Geographical - Original Grant - Souhegan East - Petition for Incorporation - Charter of the Town - The First
Settlements - Names of Pioneers - The French War - Colonel John Goffe - War of the Revolution - Names of Soldiers
- Votes of the Town - Association Test.
The town of Bedford lies in the eastern part of the county, and is bounded as follows: North by Goffstown, East
by Manchester and Litchfield, South by Merrimack and West by Amherst and New Boston.
This town was one of the Massachusetts grants of 1733, made to the surviving soldiers of the King Philip's War,
including deceased soldiers' heirs, and was called Narraganset No. 5, also Souhegan East, and was under the government
of that province until the settlement of the line, in 1741. It was incorporated by the government of New Hampshire
May 19, 1750, and named in honor of the Duke of Bedford, who was at that time Secretary of State in the government
of George the Second, and for many years Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland.
The first settlement of the township was in 1737. As early as the winter of 1735 a man by the name of Sebbins came
from Braintree, Mass., and spent the winter in what was then Souhegan East. He occupied himself in making shingles,
and the spot he selected for his purpose was south of the old graveyard, between that and Sebbins' Pond, on the
north line of a piece of land that was owned by the late Isaac Atwood. In the spring of the year he drew his shingles
to Merrimack River, about a mile and a half, on a hand-sled, and rafted them to Pawtucket Falls (now Lowell). The
pond already noticed, and a large tract of land around the same, still goes by his name.
In the fall of 1737 the first permanent settlement was made by Robert and James Walker, brothers; and in the following
spring, by Matthew and Samuel Patten, brothers, and sons of John Patten; and soon after by many others. The Pattens
lived in the same hut with the Walkers until they built one of their own, near where Joseph Patten used to live.
They commenced their first labors near the bank of the Merrimack, on a piece of ground known as Patten's field,
about forty rods north of Josiah Walker's barn. The Walkers were immediately from Londonderry, N. H. The Pattens
never lived in Londonderry, though they belonged to the company; they were immediately from Dunstable. The father,
John Patten, with his two sons, Matthew and Samuel, landed at Boston, stopping there but a short time; thence they
came to Chelmsford, and thence to Dunstable, where he stayed till he came to Bedford. The second piece of land
cleared was on the Joseph Patten place, the field south of the first pound, where the noted old high and flat granite
stone now stands.
With few exceptions, the early inhabitants of the town were from the north of Ireland or from the then infant settlement
of Londonderry, N. H., to which they had recently emigrated from Ireland. Their ancestors were of Scotch origin.
About the middle of the seventeenth century they went in considerable numbers from Argyleshire, in the west of
Scotland, to the counties of Londonderry and Antrim in the north of Ireland, from which, in 1718, a great emigration
took place to this country. Some arrived at Boston and some at Casco Bay, near Portland, which last were the settlers
of Londonderry. Many towns in this vicinity were settled from this colony. Windham, Chester, Litchfield, Manchester,
Bedford, Goffstown, New Boston, Antrim, Peterborough and Acworth derived from Londonderry a considerable proportion
of their first inhabitants.
“Many of their descendants,” says Rev. Dr. Whiton, in his history of the State, “have risen to high respectability;
among whom are numbered four Governors of New Hampshire; one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence;
several distinguished officers in the Revolutionary War and in the last war with Great Britain, including Stark,
Reid, Miller and McNeil; a president of Bowdoin College, some members of Congress, and several distinguished ministers
of the gospel.”
President Everett, in his “Life of General Stark,” thus notices the colony, -
“These emigrants were descended from the Scotch Presbyterians, who, in the reign of James, were established in
Ireland, but who, professing with national tenacity a religious belief neither in accordance with the popular faith
in Ireland nor with that of its English masters, and disliking the institutions of tithe and rent, determined to
seek a settlement in America. The first party came over in 1718, and led the way in a settlement on Merrimack River.
