BY D. A. STEBBINS, ESQ.
THE TOWN of Almond was originally known as township number four of the seventh
range of townships which belonged to the Pulteney Estate. It was originally a portion of the town of Canisteo in
Steuben county but. when Allegany county was formed in 1806, became a part of Alfred and so remained until by an
act of the legislature March 16, 1821, the town of Almond was formed. Aportion of its territory was taken May 4,
1829, to form Birdsall, and another portion was taken April 15, 1833, to form West Almond. The town contains 27,374
acres of land. The surface is hilly and is separated into several valleys. One valley extends from the county line
southerly through Whitney Valley and is traversed by the Canacadea (formerly Kanakadea) Creek, a tributary of the
Canisteo river. McHenry Valley extends southeasterly through the town from Almond village. North Valley rims from
the west line of the town northeasterly and North Valley creek empties into the Canisteo river at Arkport. A portion
of the soil is sandy, some of it is clay and some loam, and a portion is gravelly and well adapted to raising hay,
grain and potatoes. The Erie railroad crosses the southeastern corner. The population has been: 1830, 1,804; 1835.
2,059; 1840. 1,434; 1845, 1,735; 1850, 1,914; 1855, 1,952; 1860, 1,739; 1865, 1,655; 1870, 1,686; 1875, 1,609;
1880, 1,567; 1890, 1,419; 1892, 1,413.
The first settlement was made in Karr Valley in 1796 by Andrew Gray a clergyman, with Moses Van Cam pen, Henry
McHenry and Joseph 449£thbun, A deed is now in the possession of the writer dated Sept. 27, 1796, from Charles
Williamson of Bath to Joseph A. Rathbun of Sharon. and conveys "all that piece or parcel of land one mile
square, for 449£ 4s., being on lot Number five, situate and lying and being in the Northern quarter of township
number four in the seventh Range of Townships, in the County of Steuben, which said lot number five adjoins the
Indian Line, and contains 647 acres of land, according to the survey made of said lot by George Bailey, in the
month of May, A. D. 1793." The deed is signed by the initials C. W. with seal, and was never recorded. A bond
is also given by Rathbun for the payment of money which is still in existence. This is probably a conveyance of
the first land in Allegany county. and shows that what is now Almond was originally a part of Canisteo. The first
settlers came from Luzerne county, Pa. Joseph Coleman came with the first settlers as far as Canisteo, now Hornellsville,
and assisted in building a gristmill there and the next year, 1797, settled on a farm in Karr Valley. In 1797.
William Gray, Walter Karr, Samuel Karr, Joseph Karr, Silas Ferry, Stephen Major, Benjamin Van Campen, and George
Lockhart also settled in Karr Valley; they came from Wilkesbarre, Pa., and their mode of travel was in open scows
up the Susquehanna River and they propelled their boats or crafts against the current by setting poles. They disembarked
at the Leffert farm in Canisteo, two miles below Hornellsville. There they set up their wagons, upon which they
put their goods, which were drawn by oxen up Karr Valley. There were no roads and they were obliged to cut away
the underbrush in order to pass 'through. From Hornellsville they followed Kanakadea Creek as far as the Joseph
Lincoln place below Almond village; there they bore to the right through an opening in the hill and over sand hills.
When they were within 200 rods of their destination, near where the stone house stands now owned by H. S. Hall,
the wagon on which Mrs. Matthew McHenry was riding overturned and she broke her leg, and her husband and Rev. Andrew
Gray set it successfully. Subsequently Mr. Gray sold out to Stephen Major, who cleared up the farm and occupied
it until he died. Stephen Major was a tailor, and used to go to Angelica, Genesee and other places to make clothes.
Matthew McHenry took up the farm where Lewis McHenry now resides and died in 1801. Samuel Karr took up and settled
upon the farm now owned by J. M. Karr and died in 1843. George Lockhart located where Joseph Lockhart now resides,
and lived to a good old age. Joseph Karr settled where Charles Karr now lives. Mr. Ferry located on the farm now
owned by Clark Cotton. Joseph Coleman took up the farm now owned by Louisa Shephard.
Henry McHenry settled in McHenry Valley. Walter Karr cleared the farm now owned by Orin Crandall. The first settlers
were obliged to go to Bath for groceries and milling for several years. Margaret Karr, the mother of Walter, Joseph
and Samuel Karr and Elizabeth Major, came with her family to Karr Valley in 1798, as near as we can learn. Her
husband had previously died in Luzern Co., Pa. At the Wyoming massacre she stood by the door of their house (her
husband being away) and told the Indians to take everything but spare her children. They took much of the furniture,
killed the stock, and left the family undisturbed. She was a widow when she came to Almond, and lived with her
children after coming here. Mrs. Karr was considered a very skillful nurse, especially in midwifery, and rode long
distances to attend the sick. Her mode of traveling was on horseback. There was then no physician nearer than Bath
or Dansville, and people ten and even twenty miles away were considered neighbors. On one of her journeys her horse
swam the Genesee river at Transit Bridge and she took a heavy cold and ever after was troubled with asthma. Joel
Karr, her grandson, is now living, aged 86 years, and is no doubt the only person living who can remember her.
