VILLAGE OF CORDOVA.
Cordova is located in the south-west quarter of Seward county, seven miles south-west of Beaver Crossing. It
was founded in 1887, the third new village on the line of the C. & N. W. rail road in the county. It was first
called Hunkinsville in honor of Benjamin Hunkins, an enterprising and respected early homesteader of the vicinity,
but there being a town and postoffice of similar name in the state the town was renamed Cordova. Situated in an
excellent area of farming land, and a prosperous community, the early enterprises of the place soon placed it upon
the map as one of Seward county's lively and growing towns.
The early business establishments of Cordova were two Elevators; three general stores, managed respectively by
Rodeman & Son, C. W. Hunkins, and Vaughn & Peterson; one drug store, Dr. C. W. Doty proprietor; one hardware
store run by Graff & Goodbrod; one furniture store, one agricultural implement house, one harness shop, one
lumber yard, one hotel, a bank, a barber shop, one blacksmith shop. Among the early public improvements was a good,
graded school, and three church buildings were added in due time. In 1888 Joshua Warren, of Friend, erected a large
wooden building from the wreckage of the old M. E. church building at that place; the lower part of the building
was divided into three store rooms, and the upper part was used as an opera house, the structure being called Warren's
Opera House, or Cordova Opera House to distinguish it from Warren's Opera House in Friend.
On a visit to Cordova in 1913 the writer was much surprised and pleased by the apparant change and improvement
in the town; especially the residence portion with its many neat cottages, attractive lawns and clean streets.
The old Warren's Opera House, which was sold to Dr. E. G. Watson, and known in later years as Watson's Opera House
and finaly destroyed by fire, had been replaced by an imposing, two story brick building. This building has several
store rooms on the lower floor, a finely arranged opera room, lodge room, and other rooms on the second floor,
all of which are reached by broad, modern stairways from both the front and rear part of the building. There are
several other improved buildings in the place among which is the State Bank which is certainly a beauty for a town
the size of Cordova. Aside from the improvements two familiar objects are to be seen, the little 8 x 10 shanty
post office and the hotel.
Cordova has a population of about three hundred. It has numerous business houses centered among a hundred residences,
with cement sidewalks extending throughout the town. It has no rural mail route.