History Cairo Township, Randolph County, Missouri
From: History of Randolph and Macon Counties, Missouri
National Historic Company
St. Louis, 1884
This township lies in the second tier of townships from the northern boundary of Randolph, and in the central
north-east part of the county. It contains an area of 21,920 acres, or a fraction over 34 square miles. The "Grand
Divide" runs in a north-westerly direction through it, separating it into two nearly equal parts. Its territory
was formerly a part of Sugar Creek township.
Among the early settlers in Cairo township were Leonard Dodson, from Kentucky; Andrew Goodding, from Kentucky; Samuel Martin, from Kentucky; Col. Robert Boucher, from Kentucky; Isaac Baker, from Kentucky; Benj. Huntsman, from Kentucky, Daniel McKinney, from Kentucky; James Cochran, from Kentucky; William King, from Kentucky; James T. Boney from North Carolina; Benjamin Dameron, from North Carolina; W. S. Dameron, from North Carolina; Judge Joseph Goodding, from Kentucky.
Judge Joseph Goodding is said to have been the firsts ettler in the township. He emigrated to Howard county,
Mo., from Kentucky, in 1818, and in 1823 located in Cairo township. He was a prominent citizen, and filled the
office of county judge three or four terms.
This town, of 250 population, was located in 1860, on the North division of the Wabash, St. Louis and Pacifie Railway, eight miles from Huntsville, and seven miles north of Moberly, and 152 miles north-west of St. Louis. The town site originally comprised 40 acres, owned by W. S. Dameron, who donated five acres for depot purposes. The remaining 35 acres were laid out in lots, all of which have since been sold. The new town was at first called Fairview, but there being another town of the same name, it was changed to Cairo, at the suggestion of Thomas Dameron. The latter name was not liked by some of the citizens, from the fact that goods purchased by Cairo merchants were occasionally shipped to Cairo, Ill. The town, however, has retained the name of Cairo. P. G. McDaniel, from Kentucky, erected the first store building in the town; Thomas Dameron, the first dwelling house, located east of the railroad. J. C. Tedford was the pioneer physician. Abner Landrum was the first blacksmith, and Thomas Carter was the first shoemaker. B. R. Boucher taught the first school. The Methodists (M. E. Church South) erected the first church edifice. Thomas Dameron was the first postmaster, and wrote the first mail matter that was sent from the town.
Lodge No. 486, A. F. and A. M. - Was organized October 15, 1874, with the following charter members: W. M. Baker,
J. A. Hannah, Isaac H. Newton, W. L. Newton, W. G. Griffin, R. H. Matthews, H. Huntsman, John Hoggs, C. E. Llewellyn.
Two general stores, two blacksmiths, one drug store, one hardware store, one lumber yard, one hotel, one shoemaker, one saw mill, and one wood-working shop are located in this place.
CAIRO WOOL GROWERS AND STOCK BREEDERS' ASSOCIATION.
This association was organized in February, 1876, with the following members: D. O. Forayer, J. W. Boney, I.
H. Newton, James A. Newton, J. W. Huston, John S. Bennett, Hon. Walker Wright, A. Smith, F. G. Johnstone, F. E.
Haynes, William Haynes, B. C. Turner, John Hogg, V. Rollins, J. D. Dameron, D. B. Boucher, B. R. Boucher, Judge
J. F. Hannah, J. D. Peeler, W. L. Landram, John T. Halliburton, John Huntsman, W. L. Reynolds.
Return to [ Randolph County ] [ MO History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]