Her descendants are as the sands of the sea shore. It is said her maiden name was Kerr, and that she was a cousin
of her husband. She was a peacemaker in the community. She died in 1820 at the age of 83.
Whitney Valley was first settled by a Mr. Putman and his two sons, Peter and Jacob, about 1803. They were followed
by Tarbell Whitney in 1806, and Silas Stillman in 1807. The first permanent settler of North Valley was Solomon
David, who located on the Hull farm in 1804 Elihu Knight, with Ardeno Cobb, and Wheeler Hinman settled in the lower
part of North Valley about 1804. Benjamin Hayes, who had been in the Revolutionary War, settled on the Peter Lippencott
farm in 1807. North Hill was settled by William Howe and Charles Cook and his father in 1808. Howe was a very prominent
man in the town, and died about 1870. the oldest resident of the town. John and Jeremiah Van Vechten came from
Montgomery Co. about 1817, and settled near Bishopville. Zenas Ward. grandfather of the Wards now living in North
Valley, was one of the first settlers of that locality.
The first school was opened in Karr Valley by Joseph A. Rathbun in 1802 in a log schoolhouse on the hill, near
the residence of L. A. Rathbun. The building was covered with bark. The first child born was Henry McHenry, son
of Matthew and Anna McHenry, Feb. 1, 1798, although Sally Coleman, oldest child of Joseph and Mary Coleman, was
born July 10, 1797 at Hornellsville. Her parents lived at Almond but were at Hornellsville when the child was born.
The first marriage was that of Peter Putnam and Polly Waters in 1804, celebrated by Rev. Andrew Gray in Karr Valley.
The first death was in 1801, that of Matthew McHenry, aged about two years. He was son of Matthew McHenry. Walter
Karr was taken prisoner by the Indians at the Wyoming Massacre and was kept in captivity until the close of the
war. The first log house was built in Karr Valley by Rev. Andrew Gray in 1796, and the first frame house in 1802
by the same gentleman. The first brick house was built by Rufus Whitney. Matthew McHenry and Joseph A. Rathbun
died of fever in 1813.
The first annual town meeting was held at David Crandall's inn, in Karr Valley, the first Tuesday in April, 1821;
Tarbell Whitney was moderator. Thefollowing persons were elected town officers: Supervisor, Silas Stillman; town
clerk, L. S. Rathbun; assessors, Roswell W. Knight, David Crandall, George Lockhart; commissioners of highways,
Lawrence Clark, Joseph Karr and Daniel McHenry; collector, George Lamphere; overseers of the poor, Stephen Major
and Henry McHenry; constables, George Lamphere, Carey McKay, and Amos S. Masson; school commissioners, L. S. Rathbun,
William Howe and Henry McHenry; inspectors of schools, Roswell W. Knight, Samuel Karr and William Burdick. The
11 families who first settled in Karr Valley reared altogether 88 children who lived to be men and women.
Phineas Stevens was the first settler of what is now Almond village. George Stevens, his son, built the first mill
about 1809. The whole of the land now occupied by Almond village, and much more, was once owned by the Stevens,
and was later sold to the brother in law of George Stevens, the Hon. Joseph Corey. David Crandall kept the first
tavern. William Rodgers opened the first general assortment store, with Joseph Corey as clerk for a number of years.
A. L. Dawson was Almond's first physician and postmaster. Wm. R. Rodgers the second postmaster, and Joseph Corey
the third postmaster. The first distillery was built by George Stevens in 1816. He also built a hotel where Whitwood's
blacksmith shop stands. The first store at the "upper battery" was built by George Stevens and Joseph
Corey in 1827.
Hon. Joseph Corey was born at Luzern Co., Pa., in 1802. He had three brothers. Rufus, Jenks and Ansell, who were
killed in a battle with the Indians near Wilkesbarre. His father escaped by hiding under the river bank and was
later killed in a fall in a gristmill at Almond when but 56 years old. Mr. Corey had a younger brother killed at
Whitesville on a Fourth of July by the bursting of a cannon. Mr. Corey when a boy worked one half month driving
oxen and received a penknife and a vest pattern amounting to 50 cents for his half month's work. Mr. Corey was
a strong Democrat but strongly opposed to slavery. In 1850 he was elected to the legislature, and served one term.
In 1862 a meeting of loyal citizens was called. Mr. Corey was elected chairman. He offered $5 to each man who would
enlist, and $50 extra to the man who would go as his substitute. Ebenezer Lowe, aged 26, was the man who went in
his place. In 1822 he opened a store for himself, and continued in the mercantile business at Whitesville and Almond
until 1847, when he turned his attention to farming. He married Mary Smith in 1838 and had five children. She died,
and in 1864 he married Elizabeth Wygant, of New York City, who survives him. He was a man of more than ordinary
ability, and even in his last years could remember what had transpired in his early life. He died Jan. 10, 1893,
The original settlers of North Valley with but few exceptions are all gone and have left but few descendants living
there; some of the Wards are still there, descendants of the original settlers. Judge William Hawley lived in North
Valley 60 or 70 years ago. He was the father of Miles Hawley of Hornellsville and Clark Hawley dec. The Van Vechtens,
who were original settlers of North Valley, are all gone. Silas Stillman, an early settler of Whitney Valley, has
two sons Joseph and Silas living in Whitney Valley who are old men. Daniel Stillman, another son, died the past
year leaving his wife and two sons, Horace and Elisha, who live in Whitney Valley, and Dr. Stillman who lives in
Andover. Horace is now postmaster at Almond. Benjamin Van Campen came here accompanied by his widowed mother who
kept house for him until he married. She died an old lady about 80 years ago. Her husband was killed by the Indians
when Moses was taken prisoner. Mr. Van Campen kept the first tavern in town, and helped dig the first grave.
The Bath and Olean Turnpike, constructed by the agents of the Pulteney Estate, surveyed in 1808 by Oliver Miller,
ran through the town nearly east and west, and was completed about 1811 or 1812. It was the great thoroughfare
of immigration to Ohio and other western states.
For almost a generation no other fanning mills were used in Western New York than those made by Hon. George W.
Patterson at Leicester. Doty's History of Livingston county says, "In the spring of 1821 Mr. Patterson had
much wheat in store at Almond where it could not be sold for ready money. The cost of taking it to Rochester, the
nearest cash market, was 3 shillings a bushel, and its price there not quite 32 cents, and it was traded for boards
on the river at Olean. Seven bushels were given for 1.000 feet. Mr. Patterson became a raftsman, floated his lumber
down to Cincinnati, sold it (after taking it out of the water and piling it on the bank) for $7 per M in wildcat
currency, then worth 60 cents a dollar, but which depreciated ten cents a day until it was worthless. On arriving
home his answer as to what he made was I have saved myself.'" Mr. Patterson's successor in the manufacture
of these mills was Henry G. Taylor, who moved the business to Wellsville. and met a sad death by freezing some
years later in the north part of the county. — EDITOR.
In 1836 the New York & Lake Erie Co. commenced to grade at Almond on the first survey. It was then expected
the divisions of the railroad would terminate here, but in 1850, when the road was re-organized, Hornellsville
was made the division terminus.
Of the first settlers of Karr Valley, Matthew McHenry had seven children; one of them Henry McHenry, the oldest,
was the first male child born in the town, Henry married Mary Rathbun, they raised two daughters, Ann and Irene,
Ann married Attorney Milo H. Wygant and died long ago: Irene married Rev. Wm. Luke and is living. Philip, another
son of Matthew McHenry, married Sally Karr. They had nine children. Five sons and three daughters are living in
Almond, V. B. McHenry, Marion. Walter, Henry, Elizabeth Mack, Mary Mack and Julia A. Young. Joseph, another son
of Matthew McHenry, died about two years ago. He has one son. Lewis, and one daughter, Rebecca. They both live
on the old homestead in Karr Valley. Maria, a daughter of Matthew McHenry. married Joel Karr. who now lives in
Karr Valley. Mr. Karr is now about 87 years old; his wife has been dead for many years. They have 5 children living
(one son was killed in the army) Henry Karr, Mrs. Joseph Lockhart, Mrs A L. Litchard. Mrs. Dewitt Berry, Mrs. Henry
Joseph Coleman, one of the pioneer settlers, was born in Pennsylvania, married Mary Doderer and settled in Karr
Valley in 1797, had four daughters and six sons. Sarah. the first child born in the town. married John McIntosh.
They had eight children, four sons and four daughters. Phineas now lives below the village of Almond. Hiram, who
had been a prominent man in town for many years. died in 1894, and one daughter, Jane Lincoln. lives below the
village. Ann, daughter of Joseph Coleman. married Peter Harman. They have two sons and one daughter now living.
Amasa and George Harman, and Maria. wife of Nathaniel Perry, all living in or near Almond. Benjamin Coleman, a
son of Joseph, married Nancy Major. He had one son, Stephen M., now living at Almond. Mr. Coleman has been a prominent
man for many years, and to him we are under obligation for some of this family history. His mother, "Aunt
Nancy" Coleman died the past year aged 85. Matthew Coleman, another son of Joseph, married Harriet Rathbun,
daughter of Hon. L. S. Rathbun. They had one son, V. B. Coleman, now living at Belmont. John Coleman, another son
of Joseph, married Jane Marvin. For many years he drove stage in Allegany county. Two of his sons, Matthew and
Chester, served honorably in the late war. Robert H. Coleman married Mary Karr. They had one son, J. W. Coleman,
lately deceased. Joseph Coleman, another son, married Sally Charles, and had one daughter (now Louise Shephard)
who lives on and owns the farm upon which her grandfather first settled. Irene Wakeman, another daughter of Joseph
Coleman, is the wife of Dr. Joel Wakeman now living at Painted Post.
