History of Nodaway Township, Nodaway County, Missouri
From: The History of Nodaway County, Missouri
National Historical Company
St. Joseph, Mo.: 1882


Nodaway Township is bounded on the north by Atchison and Union Townships, on the east by Union and Polk Townships, on the south by Polk and Green Townships, and on the west by Green and Lincoln Townships.

On March 29, 1871, occurred the following order of court, establishing and defining the boundaries of Nodaway Township:

Ordered, That a new municipal township be established and located out of Green and Atchison Townships, commencing at the Nodaway River at a point where the township line dividing townships 66 and 65 crosses the said Nodaway River, thence east on said line to the northeast corner of township 65, range 36, thence running south three miles, thence running west four miles, thence running south three miles to the township line between township 64 and 65, thence running west on said line to the Nodaway River, thence north with the meanderings of said river to the place of beginning; and it is further ordered by the court, that the voting precinct be designated at the C. W. Hardesty residence, in said township.

Subsequently a strip of the east end of Nodaway Township, two miles from east to west and three miles from north to south, was taken off from territory originally belonging to Nodaway and attached to Union Township.


Nodaway Township lies in the eastern portion of the Nodaway Valley, and rises gently from the river eastward. The southern portion of the township slopes a little toward the south, and a divide or watershed runs clear through the northern portion of the township from east to west. Muddy Creek, Kihoga Creek and Carken Branch empty into the Nodaway River from the east, Sand Creek and Florida Creek had in the southern portion of the township, and the southern branch of Clear Creek finds a part of its sources in the northeastern portion of the township. Along the Nodaway River, in Nodaway Township, are found several lakes, some of them being old beds of the river, and others arising from depressions in the land. In the eastern portion of the township there is a watershed dividing the waters of Clear Creek from those of Sand Creek. The sources of these two water courses approach within forty rods of each other.

There is considerable timber in the north and northeastern portions of the township, and also. along the Nodaway River. Some stone quarries are found along the Nodaway. The land in the western and southern portions of the township is gently rolling, and is counted among the best in the county, while the land in the northern and northeastern portion of the township is considerably rolling, and in places might be termed rough.


Among the earliest pioneers in Nodaway Township was Levi Martin, who came in 1842, and entered the claim on which Burlington Junction now stands. In the same year, John Shepherd settled on an adjoining farm, a little south of him, just across the branch. Jesse Roberts, Mr. Thomas and his son, John Thomas, took claims about a mile west, and a little south of Mr, Martin's. Joseph Hough, at a very early day, entered the claim at Corkin's Spring, and John Clark, father of W. Clark, bought out his interests in March, 1849.


In 1856, Mr. J. H. Ware, Sr., came from Chillicothe, Ohio, and took a claim near Burlington Junction. Mr. Ware was formerly prosecuting attorney of Ross County, Ohio. Col. John Davis came soon after and bought out the claim of Levi Martin. He afterward sold his farm and went to Kansas. Thomas Corkin took a claim in 1862 about two miles northwest of where Burlington Junction now stands. Shadrick Cole and his son in law, Wm. H. Franklin, took claims two miles south of Burlington Junction. About that time Shadrick Cole took a claim two miles south and a little west of them, near the Nodaway River. Austin Jones and Wm. B. Sunderland settled half a mile northwest of where Burlington Junction now stands, near each other. Thomas Fields, Mr. Sunderland's son in law, settled on Jones' land and lives there still. Wm. Jones, the father of Austin Jones, a man who is well remembered for his amiability, spent his time between Nodaway County and Atchison County. He died about sixteen years ago, and was buried in the cemetery near Burlington Junction. James Mitchel settled near Austin Jones, one mile north of Burlington Junction. Dr. Myers came nearly at the some time, and took a claim in the Nodaway River Valley. He still lives in Burlington Junction. Soon afterward came George Wilson, and took a claim two miles north of Burlington Junction, on the lowest terrace of the river. Jesse Walker built a residence one half mile south of Burlington Junction, his farm adjoining the town. There were some forty families in the Ohio settlement, who came from the middle southern portion of Ohio. The Ohio settlement was composed of men who possessed thrift and energy, and they opened and improved some of the finest farms in Nodaway County. Ohio farmers have always been characterized by intelligence and enterprise, and this settlement did not lose any of these characteristics in settling in the Nodaway Valley. Many of their farms are still under a high state of cultivation, and their houses, fences, orchards, farm implements, and live stock all indicate that they have kept abreast of the improvements of the age.


