The survey of the Village of Roseland was completed by E. G. Groff April 20, 1887. It was located by the surveyor
on the southwest quarter of section 21, town 6, range 11, the townsite containing 89.23 acres, less twelve acres
which were the right of way of the K. C. & O. Railroad. May 27, 1889, the town was incorporated, the boundary
lines being fixed as follows: Commencing at the northeast corner of section 22 in Roseland Township, thence west
to the northeast corner of section 20, thence west to the half section stake in section 20, thence south one mile
to the center of section 29, thence east to the northwest corner of section 28, thence south to the southwest corner
of section 28, thence east to the southeast corner of section 27, thence north to the southeast corner of section
22, thence north to the place of beginning.
The first trustees of the village were W. C. Davis, J. S. Richards, C. W. Gentsch and J. H. Pope.
In an action brought by W. P. Davis shortly after the incorporation of the town, the court decreed that sections
22, 27, 28. the east half of section 20, the north half of section 21 and the southwest quarter of section 21 be
disconnected. The large area included in the original corporation was included in order to have within the limits
of the village the requisite number of signers for the granting of saloon license.
B. F. Evans, who arrived in Adams County March 26, 1873, and who now resides at 409 Saunders Avenue, Hastings,
selected the name of Roseland, which is the name of both township and town. A postoffice was established in the
home of Mr. Evans on the northeast quarter of section 22 a few years before there was a town at Roseland. Mr. Evans
was appointed postmaster August 19, 1875, and was given the privilege of naming the postoffice. A great many wild
roses grew in the vicinity at that time and Mr. Evans thought that it would be fitting that the word "rose"
should form a part of the name of the postoffice. He consulted the United States Directory of Postoffices and found
that there were a number of offices in which the name "rose" appeared. There were only three Roselands,
however, and this led to his selecting the name. So the Roseland postoffice was the fourth postoffice in the United
States to bear that name. Mr. Evans retained his homestead until 1914, when he disposed of it for $15,000.
The first child to be born in the vicinity of Roseland was Frances Boyd, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Boyd,
February 18, 1875. The first death was that of William Dieter, July 4, 1873.
It is the recollection of Mr. B. F. Evans that a child born to Mr. and Mrs. Peter Shade was the first child to
be born in Hastings. The Shades were of a party of Illinois folks who arrived in Hastings in 1873, early in the
spring, and went to Roseland Township to settle upon their homesteads. The child was born in the section house
of the St. Joseph & Denver City Railroad, March 29, 1873.
J. S. Richards opened the first general store in Roseland, in 1887. Mr. Richards moved the store building from
Ayr. J. H. Schmitz, now of Clay Center, but who is well known in Hastings as a carpenter, established the second
business house in the town. Mr. Schmitz built a new store building, shortly after Mr. Richards had established
his business, and stocked it with hardware. During 1887, also, W. F. Duncan and J. P. Duncan put up an elevator.
In 1888 an elevator was put up by Schwab & Pope. This firm was afterward Pope & Kapser, and later J. H.
Pope conducted the business alone. Air. Pope sold the elevator in 1902 to the corporation of farmers that still
operates the elevator. This corporation is another farmers' organization which has achieved notable success in
Adams County. The original organizers were Erick Johnson, Erick Larsen, B. F. Evans, Charles Johnson, Gottlieb
Fischer, A. W. Evans, and others. M. J. Stotzel has been the manager of this business for many years. Some years
this organization has paid a dividend of 10 per cent on the stock. In addition to grain, hogs are bought. Among
the earliest raisers of winter wheat in the vicinity of Roseland were A. W. Evans, J. S. Kendall and P. W. Warner.
The first wheat of this variety was sown about 1889.
J. S. Richards, who opened the first store, sold his general merchandise stock to E. F. Miller and F. A. Miller
about 1893. The business alone was sold and the Miller Bros. operated the store in the Richards Building. F. A.
Miller later disposed of his interest to Harve Walters. In after years Mr. Walters was a barber in Hastings, where
he died a few years ago. Harve Walters sold his interest in the business to Louis Eversman, who eventually sold
it to Irvin Martin, the present partner in the firm of Miller & Martin.