Samuel Karr married Margaret Lockhart. They had four sons and five daughters, none now living. Walter Karr, taken
prisoner by the Indians during the Revolutionary war, married Amy Neal and raised three sons and seven daughters,
none living. Joseph Karr married Ann Lockhart first and Sally Whitney second, raising two children, Margaret and
Isaiah by the first wife and Lois, Joel and Joseph by the second. Isaiah and Joel were prominent men, both having
held the office of supervisor of the town. Joel and Joseph are living in Almond. Two sons of Isaiah, Samuel S.
and Charles still live in Almond. Samuel Karr's son James had three sons, William, Samuel and Wilson. Samuel and
Wilson are still living. William had one son Edward P., now a postal clerk, and two daughters, Gertrude and Anna
(wife of Bert Dungan), all live in Almond. George and Hiram, sons of Samuel Karr, were deacons in the Presbyterian
church. Hiram died a few years ago, leaving Fred, Walter and Alta, wife of S. S. Karr, who live in Almond, and
George, who lives in Tennessee. Parker, son of Samuel, died several years ago, leaving one son, J. M. Karr, now
living in Almond. He had two daughters now dead.
Joseph A. Rathbun had three sons and five daughters. The oldest son, L. S. Rathbun, was a man of prominence in
town affairs and represented the county in the legislature two terms. John was a prominent music teacher in an
early day; the eight children are all dead.
Stephen Major married Elizabeth Karr. They had five sons and one daughter, all dead. One of his sons, Samuel, married
Susie McHenry. They had three children all long since dead; Thomas married Lydia Hyde, raised two sons and two
daughters, Charles of Scio, John and Elizabeth of Almond, and Mary Hurlburt of Arkport. Walter married Henrietta
King. John married Cyrena Rathbun, had two sons and four daughters.
George Lockhart, a pioneer settler, married Major Moses Van Campen's oldest daughter Mary, had five sons and two
daughters. Joseph is living on the old homestead, Alfred is living in Washington, Mary Lockhart, a daughter, lives
in Almond. One of the daughters now dead married Henry Crandall.
Silas Ferry married Jerusha Goss. They had four sons and three daughters, none now living. Elijah and Andrew,
grandsons, are living here. Mr. Ferry dropped dead while fighting fire in the woods.
Christopher Saunders, born in Rhode Island, came here about 1814. He died not long after. His widow resided here
with her family for several years. John and Billings Saunders, sons of Christopher, went to Genesee. Billings married
Mary A., daughter of Rufus Green of Belfast, settled in Genesee, was a farmer and carpenter. He died in 1892. His
children were Louisa, Eugene and Lois.
David Vincent, a son of Joshua, was born in Petersburg, N. Y., and came to Alfred when a boy with Judge Clark Crandall.
He married Freegift, daughter of Christopher Saunders, and made his home in Almond on the farm now owned by his
son Joseph. He was assessor several years. His sons Nathan H., Eli S. B., and John C. were soldiers in the Civil
Jesse Ferrin, born in Grafton Co., N. H., in 1807, married Angelina Sims and settled in Almond in 1841. He combined
shoemaking and farming. His wife died in 1889 and he in September, 1892. They had three sons and one daughter.
Rufus Whitney, son of Tarbell and Lois Whitney, was born in Pennsylvania, came to Almond in 1806. His wife was
Laura Pickett. Mr. Whitney was a well known carriage maker. He was a deacon of the Presbyterian church.
Thornton F. Curry came from East Sparta to Almond early and settled on the farm now owned by his son, Rev. Amos
F. and his grandson, Thornton F. Mr. Curry was justice of the peace several years, was postmaster at Almond many
years. He was much interested in educational work. He died in 1887, his wife Sarah (Letts) Curry died in 1882.
Abel Hosley, son of Samuel, was born in Pepperell. Mass. He married Hannah Warner, came to Friendship about 1837,
and about 1842 to Almond, and located on the farm now owned by his son, Levi W. He was a farmer and a cooper.
David Crandall came to Almond later than those mentioned above, and kept a store. He had two sons, Henry, who married
Elizabeth Lockhart (who died many years ago), and Leonard, who married Frances, daughter of Charles Barnard. He
also had three daughters, Sarah, wife of Hon. Alfred Lockhart of Angelica. Mary, wife of Horace Dart, and Elizabeth,
who married a Terry and died many years ago. Henry now lives just below the village and Leonard in this village.
Karr Valley cheese factory was built by B. B. McHenry and H. Coleman in 1866. In 1867 Walter McHenry purchased
it and is the present proprietor. It can use the milk of 400 cows, was not running in 1895.
McHenry Valley cheese factory is owned by E. P. Fenner of Alfred. It uses the milk of 150 cows and 53,000 lbs.
of cheese were made in 1894.
The Turnpike cheese factory was built in 1892 by I. N. Helmer. In 1894 John C. Vincent purchased it. The milk of
100 cows is used.
Bishopville cheese factory, built by A. L. McIntosh in 1891, uses the milk of 250 cows.
