order, were received: George H. Hotaling
and Mrs. Mildred Hotaling, Wm. K. Adams and Mrs. Mary Adams, Mrs. Clarissa Bradley, Mrs. Jennie Heald, Mrs. Martha
A. Walters, John W. Walker, Mrs. Mary E. Martin, Henry P. Dryden and Mrs. Sarah L. Dryden, David L. Latschar, Mrs.
Sarah Bender, Mrs. Mary Green. Mr. Mark B. Bradley was examined and received on profession of faith.
On Sunday, June I, 1873, the organization of the First Presbyterian Church of Hopkins was consummated. At this
time George H. Hotaling and William K. Adams were elected ruling elders, and David L. Latschar and H. P. Dryden,
deacons. From the time of its organization till January, 1874, Rev. E. B. Sherwood continued to act as stated supply.
During this period bimonthly services were held in the M. E. Church. It being thought that the work could be more
effectively performed, Union Hall was secured as a place of worship, and was so occupied until the completion of
their first house of worship, which was entered and used for the first time on the first Sabbath of January, 1876.
From the close of Mr. Sherwood's services until April, 1874, the church was without a pastor. During this time,
however, regular services were maintained, a sermon being read every Sabbath by Elder W. K. Adams.
At this time the services of Rev. A. D. Workman, of Maryville, were secured, and he continued to preach twice each
month till, on the first Sabbath of July, Rev. W. H. lisley entered upon his work.
During the spring of 1875, a subscription paper was circulated with a view to the erection of a church building,
and a sufficient amount was raised to warrant the commencement of the work. The foundation of a house, 28x50 feet,
was laid, but owing to the stringency of the times and the visitation of the grasshoppers, the work was delayed
for a time. It was not resumed till the next fall, when it was taken up, and the building completed and furnished,
at a cost of $2,400, $700 of which was received from the Board of Church Erection. The plan of the house was drawn
by George H. Hotaling, one of the elders, and the house was built by Mr. L. D. Eversole, a member of the church.
The church has a good Sabbath School and a fair Sabbath School library. The church is now in a good condition,
and has done a good work in Hopkins and vicinity.
Rev. William C. Smith has been engaged to supply the church for six months, and enters upon his work with every
prospect of success.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH.
The First Baptist Church, of Hopkins, was organized on Saturday before the 3d Sabbath in May, 1877. The names
of original members were, Geo. W. Sturgeon, Margaret Sturgeon, Obadiah Sturgeon, Julia Ann Sturgeon, Jeptha Sturgeon,
Lucinda Sturgeon, Marion Sturgeon, Josephine Sturgeon, John M. Sturgeon, Thomas R. Sturgeon, Margareta Sturgeon,
Martha A. Downing, E. B. Yeomans, Sarah J. Yeomans, Jesse Godsey, E. S. Godsey, Elizabeth Godsey, John W. Jones
and Nancy Jones. The church was bought from U. B. Brethern at $400.00, and is a frame building. It was dedicated
by Brother H. J. Latour. Names of pastors: First, Joseph Yates; second, H. J. Latour; A. M. Wallace, pastor at
this time. Number of present membership, 40.
The church had not been recognized by brethren from sister churches until the April meeting, 1879. The church holds
her membership with the Northwestern Association at this time.
XENIA LODGE, NO. 50, A. F. & A. M.
Xenia Lodge commenced work under a dispensation granted by the Grand Lodge of Missouri at its 45th Grand Communication,
in October, 1865. The dispensation was dated October 16th, 1865, and signed by John D. Vincil, Grand Master of
The officers named in it were, N. Goslee, W. M.; E. Van Buren, S. W. and. Washington Downing, J. W.
The organization was designated as Xenia Lodge,' but at the next annual communication of the Grand Lodge the dispensation
was surrendered and a charter ordered, at which time the Lodge was designated by the name of Xenia, and the No.
50 affixed by the Grand Secretary. The charter was dated June 2d, 1866, and signed by John D. Vincil, Grand Master,
and four other grand officers.
