History Salt Springs Township, Randolph County, Missouri
From: History of Randolph and Macon Counties, Missouri
National Historic Company
St. Louis, 1884
[Continued from Salt Springs history part 1]
SUBSCRIPTION TO YELLOW FEVER SUFFERERS.
The people of Huntsville, ever generous and alive to the calls of suffering humanity, met at the court house,
August 31, 1878, during the prevalence of yellow fever in the South, and contributed of their substance, as will
be seen by the following notice:-
BANKS AND BANKERS.
The first banking enterprise in Huntsville was inaugurated about the year 1866 by William M. Wisdom and Courtney
Hughes. It was a private institution, and continued until the death of Mr. Hughes, which occurred in 1867. The
bank then did business under the name of C. Wisdom & Co., until December 31, 1874, when it was succeeded by
the Huntsville Savings Bank. The bank was again changed in 1878, to the private bank of J. M. Hammett & Co.,
with the following directors and stock holders: F. M. Hammett, president; James W. Hammett, vice president; C.
H. Hammett, cashier; B. F. Hammett, J. D. Hammett, W. R. Samuel, M. J. Sears, John It. Christian. The bank is supplied
with a time lock, and is in a flourishing condition, as the following statement will show:-
Huntsville Lodge Ho 30, A. F. and A. M. -. Was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Missouri October 8, 1840. The
following are the only three names of the charter members that appear upon the records Edward Slater, Fleming Terrill,
Thomas P. Coates. This lodge owns a hall equal to any similar institution to he found in any town not exceeding
The Huntsville Building and Loan Association was chartered February 17, 1882. The first officers were William Sandison, President; T. M. Elmore, Vice President; C. H. Hammett, Treasurer; J. C. Shaefer, Secretary. The same officers were continued at the last annual election until February, 1885. The Association is in a good and flourishing condition. About 15 family residences have been built during its two years' existence by the aid of this association, and it is expected that as many, or more, will be built during the present year - 1884.
PIONEER CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL.
The Huntsville Baptist church (Missionary) was organized at the house of Brother Zephaniah Walden, near Huntsville, in August. 1837, with seven constituent members, to wit: Theophilus Eddine, Zephaniah Walden and wife, Mary Thomas, Martha Dameron, Benjamin Terrill and James Terrill. The first church house in the town was erected about 1840.
The first additions to the church were J. C. Shaefer and wife, in September, 1837, on letters of commendation from the Baptist church at Charlottesville, Va. Since then, nearly all the Baptist churches in the county have been organized by members dismissed from the Huntsville church. The present membership is 140. Present clerk, W. B. Samuel; pastor, S. Y. Pitts. The first Sunday school in the town or county was organized by J. C. Shaefer, in August, 1839, and has been successfully carried on without intermission to the present time. The present superintendent is W. R. Samuel.
SEMPLE'S OPERA HOUSE.
This elegant building was finished in February, 1884, and is the property of Charles Semple. The building has a frontage of 42 feet on Court Square, and a depth of 90 feet, with 19 foot ceiling. The lower story of the building is divided into two store rooms, each 21 by 90 feet. The stage is 42 feet wide and 20 feet deep, and is supplied with drop curtains and fly wings, which have been gotten up in the best style of the scenic art. The building is a monument to the good taste and liberality of Mr. Semple, and a great credit to the city of Huntsville. The builders of the Opera House were Frank and Jake Walsh, stone builders. The architect was Mr. E. Cook, of Moberly; stage architect, W. O. Thomas; scenic artists, W. O. Thomas & Co., of Kansas City; decorative artist, E. Viets, of Moberly; painter, E. W. Stradley, Huntsville; cornice work, H. Wiles & Co., Kansas City; iron work, Smith, Hill & Co., Quincy, Ill.; plasterer, James Domm, Huntsville; gas fitting, P. H. Nise, Moberly; gas fixtures, Fay Gas Fixture Co., St. Louis and William Sandison, Huntsville; tin work and heaters, Holman & Payne, Huntsville. The carpeting, matting, and chairs were all special orders from St. Louis, and were obtained through the agency of Mr. John N. Taylor, of Huntsville.