Supervisors. - 1821, Silas Stillman; 1822, Asa Lee Davidson; 1823, George Lockhart; 1824-26, Roswell W. Knight;
1827, '28, David W. Crandall; 183o, Elias Hull; 1829, '31, '33, Jesse Angell; *1840, Samuel Major: 1842, '67, Isaiah
Karr;1843, Elias Hull; 1844, John Major; 1846-48, P. A. Stebbins; 1847, Zabael C. Handy; 1849, Joseph Corey; 185o,
'51, Asher C. Smith; 1852, John Ferry; 1853, '62, Charles B. Barnard; 1854, '57, '61. Benjamin Coleman; 1855, Isaac
Rawson; 1856, A. E. Scoville; 1858, '63, James W. Black; 1859, Joel Karr; 1860, Peter Lippencott; 1864, '65, '66,
Wesley Brown; 1867, '68-70, John J. Upson; 1871-73, Abram Wyant; 1874, '78, Elias Hopkins; 1875, '76, R. P. Sisson;
1877, Charles S. Hall; 1878, Elias Hopkins; 1879, Charles Hall; 1880, '81, John J. Upson; 1882. '83, D. C. Hopkins;
1884, '85, '86, Joseph Lockhart; 1887, '88, Wesley Gibbs; 1889, Walter McHenry; 1890, '91, Fred Halsey 1892, '93,
W. C. Benjamin; 1894, '95, E. E. Sisson.
Town Officers 1895. - Supervisor, E. E. Sisson; town clerk, W. H. Hagadorn; justices D. A. Stebbins, J. A. Burdick.
George Collins. A. J. Fenner; assessors, William Ostrander, Dart Hosley, William White; road commissioners, Melvin
E. Palmer, T. D. Kline; collector, C. T. Emery, Charles Ferry; overseers of poor, Ward Vincent, James L. Sisson,
Milton Cottrell; inspectors of election, 1st district, Homer Emery, C. W. McIntosh; inspectors, 2d district, Fred
Wilcox, Ward Prior: constables, Milo Tucker, Chas. Easterbrooks, Fred Smith, L. D. Kline, Myrton Spencer; excise
commissioners, John J. Upson, Abram Wyant, Albert Burdick.
Almond Village. - Disturnell's Gazetteer, published at Albany in 1842, says the village of Almond then contained
about 400 inhabitants, 60 dwellings, 1 Presbyterian and 1 Baptist church, 2 taverns, 6 stores, 1 gristmill, 2 sawmills
and 1 tannery. The present population is about 600. There are 3 drygoods and grocery stores, 1 restaurant, 1 drug
store, 2 hotels, 2 gristmills, 3 blacksmith shops, 1 wagon shop, 2 printing offices, 2 hardware stores, 3 doctors,
1 lawyer and 2 resident ordained ministers.
In 1868 a brick academy building was erected by a tax of $7,000 upon the property of the town and a subscription
of $3,000, and a seminary was maintained for several years. Among the principals were Rev. Mr. Bingham, Prof. Crawford
and Rev. Rufus King; owing to the bitterness which grew out of the taxation to build it the school never prospered
and was closed and the building sold a number of years ago. The building is now owned by H. G. Stillman and used
as a storehouse and hall.
Although at the breaking out of the Rebellion Almond was about half Democratic, under the leadership of such Democrats
as the Hon. Joseph Corey she sent her full share of soldiers to the front. Among the old soldiers who live in this
town now are S. S. Karr, who was a long time in prison and very severely wounded; George W. Stearns; Milo Tucker,
now deputy sheriff; Charles W. McIntosh, Walter McHenry, who has been supervisor of the town; Matthew McHenry,
Joseph W. Emery, Walter B. Amidon, J. W. Wilner, C. M. Jones, Charles Brink, Sylvanus Whitford, Walter C. Knight,
Jackson Ayers, H. D. Palmer, Marion McHenry, Charles Humphrey, Collins Burdick, Mr. Lincoln, John Vincent, Martin
Carpenter and William Flint, who live in the north part of town, and perhaps others.
Jesse Angel came to Almond from Dansville about 1828. He taught school and read law in Dansville and was a prosperous
merchant here for years. He married Elizabeth Coon. They had four children, all dead except Elizabeth, and Maria
A., wife of F. G. Hall, both of Dansville. Mr. Angel moved to Dansville in 1855, and died in 1866 about 66 years
Charles S. Hall, son of Justin, was born in Dansville, Nov. 15, 1833. His parents died when Charles was 9 or 10
years old and he went to live with his uncle Hiland S. Hall, father of F. G. Hall of Dansville and H. S. Hall,
a former resident of Almond. He came to Almond in 1851, was in the employ of Mr. Angel until 1860, and then went
to Dansville as his partner. He was one of the executors of Mr. Angel's will, and later came to Almond and spent
the balance of his life. He married Lucy Perine of Dansville, was supervisor of Almond two or three years and represented
the county in the assembly two years.
