Hudson County, NJ from
HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS OF THE
STATE OF NEW JERSEY
BY: JOHN W. BARBER and HENRY HOWE
PUBLISHED BY S. TUTTLE (NEW YORK) 1844



HUDSON COUNTY.

HUDSON co. was formed from the southern part of Bergen co., Feb. 22d, 1840. This is the smallest county in the state, containing only 75 sq. m. Its extreme length is 14 m., greatest width 7 m. It is bounded N. by Bergen, E. by Hudson river and New York bay, S. by the Kill Van Kuhl, separating it from Staten Island, and Passaic river, dividing it from Essex co., and W. by the Passaic, separating it from Essex and Passaic cos. On the east, the Closter mountain extends through the township of North Bergen and part of Bergen. The remainder of the county is generally level. In the valley of the Hackensack river, which courses centrally through the county, dividing it into two nearly equal parts, is an extensive tract of salt marsh and swampy land, occupying about one third of the area of the county. The cultivated parts of the county are fertile, and considerable quantities of vegetables are raised for the New York market. There were produced, in 1840, wheat, 2,300 bushels; rye, 5,835; Indian corn, 10,875; buckwheat, 3,508; oats, 9,141. Cap. employed in manufac. $411,850. It is divided into the following townships, viz :- Bergen, Harrison, Jersey City, North Bergen, Van Vorst.

The population of the county, in 1840, was 9,436; the same territory, in 1830, contained only about 5,800 inhabitants.

HARRISON.

Harrison was recently formed from the southern part of Lodi. Its extreme length is 9, and average breadth about 3 miles. It is bounded N. by Lodi, Bergen co.; E. by Hackensack river, dividing it from Bergen and North Bergen; S. by Newark bay and Passaic river, the latter separating it from Newark; and W. by the Passaic river, separating it from Newark and Belleville, Essex co., and Acquackanonck, Passaic Co. Pop. 1,173. The surface is mainly level; and more than half of its territory (that bordering on the Hackensack river) is a salt marsh. On the west, along the margin of the Passaic, extends a strip of fine arabic and well-cultivated land, nearly 2 miles in width. Pleasantly situated on the bank of the river, are a number of handsome country-seats, surrounded by highly cultivated grounds, descending with a gradual slope to the water's edge.

The New Jersey railroad crosses the southern part, and the Paterson and Hudson railroad the northern portion of Harrison. The Schuyler copper-mine is in the W. part of the township, near Belleville. It was discovered about the year 1719, by Arent Schuyler. It is a valuable deposit of superior copper ore, and has been extensively worked, with varied success, at different times.

VAN VORST.

Van Vorst was taken from Bergen in 1841; and named from the Van Vorst family, who are extensive landholders in this section. It has long been settled by the Dutch. Within its limits was the ancient town or settlement known as Ahassimus. It is about 1¼ miles long, by ½ a mile wide. It is bounded on the N. by North Bergen, E. by the Hudson river and Jersey City, S. by New York bay, and W. by Bergen and North Bergen. It forms, with Jersey City, an island, cut off from the remaining portion of the county by the Creek of the Woods. The whole of this tract, including Jersey City, is laid out in city lots, and is fast being built upon, and ere many years will be densely populated. Van Vorst now contains 1 Baptist church, 1 Dutch Reformed church, and a population of about 1,500.

Return to [ New Jersey History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]