March 14, 1855, Tekamah was incorporated as a city by an act of the first territorial legislature of Nebraska
in the following language: "Be it enacted by the House of Representatives of the Territory of Nebraska that
section one as surveyed and platted by William N. Byers, surveyor of the Nebraska Stock Company, containing six
hundred and forty acres of land together with all the additions that may hereafter be made, according to law, is
hereby declared to be a city by the name of Tekamah. Approved March 14, 1855."
The town received its name in a peculiar way, the manner of which was described by Col. B. R. Folsom in his diary
of his activities with the townsite company. According to the diary, when the decision had been reached to make
this location the permanent camp preliminary to a settlement, the problem arose as to what to call the place. It
was finally agteed that members of the little band should write their favorite name on a slip of paper and drop
it in a hat, the first name drawn out to be the name decided upon. The first name drawn was "Tekamah,"
it had been written by the surveyor, William Byers. Mr. Folsom had written "Attica" in honor of his home
city back in New York state, but no such reason could be accredited to Mr. Byers. Just why he wrote Tekamah, or
how he got the name has never been ascertained, as no other town in the United States ever had that name up to
that time, nor has it today, it exclusively belongs to this Burt county town. An Indian translation says Tekamah
means "big cottonwoods," and this is suggestive, because of large cottonwood trees that for years were
along the banks of Tekamah creek and scattered over this territory. Another translation obtained from research
books says the name "Teka-mah" comes from the Egyptian or Arabic language and means "bloody battlefield."
Reference books claim that centuries ago many tribes of Indians met in conflict together with a pale faced foe
in this valley and the description brings part of this field of conflict onto territory now occupied by Tekamah,
it is strange to relate. It is a well known fact that digging on practically any lot in Tekamah and nearby territory
will uncover bones ranging in size from small bits to skulls and other pieces of human skeletons. During the early
years following the settlement many of these bones were to be found upon the top of the ground showing the bodies
evidently had never been buried. The translation in either language probably is correct as there is evidence enough
So much of the early history of Tekamah is associated with the foundation of Burt county, as contained in a preceeding
chapter, that to give it here would be only a duplication. Tekamah was all there was to Burt county for a period
of time and around this settlement everything rotated. It was not until after the Civil War when settlers began
locating on homesteads further west that the town began to have an individuality apart from the rest of the county.
The first school was taught in Tekamah, in 1857. It was also the first in the county. Mrs. W. B. Newton and J.
R. Conkling claim the honor of being the first school teacher. The first school was held in a little log cabin
owned by Peter Kettleson. It stood on ground now occupied by the Mitten-Nesbit brick block near thirteenth and
Tekamah's first bank was established in 1857 and was known as the "Bank of Tekamah." It was one of the
famous "wild cat" banks scattered throughout the western part of the country for a number of years preceeding
the Civil War. The Bank of Tekamah was financed by parties in Louisville, Kentucky and New Albany, Indiana, and
was capitalized for about $150,000. This was in the years when banks of this nature issued its own script, most
of which was worthless. Paper money was issued bearing the name "Bank of Tekamah" thereon and it was
scattered throughout this territory. The safe for the bank was hauled from Ft. Calhoun, by ox team and placed in
a frame building built for that purpose two blocks north of what is now Folsom Park. It was situated upon land
near where the Gammel residence now stands. L. L. Campbell was president, F. M. Akin, cashier and Tobe Hight of
Bloomington, Indiana, assistant cashier. Hight was sent out by the promoters to take charge of the bank. Banks
of this "wild cat" kind were placed as far as possible from the parent bank so that by the time the script
got back to them it would be closed. Sometimes several years elapsed before the script arrived to be redeemed in
real money. The Tekamah bank lasted for about live years. Hight, the assistant cashier became well acquainted with
the early settlers who put faith in his bank and deposited several hundred dollars of their hard earned cash in
his vaults. When Hight received word from his banker friends in Kentucky, to close up the bank, he went from one
little store to another and told the citizens he was going to close up the bank and for them to come and get their
money at once. This was done and Hight returned to Indiana. By having a man of such calibre in charge of the bank,
the Tekamah pioneers did not lose like many others in this western country as a result of wild cat banking. Following
the Civil War, the government began a new system of banking, putting it on a more solid foundation thus safeguarding
The little settlement thrived and new settlers kept arriving until 1861 when the Civil War put an end to immigration
for the duration of the war. Some families moved back to their homes in eastern states while many of the men left
and joined the ranks of the Union army. Conditions remained practically at a standstill until the early seventies
when as the result of the soldiers homestead law and the building of the Union Pacific and other lines of road
the west again began to attract immigrants. In 1870 the Presbyterians built and completed the first church building
in Tekamah and Burt county. In 1873 a church building was erected for the Methodists with a seventy five foot tower.
The year 1873 was known to the early settlers as the "boom year". Close to thirty five residences were
built that year aside from several frame store buildings. Two brick blocks, two stories high were completed.
In 1873 a two story frame school house was built by J. R. Sutherland and Sanford West. It stood just west of the
present high' school building. Bascom H. Robison was the first superintendent and remained in that capacity for
the next five years. The first class to graduate from a high school in the county was from that building in 1884,
when D. B. Huston was superintendent. The members of the first graduating class were Miss Lillie Thomas and her
two sisters, Mrs. Clara Thomas-Van Nostrand and Mary Fullen-Lewis. Of these, Miss Lillie Thomas survives and still
lives in Tekamah; the first alumni was organized in the J. R. Thomas house, June 21, 1884. In 1882 a two story
brick schoolhouse was built in the south part of the city, to be known as the "grammar school". It was
located on 11th and I streets. The Spielman home made out of material of that building now occupies that site.
In 1892 another grade school was opened. This was in the building vacated the year previous by the Presbyterians
when they moved into their present edifice. The building stood just north of the present location of the church.
The brick school house as well as this one were vacated in 1900 when the present high school building was opened
for use. The little frame church school building was sold to the Advents, who moved it a half block west on L street
and used it for religious purposes and parochial school. During the interval between the first graduating class
and that of 1929, eight hundred and eleven students have been graduated. Of this number, two hundred and eight
were boys and five hundred and twenty nine were girls, who comprise the alumni. They are scattered in twenty three
states aside from the District of Columbia, Canal Zone, Hawaii, the Philippines, Haiti, China and Canada. Twenty
teachers now make up the faculty.
The Burt County State Bank was organized in 1873 as a private bank owned and operated by Henry M. Hopewell and
Wellington Harrington. It was first located in the brick building now occupied by the H. & H. store on south
thirteenth street. In 1883 it moved to its present location, two blocks north. In 1892 it was incorporated as "The
Burt County State Bank" with R. L. Adams, president; H. S. M. Spielman, vice president, and H. M. Hopewell,
cashier. In 1914, R. K. Hancock purchased an interest in the institution and became assistant cashier. In 1918,
his brother, Warren D. Hancock and himself purchased the interests of Mr. Hopewell, W. D. Hancock becoming president
and R. K. Hancock, cashier. Erwin Caldwell upon his return from service in the World War became assistant cashier.
The bank helped many to survive the panic and hard times.
The First National Bank was established in 1877 as a private bank under the name of Latta & Hopewell, the Burt
County Bank. It occupied a little frame building upon the same location as its present brick block which was built
in 1881. In 1890 it was reorganized as the First National Bank of Tekamah with J. P. Latta as president. He retained
that position until his death in 1911, when his son Ed. Latta was advanced to that position and continued in that
capacity until the bank came under the present management in 1916. Under the direction of J. P. Latta and Ed. Latta,
the bank was of great value to the pioneers and many were able to retain their farms and business and "make
good" who otherwise would have been forced to quit. The present officers are Robert I. Stout, president; E.
C. Houston, vice president; H. J. Wragge, cashier. The directors are: R. I. Stout, E. C. Houston, Fred Morehouse,
H. J. Wragge, Herbert Rhoades.
The Farmers State Bank was organized in November, 1905, and opened for business on December 7th. The first officers
were C. W. Conkling, president; Dr. A. D. Nesbit, vice president; R. G. Nesbit, cashier. The directors, R. J. Mitten,
W. B. Newton, C. W. Conkling and D. W. Greenleaf. In 1923 the bank absorbed the Tekamah State Bank which was started
in 1919 in the Cornish block. The present officers are D. W. Greenleaf, president; L. S. LaRue, vice president;
A. M. Anderson, cashier. The bank has since its beginning occupied quarters in the Mitten-Nesbit brick block.
From the early days Tekamah has had a newspaper to assist in its progress. The first newspaper, in 1856, was known
as the Tekamah Times. It was published in Council Bluffs, Iowa, for B. R. Folsom, who used it for promotion purposes
back in eastern states. All the news was sent from Tekamah to Council Bluffs and the paper mailed from that place.
The first newspaper printed in Tekamah, was the Burt County Pilot, by J. Y. Lambert in 1871. In 1874 it was moved
to Blair. The Burtonian was started in 1873 by George P. Hall, after changing ownership several times it was junked
in 1901, and the material divided between the Burt County Herald and the Tekamah Journal then in existence. The
Tekamah Democrat was started in 1876 by J. C. Foley as a bonus paper and lasted but one year. The Tekamah Advocate
came in 1877 with George Musgrove as owner, who sold it to J. R. Sutherland. It was moved to Oakland in 1882 by
George Brewster and renamed the Independent. The Burt County Herald was started by N. J. Sheckell in 1884, it was
sold to W. H. Korns in 1888 then to J. R. Sutherland in 1894, when Korns became postmaster. The Tekamah Journal
was established by Charles M. Conger and Chas. K. Ott in 1899, sold by Van V. Boyce in 1922 to J. R. Sutherland
and son D. C. Sutherland, owners of the Burt County Herald, who consolidated it with that paper. Van Boyce bought
half interest the following year and upon his removal to California in 1924, sold his interest to W. S. Barker,
who in 1929 sold it to the Ludi Printing Company of Wahoo, who later the same year sold it to Walt Rogers and son.
The Burt County Democrat was established in 1915 by D. L. Crellen as a bonus paper sold to G. L. Jordan, who run
it a year and sold it in 1917 to the Herman Record. The Burt County Herald thus remains the only newspaper out
of this multitude to survive.
To further the advancement of literary lines, through the cooperation of the citizens and the Tekamah Womans Club,
a fifteen thousand dollar Carnegie library building was built in 1912, the only one in the county.
The Burt County Agricultural Society was organized in 1872. Fairs were held each succeeding year for thirty
one years in Tekamah on grounds now used as an athletic park in Tekamah. It proved to be one of the big fairs in
this section of Nebraska. Its exhibits multiplied each succeeding year in quality and quantity. In state exhibits
it won gold medals for three successive years and was barred from future competition, so under the management of
its secretary, J. R. Sutherland, an exhibit was sent to the World's Fair in Chicago, here it won first honors and
medals above all other states and in competition with the world. The county fair gradually lessened in interest
due to the farmers institutes held during the winter months and was abandoned altogether in 1903. The Tekamah Speed
Association then came into being and used the track and grounds exclusively for horseracing which was conducted
for the next twenty years. It gained reputation as the fastest track in the middle west and its annual racing events
were on mid west circuits with the larger cities, bringing horses from all parts of the country for the three and
four day meetings. It proved to be the greatest amusement attraction ever held here, but with the coming of the
automobile, interest waned and the association abandoned further meetings in 1915.
One of the earliest industries aside from agricultural products was the establishment of a canning factory costing
ten thousand dollars, in Tekamah. It operated in 1886 and 1887, when as high as fifty eight cars of canned corn
and tomatoes were shipped to eastern markets. Then due to mismanagement the cooperative concern went to pieces.
The use of clay in the manufacture of brick from the soil adjoining Tekamah was early found to be of good quality
and a brick yard of one kind or another was here from time to time, supplying the needs of the community and nearby
towns. Today a one hundred thousand dollar plant, three miles west of town, owned by the Smith Brick Co., is one
of the largest in Nebraska. It has a payroll of five hundred dollars per week and ships train loads of brick throughout
Nebraska and Iowa. During the first six months in 1929 fifty eight car loads were shipped to Omaha alone. It is
the biggest industry in Burt county outside of agriculture and livestock. Raising Geavel in the hills near Tekamah
has proved of value in balasting tracks and for surfacing highways and other commercial purposes.
The brick block known for many years as "The Merchants Hotel Block" was built in 1880, the Odd Fellow
block in 1881, the First National block in 1881, the brick occupied by the Schafer & Peck furniture store in
1882, the Burt County State Bank building in 1883, the Masonic Temple building in 1884.
Lake Quinnebaugh, the summer resort located about fifteen miles northeast of Tekamah has for years been the popular
retreat for many people. It receives its supply of water from the Missouri river and has been stocked with fish
by the state and made a state fish preserve. A large island is used as well as the main land for cottages and tents.