Xenia Lodge, at its organization, was the third lodge in the county, and its jurisdiction extended north, east
and west about twelve miles. Though its membership was small, yet in infancy it took due caution to select the
best men for its followers, and thereby grew and prospered until May 27, 1871, when it was thought best by a majority
of its members to erect a new hall, and at its completion, June 2, 1871, the Grand Master of Missouri granted it
permission to move to its new hall at Hopkins, Missouri, it being within its present local jurisdiction, and June
24, 1871, Xenia Lodge No. 50 was removed from Xenia to its new hall, and the hall dedicated in due and ancient
form, Brother Ephraim Myers, D. D. G. M., acting as grand master on the occasion. The present membership numbers
sixty. The present officers are as follows:
John Donlin, W. M.; J. S. Anderson, S. W.; C. Mooter, J. W.; T. W. Porter, Treasurer; H. M. Austin, Secretary;
E. B. Yeoman, S. D.; W. H. Cochrane, J. D.; A. Watson, S. S.; H. Caudle, J. S.; M. A. Hamm, Tyler.
The lodge meets the first Saturday of each month. The lodge owns a fine hall, and has between $400 and $500 surplus
in the treasury. The following is a list of its Past Masters: N. Goslee, G. W. Pistole, John Donlin, A. C. Kennedy,
H. McCoy, R. Terrill.
HOPKINS LODGE NO. 333, 1. O. O. F.
This lodge was organized April 7, 1875, and the charter granted May 20, 1875. The following are the names of
its charter members:
J. L. Anderson, G. W. Wilcox, J. A. Worth, H. Lowery, J. M. Pierce, E. A. Bugbee, M. S. Arnold, Cyrus White, Harvey
Moorehouse, Stanton Hook, William Herbert, C. Green, W. H. Sutherland, H. C. Fleming, J. F. Randolph.
The following are the names of its first officers: J. L. Anderson, N. G.; H. Lowery, V. G.; J. A. Worth, R.
S.; G. W. Wilcox, Treasurer; J. M. Pierce, P. S.; N. S. Arnold, Conductor; H. C. Fleming, Warden; S. Hook, R. S.
N. G.; H. Sutherland, L. S. N. G.; C. White, L. S. N. G.; C. E. Green, I. G.; H. Moorehouse, O. G.; William M.
Herbert, R. S. S.
The present membership numbers fifty two. The lodge is growing, having gained twelve members the past year, and
is in good condition.
The following are the names of Past Grands up to the present time; A. W. Wilcox, H. Lowery, P. Dale, J. L. Anderson,
J. D. Randolph, W. G. Sutherland, H. M. Austin, R. P. Johnson, G. T. Tibbetts and M. H. Gladman.
The Odd Fellows' Hall Association, composed of members of the order exclusively, are erecting a fine hall on Barnard
Street, in the brick block over E. C. Wolfer's grocery store to be used for lodge purposes. The cost will be about
HOPKINS LODGE OF ANCIENT ORDER OF UNITED WORKMEN.
This lodge was organized August 1, 1879, with the following charter members: H. Lowery, J. A. Stewart, A. S.
DeHaven, M. E. Byers, John Donlin, A. F. Malott, Wm. Hughes, A. Watson, E. F. Gaynor, J. W. Waddill and P. Dale.
The present membership numbers twenty one. The lodge is in a prosperous condition. It meets the first and third
Wednesday nights of.each month.
HOPKINS LODGE I. O. G. T., NO. 410.
This lodge was organized November 16, 1880, with about seventy charter members. The present membership number
seventy four. The lodge is in good condition and has done a good work in the temperance cause in Hopkins and vicinity.
Many men will look back to this lodge as having rescued them from a drunkard's grave. The following are the names
of its first officers: P. Dale, W. C. T.; Eva Johnson, W. V. T.; E. Griffin, Chaplain; Mrs. S. DeHaven, Secretary;
S. K. Ray, Financial Secretary; E. C. Wolfers, Treasurer; Levi Grate, Marshal; R. Boatman, I. G.; Frank Drumm,
O. G.; J. F. Randolph, P. W. C. T.; H. M. Austin, L. D.
BANK OF HOPKINS,
was organized in 1873, by Goodsill Brothers and F. Dunning. They carried on the business until 1877, when a
joint stock company was formed, with Alexander Goodsill as president and Edward Donlin cashier. In July, 1877,
W. Dunning became president, which position he still holds. J. C. Powell superceded Donlin as cashier in July,
1877, and in January, 1880, he was superceded by C. W. Taylor, who fills the position now (1881). The bank has
a capital of $15,000, with a surplus of $5,000. Although a stock company, it is not an incorporated bank. The stockholders
are large real estate owners.
The Hopkins Town Company was incorporated on the 31st of December, 1870. The stock of the company was placed at
$18,000, the names of the corporators and the amounts of their respective holdings being as follows: A. L. Hopkins,
$6,000; Samuel McFarland, $3,000; Albert P. Morehouse, $3,00o; Matthew G. Roseberry, $3,000; James W. Strong, $3,000.
Mr. McFarland was the first and only president, and Mr. Moorehouse the first secretary. The stock is now practically
all held by Mr. McFarland, and Mr. Alex Grant, the present secretary.
HOPKINS CORNET BAND.