They were shortly succeeded by a large number of their countrymen, who brought with them the art of weaving linen,
and first introduced the culture of the potato into this part of America, and furnished from their families a large
number of the pioneers of civilization in New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine; and some of the most useful and distinguished
citizens of all these states.”
266 HISTORY OF HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, NEW HAMPSHIRE.
These quotations will not, it is hoped, be thought superfluous, when it is considered how large a proportion of
the early inhabitants of the town were of Scottish origin. They were, as they are justly represented in the address
of Colonel Barnes, a well-principled, frugal, hardy and industrious people, who brought with them a sound attachment
to religious institutions.
“And it is interesting to notice the similarity between the pilgrims of Plymouth and the emigrants from the north
of Ireland, as respects the motives which led them to emigrate. It was no worldly ambition, it was no unhallowed
thirst of gain, that in either case appears to have led these hardy men to leave the comforts and endearments of
their native land and come to this western wilderness. It was, we may believe, in both cases, for the enjoyment
of the rights of conscience and religious privileges that they came across the Atlantic, and settled down in these
forests.” - “Historical Sketch of Bedford,” by Rev. Thomas Savage, 1840.
A few years after the first settlement the inhabitants petitioned to be incorporated, and in 1750 the town, which
had been called Souhegan East, or Narragansett No. 5, was incorporated under its present name and within its present
limits, its territory originally extending south to Souhegan River.
April 11, 1748. Governor Wentworth informed the Council of “the situation of a number of persons inhabiting a place
called Souhegan East, within this province, that were without any township or district, and had not the privilege
of a town in choosing officers for regulating their affairs, such as raising money for the ministry,” etc.
“Upon which, his Excellency, with the advice of the Council, was pleased to order that the above-mentioned persons,
living at s'd place, be and hereby are empowered to call meetings of the s'd inhabitants, at which meeting they
may, by virtue hereof, transact such matters and things as are usually done at town or Parish-meetings within this
Province, such as choosing officers, raising money for paying such charges of the s'd inhabitants, as shall be
voted by a majority present at any such meeting. Provided, nevertheless, that nothing herein contained shall be
construed, deemed or taken as a grant of the land, or Quieting any possession. And that this order may be rendered
beneficial to the said inhabitants, tis further ordered that Capt. John Goffe, Jun'r, call the first meeting, by
a written notification, posted up at a public place amongst the inhabitants, fifteen days before the time of s'd
meeting, in which notification the matters to be transacted are to be mentioned; and after that the Selectmen may
call meetings, and are to follow the rules in so doing that are prescribed by law, for Town and Parish-meetings.
This Vote to continue and be in force till some further order thereon, and no longer.”
CHARTER GRANTED TO SOUHEGAN EAST IN 1750.
“At a Council holden at Portsmouth according to his Excellency's Summons, on Fryday, May the 18th, 1750: - Present:
- Ellis Huske, Theodore Atkinson, Richard Wibird, Samuel Smith, John Downing, Samuel Solley, and Sampson Sheaffe,
Esquires: - A petition signed Samuel Miller, William Moore, and others, presented by John Goffe, Esq., and Mr.
Samuel Patten, praying for a charter of Incorporation of the inhabitants of a place called Souhegan East, in this
Province, being read, and Joseph Blanchard, Esq., in behalf of the town of Merrimack, also at the same time appearing,
and the parties being heard on the said Petition, and agreeing where the line should run, in case his Excellency,
with the advice of the Council, should think proper to grant the Petitioners a Charter of Incorporation. Mr. Goffe
and Patten, upon being asked, declared that the sole end proposed by the petitioners was to be incorporated with
privileges as other towns, by law, have in this Province.
“Upon which the Council did unanimously advise that his Excellency grant a Charter of Incorporation, as usual in
The following is a copy of the petition for incorporation:
PETITION FOR INCORPORATION.