The lake received its name many years after it was used as a pleasure resort. In search for a name for the place
in the late nineties, Mrs. Eva Thomason-Hopewell suggested the Indian name "Quinnebaugh" and this has
clung to the place since that time. The lake was originally the channel of the river, in the meandering of the
stream it left this big lake. The island left by the river was known as "Holman Island" and "Holman
Lake" because a man by that name lived there. A hotel, store, cottages and bath house, all lighted with electricity,
afford comfort. There are several camps extended along the lake both on the mainland and island.
Business blocks and residences continued to be built from time to time during the years that we might call the
present time, so will not be chronicled here. Surfice to say it has been steady and in keeping with the development
of the surrounding farming community.
The first telephone line was built into Tekamah, October 28, 1896, by the Bell Telephone Company, connecting the
city with Omaha, forty two miles away. The first telephone was hung on a telephone pole, from which place the first
message was sent. The long distance phone was located in a store. In the summer of 1899, telephones were installed
in fifty seven residences and on November 20, 1899, the first telephone system in Tekamah went into operation.
The first switchboard was located in the home of Miss Pearl Fullen, who was the first resident manager. The location
of the "central office" was adjoining the First National Bank building on the north, now the site of
the Tunberg Market. In this present time of 1929, Tekamah has a modern system of telephone equipment of the common
battery plan, the same as is used in the metropolitan cities, while practically every residence has a phone as
well as farm house.
The city water system was laid in 1889. The first electric plant was a private enterprise, owned by W. H. Glasson.
He was given a franchise to furnish the city and residences with light in 1899. The city later voted bonds and
built its own municipal plant, which continued until 1929, when it was sold to the Iowa-Nebraska Light & Power
Company for a hundred thousand dollars. A drainage system extending some twenty miles north and south on the low
lands east of Tekamah was built through the cooperation of the land owners and Tekamah business interests. This
cost about three quarters of a million dollars. It reclaimed thousands of acres of land that was previously too
wet to cultivate for reason it laid beneath lake beds or swamp land. The ditch system was later extended by Washington
county adjoining Burt county on the south, and the farmers banded themselves together under the title of the Burt-Washington
Drainage District. This concern maintains the ditches each succeeding year. Tekamah has developed into the largest
shipping point between Omaha and Sioux City, on the Northwestern Line. The following number of cars were shipped
out of here during 1928: 500 cars of grain, 225 cars of alfalfa, 550 cars of hogs, 300 cars of cattle, 30,000 head
of sheep, 26,000 cases of eggs, $100,000 worth of cream, 260 cars of brick, making the value of shipments more
than $2,850,000. Banking deposits in the three banks are close to two million dollars. The city has a tourist park,
three city parks, an athletic park, a nine hole golf course, $100,000 court house, $85,000 high school building,
$15,000 Carnegie Library building, $15,000 Northwestern station, $50,000 Methodist church, besides costly business
blocks and residences.
Tekamah is situated on the transcontinental highway, known as the George Washington National Highway, extending
from Savannah, Georgia to Seattle, Washington, which brings thousands of tourists through here every year. The
population is over two thousand according to the last general election voting average. With Omaha forty two miles
distant on the south and Sioux City, sixty five miles away on the north, its graveled highway conveniences, are
the equal of any city. From the claim stakes driven seventy five years ago, October 7, 1854, has grown an enduring
momument to the pioneer settlers.
The First Baptist Church of Tekamah was organized in 1858 through the efforts of Rev. J. M. Taggart, a missionary
of the American Baptist Home Mission Society. His home was at Fontenelle, Nebraska, and his labors for the most
part were among the towns along the Missouri river. The church was organized in Tekamah, with George M. Peterson
and wife. Mrs. Halver Pettleson, Peter F. Peterson and wife, Mrs. Isaac Gibson and Mr. and Mrs. S. D. Cornelius
as the constituent members thereof, at the home of Mr. S. D. Cornelius, who was elected as the first clerk of the
church, which position he held for fourteen years.
George M. Peterson was the first deacon followed later by Austin Nelson, Peter F. Peterson, E. I. Parmelee and
The church held its services until 1874 in private homes or in school houses within the vicinity of Tekamah, Arizona
and Silver Creek.
Rev. J. D. P. Hungate was the second pastor of the church from 1860 to 1864 but lived at Blair during that pastorate
and was followed for about two years by Rev. Whitesides as pastor. Rev. I. C. Jones homesteaded on Silver Creek
and became the first resident pastor in 1867, preaching in homes of members and in school houses of Tekamah, Silver
Creek and Arizona precincts.