J. S. Richards, who had removed from Roseland upon selling his business to the Miller Bros., returned and reengaged
in business in his building. After conducting the business about a year, Mr. Richards sold it to his son in law,
Ed Joynt, selling the real estate with the business. Mr. Joynt then moved his own store building, in which he had
carried on business for some time, to the location he had acquired upon buying the Richards property. The Richards
store was then moved back, Mr. Joynt's original store becoming the front. It was about 1907 that Mr. Joynt sold
the business to Frank Hogg. Recently Ernest McCue has become the business partner of Mr. Hogg.
Frank Waugh erected a building and engaged in the confectionery business about 1893, and after conducting the business
a year or more, sold to Eugene Duncan, who operated the little store until his death early in 1894. In February,
1905, Solomon Flinger purchased the confectionery and restaurant business originated by Waugh, and shortly afterward
W. F. Duncan erected a store building on the second lot south of Mr. Favinger's location. Mr. Favinger moved into
the new building and opened a general merchandise business, which he conducted for nine years, when he sold the
business to & Walters. Before the return of Mr. Richards to Roseland the firm of Miller & Walters had moved
their stock of goods into the building erected by U. Englenian in 1888 for a saloon building.
The first hotel in Roseland was erected by Thomas Carter, who conducted it for many years. This building, which
was built shortly after the town was started, still stands.
H. H. Cherry conducted a general store in Roseland for a time, and was burned out in the early '90s.
The first postmaster, B. F. Evans, was succeeded by Alexander Rogers. Mr. Rogers was followed by U. Engleman, who
erected a small building in which lie conducted a hardware store in connection with the postoffice. Thomas Carter
was the next postmaster, and was followed by Rufus W. Lull. Mr. Lull put in a small stock of groceries and ran
the store as well as the postoffice. The grocery developed eventually into a general merchandise store which Mr.
Lull conducted until his death in December, 1894. Mrs. Delila Lull became postmistress after the death of her husband,
and was succeeded by Alfred W. Evans, the son of B. F. Evans. Mr. Evans died in December, 1905, and was succeeded
in the postoffice by his wife. The next postmasters were O. D. Barras, followed by Charles M. Caton, who served
until the appointment of the present postmaster, Robert G. Lynch.
A. H. Brooke, now of Hastings, conducted the first drug store in Roseland, opening in 1891. Mr. Brooke was in the
business through 1891 and 1892 and then disposed of the business to D. S. Phelps, now of Bladen.
School was opened for the first time in the Village of Roseland December 24, 1888. The completions of the school
building had delayed the opening so late in the year that it opened at the first opportunity, regardless of the
fact that the next day would be Christmas. The present county judge, John Snider, was principal of the school,
and Mrs. A. H. Brooke, of Hastings now, then Alice Baugh, was the primary teacher.
The Methodists and the United Brethren of the vicinity of Roseland united to build a church about 1883 on Solomon
Favinger's farm, 1 1/2 miles southwest of Roseland. Not very long after the town was established they moved the
church house into the village. In about ten years the Methodists secured a building from a disbanded Methodist
congregation in the country and moved the building to Roseland. This building is the present church home of the
denomination. The United Brethren disbanded and the church which they had previously owned jointly with the Methodists
was bought by J. V. Beardsley and wrecked in 1915.
Will Maupin conducted a newspaper for about six months in the early days of Roseland. For several years prior to
his death the Roseland Gazette was conducted by Alfred W. Evans.
August 25, 1913, the stores of Miller & Martin, Roth Bros., and Frank Miller were destroyed by fire. In that
year brick buildings were erected to replace the loss by Roth Bros., who conduct a hardware, furniture and undertaking
business, Miller & Martin, and Dr. J. L. Mace.
The town hall, a brick structure, was completed in December, 7912. It was built by the corporation of Roseland.
Roseland has electric lights, a privately owned plant. The Roseland Electric Light Company was incorporated December
15, 1913, with a capital stock of $10,000, the corporation to terminate December 15, 1938. The incorporators were
Gus Bourg, William F. Duncan, John B. Roth and Irvin Martin.
A. S. Richards, who started the first mercantile business in Roseland, died at Ayr, February 20, 1905.