History of Ceresco, Nebraska
From: Past and Present Saunders County, Nebraska
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement
Charles Perky Supervising Editor
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chiago 1915

CERESCO

In July, 1868, E. and H. A. Andrews settled on Rock Creek on the southwest quarter of section 32, town 13, Richland Precinct, and at the close of the same season W. J. Gibbs and J. Nelson located on the west half of the same section. This settlement was called Ceresco. T. W. Riddle located on section 6 in 1870 and opened the first store in the town. Ceresco was first opened to a mail route in 1870 when the postal line was established between Fremont and this town, taking in Swedeburg, Wahoo and Cedar Bluffs also. T. W. Riddle was the first postmaster and kept the office at his store. This was the first mail route in the county. A. Andrus was another early storekeeper of Ceresco, also Ira Nelson.

The railroad was built through the town in 1886 and the site of Ceresco was officially surveyed on land bought of William Smith. In 1869, when the town was first started, it was located about one half mile from the present site, on section 32. In 1886, as mentioned above, the coming of the railroad caused the town site to be moved to the present location. Ceresco was unfortunate in the year 1895, month of May, when a fire destroyed the main business portion. The business houses were rebuilt, however, and now Ceresco is one of the leading small towns of the county. Substantial brick structures have largely replaced the old frame ones.

The Farmers and Merchants Bank of Ceresco was organized on August 24, 1911, and the first officers were: J. L. Winter, president; H. E. Winter, secretary; and M. H. Gross, cashier. The first capital stock was $15,000. The present officers of this bank are: J. L. Winter, president; Alfred Peterson, vice president; William Breyer, vice president; and Fred Mostrom, cashier. The capital stock remains the same, $15,000; the surplus is now $1,000; and the deposits amount to $165,000.

The State Bank of Ceresco was organized in the year 1887 by N. H. Meeker of Greenwood. This is one of the oldest banks in the county and one of the most substantial. F. J. Maixmar is the president of the institution; Charles Maixmar is the cashier; and W. B. Thorpe is the assistant cashier. The capital stock is $10,000; the surplus, $5,000; and the deposits amount to $120,000. With the exception of one robbery, the State Bank of Ceresco has had an uninterrupted growth and, with the Farmers and Merchants Bank, well prove the financial condition of Ceresco and vicinity.

Return to [ Saunders County ] [ NE History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [Adams County Biographies ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy