OTHER LANCASTER COUNTY TOWNS
The small Village of Cheney is located on section 26. in Grant Precinct, located on the Chicago, Burlington
& Quincy Railroad, The townsite was platted by Joel Converse in the year 1874 and the plat filed for record
at the county seat on July t3th of the same year, The Town of Cheney has grown to be a good agricultural business
community and is popular with the farmers of the vicinity, The Bank of Cheney is an institution started in the
latter part of 1909 with a capital stock of $10,000, Charles Marshall, J. L. Marshall. J. A, Harlan, W. G. Bullock.
John T. Marshall and R: W, Marshall were interested in the inception of this bank. The present officers are: Charles
Marshall, president; John T. Marshall, vice president; W. G. Bullock, cashier, The capital remains at $10,000;
the surplus is S2,300; and the deposits are S40,000, The Cheney Telephone Company was incorporated in February,
1912, by J. W. Rooney, John O'Brien, H. D. Gove, Roy Vanderslice, and C. E. Cummings. Baptist, Catholic and United
Brethren churches are located in Cheney and are all in a prosperous condition with good memberships.
The Town of Davey is located on section 30, Rock Creek Precinct, The town was started and platted by the
Western Town & Lot Company and the plat filed for record October 14, 1886, The Farmers State Bank of Davey
was organized in 1903, H, Johnson is the president of the institution; L, Hanson is the vice president; J. M. Hanson
is the cashier; and Peter Nelson, assistant cashier, The capital stock of the bank is $8,000; the surplus, $6,000;
and the deposits, $95,000. One newspaper, the Mirror, which is published by the Interstate Company of Lincoln,
contains items of local interest, There are two churches in the town, the Catholic and Danish Lutheran, In 1893
a Swedish M. E. Church was started,
Denton is a small community situated on section 22, Denton Precinct, Denton was laid out by D. N. and Sophia
Smith and surveyed by M, Willsie. The plat was filed for record on August 1, 1871, The town is located upon the
Burlington Railroad, The Denton State Bank was organized in 1906, The bank is officered by W. M. Rowland, president;
Mary Rowland, vice president; and C, M. Rowland, cashier, The capital stock carried by the bank is $10,000; the
surplus, $3,000; and the deposits average about $60,000, The Denton Record, a weekly newspaper, is published by
the Interstate Company of Lincoln. Catholic and Methodist Episcopal churches care for the religious needs of the
people of Denton,
The thriving little Town of Hallam is located on sections 30 and 31 of Buda Precinct, The town plat was
laid out by the Kansas Town and Land Company and the plat recorded December 29, 1892, The town is a station upon
the Burlington System and is quite a shipping point for the neighboring precincts, The Hallam Bank was organized
in 1898 by a company of local men, Gerhard Rippen is the president of the bank at the present time; F, T, Carsten
is the vice president; and C, F, Burk is the cashier, The capital stock is $10,000; the surplus, $2,000; and the
deposits average nearly $100,000, On April 24, 1893, in the Hallam Schoolhouse there was organized the German Evangelical
Congregational Church, It was incorporated by Albert Gerdes, Peter Gansemer and P, Van Hove, The Farmers &
Hallam Telephone Exchange was started in April, 1911, by C. F. Burk. Andrew Walker, Chris Keller and G, H. Nankeen.
Another telephone company had previously been organized in 1906 known as the Star Telephone Company,
Holland is a typical Dutch town located on section 3, South Pass Precinct, located on the Burlington Road,
The Reformed Church of Holland was first incorporated in September, 1886, by the following: Gert Van Enger, Hendrick
Van Beek, Lubhert Lokhorst, Hendrik de Vries, Quirinus Hunger, Gerrit van der Beek, Hendrik Jan Lubbers, Jan Willem
Lecferdink, Hendrik Jan Wubhels and Lubbert Boeve, The church was reincorporated in February, 189o, by Peter Poor,
H. J, Te Brinke, A. Kommers, E. Iota, A. Bikers, John Kallemeyr, Martin Klein. Jacob Kallemeyr, Bartain Kallemeyr,
John Van Enger. Dick Kallemevr. Martin Kallemeyr and Jacob Der Hollander, This is the only church in the town;
there are no banks or newspapers,
Kramer is located on section 9, Olive Branch Precinct, and was laid out by L. H. Wilcox and the plat filed
for record March 3, 1888. It is located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Two churches, the German Lutheran and
the Methodist. are located here,
Malcolm is situated on section 21, Elk Precinct, on the Burlington. It was laid out by M, A. and Emma Showers
and the plat filed for record on October 13, 1877, The Malcolm State Bank was organized in 1906 and is now managed
by the following officers: A, Otterman, president; W. E, Behring, vice president; L. E. Cozad, cashier; W. R. Ehlers,
assistant cashier, The Malcolm bank has a capital stock of $7,000; a surplus of $3,700; and deposits of $7o,000
on the average. The Malcolm Methodist Episcopal Church was incorporated and started in August, 1884, by Rev. A.