“To his Excellency, Benning Wentworth, Esq., Governor and Commander-in-Chief of his Majesty's Province of New Hampshire,
and to the Honorable, his Majesty's Council, assembled at Portsmouth, May 10, 1750.
“The humble Petition of the subscribers, inhabitants of Souhegan East, so-called, Sheweth, That your Petitioners
are major part of said Souhegan; that your petitioners, as to our particular persuasion in Christianity, are generally
of the Presbyterian denomination; that your petitioners, through a variety of causes, having been long destitute
of the gospel, are now desirous of taking the proper steps in order to have it settled among us in that way of
discipline which we judge to tend most to our edification; that your petitioners, not being incorporated by civil
authority, are in no capacity to raise those sums of money which may be needful in order to our proceeding in the
above important affair. May it therefore please your Excellency, and Honors, to take the case of your petitioners
under consideration, and to incorporate us into a town or district, or in case any part of our inhabitants should
be taken off by any neighboring district, to grant that those of our persuasion who are desirous of adhering to
us may be excused from supporting any other parish charge than where they conscientiously adhere, we desiring the
same liberty to those within our bounds, if any there be, and your petitioners shall ever pray, &c.
John McLaughlin, Senior,
Robert Gilmoor, Senior,
“These are to certify that we, the above subscribers, do commission John Goffe, Esq., and Mr. Samuel Patten to
present this petition, in order to obtain incorporation for us, according to their instructions from us, the subscribers.
“JAMES LITTLE, Clark.
”[Dated] May 10, 1750.”
The petition was granted and the following is a copy of the charter:
PROVINCE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
“George the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Brittain, France, and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, &c.
To all to whom these Presents shall Come, Greeting:
“Whereas, Our Loyal Subjicks, Inhabitants of a Tract of Land, within our Province of New Hampshire, aforesaid,
Lying At or near A Place called Sow-Hegon, on the West side of the River Merrimack, Have Humbly Petitioned and
Requested to Us, That they may be Encted and Incorporated into A Township, and Infranchized with the same Powers
and Privileges which other Towns, within Our sd Province, by Law Have and Enjoy, and it appearing to Us to be Conducive
to the General good of Our said Province, as well as of the Inhabitants in Particular, By maintaining good Order,
and Encouraging the Culture of the Land, that the same should be done, Know Ye, Therefore, That We, of our Especial
Grace, certain Knowledge, and for the Encouragement and Promoting the good Purposes and Ends aforesaid, By and
with the Advice of Our Trusty and well beloved Benning Wentworth, Esq., Our Governour and Commander In Chief, And
of Our Council for sd Province of New Hampshire, Have Enacted and Ordained, And by these Presents, for Us, Our
Heirs and Successors, Do will and Ordain that The
Inhabitants of a Tract of Land, aforesaid, Or that shall Inhabit and Improve thereon hereafter, Butted and Bounded
as follows (Viz.): Beginning at a place three miles North from the Bridge over Sow-Hegon River, at John Chamberlain's
House, and thence to Run East, by the Needle, to Merrimack River, to a Stake and Stones, and to extend that Line
West until it Intersect a Line Known by the name of the West Line of Sow-Hegan East, and from thence to Run North,
Two Degrees West, about three Miles and an half to a Beach Tree, marked, called Sow-Hegan West, North East corner;
thence South, Eighty Eight degrees West, by an old Line of marked Trees to a Chestnut Tree, marked; from thence
North, Two Degrees West, Two miles, to an Hemlock Tree, marked, called the North West Corner of said Sow-Hegan
East; thence East, by the Needle to Merrimack River, to a Stake and Stones; thence Southerly, as Merrimack River
runs, to the Stake and Stones; first mentioned. And by these Presents, are Declared and ordained to be a Town Corporate,
and are hereby Encted and Incorporated into a Body Pollitick and a Corporation, to have Continuance forever, by
the Name of Bedford, with all the Powers and Authorities, Priviledges, Immunities, and Infranchizes, to them, the
said Inhabitants, and their Successors for Ever, Always reserving to us, Our Heirs and Successors, All White Pine
Trees growing and being, Or that shall hereafter Grow and be, on the sd Tract of Land fit for the Use of Our Royal
Navy, reserving also the power Of dividing the sd Town, to Us, Our Heirs and Successors, when it shall appear Necessary
and Convenient for the Benefit of the Inhabitants thereof. It is to be understood, and is accordingly Hereby Declared,
that the private Property of the Soil is in no manner of way to be affected by this Charter. And as the several
Towns within Our said Province of New Hampshire are, by the Laws thereof, Enabled and Authorized to Assemble, and
by the Majority of Votes to Choose all such Officers as are mentioned In the said Laws, We do by these Presents,
Nominate and Appoint John Goffe, Esq., to Call the first Meeting of the said Inhabitants, to be held within the
sd Town, at any time within thirty days from the Date hereof, Giving Legal Notice of the Time, Place and design
of Holding such Meeting; After which, the Annual Meeting in sd Town shall be held for the Choice of Town Officers,
&c., for ever, on the last Wednesday in March, annually.
