Allamuchy Township, named from its principal town, was formed from a part of Independence, in 1872. Allamuchy has
the proud distinction of bearing its name longer than any other town in Warren County. Here from time immemorial
was an Indian village called Allamuchahokkingen, or Allamucha, which is mentioned by the earliest surveys of this
region, made in 1715. The earliest white settlers were Quakers. Among the early merchants were James Shotwell,
Stephen Kennedy and Paul Angle. In 1834 it had a grist mill, a saw mill, a grain distillery, a store, a tavern
and a dozen dwellings. It is a station on the Lehigh and Hudson River railroad, is situated near a beautiful lake
bearing its name, and has in its vicinity two of the finest country seats in America.
John Rutherford, a grandson of James Alexander, surveyor-general, and one of the proprietors of New Jersey, settled
on the estate at Tranquility and Allamuchy, still occupied by his descendants. He became a member of the Legislature
in 1788, and in 1790 and again in 1796 was elected to the Senate of the United States. Mr. Rutherford Stuyvesant,
a descendant of Peter Stuyvesant and of John Rutherford, added hundreds of acres to the ancestral estate and called
the whole Tranquility Farms. His kennels won many prizes, and his sheep could not be equalled in America. His game
preserve first made the English phcasant known in our county. A deer park of hundreds of acres is part of the estate.
In 1715 John Reading, a deputy surveyor, on a warrant dated March 10, 1715, laid out for William Penn a tract of
land described as follows: “On both sides of the Paquaessing River upon an Indian path which leads from Allamuchahokin
to Pahackqualong,” which, when modernized, becomes “On both sides of the Pequest River upon an Indian path which
leads from Allamuchy to Pahaquarry.” The Quaker ‘meeting house and burying ground are a part of this tract, and
are at the point where the Indian trail crossed the Pequest on its way from the Delaware across the Kittatinny
Mountain through Marksboro, Johnsonsburg, Allamuchy, Hackettstown, Budds Lake and on to the sea.
The Quaker Settlement has been the name of the locality at the northeastern end of the Great Meadows since 1745.
As early as July of that year public meetings were held for the worship of God. On July 8, 1745, Samuel Wilison,
Jr., was appointed by the Kingwood meeting of Hunterdon County to serve as an overseer at the Hardwick particular
meeting. In 1752 Richard Penn, also a Quaker, and grandson of William Penn, gave a deed for land “for a Friends’
meeting house forever.” A log meeting house was soon built, which was succeeded in 1764 by a substantial stone
structure, which stood for more than a century, or till 1866, when it was torn down, and on its foundations were
built the Quaker public school house.
In this locality settled many families of the Hardwick Society of Friends, who came mostly from Kingwood, New Jersey,
and Bucks County, Pa. Their names were Lundy, Dyer, Willson, Schooley, Willetts, Schmuck, Shotwell, Brotherton
and Laing, and later Adams, Buckley and Hoey,. some of which names are still well known in the vicinity, but since
the dissolution of the society in the families have scattered all over the continent, and only a few of those that
remain are of their ancient belief.
The Quaker Settlement was a station on “the Underground Railroad” between Quakertown, Hunterdon County and the
Drowned Lands of Sussex County, that was used by many fugitive slaves on their way to freedom in Canada.
The Lundy family—Sylvester Lundy, of Axminster County of Devon, England, has a son, Richard Lundy, who was born
in England, emigrated to New England in 1676, settled, 1682, in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and was a Quaker elder.
His son, Richard Lundy, was born in 1692, moved to Allamuchy in 1747, and died there in 1772. He was an elder in
the Society of Friends, and was active in establishing three new meetings or churches, viz :—the Buckingham, the
Plumstead and the Hardwick. He has many descendants in America. Richard Lundy was a justice of the peace in 1749.
At his death he gave to his son, Samuel, all his real estate. He had five sons and four daughters, all of whom
settled and lived their lives in the vicinity.
Warrenville, or Wiretown, was formerly a town doing consider. able business. It had a carriage factory, a foundry,
a store and a hotel. Long Bridge is a station on the L. & H. railroad, and has a creamery. The old stone house
nearby was built by Captain Daniel Vliet.
There are four schools in the township, named Meadville, Saxton Falls, Allamuchy and Quaker. The township. has
at present no churches.
Meadville, called also Arnoldtown and Aiphano, has a muck drying plant capable of preparing thirty tons of muck
a day, which is used as a filler for fertilizers. Many acres of celery, lettuce and onions are cultivated here
on the rich meadow land.
NOTE: The author has received valuable aid from the genealogical publications of William Clinton Armstrong, A.
M., who was born at Johnsonsburg, educated at Princeton, and is now Superintendent, of Schools of New Brunswick,