M. Ogborn, J. C, Mahan, J. W, Miller, J. W. Smith, William Weyant, John Carpenter, and Chris Roahrer, The Malcolm
Messenger, a local paper, is published by the Interstate Company of Lincoln,
The Town of Emerald is located on section 23, Middle Creek Precinct, located upon the Burlington Railroad,
The Emerald State Bank was started in 1910, incorporated May 14th, by J. W. Daily, E. R. Lippe, C. H. Becker, C,
F, Hoppman, H. C. W, Jarms, O. Kloeckner, A, C, Heydon and C, E, Shafer, The First Baptist Church was started in
August, 1892, by Rev. Chapman, F. Mayes, E. S. Davison and G. M. Yales, The Methodist Church was organized about
the same time. Both of these societies are flourishing and are well attended by people from the town and the surrounding
Martel is a hustling little village in Middle Creek Precinct, The Martel State Bank was started in 1905.
R. E. Moore is the president; John H, Moore, vice president; W, H, Moore, cashier; and J. Carl Sittler, assistant
cashier, The capital stock is $10,000; the surplus, $2,000; and the deposits, $70,000, One church, the Union Church,
was started in 1894 and a house of worship erected then, The Martel Leader, a weekly sheet, is published by the
Interstate Company of Lincoln.
The Town of Panama is located on section 3, Panama Precinct, and was located in the late '70s, The Bank
of Panama was organized in July, 1891, by Louis Hobel, Othniel Howe, Charles Marshall, John T, Marshall, Samuel
Tilton, John Forrest, Ruben Coun, John Robertson, Thomas J. Dickson, James Dickson and Robert G. Dickson, Charles
Marshall is the president of the bank; Samuel Tilton, vice president; and John T. Marshall, cashier, The capital
stock of the bank is $10,000; the surplus, $3,700; and the deposits, $135,000, Three churches, Christian, Presbyterian
and United Brethren, The Panama Record is published by the Atlas Company of Lincoln.
Prairie Home on section 12, Stevens Creek Precinct, was laid out by Charles and Betsey Harman and Phoebe
Fox. The plat was filed for record February 21, 1891. The Farmers Bank of Prairie Home was established in 1905.
J. D. Daseubrock is the president; Ellen Westland is the vice president, and J, B. Dasenbrock, cashier. The bank
has a capital stock of $7,000; a surplus of $500; and deposits of $25,000. The Methodist Episcopal is the only
church society in the village,
Princeton was laid out by James and Harriett Kilburn, John and Mary Biron and Sevilla Peter, upon farms
owned by them The survey was made by W. S. King and the plat filed for record July 8, 1886, The community is located
upon the Union Pacific Railroad. The Christian Reformed Church was started in 1896 by a number of residents; besides
this society there now exists a Methodist Episcopal Church.
In Oak Precinct, section 6, is the Town of Raymond, on the Union Pacific Railroad, The town was laid out
by T. P. and Lioina E, Kennard and surveyed by J. P. Walton, The plat was filed at the county seat on April 19,
1880, The Bank of Raymond was started in 1901 and is now officered by the following: W. J. Weller, president; H.
H. Forke, vice president; J. C. Denser, Jr., cashier; B. B. Jennings, assistant cashier, The capital stock is $12,000;
the surplus, $3,200; and the deposits, $80,000. The Presbyterian Church was organized and incorporated in February,
1881, by John D. Mulvane, Willard Kinyon and L. L, Larimer, The Methodist Episcopal Church had its beginning in
19t1, the incorporation being made by W, J. Weller, H. H. Forke, H. S. Weaver, J. M. Nord, T. W. Van Tuyl, J. C.
Denser, Jr., S. Yonker, J. W. Bennett and D. F. White, A Methodist society existed here years before, but the above
date is the first record of incorporation, The Raymond Review, weekly, is published by the Interstate Company of
Saltillo is a station on the Burlington, located on section 36, Yankee Hill Precinct, and section 31, Grant
Precinct, The town was laid out in September, 1872.
The Town of Sprague is located upon sections 27 and 28, Middle Creek Precinct, and was laid out by L, H, Wilcox,
the plat being filed for record May 3, 1888. The Bank of Sprague was started in 1910, Following are the present
officers: Albert Egger, president; M, Miles, vice president; Frank F, Miles, cashier; William Krull, assistant
cashier, The capital is $10,000; the surplus, $2,000; and the deposits, $35,000, The Sprague Booster, a weekly
paper, is issued from the Atlas Company of Lincoln, The Presbyterian Church of Sprague was incorporated and organized
July 23, 1893, by John W. Taylor, James Andrel, Henry F, Mitchell, William H, Finley, Allen P. Ferguson, M, 0,
and Chauncey F, Diehl, and Thomas L Sexton,
Walton is a hamlet located on section 31, Stevens Creek Precinct, The Farmers and Merchants Bank of this
place was organized in 1909. T. C. Wilson is president; H, W, Mayer, vice president; and L. A. Berge, cashier,
The capital stock is $10,000; the surplus, 2,500; and the deposits about $70,000, Walton is located upon the Missouri
Agnew, on section 12, West Oak Precinct, was laid out by Eliza States and the plat filed May 2, 1889,
Jamaica, on section 36, Yankee Hill Precinct, was platted in 1885,
Woodlawn, on section 31, Oak Precinct, was laid out by N. B, Kendall and Charles D, Smith and the plat filed
March 29, 1878. In 1902 the town sprang into momentary notoriety by the robbery of the Burlington train near here,
$35,000 being taken by the bandits.
Other stations in the county, which have no postoffice, nor any community of size, are: Arbor, Berks, Burnham,
Cobb, Hawthorne, Pella and Rokeby.