R. B. Daley, then farming on West Silver Creek, was ordained in 1872 and served as pastor for two years after which
Rev. J. D. P. Hungate entered upon his second pastorate continuing for five years during which time services were
held by special arrangements in the churches of the Presbyterians and Methodists.
No church building was erected until the main part of the present church was erected in Tekamah and dedicated on
July 2, 1882, during the pastorate of Rev. C. H. Holden at which time the Baptist Sunday School was organized,
Dea. Austin Nelson serving as superintendent.
By 1887 full time service of Pastor T. L. Crandall was provided for and in 1892 Pastor F. E. Hudson led in the
addition of Sunday school rooms and organized the Baptist Young Peoples Union work of the church and the work of
the Juniors. In 1899 during the pastorate of Rev. H. J. Dunton the parsonage was erected and during the pastorate
of Rev. John Williams the east rooms of the church were added for use of Sunday school and Baptist Young Peoples
Growth and spiritual development of the church has shown the distinctive work of the twenty nine pastorates, the
organic structure of the church, as provided for in a constitution, having been given special attention during
the present pastorate of Rev. H. H. Gunderson.
During the seventy years existence of the church, the hundreds of members identified with it for longer or shorter
periods have accomplished much in this community and elsewhere in soul winning, Christian testimony, teaching and
fellowship, besides the contribution made by them to society and the state.
Of the present resident membership who united with the church prior to 1900 are Mrs. Hattie E. Hopewell, Mrs. Clara
E. Conkling, Mrs. Lena Batchelder, Mrs. Eva T. Hopewell, Mrs. Anna Fausset, Mrs. William Freeman, J. R. Foree,
Mrs. Myrta Golly, Mrs. R. E. Elliott, Melvin Moore, Miss Florence E. Hopewell, Mrs. Eli Bowden, Walter M. Hopewell,
Mrs. Calvin Sackett.
This organization is the pioneer in religious denominations, in Burt county and Tekamah, tracing its beginning
back to the fall of 1858 when the Rev. Henry Welthy Kuhns, traveling missionary, stopped at the home of Mr. and
Mrs. Michael Olinger, who came to Tekamah in 1855. Rev. Kuhns' territory consisted of that section of the country
west of the Missouri river now comprising the states of Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho,
Montana and the lands as far north as the Dominion of Canada. The first little organization of Lutherans of six
or seven members comprised principally the Olinger family and this remained so for several years.
In 1860 plans were laid for the erection of a church building and a subscription paper circulated. Sixteen lots
were given by Col. B. R. Folsom and a like number from G. P. Thomas, but no money, others donated labor of various
kinds when needed. Rev. Kuhns attended the Alleghany synod later that year and made a plea for funds. He was able
to dispose of several of the lots for five and ten dollars apiece and returned with $50 for the building fund.
More funds were in time secured and in 1861 the frame work was put up only to be blown down during a wind storm,
followed by a prairie fire which burned the wreckage. In 1864 Rev. J. F. Kuhlman came onto the field and continued
until 1870 assisting in this section of Nebraska the work of Rev. Kuhns. In 1867 another building was started only
to meet the same fate of the first when it was destroyed by a wind storm. The third attempt to build was in 1868
but no more than the foundation was completed but the following year the building was enclosed to the roof, but
fate again intervened and the church edifice was laid flat by a hurricane in March of that year. Undaunted, the
Lutherans again took heart and in 1878 planned for another building and this time it was completed, and dedicated
September 12, 1880. Rev. J. W. Kimmel was the first resident pastor coming here in 1879. Twenty one pastors have
ministered to the congregation, not including several supplies. The present pastor is the Rev. L. H. Steinhoff,
a native of Colorado, and graduate of Western Theological Seminary at Fremont, Nebraska, under whose guidance the
work is continuing to glow and prosper.
Some of the pioneer members of this denomination were: Mr. and Mrs. Michael Olinger, James R. Olinger, Sarah A.
Crannell, Mary H. Olinger, Mrs. Mae Wilson Willert, Rufus B. Bates, Laura D. Bates, Rosanna Goll, Mrs. Dr. McLaughlin,
Oliver Kettleson, Peter Kunkel, Belle Olinger, Julia Hansen and Henry J. Olinger.