Levi Martin, 1842.
Mr. Thomas, 1842.
James Roberts, 1842.
Joseph Hough, 1842.
Hendricks Lee, 1842.
James Pickerel, 1842.
Samuel Bowman, 1842.
John Clark, 1849.
Thomas Carkin, 1862.
Wm. H. Franklin.
Wm. B. Sunderland.
William Jones.
George Wilson.
Jonathan Shepherd, 1842
Jesse Roberts, 1842.
John Johnson, 1842.
Hiram Lee, 1842.
Elijah Bunten, 1842.
Joseph Bowman, 1842.
William Smith, 1844
J. H. Ware, Sr., 1856.
Shadrick Cole.
Austin Jones.
Thomas Fields.
Dr. Myers.
Jesse Walker.


When the Wabash Railroad was built through the county in 1879, the people predicted that a town would grow up in the Nodaway Valley at some point where the railroad crossed it. Acting under this impression, a town was laid out one half a mile east of the Nodaway River, at the crossing of the old survey of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad with the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad. This town was first called Lewiston, for President Lewis, of the Wabash Road. It was afterward changed to Cleveland by the people of the Ohio colony, because there was another Lewiston in Missouri, and they could not secure another post office with the same name. Cleveland grew rapidly until it contained about forty buildings. But when the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad made a final survey, they crossed the Wabash one half a mile east of this point, on the farm of Colonel Davis, and at this point there grew up the town of Burlington Junction.

In 1842, Levi Martin entered a claim and settled on the land on which Burlington Junction now stands. He lived there about eighteen years, engaged in agricultural pursuits, and then sold out to Colonel John Davis, whose son, William H. Davis, still lives on a part of the same claim. When Colonel Davis emigrated to Chelsea, Butler County, Kansas, he sold his farm to his son, William H. Davis, and his son in law, Edwin Caldwell. Davis and Caldwell, October 20, 1879, sold their interests to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Town Company, composed of the railroad company, William H. Davis and Charles Caldwell, who surveyed and platted the town July 1, 1879. The first lots were sold July 3, 1879.

The first firm doing business in the town was George H. Hotaling & Co. They were lumber dealers.

Clarence Andrews, son of James Andrews, of Maryville, hauled the first load of lumber from Maryville to Burlington Junction.

Wheeler Brothers erected the first business house, commencing it. July 5, 1879, and July 24, 1879, sold the first goods in the town.

The next building was erected by D. Bailey, who opened a restaurant.

The next building was put up by Logan & Messick for general merchandise. They sold their first goods in Burlington Junction July 27, 1879.

Albert Gregory's hardware store was erected next, and G. Hubbell's furniture store was completed soon afterward.

Two drug stores were built about this time, by S. J. Butcher & Co. and J. N. Penn & Son.

After this, numerous other buildings were put up with such rapidity, that on January 1, 1879, there were over one hundred buildings erected or in process of construction.

The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad opened the first railroad office in Burlington Junction,' October 9, 1879. The first train came in on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, October 20th 1879. A car load of grain was shipped October 22, 1879, and shipments followed rapidly, business being very active.

