History of Roca, Lancaster County, Nebraska
From: Lincoln the Capitol City and
Lancaster County, Nebraska
BY: Andrew J. Sawyer
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1916

ROCA

The name Roca implies "founded upon a rock." In the matter of stability and growth, the little town has merited well its name. The town was laid out by W. E and E. G. Keys, John H. and Eliza Meyer, in 1876. The site of the town was chosen in 1872, located on the farms of the above named people. It was organized as a village in 1876.

Roca was early know as the home of good limestone quarries, in the year 1881 over sixteen hundred carloads of stone being shipped from the town. Also as a grain and live stock shipping point the town owes its early popularity

The Bank of Roca was organized and opened for business in the year 1937. H. F. Warner is the president; H. Meyer, vice president; and Charles Damrow, cashier. The capital stock is $5,000, and the surplus $1,500. Although small, the institution is in the center of a prosperous community and the probabilities are that it will become one of the leading banks among those of the smaller towns of Lancaster County.

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Roca was organized in 1876 and incorporated in May, 1878, by Rev, A, G, White, Joseph Southwick, Benjamin Allen, Henry Spellman, Moses Mitten, B. Hamley, D. W. Ellis, G. O. Adams and Stephen Feather, There is also a Lutheran Church in the Town of Roca.

Return to [ Lancaster County ] [ NE History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [Adams County Biographies ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy