History of University Place, Lancaster County, Nebraska
From: Lincoln the Capitol City and
Lancaster County, Nebraska
BY: Andrew J. Sawyer
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1916
The start of the Town of University Place was practically synonymous with the establishment of the Wesleyan
Methodist University, an account of which is given elsewhere. The town was originally located upon university land.
A partial list of the first settlers of the town is as follows: Mr. and Mrs. A. P. Simpson, 1889; Mr. and Mrs.
L. W. Butler, 1890; Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Thompson, 1890; Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Wells, Mr. and Mrs. L. D. Clifton, 189o;
Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Robert McCartney, 1890; Mr. and Mrs. L. S. Hullinger,
Mrs Lulu Home, Henry Lee, J. W. Wharton, 1890; Mrs. Nelson Taylor, 1890; Mayme Taylor Hursh, 1890; Rev. and Mrs.
H. L. Powers, 1891; M. V. B. Turner, 1888; Rev. and Mrs. James Leonard, 1897; Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Hursey, 1891;
S. D. Fitchie, 1889:; H. Augusta Harris, 1874; H. M. Wineland, 1890; W. T. Good, 1892; E. E. Clifton, 1890; C.
D. Rose, 1891; Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Mosely, 1890; R. O. Castle, 1890; Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Gardner, 1894; Rev. J. R.
Gettys, 1892; Loyd B. Gettys, 1893; Frances Gettys, 1896; A. Handsaker, 1889; Helen Handsaker, 1889; Dora B. Horne,
1892; Prof. and Mrs. F. A. Alabaster, 1893; C. L. Mitchell, 1892; Mrs. Anna Riggs, 1892; Mrs. G. A. Smith, 1890;
Mary Alene Smith, 1890; Rude Daily, Jr., 1892; Alva Campbell, 1888. An old settlers' association was formed in
University Place on April 27, 1916.
Return to [ Lancaster County ] [ NE History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [Adams County Biographies ]