In 1925, the church building was remodeled, enlarged and redecorated to the worship of God. The new building was
a gift to the congregation from Mrs. George A. Crannell, as a memorial to her pioneer parents, Mr. and Mrs. Michael
Olinger. The minister who preached the dedicatory sermon was the Rev. Dr. Luther M. Kuhns, a son of the Rev. Henry
Welthy Kuhns, who held the first Lutheran services here in 1858. Mrs. Crannell also presented the church with a
splendid pipe organ. Memorial stained glass windows and church furniture were gifts from other members. The congregation
whose forebearers had endured so many hardships now occupy a church edifice second to none in the city.
The Methodist Episcopal church dates its origin from the year 1856, when a circuit rider stopped here and held
a service and perfected a sort of organization. In 1857 it was reorganized by Rev. Jacob Adriance, a circuit rider
who covered territory in this section of the state. A class was organized with eleven members in May of that year.
It doubled during the year, and the first sermon was preached in the home of Col. B. R. Folsom. During the early
years following, some of the ablest preachers of that faith came here to hold services. In 1873 the Rev. W. G.
Olinger erected a church building at his own expense for the Methodists. He was later reimbursed for the generous
act by the state board of the church. This building was at first called "Unity Chapel" and was located
in the northwest part of the city, at fifteenth and 0 streets. Rev. Olinger served as pastor for several years.
With some improvements, this building was used until 1916, when due to the project launched by the Rev. D. W. MacGregor,
then pastor, with the cooperation of the members and friends of the church, a brick edifice costing in the neighborhood
of fifty thousand dollars, was built down town at fourteenth and L streets. This has become a "community center"
for the holding of all gatherings in union services and the spacious banquet rooms in the basement for similar
purposes. The building was dedicated December 17, 1917, during the pastorate of the Rev. A. S. Buell, who later
accepted a call to Boston, Mass. Some of the ablest ministers in the country have served in the pastorates in the
Tekamah church. The Rev. D. A. McCullough is now pastor of the church.
The First Presbyterian Church was the first church building to be erected in Tekamah and Burt county, and the first
to be occupied by that denomination in Nebraska, north of Omaha. The Presbyterian denomination was organized in
October 1869, by the Rev. George R. Carroll, missionary of the synod whose boundaries extended as far west as the
Rocky mountains. C. K. Conger was the only male Presbyterian in the settlement and he was ordained as an elder.
Mrs. Conger and her three daughters also became members, the last three are the only living charter members of
that early day church. They are: Mrs. J. R. Sutherland in Tekamah; Mrs. P. T. Ludwick in Los Angeles, Calif.; and
Mrs. Caroline Hawks in Chloride, Arizona. The other charter members were: Mrs. Hannah Wallace, Mrs. Abbie Cochrin
and her mother, Mrs. Goodwin. Mr. Conger attended General Assembly in Chicago, as a commissioner while the building
campaign was in progress, in hopes of securing funds to assist in the noble and glorious cause, he obtained two
silver dollars and with this donation he purchased a Bible for the pulpit. Rev. Jeremiah B. Long was the first
resident pastor for the little settlement of less than fifty people. The membership grew as the years passed, and
in Sept. 1890 the congregation dedicated and moved into a commodious new building. The structure enlarged in 1925
to meet the growing membership. Fifteen ministers have occupied the pulpit. The present minister is the Rev. Dr.
J. Frank Reed, who came from the Morningside Presbyterian church in Sioux City after fourteen years of service
St. Patrick's Catholic church dates its origin from 1889. The Rev. D. W. Moriarty came from Omaha and continued
to hold services in the home of a section boss of the C. St. P. M. & O. railroad until 1894. A small church
was then erected at eleventh and N streets. The Rev. James Barreth, pastor at Blair, was in charge until 1900,
when it was made a mission of the parish church at Lyons with Rev. Hugh Gately as pastor. In 1918, Tekamah was
made a parish with Decatur as Mission. The Rev. P. W. Burke was the first resident pastor. In 1921 the Rev. Joseph
A. Aughney was appointed resident pastor here and has continued to serve in that capacity and is in charge of the
church at the present time. In 1928 a commodious new church edifice was erected under the guidance of the pastor,
who had succeeded in increasing its membership and activity. The building was dedicated to worship by the Rt. Rev.
Francis Beckman, D. D., of Lincoln, Neb., assisted by many visiting clergymen.