Green Township Sussex County NJ from
HISTORICAL DIRECTORY OF
SUSSEX COUNTY, NJ
COMPILED BY: EDWARD A. WEBB 1872




Green township has Hampton and Andover on the northeast; Byram is south-east; its south-west boundary line separates it from Warren County; its north-west from Stillwater. The surface is uneven, but not so ragged and mountainous as many of the surrounding townships. The Pequest River. and numerous small streams water it throughout, making it exceedingly fertile and well suited for agricultural purposes. A low range of hills partly separate it from Stillwater. The villages within its limits are Greensville, Huntsville, Tranquility, and Hunt's Mills.

GREENSVILLE.

This village was first settled in 1770 by the Greens and Shiners. The town was named after Epliraim Green who erected several buildings, one of which was a tan-yard, which was opposite the present hotel, where a barn now stands, This business was carried on suuccssfully until 1832. Mr. Amos Shiner, one of the first settlers, erected a still-house and carried on his business, for many years, on the present site of the wheelwright shop.

About two years since the name of the post-office was changed to Lincoln. Originally there was an Indian settlement near the site of the village of which nothing definite is known. The little stone building, just below the village, on the road to Canadatown, now occupied as a dwelling-house was used until recently for the village school, 'and had been for many generations. When the church was built a room was prepared over it for school purposes. The ruins of Shiner's old blacksmith shop still remain. The place now contains an hotel, a wheelwright shop, a store and shoe shop.

GREENSVILLE UNION CHAPEL.

This building was commenced in 1866, and was dedicated on the 14th of November, of the following year. Services had been previously held in the school-house, but the accommodations both for school and religious purposes being insufficient a united effort was made by the school board, and by the Methodists and Presbyterians, to build a Union Chapel, which should accommodate all. This effort resulted in the erection of the building, without delay, at a cost of about $3,500. In 1869 a bell was procured, at a cost of about $100.

HUNTSVILLE.

Huntsville is the name given to a small hamlet, containing not more than forty or fifty people, on the Pequest, two miles west of Andover. It has a store, a blacksmith's and a wheelwright's shop, a saw-mill, and a grist-mill. Recently a large substantial brick building has been erected here for a school.

Tranquility Meeting-House is a large well-built edifice belonging to the Methodista. It is about two miles south of Huntsville, and half a mile from Canadatown. It was finished in the year 1868, at a cost of about $10,000. it is now under the pastoral care of Rev. William H. McCormick, residing at Alainuchi.

CANADATOWN OR TRANQUILITY.

This village was named from Amos H. Canada, who settled in the locality when it contained but two or three farm houses. It is called, by many, Tranquility, from the large Methodist Church near by. Mr. Canada built the grist-mill, the store, and several of the dwelling houses still standing. It is on the Pequest, about three miles south-west of Huntsville. A blacksmith's shop here does the work for Greensville as well as for this place.

HUNT'S MILLS.

This is a post village, sometimes called Washington, situated in the north-western corner, of the township. Just here the surface is very hilly, and farming operations are carried on with unusual difficulty. The water-power, which is excellent, is used to drive two good sized mills, one for grist and the others for lumber.

Return to [ New Jersey History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]