History of Inland, Nebraska
From: Past and Present Adams County, Nebraska
Edited by: Judge William R. Burton
Assisted by David J. Lewis
Published By: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., Chicago 1916
The grain elevator operated by the Farmers Grain & Supply Company, on the northwest corner of the southwest
quarter of section 12 in Blaine Township, is all that remains of the first attempt to build a town in Adams County
along the line of the Burlington. The town was called Inland and was laid out by the South Platte Town Company
in 1871. Previously, George Sluyter, William Janes, Volnev Janes and George Knapp settled upon the townsite.
A number of stores were built at Inland, that of Torn Shea among others. A two story frame schoolhouse was built
and other signs of a future town marked the spot. The development of Hastings put an end to the career of Inland,
and about 1878 the railroad station was removed three miles east to the present town of Inland in Clay County.
In the plan of the Burlington, Inland followed Harvard in alphabetical order, and until the development of Hastings
was assured, the railroad favored Inland while it ignored Hastings. For many years the elevator was operated by
Michael Halloran on whose farm it was located, and the place was referred to as either "Old Inland" or
Return to [ Adams County ] [ NE History ] [
History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [Adams County Biographies ]
All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s).
These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided
here freely for personal use only. Privacy