The first band was organized in February, 1874, with the players mentioned below: Leader, J. F. Randolph, first
Ebb cornet; Harry Myers, second Eb cornet; C. F. Markley, first Bb cornet; C. Riggs, second Bb cornet; Dr. Wm.
Hughes, first alto; H. Sutherland, second alto; C. S. Martin, tenor; John Donlin, baritone; Ham McCoy, tuba; A.
S. Bender, snare drum; Jacob Lovden, bass drum and cymbals. This band became one of the best in the west, and sent
out one of the best cornet players in the United States - Charles Riggs. He has been traveling some three years,
and is now in California.
In 1878, all the members except four withdrew, and a new band was organized - the present one - with the following
members: Leader, C. F. Markley, solo Bb cornet; Harry Myers, first Ebb cornet; Frank Dunn, second Ebb cornet; J.
C. Stewart, second Bb cornet; L. G. New, first alto; W. Moorehead, second alto; S. K. Wray, third alto; A. J. Roof,
tenor; George Shaw, baritone; Jacob Lovden, tuba; Frank New, snare drum; George Ewing, bass drum and cymbals.
Austin, H. M., restaurant.
Bender & Sutherland, Hopkins House.
Blair, James A., stock yard and stock dealer.
Blain, J. A., stock dealer.
Brainard, Mr., feed stable.
Bram, William, insurance agent.
Buck, F. A., artist.
Bush, F. D., stock yards.
Burch, E. M., stock dealer.
Crinklaw, D., agricultural implements.
Cochrum, W. H., house painter.
Chaney, D. L., county superintendent of schools and principal of schools.
Donlin, Ed., insurance agent.
Donlin Bros., general merchandise.
Dale, P., county judge, lumber.
Downing, W., president bank.
Derrickson, David, barber.
Dawes, G. A., physician.
Dale, Fred., city clerk.
Downing, W., stock yards.
Frayne & Jeffers, hardware and furniture.
Frazier, Chas., house painter.
Gladman, N. H., insurance agent.
Goodsill Bros., lumber.
Gerard, S. W., druggist and physician.
Goodson, P. D., physician.
Gladman, M. H., contractor and builder.
Grant, Alexander, attorney at law.
Grant, Alexander, superintendent rock quarry.
Herbert & Somers, groceries.
Hawkins, Mrs. S. S., millinery.
Hepburn, Thomas, harness maker.
Hansley, Harry, shoemaker.
Hughes, W. C., physician.
Hamm, M. A., livery.
House & Blain, livery.
Hicks, H., grain merchant.
Herbert, C. H., house plasterer.
Johnson, R. P., general merchandise.
Jackson Bros., mills.
Knox, Mrs., Tremont House.
Kennedy, A. C., depot agent.
Lowery, Harmon, druggist.
Lucas, A. G., editor Hopkins Journal.
Luse, Riley, jewelry.
Lytle, George, stock dealer.
Markley, C. F., leader Hopkins brass band.
McCasham, John, carpenter.
McCoy, H., stock dealer.
Martin, C. S., hardware and furniture.
Monroe, A. C., groceries.
McIntyre, Chas., restaurant.
Moorehead, Rev. John, pastor M. E. Church.
McFarland, Samuel, president Hopkins Town Company.
Malott, D., 1 lacksmith.
McCashum, Mrs. John., millinery.
Nixon, John, grain merchant.
Norman, W. P., jeweler.
Nurry, Jer., blacksmith.
Olmstead, Mrs. J. W., millinery.
Olmstead, John W., sewing machine agent.
Porter, T. W., postmaster, books and stationery.
Pennington, George, tinner.
Pierce, J. N., editor Hopkins Journal.
Pennington, J. R., wagon maker.
Randolph, J. F. & Co., hardware, furniture and undertakers.
Roper, Harry P., shoemaker.
Rusing, William, barber.
Somers, E. W., attorney at law.
Strawn, N., blacksmith.
Sargent, D. A., physician.
Stouder, Son & Co., general merchandise.
Shackelford, Swain & Co., clothing.
Slanker, H., meat market.
Strain, Josiah, mayor.
Stewart, Mrs. L., millinery.
Steward, A. V., wagon maker.
Stewart, John A., harness maker.
Taylor, C. W., clothing.
Worley, George, city express.
Wolfers, E. C., general merchandise.
Watson & Wray, agricultural implements.
Woodridge, B., clothing.
Wilfley, R. H., city attorney.
Welch, B. J. & Co., grain merchants.
Welch, B. J., elevator.
Wilcox, George W., contractor and builder.
Wooldridge, -, stock dealer.
Young, W. H., groceries.
Yourkman, J. H., carpenter.