The opening of Union College near Lincoln provided the means and opportunity for the establishment of the Town
of College View. Since the time of the founding of the school College View has had a fairly large growth. Most
of the population is composed of members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church, although in recent years numbers
of people have moved in here belonging to other churches and societies have been formed by them.
Besides being the home of Union College, College View has the Nebraska Sanitarium, which has been there for twenty
years. All kinds of curable diseases are treated at the sanitarium, which employs a staff of sixty, including forty
five nurses. Many of the methods used at the Battle Creek sanitarium are in use here. At the head of the staff
is Dr. J. D. Shively.
The Bank of College View was organized in the year 1906. James Schee is the president; J. H. Morrison, vice president;
and S. J. Quantock, cashier. The capital stock is $25,000.00; the surplus $12,000.00; and the deposits amount to
$85,000.00. P. B. Quantock is the assistant cashier.
The public library at College View was provided for in 1914-15 by a gift of $7,500.00 by Andrew Carnegie.
INTERNATIONAL BRANCH OF THE PACIFIC PRESS PUBLISHING ASSOCIATION,
The foreign work done by this publishing house was formerly done by the Review and Herald in Battle Creek, Michigan,
but when their main office was burned in December, 1902, it was decided to move the German, Danish-Norwegian and
Swedish papers to College View, in order to cooperate with the strong departments in these languages in Union College.
For a time the small college printing office endeavored to do the work, but as their facilities were inadequate,
the International Publishing Association was organized in the fall of 1903. The General Conference issued a call
for funds to establish this foreign printing plant, a collection being taken in all of the churches the first Sabbath
in February, 1904. About three thousand dollars was thus secured, which was sufficient to purchase and set up a
small building for that purpose, with a lot 78 by 15o feet in size. This original building had formerly been used
as a store and formed the two story part of the building now occupied. During the summer of 1904 a new cylinder
press and other facilities were added, so that at the first annual meeting in September, 19o4, the total value
of the property and furnishings was about ten thousand dollars, nearly all being paid for.
The same year the institution purchased from the Review and Herald their entire stock of foreign books, tracts
and pamphlets, for $12,000.00, giving notes in payment for the same. As the burden of paying these notes and keeping
up a stock of subscription books was heavier than the institution could well carry, the Pacific Press offered to
take over the foreign subscription books for $8,000.00. This was done and they assumed the payment of notes to
the Review and Herald amounting to $8,000.00. This step connected the Pacific Press in a definite and substantial
way with the foreign publishing work, which had developed remarkably since that time. This was a great relief to
the International Publishing Association, and left with them the responsibility of publishing only the foreign
papers, trade books, pamphlets and tracts.
The College View plant was considerably enlarged in the fall of 1907 by building a large addition to the first
floor, making the entire building sixty six by ninety six feet in size. More room was thus provided for the type
room, and the size of the press room was increased to give room for a new Miehle press which was purchased at this
time. A large room was added for the bindery, which had been operated for a year in rented rooms. A steam heating
plant was installed to take the place of the hot air furnace previously used. These improvements, and the linotype
machine purchased in the spring of 1910, put the office in excellent shape for doing the work that was required.
In 1910 the publication of attractive quarterly magazines in German, Danish-Norwegian and Swedish was begun. A
similar magazine in Russian is now being published, and they will be issued in other languages as the demand arises.
The bindery was provided with limited facilities for binding even the large subscription books in the various bindings,
and the Pacific Press turned over the printing and binding of several good jobs of this kind, among which may be
mentioned "Thoughts on Daniel and Revelation" in Danish and Swedish, and "Practical Guide to Health"
In August, 1914. the International Board came to the conclusion that stronger and better work could be done by
the institution if it should be taken over by one of the large English publishing houses, with a preference for
the Pacific Press. A memorial was sent to the president of the North American Division Conference, requesting that
the matter be given consideration at the council to convene in October. The council requested that the Pacific
Press Publishing Association give favorable consideration to this transfer of the institution on the basis of an
appraisement to be made by J. J. Ireland, the general conference auditor. The deal was satisfactorily arranged
and the College View plant is now known as the International Branch of the Pacific Press Publishing Association.