“In Testimony Whereof, We have caused the Seal of Our sd Province to be hereunto affixed. Witness, Benning Wentworth,
Esq., Our Governour and Commander In Chief of Our sd Province, the nineteenth Day of May, In the Year of Our Lord
Christ, One thousand Seven hundred and fifty.
“By His Excellency's Command,
With Advice of Council.
“THEODORE ATKINSON, Secretary.”
The French War. - Colonel John Goffe was in the French War in 1756, and was in command of our forces at one period.
The following were also in the war from this town: William McDougal, George Orr, Robert Holmes, Thomas McLaughlin,
Samuel Patterson, James Patterson, Nathaniel Patterson, John Orr and John Moor, the last of whom was taken prisoner
at Fort William Henry and carried to France, from thence to England, whence he returned home.
In 1760 a regiment consisting of eight hundred men was raised by the province of New Hampshire, to join the expedition
under General Amherst against Canada. This regiment was under the command of Colonel John Goffe, of Bedford, and,
in fact, was made up, in a great measure, of men from the neighboring towns in Hillsborough and Rockingham Counties.
Colonel Goffe had his rendezvous at Lytchfield, then the important town of Hillsborough County.
Captain James Walker was engaged in this war, from 1760 to 1763, as a sutler under Colonel John Goffe, his father-in-law.
In 1764 he was appointed captain of a troop of horse by Governor Wentworth; the commission, dated March 4, 1764,
and signed by Theodore Atkinson, Jr., secretary, and B. Wentworth, Governor, is in town in a good state of preservation.
Revolutionary War - The first reference on the town records to the War of the Revolution is under date of January
16, 1775, -
“Voted, - To adopt the measures of the Continental Congress.
“Voted, - Capt. Samuel Patten, Capt. Daniel Moor and Lieut. Samuel Vose be a Committee to carry said measures into
“Voted, - Mr. James Martin, be appointed Deputy, in behalf of the town, to attend the Provincial Congress, to be
held at Exeter, on Wednesday, 25th inst., for the choice of a Delegate to represent their province at the Continental
Congress, proposed to be held at Philadelphia, Tuesday, 10th of May next.
“Voted, - That we will bear our proportion, with the other towns in the Province, for sending Delegates to Philadelphia,
10th of May next, if our grievances are not removed before that time.
“Voted, - That James Martin have one dollar per day, for his time and expenses, while he is our Deputy at Exter,
on the present occasion.'
“April 20, 1775.
“TO THE SELECTMEN OF BEDFORD.
“Gentlemen, - This moment the melancholy intelligence has been received of hostilities being commenced between
the troops, under Gen Gage, and our brethren of Massachusetts Bay. The importance of exerting ourselves at this
critical moment has caused the Provincial Committee to meet at Exeter, and you are requested, instantly, to choose
and hasten forward, there, a Delegate or Delegates, to join in the Committee and aid them in consulting measures
for our safety.
