SALT SPRING TOWNSHIP.
Salt Spring, one of the original four townships of Randolph county, has a municipal existence coeval with the
organization of the county, and is one of the most wealthy, populous, and influential of the eleven townships into
which the county is now divided. It also has the distinction of being the capital township, Huntsville, the county
seat, being within its limits. Geographically, Salt Spring is almost central to the county boundaries, and contains
Topographically, the lands of this township are gently undulating, assuring fine drainage, and are of every desirable
adaptation, whether for pasturage and the various grasses, or the more active cultivation of wheat, corn, rye,
oats, tobacco, potatoes, and the several root crops.
It can hardly be said with propriety that the township contains any prairie lands proper. In the matter of timber
and wood lands it is richly provided, about one third of its acreage being clothed with forests of white, red,
black, burr, swamp and pin oak, hickory, walnut, maple, elm and sycamore.
As will readily be conjectured, the township name, Salt Spring, has a local significance. It is so called from
the existence within its limits, and some three miles south west of Huntsville, on the line of the Wabash, St.
Louis and Pacific Railway, of a salt spring, or well, of considerable volume, at which, in the early history of
the county, the pioneer settlers, by primitive processes, manufactured their supplies of salt. The first systematized
salt works at this place were established and operated by Dr. William Fort, at a very early day, who not only supplied
the demand of the region immediately round about, but who also sent large supplies of salt to various points on
the Mississippi and elsewhere equally remote.
It is amongst the traditions of the people, that, at that early day, this spring, or well, served not alone the
purpose mentioned, but was then, as it is now reputed to be, a fountain of healing, in the use of whose waters
health and rejuvenation came to many hapless victims to acute and chronic rheumatism, and other kindred physical
ailments. Possibly it may serve a beneficial purpose to say right here that this salt spring is rapidly growing
in local popularity, and attracts no inconsiderable number of casual visitors during the summer months. With an
adequate expenditure of means in developing, improving and popularizing the place, it might be made an attractive
and valuable adjunct of the township and county.
This township is also well supplied with water, having the East fork of the Chariton river, with its several inferior
tributaries, cutting it almost centrally from the north east to the south west, and with Sweet Spring creek flowing
along its entire southern boundary. Of flowing springs there are but few, wells and cisterns being relied upon
for drinking and general domestic purposes.
In the matter of roads and bridges, the forecast and liberality of the county court have left the township nothing
for reasonable complaint.
As before stated, the proportion of land in the township open and cleared for cultivation, and that in timber,
is about as two of the former to one of the latter; and while frankness constrains the admission that the farmers,
taken as a whole, are rather careless and untidy in their methods of farming, the lands are generous, and respond
with kindly liberality to whatever labor and care are bestowed upon them. Taking any given five years together,
it is believed the following estimates of the products of these lands, per acre, will be almost literally verified:
An extra crop of corn, 60 bushels; average, 40 bushels; extra of wheat, 30 bushels; average, 20 bushels; hay, average,
2 tons; tobacco, average, 1,200 pounds.
With the rapidly increasing use of improved agricultural appliances and the infusion of new blood and new ideas
into the agricultural body, the latent force and susceptibility of these lands may he made to yield, not the necessaries
of life only, but its wealth and luxuries, also, in most generous measure.
In coal, Salt Spring township is rich beyond its sister townships of the county; and from this source is now, and
for several years has been, realizing much profit. Of well developed coal workings, there are a half dozen within
a radius of two miles of the court house (four of them being within the corporate limits of Huntsville), and which,
during the fall and winter, give employment to from 10 to 100 men each; each, of course, working an inferior force
during the summer months.
The oldest coal banks were opened by J. C. Chapman and David Reece. G. W. Taylor, I. Cook, William Mitchell, J.
A. Stewart, and Anderson & Co. have drift mines, which are now consolidated under the management of Taylor
& Bedford, E. S. Bedford, general manager. Altogether, these mines have a capacity of 78 cars per day.