Burlington Junction, located at the junction of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and the Kansas City and Nodaway Valley Railroads, and at their crossing of the main line of the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railroad, also near the junction of the Clarinda Branch with the main line of the Wabash, possesses very fine railroad facilities. The town is located on a fine roll of land which gives the observer a most beautiful prospect. The Nodaway Valley sweeps down from the north unfolding its rich alluvial lands beneath one's feet, and the Nodaway River meanders through the valley fringed with trees on either side, which, at the present writing, display those rich autumnal hues characteristic of American forests, for which they are so justly celebrated. The river bluffs play an important part in the economy of nature, and exert a powerful influence upon the people dwelling on the great central plains of the North American continent. Nature exerts a molding influence on any people, and those peoples living on hilly and mountainous districts have always developed the highest and best traits in man. The fine arts found their home in Greece, and the Canton sprang up amidst the Alps. The river bluffs are the opposing forces which nature places in these central plains to lift man above a dead level - to develop within him a love of the beautiful in nature, and to quicken the highest and best aspirations of his being.

Among the rivers of Missouri, the Nodaway - the Indian term for placid - has justly been celebrated for its bluffs, its rich pastoral lands, and its noble forests. And perhaps no town situated in the Nodaway Valley has more picturesque scenery than Burlington Junction. It has been justly admired by every traveler, and the image remains in the mind long after the view has disappeared from the vision.

The first marriage in Burlington Junction occurred May 17, 1880, when Mr. A. J. Smith and Miss Hester Saffell were united in bonds of wedlock by 'Squire Harris. Twins, a boy and girl, were born to Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Wilcox, August 31, 1879, the first birth that occurred in Burlington Junction. The first death was that of Martin Edward Hogan, local editor of the Burlington Junction Post, who was shot by Otto Sharp, October 9, 1879. He died twelve hours after he was shot. Hogan was a deputy constable, and was shot while arresting Sharp. Hogan was originally from Terre Haute, Indiana. The circumstances of this sad affair are given elsewhere in this book, under the head of the "Hogan Homicide and Otto Sharp Trial."

The bridge west of Burlington Junction, across the Nodaway River, is built of the best of oak, and is 211 feet long. It was erected at a cost of $2,000, and has proved to be of great benefit to the merchants of Burlington Junction.

Burlington Junction is situated in one of the richest and most fertile valleys in the State, and in population, railroad connections, business interests, healthfulness and beauty of situation, it offers attractions to be considered by all immigrants, who are seeking new homes in the Nodaway Valley.

The town was incorporated December 16, 1879.


Trustees 1879-'80 - G. H. Logan, Chairman; Thomas Neighbors, Secretary; James F. Anderson, Treasurer; G. Hubbell, - Gibson. A. B. Montgomery, Marshal.
Trustees 1881 - D. H. Rockwell, Chairman; Edward E. Gittings, Daniel Heald, George Hunt, J. C. Morrison.
John H. Ware, Jr., Treasurer.
William Chambers, Secretary.
J. W. Knight, Marshal.