“In great haste, and by order of the Committee,
“Your Humble Servant,
”April 25, 1775. Voted, - Our Selectmen, inspect the families of our men that are gone to the array, and if they
find any in want, to provide what is necessary for them, at the town cost.
“November 12, 1776. Voted, - That the town pay ten dollars to each man that went to Ticonderoga, on the town's
account, in July last, and seven dollars for a drum.
“Voted, - To dismiss the soldiers that went out of this town, that served in the Continental army in the year 1775,
of their poll tax.
“Voted, - Wiseman Clagget, Esq., of Litchfield, to represent the towns of Bedford and Merrimack, in General Assembly,
now sitting at Exeter, for the year 1777, agreeable to a precept to us directed.
“March 26, 1777. Voted, - Thomas Boles, James Vose, John Martin, Lieut. John Orr and John Aiken be a Committee
“April 10, 1777. Voted, - To raise eighty dollars, to give as a bounty to each soldier that shall enlist in this
town for the Continental army.
“May 19, 1777. Voted, - That those men that went on behalf of the town, from Winter-hill to New York, and thence
to Canada, and thence back to Ticonderoga, be free from their poll-rate for 1777.
“June 15, 1778. Voted, - The Selectmen of Bedford shall supply the soldiers' wives with the necessaries of life,
at the rated prices, and that the town pay the overplus.
“February 19, 1779. Voted, The Selectmen of this town stand ready to supply Mr. Robert Morrill's wife with the
necessaries of life, at the stated prices, if she come to this town, during her stay in the same, and his stay
in the Continental army, for the town of Bedford, unless the Continental Congress make provision in such case.”
The following votes show the great depreciation of paper money at that time:
“September 17, 1779. Voted, - To raise three hundred pounds lawful money to purchase grain for Levi Whitman's wife.
“September 9, 1780. Raised ten thousand seven hundred pounds, lawful money, to purchase beef for the army.
“November 15, 1780. Voted, - To allow Fifty dollars per bushel for Indian Corn.
“May 24, 1781. Voted, - To raise thirteen thousand five hundred pounds, L. M., in Continental bills, to purchase
beef for the support of the army the present year.
“May 3, 1783. Voted, - The Constable be directed to receive One Spanish Dollar in lieu of one hundred and sixty
dollars in Continental bills.”
268 HISTORY OF HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, NEW HAMPSHIRE.
We only add the following to the votes relating to this interesting period.
“July 10, 1783. Voted, - We will not proceed to business, by reason of it being a day of rejoicing on account of
The following are extracts from the journal of Hon. Matthew Patten:
“April 20, 1775. I received the melancholy news, in the morning, that Gen. Gage's troops had fired on our countrymen
at Concord, and had killed a large number of them. Our town was notified last night. We generally met at the meeting-house,
about 9 o'clock, and twenty of our men went directly off for our army, from the meeting, to assist them. And our
son John came home from Pawtucket, and intending to set off for our army to-morrow morning, and our girls set up
all night baking bread and fixing things for him and John Dobbin.
“21. Our John and John Dobbin, and my brother Samuel's two oldest sons, set off and joined Derryfield men, and
about six from Goffstown, and two or three more from this town, under the command of Capt. John Moor, of Derryfield.
They amounted in number to 45 in all. Suncook men and two or three others that joined them marched on in about
an hour after; they amounted to 35. There was nine men went along after, belonging to Pennykook or thereabouts.
“22. I was awaked in the morning by Mr. Chandler's man, with a letter from the Committee of the Provincial Congress,
for calling another Congress of the Province immediately. And I went with it as fast as I could to John Bell's,
but he had gone to the army, and both the other Selectmen.
“24. I went and notified on the River Row, to meet at the meeting-house, on our public distress. And I went to
Col. John Goffe, to ask his advice, and we met toward evening, and acted on what we thought necessary.
