In March, 1864, the townships of Andover and Hampton were set off from that of
Newton, by which it dimensions were reduced to a very small circle covered by the town and its immediate suburbs.
Andover has an area of twenty square miles; it is five miles north and south, and four east and west. It has Newton
and Hampton on the north, Byram and Green on the south; the former with Sparta extending also along its eastern
side, and the latter on its western.
The Sussex Railroad, from its junction with the Morris and Essex at Waterloo, runs northerly through this township
towards Newton and beyond. Since it was built the thrift aiid business of Andover have greatly increased.
Its population, in 1870, was 1,126.
This picture represents a spot familiar to all in that vicinity and noted throughout the county. It is situated
in the north western part of the township, by the Big Muckshaw Pond. It was here that Bonnel Moody and his company
of Tories found shelter during the Revolutionary struggle. This wild and secluded spot, to which they resorted
in times of danger, was so situated that with a stock of provisions he and the few royalists associated with him
were perfectly safe from attack Screened by the projecting rock, or hidden by the thick foliage of overhanging
branches of trees, they could watch unobserved the coming of an enemy, whilst a deep swamp, twenty rods wide, almost
impassable, protected the approach to the spot on three sides.
A story is told. of this bold and lawless Royalist, that once be entered the town of Newton, at midnight, and demanded
of the jailer the keys of the prison. When the scared keeper had handed them over, Moody released all the prisoners.
Some years since a key was found near that spot, which is said to be the very one which he got from the jailer.
Moody is said to have come from Kingwood, in the County of Hunterdon, in this State; he was employed by the British
to get recruits in this region, among the Royalists, and to act as spy on the movements of the Whigs. He attempted
to create divisions among them, and weaken their confidence in the leaders of the Revolution. Many wonderful stories
are told about him which cannot be narrated here.
Besides Andover, there are in this township four other smaller places—Springdale, Whitehall, Brighton, and Pinkneyville.
Andover is in the lower extremity of the county, six miles soath of Newton, on
the Sussex Railroad.
In 1714, William Penn, having, by a warrant from the Council of Proprietors, acquired title to a large tract of
land in this county, bacame owner of what was afterwards known as the Andover Iron Mine.
Soon after this the mine, with the lands adjoining, passed into the hands of an English Company, from the County
of Sussex, in England. This company worked the mine until the second year the Revoiutiouary War. At this time Congress
having been informed that iron and steel of the best quality were manufactured here, and. used for purposes of
war by the enemy, directed the Government of New Jersey to secure the mine and work it for the benefit of the United
States. For five years subsequently it furnished iron and steel for the Continental Army. This mine is situated
about one and a half, miles from the present village. For many years after the close of the war it lay deserted,
but is now again in good working order under the direction of the Andover Iron Company. This was the first mine
opened in the county, and attracted attention to the mineral resources which have since been developed so richly
in our hills and valleys.
In 1814 Andover contained Only a mill, a blacksmith’s shop, and. three or four houses. The mill was built by Joseph
Northrup, who owned all the tract of land known as “Furnace Tract,” which then included the site of the village.
Little improvement was made in the village until about thirty years ago, and indeed it may be said to have been
built within the last fifteen years. The buildings all have a fresh appearance, and indicate the thrift and enterprise
of the people. It is the business place of the township. For country residences for city people it affords excellent
advantages. The scenery in the neighborhood is very fine, the air clear and healthful, and the :ihd facilities
excellent, as it connects daily with five trains to New York, and the depot is located eentrally. The present population
is estimated at three hundred
It contains a Methodist and a Presbyterian Church, several good stores, an hotel, two blacksmith shops, and a tin
store. A steam saw-mill, belonging to Mr. Benjamin Totten is situated about a mile above Andover, on the railroad,
and there is another, driven by water-power, belonging to the Hon. Wm. M. Iliff.
METHODIST CHURCH OF ANDOVER.
The first church erected in the place was built by the Bapin 1834, assisted by
a provision in the will of a Miss Hill. But the congregation being small and unable to sustain the worship, it
was (after an effort of nearly twenty years to hold it) sold to Wm. M. ??iff*, who conveyed it to the Methodist
Protestants in 1855. They held it for a time, when it came into the possession of the Methodist Episcopal denomination,
and was at first supplied by pastors from the Newton charge. It was afterwards remodeled and improved; it is now
under the pastoral charge of Rev. W. E. Blakesley.
* Can not read name in book.
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF ANDOVER.
On the seventh of April, 1858, an application was made to Presbytery, by the Rev.
M. Barrett, for the organization of a Presbyterian Church in Andover. A committee was then appointed, which met
on the 25th of September following, at the Academy, in Andover, when the church was organized With welve members.
In the following month Rev. J. Sanford Smith accepted a call from this church and became the first pastor, continuing
in, this relation until the Summer of 1862, during which time the church was built. The church had. then seventy-five
members. After Mr. Smith left, the pulpit was filled by stated supplies until October, 1871, when Rev. Edward Webb
acaccepted a call, and - was installed on the 24th of November following. In 1869, through the influence of Rev.
David Conway, a basement was built, the church fenced and shade trees planted. In the following year a bell was
purchased and placed in the tower. The church stands on a hill north-east of the village.
Is is a little village lying half way between Newton and Andover on the Pequest
The situation of the place is pleasant and desirable. The water-power, which is said to be good, is utilized by
There are, besides, eight or ten dwellings, and a shoolhouse, in which religious services are held on Sabbath by
ministers of several denominations alternately.
The name given to a small number of houses about one mile below Andover, near
the borders of Green.
Is a little hamlet about a mile south of Andover, on the Sussex Railroad. The
largest building was formerly a tavern where the Newark and Oswego stages used to stop.
This is a little mining village, with only a few small cottages. It is in the
upper or north-eastern part of the township.