Greenwich is one of the oldest townships of the county, and at its earliest and greatest extent included all of
the western and central part of the county from the Kittatinny Mountains to the Musconetcong. It was formed before
1738. At that date Samuel Green, Henry Stewart and John Anderson, of Greenwich, voted in Hunterdon County (which
then included Warren) for representatives to the General Assembly. In by the formation of Oxford and Mansfield
Woodhouse, Greenwich was cut down to the limits of Pohatcong, Lopatcong, Phillipsburg, Franklin, and a part of
Harmony. Of these, Franklin was set off in 1839, and Phillipsburg, including Lo'patcong, in 1851. Harmony was formed
the same year from parts of Greenwich and Oxford. Finally, in 1881, Greenwich was cut down to its present size
by the formation of Pohatcong. Greenwich seems to have been named in honor of a Mr. Green, a settler here before
1738, for the locality is referred to in early records as Mr. Green's, or Green's Ridge, Greenridge, Greenage,
Greenidge, and finally Greenwich.
The fattest person ever known was born in Greenwich Township, in 1816, the daughter of Anthony and Catherine Learch.
When nineteen she married William Schooley, also of Greenwich, and they moved to Ohio. She weighed 764 pounds,
and had a waist measure of nine feet six inches, and an arm that was three feettwo inches in circumference.
Two very old burial grounds in this township are that of the Lutheran or Straw Church and that of the old Greenwich
Presbyterian Church, which is one mile down the Pohatcong from the present church and burying ground. In both of
these cemeteries interments were made one hundred and fifty years ago.
The three schools in the township are at Kennedyville, Still Valley and Stewartsville, and employ five teachers.
At Bloomsbury the school is in Hunterdon County.
Kennedyville is chiefly noted for being the site of one of the three oldest Presbyterian churches in the county,
the others being Oxford and Mansfield-Wood-House. The first Presbyterian Church of Greenwich built its first meeting
house between 1739 and 1744- between the time when a call was first made to the Presbytery of New Brunswick for
a supply and the time when David Brainerd records in his journal that he "preached in Greenwich twice on Sabbath,
December 9, 1744." The first church was a log structure, and stood on the south bank of the Pohatcong, near
where the Central railroad crosses the stream a mile from the present structure. It stood upon land formerly owned
by John Riley, 'and more recently by Henry R. Kennedy.
Among the supplies of the three earliest churches are Rev. Robert Cross, Rev. John Cross, Rev. James Campbell,
Rev. Daniel Lawrence, Rev. Azariah Horton, and later Mr. Boyd, Mr. John Clark and James McCrea. "The Rev.
John Roseborough was, previous to 1770, pastor of Greenwich, Oxford and Mansfield Woodhouse." He served till
1769. The churches were vacant until 1775, when Rev. Joseph Treat preached every other Sabbath in Greenwich Church.
He remained until his death in 1797 or 1798. Rev. Francis Peppard and Rev. John Hanna also occasionally preached
in the three churches.
The second church, a substantial one built of stone, was erected in 1775 on the present site, near where the New
Brunswick turnpike crosses the Pohatcong. The present church was built in 1835 from material in the second church,
under the pastorate of Rev. D. X. Junkin, to whose centennial discourse we are indebted for much of the history
of the church. He served the church from 1835 to 1851.
William Kennedy, who was born in Londenderry, Ireland, of Scotch ancestors, in 1695, and emigrated to America in
1730, was the founder of the Kennedy family in the United States. He married Mary Henderson, in Ireland, and lived
in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Their son, Robert, married Elizabeth Henrie, and settled in Greenwich Township.
During the Revolution he was active in furnishing supplies to the army of Washington at Morristown, and for that
purpose gained control of most of the mills in our county and Hunterdon. He was born in 1733 and died in 1813.
His son, Robert, and grandson, Henry Robert, followed in his footsteps and amassed comfortable fortunes. The latter
was president of the Bloomsbury National Bank, and thrice a member of the Legislature. His wife was a daughter
of General John Frelinghuysen, and their sons are John F., Robert H. and Theodore F. Robert H. Kennedy is the father
of Charles E. .W. and Frederick F. Kennedy.
