Located about four miles from the heart of the City of Lincoln is the Town of Havelock, the home of the Burlington
Railroad shops and the center of a hustling industrial community. In the late '80s G. G. Smith, W. J. Johnson,
O. Master and Dr. J. A. Scott came to the site of Havelock and each erected a building, built of frame and very
small. One account has it that the first frame house in the village was built by Charles A. Holderness in 1891,
but this seems to be a little late. The marriage of Nellie Holderness and Lester Gleason was the first in the town
and the birth of their child was the first also. By 1892 the following buildings had been erected on the site:
the Lancaster Block, the Walton Block, the Holliett House, the Dullenty House, "The Ark," the Headley
Building and Arnett's Building in which the owner had a barber shop.
On May 6, 1893, the Town of Havelock was incorporated with the following first officers: Dr. C. F. Ballard, chairman,
J. E. Hutchinson, Charles S. Saberhagen, George Anderson, H. B. Kepner, board of trustees; Sam Hinkle, clerk; O.
C. Smith, treasurer; C. M. Copp, attorney; and F. C. Perkins. marshal. The land on which the Town of Havelock is
situated was given by the Lancaster Land Company to the Burlington Railroad for the location of the shops at this
place. The town was named after Gen John Havelock, of English army fame. Elder Miller formerly owned the land which
was donated to the railroad. A. E. Loughlin was the head of the Burlington at the time of the land transfer, which
deal comprised 200 acres.
In the '80s the little railroad station of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad was moved from Denton, a
mile east, to the spot where it now stands. Later it was decided to locate the repair and manufacturing shops of
the western division of the railroad at this point, plans were drafted and a plat of the shops made, together with
that of the proposed village. The first dirt was turned for the machine shop in June, 1890, an appropriation of
$275,000.00 having been voted by the road directors for that purpose. The shop, which was 400 by 13o feet, was
completed in one year. On June 13, 1892, work was begun on a new shop. Later a blacksmith shop was constructed
east of the former and in 1893 a boiler shop was put up. This was about all of the building at the shops until
1910 when the sum of $2,000,000.00 was spent in new buildings. From forty workmen at the start the force has now
grown to about eight hundred. The presence of the shops in the town has been the incentive to growth, until now
it is the second largest town in the county. Most every line of business is represented in Havelock to care for
the needs of the army of workmen employed there. Half hour electric car service to the City of Lincoln is given.
The Farmers and Merchants Bank of Havelock was organized in 1900 by W. R. Johnson, president; G. G. Smith, vice
president; H. K. Frantz, cashier; and A. W. Butler and Emil Berlet. These men became the first board of directors.
In April, 1907, new owners took charge of the institution and the officers elected were: Fred Whittemore, president;
J. A. Espegren, vice president; V. F. Hoffman, cashier; and F. R. Beebe, assistant cashier. The officers are the
same at present, with the exception of E. Anderson, vice president, and M. Malone, assistant cashier. The capital
stock is $15,000.00; the surplus $88,000.00.
The First National Bank of Havelock was organized as the Citizens State Bank on May 18, 1909, with a capital of
$20,000.00, and occupying a small brick building on the south side of Main Street. Emil Berlet was the president;
A. F. Ackerman, vice president; and F. R. Beebe, cashier. On May 9, 1910, the name was changed to the First National
Bank, with a capital of $25,000.00, with the same officers as before. The present officers are: J. H. Patterson,
president; J. W. Hitchcock, vice president; E. E. Andrews, cashier; J. L. Biddlecom, assistant cashier. W. F. Ackerman,
Charles Hall and E. I. Andrews complete the board of directors.
The Havelock Electric Light Company was incorporated May 6, 1907, by F. H. Wheeler, J. A. Aspegren, C. F. Ballard,
Cornelius Moran, H. M. Eaton and C. O. Johnson. The Havelock Gas Company was incorporated February 11, 1902, by
V. F. Hoffman, Archie Adams, E. E. Schuler, C. L. Hempel, E. E. Anderson, F. B. Young, F. L. Sumpter, John Reenan
and Fred Krochler.
The Havelock Post, an independent weekly, was established in 1911 and is published by Will C. Israel, with a circulation
of 1,440. The Havelock Times, published by Dan Campbell, Jr., was established in 1890. The paper is independent
democratic and has a circulation of 1,400.
A new feature of the Town of Havelock, which will be erected shortly, is the new $15,000.00 high school building.
The election held for the erection of this building carried in favor of the proposition by 348 to 82.