Anderson, Joseph T., livery.
Bollinger, A. S., brickmolder.
Boulware, W. I., Merchants' Hotel.
Bramlett & Costlow, hardware.
Bryant & Charles, publishers Weekly Post.
Burgan, groceries.
Burk, J. F., druggists.
Burchfield, W. P., Nebraska House.
Burdick, W. A., attorney at law.
Buck & Shaw, barbers.
Carlisle, A., blacksmith and wagon maker.
Carr, Frank, sewing machines.
Chrissinger, I. B., book and news stand, City Hotel.
Corken, J. D., barber.
Cowley, J. W., shoemaker.
Curnutt, C. C., Travelers Hotel.
Danner, Putnam, flour exchange.
Dorr, S., grain merchant.
Dunlavy, W. L., dentist.
Duffy, D. P., attorney at law.
Durnall, James, bakery.
Dyche & Ring, general merchandise.
Evans, Dr. James, physician.
Faris, M. S. & Bro., dry goods.
Fitzhugh, J. W., tinner.
Gallager, Hugh, saloon.
Gay, W. R., attorney at law.
Gardner & Blakesley, meat market.
Gillett & Son, blacksmiths and wagon makers.
Girard, Butcher & Co., druggists.
Gittings & Neighbors, lumber.
Gregory, A., hardware.
Gregory, Mrs. J. F., milliner.
Greenawalt, W. A., Natley House.
Hendricks, H. A., carpenter.
Herriff & Son, brickmolders.
Heald, D., jeweler.
Hinze, L. C., carpenter.
Hotaling, George H. & Co., lumber.
Hubbard, W. O., carpenter.
Hughes & Thomas, photographers.
Hull, A., boots and shoes.
Hunt & Blakesley, meat market.
Humphrey, Mrs., dress maker.
Hunt, T. J. & Co., groceries.
Jayne, J. M., attorney at law.
Jones Bros., livery.
Kendig, S. C., photographer.
Logan, G. H., general merchandise.
May, G. W., physician.
McReynolds, J. E., blacksmith and wagon maker.
McIntosh, A. J., house mover.
Mathews, J. C., restaurant.
Mitchell, J. C., saloon.
Montgomery & Jones, general merchandise.
Mounts, G. W., harness maker.
Myers, D. C., druggist and physician.
Moore, L. D., carpenter.
Neighbors, C. C., painter.
Neighbors; Miss Eva, dressmaker.
Parker, dry goods and clothing.
Parrish, Miss Ella, dressmaker.
Pierce, J. W., carpenter.
Rocheford, G. B., sewing machines.
Rocheford, Mrs. G. B., milliner.
Rundle, Mrs. Kate, milliner.
Schmander, J., shoemaker.
Siefke, Mrs. L. A., furniture.
Siefke, John, livery.
Siefke, L. A., sewing machines.
Simpson, J. H., painter.
Smith, J. W., groceries.
Spear, Charles W., grain dealer.
Stone, Miss Eva, dressmaker.
Stone, J. R., harness maker.
Smith, A. J., bakery.
Stroud, J. T., photographer.
Tessier, L., clothing and gents' furnishing goods.
Ware, John, president Commercial Bank.
Wabash Hotel.
Wheeler, Andrew, general merchandise.
Woodard, Mrs. J. B., milliner.


This church was first organized in the spring of 1861, with C. H. Lavis and family, Thomas Casken and family, Miss Hetten Westfall (who is now the wife of Samuel Casken), and Mrs. Hopsinger as the original members. The services were held in alog school house located in section to, one mile northeast of the present location of Burlington Junction, till the erection of the present church building, in 1876. Before the organization of this church, services were held at intervals at different houses, by Revs. John R. Chamberlain and Buren. Since the organization the following ministers have officiated: Revs. Clemmons, Beggs, Morehead, Brookman, Hacket, Bishop, Cauley, Shelley, Canden, Shivington and Edmond, the present pastor. The church building is a frame structure, which cost $2,500, and was dedicated in 1876, by Rev. Benjamin St. James Fery, of St. Louis. Present membership, 108 members.


The organization of this church occurred April 1, 1880. At the time of the organization there were between fifty and sixty members. Father Adelhem dedicated the church. The church property is valued at about $1,500. Father Martin is pastor of the church at the present time.


was organized under the name of Burlington Junction Lodge U. D. April, 1881, with T. J. Hunt, I. B. Chrissinger, T. L. Houston, Geo. H. Hunt, Dr. James Evans, Louis Hastness, Frank Carr, Wm. Chambers, L. D. Moore, S. F. Guthrie, G. B. Stiffles, John S. Lawvet, L. J. Lynch, John Grooms, William Wood, James W. Smith and Joab Nicholas as original members. The officers were T. J. Hunt, W. M.; I. B. Chrissinger, S. W.; S. F. Guthrie, J. W.; Louis A. Hastness, Treas.; Wm. Chambers, Sec.; G. H. Hunt, S. D.; Joab Nicholas, J. D.; L. D. Moore, Tyler; L. L. Houston, S. S.; Frank Carr, J. S. A charter was granted October 13, 1881, and Nov. 2, 1881, it was delivered and the hall dedicated by District Deputy Grand Master E. W. Joy, of Savannah, with the following officers

L. A. Hastness, W. M.; I. B. Chrissinger, S. W.; L. D. Moore, J. W.; Dr. James Evans, Treas.; Frank Carr, Sec.; Will. R. Gay, S. D.; Perry J. Perkins, J. D.; L. L. Houston, Tyler; Wm. Wood, S. S. and James W. Smith, J. S.