E. W. Ewers, for many years a merchant in Almond, came from Warren Co., Pa., in 1847. He was a deacon in the Presbyterian
church and postmaster and merchant for years. His first wife was Ann Hunter. They had two children, one now living
in Nebraska. In 1867 he married Mrs. Samantha Kennedy. Mr. Ewers died several years ago, his wife is still a resident
Elias Hopkins was born in Luzern Co., Pa.: in 1817, came to Almond with his father, Daniel; in 1831. He was engaged
in the carriage manufacture for some years. He married Lucinda Forbes and died several years ago. His wife lives
with her son Daniel C. Hopkins. Mrs Alvin Berry is his daughter. Daniel C. Hopkins, son of Elias, lives on a farm
just below Almond in Hornellsville but still owns the farm owned by his father in Almond and runs a nursery and
fruit farm. He was born in Almond and has represented it on the board of supervisors. He married Sarah, daughter
of Henry W. Crandall.
Manufacturing Interests. — The first mill was built in 1808 or 1810 by Stephen Webb, and sold in 1812 or 1813 to
Joseph Corey, Sr., who repaired it, and, at his death in 1816, it was sold to a son in law of Mr. Corey, Benjamin
F. Hayes, who rebuilt it and sold it to Jesse Angel in 1830. Mr. Angel sold it to Evan Davis who was a very successful
miller. Edward Halsey owned it at one time and sold it to J. M. Wetherby who sold it to Ira Cutler. It is now gone.
It was also owned by Mr. Rudiger and by W. Slingerland and also by Wm. Richardson. The Gibbs gristmill was built
in 1868 by Isaac Rawson. Hiram McIntosh and Joel Farnsworth. It was burned and was rebuilt by Wesley and Jesse
Gibbs, and is now owned by O. W. Roby. It has 2 runs of stones and 2 double sets of rollers. The upper or red gristmill
has been built a long time and is now run by Mr. Shull. A woolen mill was built in the south part of the town by
Elisha Potter. It was owned by N. G. Hadsell for several years and was burned six or eight years ago. The first
woolen mill in this vicinity was built in the lower part of the village just back and a little below Bennett's
hotel, by a man named Fuller. he sold to Alexander Heard, and Heard sold to Hiram Cutler about 1822. A large tannery
was built in 1850 by Chase, Rushmore, Stone & Co. It was converted into a mowing machine factory by Isaac and
David Rawson and afterwards removed to Hornellsville. The building is now used by Charles Humphrey as a planing
mill. The Richardsons built a large three story building about 1860, and employed a large number of men there in
shoe manufacturing and in tanning for several years. The business was moved to Hornellsville by William Richardson
who still continues the business there. Thomas Richardson from Utica located in West Almond in the thirties, buying
a farm on Jersey Hill and was a shoemaker. In 1843 he came to Almond, devoted himself to shoemaking, and by 1850
developed quite a manufactory which was conducted by himself and sons William, Washington and A. J., with ever
increasing capacity for over 30 years. A large tannery was also operated by them. The factory is owned by A. J.
Fenner and used as a. general store. The postoffice is now kept in this building. There are lodges of Maccabees,
A. A. U. and Equitable League of America in existence here.
Former Residents. — Charles Barnard was a partner of Jesse Angel for some time. He had two daughters, Mrs. Ira
Cutler (dec.) and Mrs. L. D. Crandall. Clement Curtis for many years the only harness maker in town was a partner
with A. W. Witter for several years. Mr. Curtis died a year or two ago and Mr. Witter is in Minnesota. Mr. Curtis
had one daughter, Mrs. Hiram Nephew, who lives in Almond. Col. Jesse B. Gibbs in 1831 located in West Almond on
the Turnpike, build a dwelling, opened it as a hotel and kept it ten years. He moved to Almond in 1865. He was
born in Tompkins county in 1809. Mr. Gibbs served five years as supervisor of West Almond, eight years as justice
of the peace and held the office of colonel of the militia by appointment from Governor Marcy. He died several
years ago. He had several children, only one. Wesley, now lives in Almond. Asa Sisson, born in Washington county,
R. I., in 1814, came to Alfred in 1830, married Amy Place, later moved to Almond and died here. He had one son,
Rodman P., who now lives in this town. George Howell kept hotel here for years, moved to Wellsville and died there.
Ira Dixson lived here many years, kept a drug store and died about three years ago. He had two sons, Fred and John
B., both living but not in Almond. Ira Cutler was a prominent resident for many years, and died ten or twelve years
ago. J. M. Wetherby, for many years a prominent hardware merchant, died about one year ago.
Presbyterian Church. — The first church was organized in what is now this town in 1798 or 1799, and was first
a Dutch-Reformed church. It was organized by the Rev. Andrew Gray and he became its pastor; Mr Gray was the first
pastor in Allegany county, and is described by Judge Philip Church as "a broad shouldered man of extraordinary
muscular power and was a very earnest preacher." May 5, 1812, it was re-organized into a Presbyterian church.
The difference is not material. There is no doubt but that this is the first church formed in Allegany county.