Besides Robert, there came to Greenwich Township in 1771, Thomas and William Kennedy, and their father, from Tinnicum,
Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Thomas had six children, of whom one was the Hon. Robert S. Kennedy, who was born in
1802 and became very prominent in the county and State. He was a lay judge of Warren County and judge of the Court
of Errors and Appeals. He died in 1879. His children are Thomas, Mary, Mrs. James McWilliams, Mrs. Charles T. Kellogg,
John S., Henry M., Mrs. S. D. Carpenter, James M. and Robert S.
Bloomsbury is situated mainly south of the Musconetcong, and is named for the Bloom family, who were formerly influential
here. It was early known as Johnson's Iron Works, which were carried on as early as 1750 by Robert Johnson, on
the north side of the MusconetCong. The name appears as Bloomsburg on a map in 1769, and even at th'at early date
the main road from Phillipsburg to the southeast passed through the place. Captain Benjamin McCullough owned the
mill and several farms in this vicinity, most of which he obtained by marrying the widow of their former owner,
William Henry, in 1758. He was a member of the committee of safety and of the New Jersey Assembly, and was father
of Colonel William McCullough, of Asbury and Washington. Mrs. Benjamin McCullough was "the first lady who
kept her carriage" in this part of New Jersey.
Stewartsville is the largest town in Greenwich. It is pleasantly situated on Merritt's Brook, is a station on the
Morris and Essex division of the D., L. & W. railroad, and has the Morris Canal and the Phillipsburg to Washington
trolley line passing through it. That portion of the town north of the railroad was formerly called Cooksville.
Here Dr. Silas Condict Cook practiced medicine from 1814 till 1842, and then went to Easton. He was the father
of Dr. Lewis C. Cook and Dr. John S. Cook, of Hackettstown. Here also one of the name ran a grist mill in 1850.
Dr. James C. Kennedy practiced in Stewartsville from 1829 to 1851, Dr: P. F. Hulshizer from 1851 to 1894, Dr. S.
S. Kennedy from 1859 to r888, and for a short time Drs. McCosh, Knecht, Beatty, Bartholomew and Warrington. Dr.
Frank W. Curtis is the present efficient physician, who has been here since 1895.
Stewartsville is named after two brothers, Thomas and Robert Stewart, who came from Tinnicum, Bucks County, Pennsylvania,
to Greenwich, in 1793, and who have left many descendants in Warren County. Thomas 'was judge of the Court of Common
Pleas of the county (then Sussex). His children were Robert, Samuel, William, Thomas, Mrs. Joseph Carpenter, Jesse,
John and James. Jesse Stewart married Mary Roseberry, and was the father of Thomas, Michael, Jesse D., Mrs. Richard
Wilson, of Belvidere; Mrs. Peter Pursel, of Ohio; Mrs. William Carter, Mrs. Andrew Lommason, of Belvidere; John,
and Mrs. George Lance, of this township.
The First Lutheran Church of Stewartsville is a daughter of St. James Lutheran, known better as "the Straw
Church." The cornerstone was laid in 1851 for the splendid brick structure. Its pastors have been Revs. Pitt,
Henkel, Barclay, Sheeleigh, Sikes, Sizer, Kelly and others.
Martin Hulshizer, the ancestor of those of that name in Warren County, came from Germany to Phillipsburg shortly
after 1750. His four sons were Christopher, Jacob, Valentine and John M. The latter was born in 1747, and owned
several hundred acres of land in this township, living himself at Bloomsbury. He died about 1811, leaving three
daughters and seven sons-Godfrey, Martin, William, John, Daniel, Andrew and James. Of these, Daniel Huishizer moved
to Stewartsville and became possessed of much property. His children were Andrew, George, Abram C., Dr. Philip
F., Theodore, Henry F., Mrs. Abram Baker, of Martin's Creek, and Mrs. Nicodemus Warne, of Broadway. -
Jacob Creveling was the first of the name in this county. He lived on a farm near Bloomsbury before 1800. One of
his children was George C reveling, who moved to Washington in 1812.
Lewis Cline came from Germany and in 1740 bought two hundred acres of land west of Stewartsville. One of his sons
was also named Lewis, and another Michael. Lewis was born in 1766, and was the father of Jacob, of Lopatcong; John,
of Franklin; Lewis, William and Michael. The latter resided on a part of the ancestral acres all his long life.