BUCKEYE VALLEY - BUTLER
Buckeye Valley is in Valley Township, and the first settlement in Buckeye Valley was by Col. W. T. Beatty and
George Simpkins, in 1873; W. R. Wheeler, in 1874; J. B. Wheeler, George E. Fredericks, T. Q. George, O. Knepper,
in 1878, and William Trivelpiece, in 1879.Col. Win. T. Beatty was a native of Ohio and gave to the valley its name,
On March 5, 1879, County Superintendent John Swenson organized a school district, No. 49.
A school house was erected in which a Sabbath school was held, this about the year 1880, Rev. J. Marsh here organized
a "class" of the Methodist Church, and Mr. Marsh also held regular preaching service in the schoolhouse.
In the early '80's a Grange was organized, which flourished for many years, this being the last of the Grange organizations
of that date in the county to surrender its charter.
A postoffice was established named "Butler," and which was continued until the establishment of rural
It is recalled that a very successful fair was held at Butler, with considerable exhibits of live stock and farm
Mr. George C. Lunger kindly furnishes the following history of the organization of the United Brethren Church at
The first Sabbath school in Buckeye Valley was organized May 30, 1880, at schoolhouse No. 49, with Rev. O. Knepper
Rev. O. Knepper also preached each Sunday after Sunday school and occasionally in the evening for a period of two
The Butler class of the United Brethren Church in Christ was organized under the pastorate of Rev. John Green in
September, 1884, with the following charter members: O. Knepper, Mrs. Emma H. Knepper, Henry C. Kriegel, Mrs. Elizabeth
Fliegel, Jobnathan Stearns, Mrs. Mary Stearns, Mrs. N. Woodhull and several others.
At an expense of $915 a church building was erected and dedicated April 24, 1898, by Bishop J. S. Mills, the pastor
at that date being Rev. A. L. Zimmerman, and the trustees George C. Lunger, Wm. Trivelpiece, O. Knepper, H. C.
Fliegel and Peter Gillming.
The pastors serving this church from the beginning have been O. Knepper, John Green, H. S. Munger, J. M. Waters,
J. Bremser, W. S. Fields, T. B. Cannon, Wm. Thompson, C. J. Bohart, A. L. Zimmerman, Wm. Tooley, A. Boyd, W. C.
Miller, L. L. Epley, W. C. Arnold, Reverend Mr. Spahr, J. Mason, Walter Smith and C. E. Harrington.
This church disorganized in 1915, and the church building was sold to the Buckeye Valley Grange, and is now (1916)
being used as a Grange hall.
A Methodist Church was organized at Butler and a church building erected, but a history of the church is not available
for this history.