The name and number of the lodge was changed from Burlington Junction Lodge U. D., to Burlington Lodge No. 442. The present membership is 36, with a bright prospect in the future - being in good condition financially, and having energetic and enterprising men as members. Them hold regular communications Saturday evenings on or before each full moon.


On December 11, 1880, this lodge was organized by Brother Chessman, deputy of the Grand Lodge. At the time of the organization the following named persons were officers of the lodge: J. H. Bryant, W. C. T.; Miss Grace Danner, W. V. T.; W. J. Sturgeon, W. S.; Mrs. J. F. Gregory, W. A. S.; C. C. Corwin, W. F. S.; Miss Mollie Hewitt, W. T.; W. Sutherland, W. M.; Miss Rebecca Rogers, W. A. M.; W. M. Christy, W. C.; Miss Lillie Evans, W. I. G.; Charles Souders, W. O. G.

The following are the names of the present officers: J. H. Bryant, W. C. T.; Mrs. Julia Gay, W. V. T.; C. E. Evans, W. S.; J. J. Bryant, W. F. S.; Mrs. Dr. Evans, W. T.; P. Danner, W. C.; Thomas Rosco, W. M.; Miss Ida Ryan, W. I. G.; Willie Hotaling, W. O. G.

The present membership is Ito. The lodge has done a good work in Burlington Junction and vicinity. All new towns pass through that peculiar phase of society which prevails for a time along the borders of advancing civilization, the period when the saloon and its votaries seem to give complexion to society. Like all new towns, Burlington Junction has not been free from these things. Seldom, however, is a young man, a citizen of the town, now known to be drunk. Drunkenness and the discharge of fire arms in the suburbs of the city, come from outsiders, who go to town for a spree. Burlington Junction is becoming known as a city of good morals, and much of this is due to the faithful work of the Good Templars.


This lodge was organized February 24, 1881, and chartered May 19, 1881. The following are the names of the charter members: Fred. R. Nourse, I. B. Chrissinger, James Evans, Frank Hubbell, C. C. Neighbors, George Hungate, J. H. Ware, Jr., William Chambers and J. F. Gregory.

The names of the officers at the organization were as follows: C. C. Neighbors, N. G.; Frank Hubbell, V. G.; William Chambers, R. S.; F. Nourse, P. S., and J. H. Ware, Jr., Treasurer.

The following are the names of the present officers: William Chambers, N. G.; William M. Clark, V. G.; Will C. Charles, R. S.; J. W. Jones, P, S., and J. T. Anderson, Treasurer. The present membership of this lodge numbers forty eight. The lodge is in a prosperous condition.


This lodge was chartered April 5, 1881, with the following named officers: Putnam Danner, P. M. W.; S. Dorr, M. W.; J. H. Eryant, G. F.; W. M. Clark, O.; W. Chambers, Recorder; J. F. Burk, Financier; J. H. Ware, Receiver; G. Hubbell, G.; John Fox, I. W.; S. Sunderland, O. W.; and thirty six charter members. The membership numbers forty four.

The names of the present officers are as follows: S. Dorr, P. M. W.; J. H. Bryant, M. W.; James Evans, G. F.; W. Chambers, O.; P. Danner, Recorder; John Wren, G.; J. F. Burk, Financier; J. T. Anderson, Receiver; Frank Warren, I. W.; W. H. Thomas, O. W.

The lodge is in a prosperous condition.


is situated one mile east of Burlington Junction. It is the junction of the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacific Railroad with the Clarinda Branch. The station house is well arranged for the comfort of travelers.

Return to [ Nodaway County ] [ MO History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy