History of Brickton, Nebraska
From: Past and Present Adams County, Nebraska
Edited by: Judge William R. Burton
Assisted by David J. Lewis
Published By: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago 1916
Brickton, 6 1/2 miles south of Hastings, on the road forming the western boundary of the city, was never a real
town, although at one time there were there a group of about a dozen houses. This period was between 1886 and 1890.
Hastings capitalists had started a brick yard in Brickton and had equipped their place with rather elaborate steam
driven machinery for the manufacture of brick. Between thirty and forty men were employed and lived in the group
of houses. There was also a store. Parts of the machinery remained at the location for several years after the
brick plant was abandoned. The finances of the brick plant were involved in the affairs of the City National Bank,
and when that institution failed, the brick business failed with it. One of the stirring events recalled in the
early days of Brickton is a prize fight between "Lou" Carroll and Billy "Tweester."
In 1906 W. H. Ferguson began operating in sand at Brickton. Mr. Ferguson disposed of the sand business to the E.
Stockham Grain Company; who still carry it on. About a carload of sand per day is removed from the pits. A. H.
Farrens also operated Brickton sand pits for a time.
Return to [ Adams County ] [ NE History ] [
History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [Adams County Biographies ]
All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s).
These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided
here freely for personal use only. Privacy