History of the Village of Staplehurst, Nebraska
From: General History of Seward County, Nebraska
BY: John H. Waterman
Beaver Crossing, Nebraska - 1914-15

VILLAGE OF STAPLEHURST.

Staplehurst is in -C- precinct, in the northern portion of the county. It has developed a notable advancement in progress since the pioneer period. In fact it can hardly be called a pioneer town. It was founded in 1879, but was backward in growth for some time. Along about 1883 an addition to the village was laid out by Goehner & Company and business houses and numerous dwelling houses were errected. Two grain elevators were built, and the place begining to show signs of coming importance as a shipping point, started upon a healthy and prosperous career.

Staplehurst has a population of about four hundred. It has two good banks; a ten grade high school; three churches; one rural mail route; three general merchandise stores, one lumber yard, two meat markets, one hardware store, two blacksmith shops, one livery stable, and several other business establishments of more or less importance, indicating that the town has shared in the general new era prosperity of the county.

Return to [ Seward County History ] [ NE History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ] [Nebraska Biographies ]

All pages copyright 2009. All items on this site are copyrighted by their author(s). These pages may be linked to but not used on another web site. Anyone may copy and use the information provided here freely for personal use only. Privacy Policy