HUNTSVILLE BRASS BAND.
This band was organized in November, 1883, and is composed of the following persons: J. P. Hurry, E. W. Taylor, J. W. Taylor, E. E. Samuel, B. E. Treloar, Philip Maniel, J. O. Simms, Eddie Calhoun, Ed. St. Clair, M. A. Cooley, William Skinner, Prof. Jonahan Goetz.
HOME DRAMATIC COMPANY
gave its first public performance in January, 1884. The following are the members of this company: Prof. B. F. Heaton, J. M. Wright, H. L. Ellington, W. R. Smith, J. P. Hurry, Dr. W. B. Ahbington, B. E. Treloar, Church Brooking, John McClary, D. P. Hall, Eugene Jackson, Mrs. V. B. Calhoun, Mrs. J. M. Wright, Miss Anna Sears, Miss Minnie Sears, Miss Dora Shaefer, Miss Ella Goodding Miss Maggie Williams, Miss Annie Smith, Miss Jeffie Jones. This company, composed exclusively of home talent, has given two entertainments, which were largely attended and highly appreciated by the citizens of Huntsville. The first earnings of the company are to be used to pay for the town clock.
HUNTSVILLE FLAMING RAKE AND STACKER MANUFACTURING COMPANY
was formed in November, 1883, with a capital of $10,000, held by 22 stockholders. Its present officers are W.
T. Rutherford, president; T. M. Elmore, vice president, and J. A. Swetnam, treasurer. This company, although it
has been doing business but a few weeks, has now 100 agents and 116 sub agents in different States. Twenty five
men are employed, who make about 16 machines per day.
PRESENT MAYOR AND COUNCILMEN.
W. V. Hall, mayor; W. T. Rutherford, J. W. Hammett, Thomas M. Jones, G. M. Keebaugh, councilmen.
G. M. Keebaugh, clerk; W. T. Rutherford, treasurer; A. M. Ellington, city attorney; J. C. Shaefer, assessor; T. C. Jackson, marshal.
The public schools were partially organized in Huntsville some little time after the close of the war, but the
organization was not completed until 1877, when the new school building was erected. The building and grounds cost
about $3,500; it is a two story frame structure, and contains eight rooms. In 1877, Prof. M. C. McMellen took charge
of the school as principal. The white pupils enrolled at that time numbered 225, and the colored 75.
MOUNT PLEASANT COLLEGE.
In 1853 the citizens of Randolph county, impressed with the need of an institution of learning, and wishing
to secure to themselves its benefits, determined to erect suitable buildings at a cost of not less than $10,000.
Acting on the advice of Hon. William A. Hall, to put the institution under the care and patronage of Mount Pleasant
Baptist Association, a letter stating the above proposal, signed by William A. Hall, H. Austin and P.P. Ruby, in
behalf of the citizens of Randolph county, was addressed to and accepted by the Association, and the institution
took the name of the Association. Under this arrangement the money was secured and the building erected. February
28, 1855, the charter was obtained. In 1857, the building having been completed at a cost of $12,500, and a school
of 170 pupils under Rev. William Thompson, LL. D., President, and Rev. J. H. Carter, A. B., Professor of Mathematics,
and Miss Bettie Ragland, Principal of female department, having been taught with gratifying results one year, the
institution was formally tendered by the board of trustees to the Association and accepted; the Association at
the same time promising to endow the college remotely with $25,000, and within two years, with $10,000, appointed
Rev. Noah Flood to proceed at once to secure the last named amount, and pledged himself to maintain sufficient
and efficient teachers until the $10,000 endowment was secured. Rev. W. R. Rothwell succeeded Dr. Thompson in the
presidency, and the college ran till 1861, filling the most sanguine expectations of its friends. President Bothwell
gathered quite an extensive library, provided apparatus for chemical, philosophical and astronomical purposes,
secured a considerable cabinet of minerals and fossils, and established the character and reputation of the college.
The war in 1861 crippled the resources of the school, by cutting off students, and a deficit of $580 in teachers'
salaries was imposed, which failing to be met by the Association, the trustees of the college let it to President
Rothwell, who, at his own risk, and mainly by his own effort, carried the college through the clouds of war into
the sunshine of 1868. The school which had hitherto been self sustaining, or carried by the magnanimity of President
Rothwell to 1866, now being cut down by the impoverished and unsettled state of the country, made a move for an
endowment a necessity, and the call became imperative. The board of trustees at Mount Gilead church in 1866, with
emphasis called upon the Association to redeem her past pledges for endowment.
In 1870, Mount Pleasant Association, wishing further to endow the college, and learning that Macon Association
was contemplating building a similar institution of learning at Macon City, in the adjoining county, and within
30 miles of Huntsville, proposed to Macon Association to consolidate upon Mount Pleasant College, offering them
first, one half of the board of trustees, and second, requiring them to raise $5,000 to be blended with the endowment
fund. W. R. Rothwell, Benjamin Terrill, Joshua W. Terrill, W. R. Samuel and W. T. Beckelheimer were appointed a
committee with discretionary power to confer with Macon Association. In 1872, Macon Association having canvassed
her ability to build, and the proposal of Mount Pleasant Association, agreed by resolution to cooperate with Mount
Pleasant Association, in building up Mount Pleasant College, when the committee from Mount Pleasant Association
guaranteed them one half of the board of trustees except one, leaving a majority of the board in Mount Pleasant
Association. In 1869, Rev. James W. Terrill succeeded President Rothwell. The war being over, confidence restored,
and the times being prosperous and inviting, the college with other enterprises, took new life. Added to this,
President Terrill brought to the institution a combination of merit, enterprise and energy, rarely found in one
man, and in producing a new, popular and successful method of teaching, carried the college to its highest point
of success. The question of repairs, additions and betterments (for the building had been used for military quarters
during the war) now arose, and the terms, patronage and success of the school, and the earnest protestations of
both Mount Pleasant and Macon Associations, seemed to demand and encourage immediate action in this direction.
The trustees concluded to make ample improvement and additions, and to the main building added two wings, running
out and back of the main building, giving in rooms, halls, stairways and closets, a. building whose size, arrangement,
decoration and stability which would rank with any in the State. Added to this the patronage and liberality of
the citizens of Randolph county, and especially the citizens of Huntsville to the institution, which had ever been
marked, the board of trustees were induced to build a commodious and tasteful boardinghouse, three stories, besides
the basement. The citizens of Huntsville for this purpose furnished $3,000 cash, by which with a loan on first
mortgage, assisted by a loan of $3,500 endowment fund, secured by second mortgage on the building, it was completed.
These buildings and additions were completed in 1871, and a considerable debt incurred. In 1873, the financial
trouble which had been threatening overwhelmed the country, and a wave more damaging and blighting than war passed
over the college. For two years longer, under President Terrill, it stood bravely on its feet carrying the heavy
pressure. But the boarding house was sold under first mortgage, and failing to bring the debt, the second mortgage,
$3,500 endowment fund, was lost and the Jerry Kingsbury bequest, $2,500, being swept away, when the bank failed,
and the parties failing to come to time on their notes, from financial embarrassments, the $10,000 endowment was
FEMALE COLLEGE MEETING.
At a meeting of the citizens of Huntsville, held on Tuesday evening, March 8th, 185-, for the purpose of taking
into consideration the building of a Female College, W. R. Samuel, Esq., was called to preside over the meeting,
and S. T. Morehead was appointed Secretary.
The first fair was held at Huntsville in the fall of 1854. D. C. Garth was president, Wallace McCampbell, vice
president; William D. Malone, secretary; Robert Y. Gilman, treasurer. The directors were: Dr. W. T. Dameron, James
M. Hammett, Col. Thomas P. Ruby, Hon. James F. Wright, F. M. McLean, N. B. Christian. The last fair was held in
1876. The officers were: H. T. Rutherford, president; J. M. Summers, first vice president; F. M. Hammett, second
vice president. The directors were Louis Heether, W. T. Rutherford, James F. Robinson, Capt. Thomas B. Reed, James
M. Baker, Neal Holman, G. H. Burckhartt, S. T. Morehead.
[Also see Salt Springs history part 1]
Return to [ Randolph County ] [ MO History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]