Woodward Coal Mining Co. have two banks. There are also the Huntsville Coal Mining Co. and the coal mines of Jones
As indicating the magnitude of their interests, we append some statistics, drawn from authentic sources, and which
may be relied on as literally accurate. From the Huntsville depot there were shipped over the St. Louis, Kansas
City and Northern Railroad to points remote, for the year ending the last day of December, 1878, partial product
of these mines, 73,780 tons of coal. During the same period, coal mine No. 3, operated by the Huntsville Coal and
Mining Co., loaded directly from the mines into the cars and shipped abroad 6,239 tons of coal. During the same
period, coal mine No. 2 1/2, operated by J. Bailey & Co., loaded directly from the mine and shipped abroad
2,400 tons of coal.
The foregoing is exclusive of the local consumption of coal, which, it is safe to say, will fully reach 3,000 tons,
possibly much more.
Coal is shipped to Kansas City, Omaha, Council Bluffs and Kansas; 380 men are employed in the different mines.
And while the matter of the exports is in hand, we may as well make note of the tobacco and live stock exportations.
Of tobacco there were shipped from the Huntsville depot during the year 1878, 1,848 hogsheads; of horses and mules,
189 head; of neat cattle, 521 head; of hogs, 1,754 head; of sheep, 800 head.
During the same period there was brought to and distributed from the depot here, 4,798,894 pounds of freight, and
passenger tickets sales made to the amount of $5,113.95.
The township contains two flouring and four saw mills, in more or less active operation, and one woolen mill; to
which we may properly add one flouring mill erected in Huntsville. This mill, built by a nonresident, is well located,
is a substantial structure, and contains three run of buhrs, two for wheat, and one for corn.
In close proximity is the woolen mill, or manufactory, of Mr. John Sutliff, one of the most conspicuous and valuable
of the local industries. The building is a large and substantial one of stone, and is thoroughly equipped with
the best machinery. Erected a few years ago by a company, it passed by sale to Mr. Sutliff, under whose experienced
guidance it is now not only profitable to him, but positively a necessity of this entire region. Its annual consumption
of wool is about 40,000 pounds, and its productions are cloths, jeans, satinets, flannels, linseys, tweeds, blankets,
carpets and yarns. In the production of yarns for domestic knitting, this mill has practically superseded the spinning
wheels of our mothers and grandmothers, fully two thirds of the yarn so used in this county being supplied by Mr.
Sutliff. The quality of his yarn productions will be appreciated when we say that fully two thirds of it finds
ready sale in Eastern markets. In connection with this establishment, and operated by the same power, Mr. Sutliff
has a fully equipped saw mill, from which he turns out an annual average of 40,000 to 50,000 feet of lumber.
As to the market values of real estate (farming lands) in this township, they have the usual range, depending upon
soil, location, and improvement. Salt Spring will compare favorably with any township of the county or State. In
the body of the township, outside of Huntsville, there are three churches with regularly worshipping congregations,
to wit: Pleasant Hill Regular Baptists, 40 members. The others are New Hope and Trinity, both Methodist, with large
memberships. At Huntsville there are houses of worship, to wit: One Methodist (white), membership 75; one Baptist
(white), membership 196; one Baptist (colored), membership 102; one Christian, membership (approximately) 125.
Of public school buildings, there are six in the township, exclusive of the two at Huntsville, These buildings
are all of good class, judicially located, and adequately equipped. The schools are well taught, and generally
well sustained. The Huntsville school building (white) is a handsome and commodious structure, centrally and handsomely
located. The colored school building is less commodious, but ample for the requirements of the place.
There is in successful operation, one mile west of Huntsville, an institution known as the Randolph Creamery,
which was established in September, 1882, by R. E. Lewis, D. S. Benton, and E. S. Bedford, with a capital stock
of $6,500. This creamery makes 4,600 pounds of butter per month, which is marketed in St. Louis and New York. R.
E. Lewis is president, and E. S. Bedford, vice president and general manager.
There are three tobacco factories in Huntsville. Two of these are owned by W. T. Rutherford and E. E. Samuel,
Jr., and the other by Miss Berenice Morrison, of St. Louis. Mr. Rutherford will handle about 400,000 pounds; he
employs from 100 to 125 hands. E. E. Sammel, Jr., is operating all of these factories, and will handle between
400 and 450,000 pounds. He works from 175 to 200 hands. The tobacco put up in the Huntsville market is shipped
to England, Ireland and Germany, as well as to the markets of the United States. Huntsville is the second largest
leaf tobacco market in the State, and generally ships from two and a half to three millions of pounds per annum.
The firm of Thomson, Lewis & Co., composed of James D. Thomson, James W. Lewis and E. E. Samuel, have until
the past year handled the largest part of the leaf tobacco grown in this market. The purchases of this firm last
year amounted to three millions of pounds, one third of this being bought in this market. Dealers here sometimes
sell to European buyers. One of the largest sales ever made here was made by Thomson, Lewis & Co. last year
to London buyers, who purchased 300 hhds. at $50,000. There will probably be paid out the sum of $75,000 this year
at Huntsville for tobacco, notwithstanding the present crop is light. Farmers are preparing for a large crop, and
if the season is favorable there will be three millions of pounds handled alone in this market next year. The tobacco
of Randolph county commands a price equal to that produced anywhere in the United States, and is sought for by
buyers all over the globe. In 1880 the tobacco crop of Randolph amounted to $701,052. Chariton and Macon are the
only counties in the State that produce more tobacco than Randolph.
The pioneers of Salt Spring township were generally from Kentucky, as will be seen from the list of names given
below: From Kentucky came Henry Lassiter, Henry Winburn, Valentine Mays, Neal Murphy, Clark Skinner, Benjamin Skinner,
Joseph M. Hammett, William Fray, Blandermin Smith, Robert Sconce, William Baker, Charles Baker, Joseph M. Baker,
Christly Baker, Jeremiah Summers, Archibald Rutherford, William Rutherford and Shelton Rutherford. John Read came
from North Carolina. Tolman Gorham came from Tennessee, as did also Thomas Gorham, Sr., Thomas J. Gorham and Dr.
William Fort. James Cochrane, John Welden, Jeremiah Summers, William Elliott, Robert Elliott, Joseph Holman, William
Cunningham and Abraham Goodding were other early settlers.
Dr. William Fort, above named, together with Tolman Gorham, opened and operated the salt works, which were then
located at what is now known as the Medical Springs, in Randolph county. They began making salt in 1823, and continued
to supply a wide scope of country, extending many miles in almost every direction, for many years.
The doctor was the first physician to locate in the county, and being one of the oldest citizens of the county,
we here insert the following notice of his death, furnished by his son, Dr. John T. Fort, of Huntsville:-
DEATH OF DR. WILLIAM FORT.
Another of the strong and notable men of the pioneer life of Missouri has been called to his reward in the person
of Dr. William Fort, of Randolph county, who died at the residence of his sou, Henry T. Fort, near Huntsville,
without a struggle, and from exhaustion and old age, on August 23, 1881, aged 88 years.
The deceased was born in Nashville, Tennessee, October 19, 1793, and was a soldier in the War of 1812, under Gen.
Jackson. After the close of the war, and on March 14, 1815, he married Miss Patsy Gorham, who with four of their
six children survive him.
In 1817 he professed religion and united with the Baptist church. In 1820, a year before the State was admitted
into the Union, he emigrated with his young family to Missouri and settled in Randolph county, and on the farm
on which he was buried.
He was a member of the first county court of Randolph county, and during his life was elevated by his fellow citizens
to seats in both branches of the General Assembly. always discharging his official trusts, as he did his personal
and professional obligations, with fidelity, promptness and great acceptance to the people, aiding in all the relations
of life in laying the foundations of the great Commonwealth of which he was always so justly proud.
He was a Democrat of the school of Jefferson and Jackson, and during the latter years of Senator Benton's career,
a leader in the State of the anti Benton forces, and contributed not a little by his influence in the final overthrow
of Benton's power in Missouri.
Dr. Fort was a man of the most exemplary private life; took the right side of all the moral questions of the day,
and being fearless as well as discreet in the proclamation of his opinions, left the world the better that he had
lived in it. Decided in his convictions of public policy, he was conservative without being tame, and tolerant
of opinions differing from his own. In short, he was a strong character, and has left his impress on his generation.
By profession he was a physician, and for many years his practice was very successful and extensive.
William Fray erected the first water mill in Salt Spring township, on the East fork of the Chariton river.
Huntsville is beautifully located upon an elevated and healthful plateau, on the north side of the Wabash, St.
Louis and Pacific Railroad.
On the 5th of January, 1831, the first steps were taken towards locating the county seat at Huntsville, by the
appointment of Robert Wilson as commissioner. The tract or tracts which comprised the original town were donated
to the county by William Goggin, Gideon Wright, Daniel Hunt and Henry Winburn, and the county surveyor was immediately
ordered to lay off the land and make a plat thereof. Each of these donations consisted of 12 1/2 acres, which formed
an exact square, the dome of the new court house being the centre. The town site now covers between seven and eight
Daniel Hunt, one of the donors above named, was the first settler, locating, however, but a little while in
advance of the other three. These men were from Kentucky. The town was called Huntsville in honor of Daniel Hunt,
the first settler.
The first sale of lots took place in the following April, and included all of them with the exception of those
from number 94 to 99 inclusive, reserved for court house, lot 155 for jail lot, and also number 32, which it was
then thought necessary to hold back for a market house. This market house lot was subsequently sold, and is the
one on which stands the present residence of James B. Thompson. The highest price then paid for lots was $115,
which was paid for the lot on which stands the brick store now occupied by M. Heymann, and the post office stand,
and also for the lot which is the present site of the Austin House. Some of the lots sold as low as $3.25, which
are very valuable property now.
The original town site of Huntsville was 'doubtless covered with timber, judging from the following order which
was made by the county court when the town was located:
ORDERED: That all persons cutting timber in the streets of Huntsville are required to leave the stumps not more
than one foot in height, and to clear all timber so cut, together with the brush.
PIONEER BUSINESS MEN.
The pioneer business men of the town were Davis and Curtin, to whom were issued the first tavern license, granted
by the county court in 1829. Their place of business was at the house of William Goggin (Daniel G. Davis and Waddy
T. Currin). The next merchants were Garth and Giddings (Dabney C. Garth and Brack Giddings). These gentlemen were
from Virginia. Garth represented the county in the Legislature.
Then came Fielding, Clinton and Grundy Cockerill, who did a general merchandise business under the firm name of
Cockerill & Co. Joseph C. Dameron commenced the mercantile business in the spring of 1835, and in 1842 he brought
the first piano to the county, its strange and inspiring notes being the first ever heard among the classic hills
Conway and Lamb were among the earliest merchants. John F. Riley was the first gunsmith; O. D. Carlisle was the
first saddler; John Gray taught the first school, in a log house located on the public square; James C. Ferguson
was the first shoemaker; Dr. Waller Head was the first physician to locate in the town. He was a native of Orange
county, Virginia, and located in Huntsville in October, 1831, where he continued to reside until his death, which
occurred in August, 1845. Dr. Joseph Rutherford came soon after Head, and formed a partnership in the practice
of medicine with the latter.
Ned. Goggin (colored) opened the first bakery, and after accumulating quite a fortune, he moved to Putnam county,
Missouri, where he now resides. Joseph Viley erected the first carding machine and cotton gin in 1834. Joseph C.
Dameron opened the first tobacco factory. Dr. J. J. Watts kept the first drug store; William Smith the first livery
Gen. Robert Wilson was the first lawyer in the town. He was also the first county and circuit court clerk, and
afterwards became a United States Senator from Missouri. Clair Oxley, from Kentucky, was the second lawyer; he
afterwards died in Santa Fe, New Mexico. William Coggin erected the first mill in the town at a very early day.
It was a horse mill, and was operated for nearly 35 years.
Almost simultaneously with the founding of the new town, a few of the old settlers, anxious to amuse themselves,
opened a race track near the north western portion of the town. Here met the sporting men and lovers of the turf
for several years, drawn hither at stated periods to witness the speed of some strange or favorite horse. Among
the horses whose popularity has come down to us were " White Stockings " and "A;eck," the former
the property of Bart McDameron, and the latter the property of Hancock Jackson. In 1837 Aiphonso Wetmore, the compiler
of the "Gazetteer " of Missouri, said of Huntsville at that date:-
Huntsville, the seat of justice of Randolph, is near the centre of the county. This town is flourishing, and contains
a good brick court house, seven stores, etc. There is no church in the place; but public worship, by all denominations,
is held in the court house, and in the school houses of the town and county. This is a fashion throughout Missouri,
and it seems rational to occupy one house for various purposes in a new country. While the people are building
up their fortunes, and erecting private houses at the same time, there should be indulgence given until they shall
be better able to build temples, suited in magnificence to the great Being, to whom these will be dedicated.
HUNTSVILLE IN OTHER DAYS.
[From the Citizen.]
By request we publish the following letter, outlining the proceedings of a celebration of the Huntsville Division
of Sons of Temperance, in this place in 1848. It was published in the Glasgow Times of October 12, 1848, together
with the addresses to which it refers. Some of the gentlemen whose names are mentioned are still with us, and will
no doubt cast their mind back over 30 years of their life and recognize the proceedings referred to:-
HUNTSVILLE, MO. Oct. 4, 1848
"Gentlemen: - The undersigned were appointed a committee, by the Huntsville Division of the Sons of Temperance,
to have the enclosed addresses delivered in this place on Thursday, the 28th September, the first celebration of
the order in this place, published - and believing as we do, that your paper is always open to any and every subject
that may prove beneficial to the cause of humanity, we thought fit to impose upon your generous feelings, so far
as to ask permission for the patriotic and noble sentiments inculcated in those addresses, a place in your columns,
and to request other journal, favorable to the extension and advancement of the glorious cause of Temperance, to
copy the same. These speeches were delivered by Miss Mary M. Lewis, on behalf of the ladies of Huntsville and vicinity,
in presenting a beautiful banner which was made for the order, and by John O. Oxley, in behalf of the Division.
We would remark also, that on that occasion, a Bible was presented, and an excellent address from Mrs. M. M. Watts,
and responded to by Mr. E. B. Cone, on behalf of the Division, which we will also send you in the course of a few
days for publication. "Our celebration was everything to be desired. Besides the eloquent and masterly efforts
by those who delivered the flag and Bible, and those who received them on behalf of the Division, the Rev. Mr.
Simpson, from Glasgow, George H. Burckhartt and Dr. McLean, of Huntsville Division of the Sons of Temperance, delivered
most able and interesting addresses. The cause is prospering finely here, and we hope will continue to prosper,
until the Demon, Intemperance, is banished from our land of liberty.
"Respectfully, your obedient servants,
"W. R. SAMUEL,
"W. M. DAMERON,
"F. M. M'LEAN."
[From the Huntsville Herald.]
During the year 1871 over one hundred thousand dollars were spent in permanent improvements by the people of
the city of Huntsville, a partial list of which we give below, not having the data at hand for a full report, but
the figures we give only fall a few hundred dollars short of the true amount given and we are fully satisfied $25,000
additional would not cover the whole expense of improvement in the one year of 1871. Our people are fully waked
up to the importance of building a large town here, and now that the ball is set rolling they will keep it going.
We have resources untold that need development, and it only requires a liberal expenditure of capital with judgment
and energy to make our town one of the most important in North Missouri.
Here are the names of the parties and the improvements they have made.
The amount expended on the college looks large on paper, but we have a detailed statement of expenditures in
this office to prove it correct. Any doubting " Thomas " can walk in and examine it for himself:-
"Huntsville Woolen Mill building, $5,000; addition to college and boarding house, $19,000; Wm. Smith's livery
stable, $3,500; addition to plow factory, $800; Sandison, Murry & Co., two stone storehouses, $5,500; Charles
Allin, residence, $1,700; William Mayo, wagon and blacksmith shop, $225; W. H. Taylor, office, $600, repairs and
improvements on his residence, $300; J. N. Taylor, improvement on furniture store, $400; J. C. Shaefer, dwelling
to rent, $1,100; improvements on residence of same, $100; Methodist Church South, new church, $6,000; Neal Holman,
new dwelling, $1,000; J. R. Christian, barn and improvements on residence, $250; J. P. Klink, improvements on business
house, $200; Archie Rutherford, dwelling to rent, $1,000; S. Y. Pitts, new dwelling, $3,500; Jno H. Austin, dwelling
to rent, $475; Walter Adams, residence, $900; V. B. Calhoun, residence, $1,200; S. M. Keehaugh, addition to store,
$600; Mrs. Mary McCampbell, improvements on hotel, $325; 3. R. Wisdom, house to rent and improvements on his store,
$1,600; Mrs. Gillis, imimprovements on dwelling, $200; H. Woodbury, improvements on dwelling, $300; G. F. Rothwell,
house to rent, $550; William Pillager, dwelling, $350; Huntsville Coal Company, shaft and other improvements, $12,500;
W. T. Rutherford, five dwelling houses to rent, $2,500; Taylor & Smothers, three houses to rent, $2,700; David
Reese, two houses to rent, $850; Mr. Chas. McCarty, residence, $600; G. F. Rothwell, residence, $1,500; John B.
Taylor, improvements on residence, $1,500; J. D. Hunt, residence, $525; T. D. Bogie, improvements on residence,
$200; Mrs. Boulware, improvements on residence, $250; Will Doc Hunt, residence, $600; H. L. Rutherford, improvements
on residence, $400; school house for negroes, $540; Westley Elay, dwelling, $1,100; James Chrisman, dwelling, $300;
Nelson Carter, dwelling, $450; J. Hummons, dwelling, $450; J. Smith, dwelling, $300; David Morton, addition to
residence, $200; Beverly Lay, residence, $450; Easter Austin, residence, $300; L. Henderson, residence, $200; jail
and jailor's residence, $8,000; Jane Walker, improvements on residence, $500."
[From the Herald.]
On a Monday morning, in January, 1874, about one o'clock, fire was discovered issuing from the rear room of
the grocery store of George T. Green, on Main street, in this place. The flames spread rapidly, and in a few minutes
the house of Moses Heymann, on the west, and the City Drug Store of Charles Semple & Co., were on fire, and
were not long in being reduced to ruins. By this time a large crowd had gathered, and by the almost superhuman
efforts of a few men the progress of the flames was checked. The house of Mrs. Lewis, occupied by W. T. Jackson
as a grocery store, the next store on the east from the drug store, was saved without material damage.
The fire was evidently the work of an incendiary, as no fire had been in the store of Mr. Green since the Saturday
night previous, and in the part of the building where the fire originated there was no stove or stove flue, and
it is not known that there was any combustible substance to create a fire.
WHO OWNED THE HOUSES.
The first house burned was the property of Mr. J. C. Shaefer. It was a two story brick, brick front, about 40
feet deep by 21 feet wide, and had a wooden addition on the south end. It was insured in the Underwriters' Insurance
Company of New York City for $1,500. The building is, of course, a total loss.
The next house on the east was the property of James Wisdom. It was a two story brick, about 40 feet deep, with
a brick extension on the south. It was fitted up for a drug store, in a very complete manner, and was the best
house for that purpose in the county. It was insured in the American Central, of St. Louis, for $2,500.
On the corner stood the three story brick which formerly belonged to the estate of John McCampbell, but which was
purchased some time ago by Moses Heymann. This building was not insured, and is a total loss.
HOW THE HOUSES WERE OCCUPIED:
Moses Heymann occupied the first story of the corner building, as a dry goods and clothing store, and had on
hand, he estimates, about $15,000 in stock, on which there was an insurance in the following companies: Equitable,
of Nashville; Fire and Marine, of St. Joseph, and Underwriters, of New Yorkm aggregating $8,000. His stock was
partially saved, but of course more or less damaged in removing. His losses will be heavy, but cannot yet be approximated
in dollars and cents.
The second story of this building was occupied by Mr. J. G. Bibb as a saddle and harness maker's shop. His goods
were nearly all saved, and, we understand, not badly damaged in handling.
The third story was occupied as a Masonic hall, and the Huntsville Lodge and Huntsville Royal Arch Chapter each
had all their regalia and other fixtures there, which are a total loss, as nothing was saved from this part of
the building. The records of both Lodge and Chapter were fortunately not in the building, but the charter of each
of the institutions was burned.
The first story of the next building was occupied by George T. Green, as a family grocery store, and he had on
hand a full stock of goods in his line. As the fire originated in his back room, only such goods as were in the
front portion of the store were saved. His losses will be heavy. He was insured in the St. Joseph Fire and Marine
Insurance Company for $2,000 on his stock. The second story was occupied by Col. Denny as a law office, in which
he kept his books and a considerable amount of office furniture. His books were fortunately saved, but his furniture
and some valuable papers were burned. No insurance.
The first story of the next building was occupied by Messrs. Charles Semple & Co. as a drug store, in which
they had a very complete stock of drugs, etc. We understand that only about $500 worth of their stock was saved,
as the oils, etc., in the rear of their store burned very rapidly. They are insured in the New York Home Insurance
Company for $2,500.
The second story of the building was occupied by Mr. Charles Semple as a dwelling. He succeeded in saving all his
furniture and household goods, only losing a little clothing. This completes the occupancies of the buildings burned.
The above covers the buildings that were burned and their occupancy. In addition to this the stocks were removed
from the remaining buildings in the row, and were of course more or less damaged.
W. T. Jackson is damaged three or four hundred on grocery stock. No insurance. The bank moved out their desks and
other movable fixtures, but there was no particular damage to them. The liquors and fixtures of John R. Belsher's
saloon were all moved out, and in the effort to take care of them, the liquors were nearly all drank up. He lost
nearly all his stock which falls heavy on him. G. W. Taylor's goods were all moved out into the street, and will
be damaged to the amount of a thousand or fifteen hundred dollars, covered by insurance. The stoves and hardware
of V. B. Calhoun were moved out, but the damage will be slight, as was also the saddlery of A. J. Ferguson, and
the stores and hardware of H. P. Hunter. The law books and office furniture of John R. Christian were removed,
and more or less damaged, as were those of I. P. Bibb.
The total losses by the fire will not be far from $20,000, at a very moderate estimate. A number of our citizens
worked faithfully to stop the ravages of the fire, among whom none deserve more praise than William and Neal Holman,
and R. J. Flourney, also a man named Fowler, from Sedalia, and another named John N. Brison, from Shelbina. The
roof on the house of Dr. J. C. Oliver was torn off to stop the fire in case it got that far, but fortunately this
We cannot close this without saying that a number of ladies who live in town did heroic service in assisting to
save the goods, for which they deserve great credit.
There have been other fires in Huntsville, but none perhaps more destructive than the fire above mentioned.
[Continued in Salt Springs History part 2.]