This town lies in the extreme northern part of the county, and is bounded as follows: on the north by Carroll
County, on the east by Carroll County and the town of Milton, on the south by Milton, and on the west by New Durham.
Middleton was settled a short time prior to the Revolution, and among the pioneers was Thontas Morgan. The early
settlers were mainly from Lee, Somersworth, and Rochester. The surface of the town is rough and rocky. The principal
elevation is Moose Mountain, which separates it from Brookfield.
The town was incorporated March 4, 1778, and in December, 1794, the town of Brookfield was severed from it. For
many years these two towns united in sending a representative to the Legislature. In 1826 David Davis, Esq., who
represented these towns in the Legislature, caused a special act to be passed, allowing each town a member, neither
of which had the constitutional number of votes.
The first settled minister was Rev. Nehemiah Ordway (orthodox). His successor, Elder John Buzzell, a Free-Will
Baptist, established a church, since which time this has been the prevailing religious sentiment.
The southern and central parts of Middleton have a level surface, but while looking north, Great Moose, Bald, and
Parker Mountains tower up before the eye of the beholder, forming a natural bulwark between this and the town of
Brookfield. The soil yields scant returns, yet by that perseverance and industry which characterizes the people
of New England, many are in prosperous circumstances.
Middleton Corners, a little hamlet south of the centre of the town, is the principal place of business. Here is
the post-office, the stores, a hotel, a public hall, and one Free-Will Baptist Church edifice.