“25. I went at the service of the town, to Col. Goffe, and Merril, at MacGregor's, and cautioned them to take special
care of strangers, and persons suspected of being tories, crossing the river by ferries; to examine and search,
if they judged needful. And I got nine flints from Mr. MacGregor, for which I paid him 11s. 8d., old tenor.
“July 23, 1777. The evacuation of Ticonderoga. I paid advanced wages. And this day I went to New Boston, to Capt.
McGaw's and mustered 52 men for Col. Moor. They were from Lyndeborough, New Boston, Francestown, Deering and Antrim.
My expenses was 1s. 6d. at McGaw's. I went to Hugh Gregg's and lodged all night.
The following is a list of Revolutionary soldiers who went from this town:
Colonel Daniel Moor, Major John Goffe, Captain James Aiken, Captain Thos. McLaughlin, Lieutenant John Patten, John
Patten, Jr., Sam'l Patten, Jas. Patten, Robert Patten, Hugh Campbell, John Gault, Isaac Riddle, David Riddle, John
Riddle, Amos Martin, James Martin, Geo. Gault, Stephen Goffe (lost at sea), Hugh Thornton (died in service), Primas
Chandler (taken at the Cedars and never after heard of), Samuel Barr, John Callahan (killed), James Moor, Robert
Cornewell, John Caldwell, James Grear, Jonas Cutting, William Parker, John Kellen, John McAllister, Barnet McCain,
John Griffin, Luke Eagan, Solomon Kemp (killed), John O'Neill, Jonathan Dorr (killed), George Hogg, John Gardner,
Emigrant Chubuck, Samuel Fugard, William Newman, Thomas McClary, Nathaniel Spofford, Robert Dewrumple (killed),
Patrick Larkin, William Houston, Hugh Jameson, Whitfield Gilmon, John Bell, James Houston, Valentine Sullivan (taken
in the retreat from Canada; died a prisoner), William Kerr, Jr., David Gregore, George Orr, John Ross, James Steel,
Stephen Mack, Robert Morrill, Josiah Turrill, Patrick O'Murphy, Patrick O'Fling, Calvin Johnson (died in service),
Hugh Matthews, Joseph Matthews, Thomas Matthews, William Caldwell, John Dobbin, John Boles (taken prisoner and
carried to Limerick, Ireland, thence to Mill Prison, England), Josiah Gordon, Phineas Aiken, John Manahan, Thomas
Lancy, William Goffe (killed), William Barnet (died in service), David C. Houston, John Burns, William Burns (wounded),
James Smith, John Russell, Samuel Turrell, Levi Whitman.
The following soldiers were with Lieutenant John Orr at the battle of Bennington, under General John Stark.
John Barnett, Samuel Reinox (wounded by a musket ball through each hip), Samuel Houston, Robert Burns, James Walker,
William McLaughlin, William Moor, Adam Smith, John Wallace, Jacob McQuade, Samuel McAffee (died), Robert Matthews,
Isaac Houston, Hugh Riddle, James Wallace, John Aiken, John Bell, John Morrison.
Very few towns, probably, furnished a larger quota of men for the Revolutionary army.
The following connected with the Revolution is a curiosity and shows that in those days constituents felt at liberty
to instruct their Representatives.
“BEDFORD, May 31, 1783.
“To Lieut. John Orr, Representative at the General Court of the State of New Hampshire: -
“Sir: - Although we have full confidence in your fidelity and public virtue, and conceive that you would at all
times pursue such measures only as tend to the public good, yet, upon the particular occasion of our instructing
you, we conceive that it will be an advantage to have your sentiments fortified by those of your constituents.
'The occasion is this; the return of those persons to this country who are known in Great Britain by the name of
loyalist, but in America by those of conspirators, absentees and tories:
“We agree that you use your influence that these persons do not receive the least encouragement to return to dwell
among us, they not deserving favor, as they left us in the righteous cause we were engaged in, fighting for our
undoubted rights and liberties, and as many of them acted the part of the most inveterate enemies.
