History of Colon, Nebraska
From: Past and Present Saunders County, Nebraska
A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement
Charles Perky Supervising Editor
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chiago 1915

COLON

Located on the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad just north of Wahoo is the Town of Colon, a very small community, typical of the agricultural towns in Saunders County. Colon was platted in 1886 on land which the railroad bought from Martin Van Fleet. The Northwestern Road had just been constructed through the county and had established towns along its entire course. The postoffice at Colon was started in the same year, with E. O. Rand as the first postmaster. The town was incorporated December 1, 1894.

The State Bank of Colon was organized April 3, 1899, with these first officers: F J Kirckman, president; August Franson, vice president; J. W. Dailey, cashier. The first capital stock was $5,000. Now the capital has been increased to $20,000. The surplus fund is $2,700 and the deposits amount to about $150,000. J. J. Johnson and F. J. Kirchman are directors in this bank and J. F. Bastar is the cashier.


Return to [ Saunders County ] [ NE History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [Adams County Biographies ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy