The territory that is now known as Lopatcong and Phillipsburg was organized as Phillipsburg Township in 1851. it
retained this name until 1862, when Phiilipsburg was incorporated as a town, and the remainder of the township
was called Lopatcong, which included, until 1903, that portion of Phillipsburg known as Ingersoll Heights, which
was then taken from the township and added to the town.
Low's Hollow is the name of a locality in the eastern end of the township, where was built in 1903 a reservoir
as a water supply for Phillipsburg, but especially for the Ingersoll-Rand Drill Company, which was at that time
building its splendid plant, which furnishes compressed air drills wherever man seeks nature's treasures in the
Delaware Park is a suburb of Phillipsburg, on the macadamized road leading to Belvidere. It is only a half mile
from the trolley at Phillipsburg, and recently organized a fire company with a modern chemical fire extinguisher.
The largest peach orchards in Warren County are those of Joseph Crater's sons, near Uniontown. They contain forty
The only industry besides the pursuit of agriculture in this town ship is the quarrying of a fine quality of soapstone
by Mr. Allen, who employs a dozen men.
Among the early settlers in this township were Matthias Shipman, Matthias Brakeley, George Boyer, John Roseberry
and Abram DeWitt. DeWitt's brothers, Peter and Isaac, settled in Harmony, not far away. All of these families have
been closely connected with the history of Warren County to this day.