“And further, - that they do not receive any favor of any kind, as we esteem them as persons not deserving it,
but the contrary.
“You are further directed to use your influence, that those who are already returned be treated according to their
“JOHN RAND, A Committee chosen May 28th, by
“JOHN GOFFE, the Town of Bedford, to give in-
“JOHN BELL, structions to their Representative.”
The following interesting item in Revolutionary history is from the “American Archives,” compiled by Peter Force,
Esq., and printed at the expense of government, by order of Congress. It is a circular, addressed to the selectmen
of each town in the colony of New Hampshire, with the signatures from each town, to a declaration of attachment
to the American cause. As the document is of considerable value, we subjoin it, so far as relates to Bedford, -
“COLONY OF N. HAMPSHIRE, &C. - COMMITTEE OF SAFETY
“April 12, 1776.
“To the Selectmen of Bedford: - In order to carry the underwritten resolve of the Honorable Continental Congress
into execution, you are requested to desire all Males, above twenty-one years of age (lunatics, idiots and negroes
excepted), to sign the Declaration on this paper, and when so done, to make return thereof, together with the name
or names of all who shall refuse to sign the same, to the General Assembly, or Committee of Safety of this Colony.
“M. WEARE, Chairman.
“ 'IN CONGRESS, March 14, 1776.
“'Resolved, - That it be recommended to the several Assemblies, Conventions and Councils, or Committees of Safety,
of the United Colonies, immediately to cause all persons to be disarmed, within their respective Colonies, who
are notoriously disaffected to the cause of America, or who have not associated, and refuse to associate, to defend
by Arms, the United Colonies against the hostile attempts of the British Fleets and Armies.
“'Extract from the Minutes,
“'CHARLES THOMSON, Secretary.'
“In consequence of the above Resolution of the Continental Congress, and to show our determination in joining our
American Brethren, in defending our lives, liberties and properties of the inhabitants of the United Colonies,
We, the Subscribers, do hereby solemnly engage and promise, that we will, to the utmost of our power, at the risk
of our lives and fortunes, with arms, oppose the hostile proceedings of the British Fleets and Armies against the
United American Colonies.”
Signers in Bedford.
John Wallace, Jr., James Caldwell, William Caldwell, James Matthews, John Harrison, John Aiken, Adam Dickey, Matthew
Patten, John Goffe, Daniel Moor, John Moor, Jr., Thomas Matthews, Robert Griffin, John Burns, Robert Burns, William
Burns, John Brien, William Moor, James Houston, John McKinney, Asa Barnes, Samuel Terrill, Jr., William Kennedy,
Robert Morrel, Andrew Walker, Nathaniel Patterson, Robert Matthews, James Vose, George Comeray, Hugh Campbell,
James McAllister, John McLaughlin, John Gardner, Amaziah Pollard, James Steel, James Aiken, Whitfield Gilmore,
James Smith, John Orr, Barnabas Cain, John Moor, James Wallace, James Mardin, John Goffe, Jr., John Riddle, Samuel
Patten, John Boles, James Lyon, John Bell, John Wallace, Robert Walker, James Walker, Patrick Larkin, John Vickary,
William McCleary, Joseph Bell, Samuel Fugard, Thomas V. Vose, James Carnes, Samuel Patten, Hugh Orr, John McIntosh,
Jacob McQuaid, James Wesley, John Little, Thomas Gault, Thomas Boles, Samuel Vose, William White, Joseph Wallace,
Lieutenant John Moor, Joseph Houston, Daniel Moor, James Gilman, William Moor, David McClary, James Patterson,
Matthew McDuffle, Thomas McLaughlin, Benjamin Smith, Zechariah Chandler, Richard McAllister, John Smith, James
Little, Stephen French.
Continue to Chapter 2