At the re-organization Rev John Niles of Bath presided. There were 21 members: George Hornell, Hornellsville, Christopher
and James Hurlburt of Arkport, Henry McHenry, Samuel Karr, Enos Seward, Silas Ferry, Nathan Corey, Betsy Hurlburt,
Margaret Karr, Jerusha Ferry, Elizabeth Major, Sophia Hayes, Amy Karr, Martha Hornell, Sally Karr, Priscilla McHenry,
Philo Moffitt, Elizabeth Hurlburt, Amy McHenry and Abigail Hurlburt. These were the first members of the re-organized
church. Henry McHenry, Samuel Karr and Christopher Hurlburt were appointed the first elders. Rev. Robert Hubbard
was engaged as the first pastor of the re-organized church and divided his time between the Almond and Angelica
churches until 1829. Rev. James Cahoon was the next pastor and remained until 1831. The Rev. Moses Hunter was the
next pastor, commencing his labors in June, 1832, and continuing until April, 1839. About the first of Mr. Hunter's
pastorate 35 new members united with the church. Mr. Hunter left the church at his own request to found a mission
institute in Illinois in company with the Rev. Dr. Nelson, author of "Causes and Cure of Infidelity."
Rev. Abial Parmelee was the next pastor. (The greatest religious interest in the town was under the preaching of
the Rev. DeWitt C. Littlejohn, who was afterwards tried and deposed from the ministry by the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Littlejohn was of the rough type of preachers and used very startling expressions. At the present time it would
be difficult for such a preacher to do much good. His trial occurred during the pastorate of Mr. Parmelee.) Mr.
Parmelee remained until April 1, 1844. The Rev. Dr. Joel Wakeman, then a young man, was called as pastor Sept.
1, 1844. He remained as pastor until 1865. Under his pastorate the membership and influence of the church largely
increased. He was the most noted pastor the church has ever had. He was an earnest anti slavery advocate, and contributed
largely to form the anti slavery public sentiment which made Allegany county Republican in 1856. Dr. Wakeman, now
living at Painted Post, is 86 years of age, and to him the writer is under obligation for some of the early history
here recorded. Rev. R. G. Allen succeeded Dr. Wakeman, in January, 1866, and in 1867, Rev. J. G. Ogden became pastor
until 1871, when Dr. Wakeman again supplied the pulpit two years. Rev. D. K. Steele succeeded Dr. Wakeman for several
years. Rev. L. S. Boyce, a young man from Ohio, a graduate of Princeton, was engaged as pastor, remained about
two years, and is now in Nebraska. Rev. Bradbury was the next pastor, remained about two years, he died a couple
of years ago at Howard. Mr. Bradbury was succeeded by Rev. J. D. Hillman who resigned after about two years. The
church is now presided over by the Rev. Frank H. Bisbee, born at Deposit, N. Y., July 31, 1869, graduated from
the Deposit High School in 1889, afterwards attended Park College and graduated from Auburn Theological Seminary
May 10, 1894. He was ordained at Cuba, N. Y., by the Presbytery April 18, 1894, took charge of the Almond church
June 1, 1894 and was installed as pastor May 15, 1895. The present membership is 167, with a Sunday school of 125,
and a Christian Endeavor Society of 40. The first church edifice that originally stood on the parsonage lot was
built in 1814 and sold for $25 to the late Thomas Major and is now a part of the barn of S. S. Karr. The present
church edifice was erected in 1835, enlarged in 1851, and again repaired in 1868.
The Baptist Church was organized by a council of five churches in a schoolhouse near the former residence of Mr.
Dake in North Valley. Feb. 15, 1826. Two ordained ministers attended this organization, Elders Jonathan Post and
Richard Hunt. There were 17 male and 19 female members. Rev. Hunt served as pastor until April 1, 1828. and was
succeeded by Rev. Oviatt, who preached two Sundays in a month. In 1830 Elder Bemis (who came to Almond as a missionary,
preaching at the schoolhouse) became pastor for one year and a half; he was followed by Elder Randall. and he by
Elder Bemis who became pastor a second time. Henry McHenry and David Clark were two of the first deacons ordained.
L. S. Rathbun was also a prominent officer of the church. He also served the county in the legislature in 1824.
Benjamin Coleman, Esq., was until his death an active member. His brother Matthew Coleman became a member and later
pastor. The present church edifice was erected in 1833, Mr. George Stevens being a leading man in the movement
and contributing largely of his own means for its completion. It was remodeled and repaired in 1858, while the
Rev. J. W. Kennott was pastor. Some of the pastors who have served the church are Rev. R. B. Carrier and Rev. Charles
Smith. Rev. James Summerbell. Seventh day Baptist, supplied for a time. Mr. Carrier was pastor for 1875 and 1876,
and died at Almond in August, 1876. after an illness of two days. The present pastor is Rev. J. G. Mahoney, who
was born in 1840 in County Kerry. Ireland, in the town of Toherbawn, parish of Kimberly, and came to this country
in 1859. was converted to Protestantism. and after preparing himself at the theological school at Rochester, was
ordained and has since preached at West Almond, Woodhull and Almond. The church was 'once the largest church in
the Allegany County Baptist Association. Its present membership is 68, with a Sunday school of 56 scholars (an
average attendance of 30), and a Christian Endeavor Society of 25.
Methodist Episcopal Church. — It is not known exactly when the Almond Methodist church was formed but probably
about 1848, for Flotchkin in his History of Western New York speaks of it in that year as being "small and
weak and without an appropriate house of worship." This church held its first services in the schoolhouse
in Almond village. Under the ministration of the Rev. Mr. Post from 1856 to 1858 the society erected its present
church edifice The church received large additions in the spring of 1878, was repaired and refitted, and again
repaired and refitted at a cost of $537 in the spring of 1894 under the pastorate of L. A. Simmons, the present
pastor. It now has 67 members, with a Sunday school of 65, and an Epworth League of 52 members.
A Protestant Methodist church was erected in North Almond Valley by a Mr. Bishop, a resident of that section of
the town, at his own expense in 1852 and 1853, and at the death of Mr. Bishop his son moved to Friendship. It was
after the first Mr. Bishop that the name of the postoffice at that place derived its name. Church services have
been maintained in this building by various branches of the Methodist church ever since.
Personal Mention. — Alfred H. Armstrong, a lifelong resident, is now a retired farmer and lives in Almond village.
Squire J. Bailey was born in Almond in 1847, and is a prominent farmer. He married Martha A., daughter of Hiram
McIntosh. S. P. Cottrell came to Almond in 1833. is a wool buyer. Orin B. Crandall, a native of Rhode Island came
to Almond in 1850, was born 1828. Christopher F. Emery, born in Hornellsville in 1841, is a teacher and farmer.
Andrew J. Fenner, merchant, has been justice several years. His father, Isaac. came from Rhode Island about 1818
with a one horse wagon. and settled in Alfred. Mr. Fenner has the largest general store in Almond in company with
his sons, Lewis and Lavern. N. G. Had sell was a former owner of the Pheonix Woolen Mill. Walter Hosley, born in
Friendship in 1840. farmer and drover. J. M. Karr, born in Almond in 1850, prominent farmer. Joel Karr the oldest
native resident of the town has been supervisor and justice, is 86 or 87 years old. J. C. Van Dusee is the oldest
resident of the town. He is about 90 years of age. Samuel S. Karr was born in Almond in 1840. In 1861 he enlisted
in Co D, 86th N. Y., served four years and was a long time in prison. He is one of Almond's most prosperous farmers.
Joseph Lockhart, born in Almond, married Anna, daughter of Joel Karr, in 1865. He is one of Almond's most responsible
farmers. Walter McHenry was a soldier, has been supervisor and justice. Hiram Nephew was born in Almond in 1844,
became clerk for Jesse Angel in his fourteenth year, was a partner of the late C. S. Hall and is now a prosperous
merchant. Abizer Phillips, born in 1830, is a prosperous farmer of McHenry Valley. Andrew J. Root, born in Almond
in 1829, married Sophronia Watkins, is a prosperous farmer. His brother Erastus, born in 1824, is also a prosperous
farmer. Niles M. Steadman, born in Livonia in 1847, came to Allegany county in 1849, is a prosperous retired farmer
and lives with his mother in Almond. Amos Terwilliger, carpenter, born in Almond in 1833. Joseph Vincent, prominent
farmer, married the daughter of Asa Sisson. Charles White, farmer, born in 1845. Cyrus White, prosperous farmer,
lives on his farm near Bishopville. William White, farmer, is now assessor. C. C. Wilcox. farmer, born in Almond
in 1828. Abram Wyant was born in 1826 came to Almond in 1851, married Maria Bailey of Burns. Mr. Wyant has held
the offices of supervisor, assessor, and collector. Theodore Wyant. born in Hornellsville in 1851, is a prosperous
farmer. F. J. Taylor is a merchant of Almond. Dart Hosley, drover, is an assessor. E. S. Schofield is druggist.
John J. Upson, son of Willis B. Upson, who came to Almond in 1831. was born in 1833, has been supervisor five terms
and has probably held that office more terms than any other man in town, was appointed loan commissioner for Allegany
county by David B. Hill and held the office for nine years. is a prominent Democrat. Sylvanus Young, a retired
farmer. drove stage from Almond village to the depot for many years, is about 86 years of age. Charles W. McIntosh,
born in Almond, Jan. 19, 1837, enlisted August 6th in Co. H, 130th N. Y., afterwards transferred to 1st N. Y. Dragoons,
was promoted from first sergeant to first lieutenant for meritorious service in the face of the enemy was brevetted
captain of cavalry. In 1875 was elected school commissioner of the first district of Allegany county, has held
the office of justice of the peace and other offices and now resides on the farm owned and occupied by his grandfather
about 1812. Elmer E. Sisson, born in Alfred in 1853, was a son of Joseph M. Sisson. His father was a soldier. Mr.
Sisson has been collector of this town and is now the supervisor. John Marvin is a lifelong resident of Allegany
county. His mother was Mary A. McHenry, a daughter of one of the old settlers of Almond. Mr Marvin is a carpenter
and lives in Almond village. Charles Karr is a prosperous farmer of Karr Valley. Nathan M. Farnum, Esq., born in
West Almond in 1835, studied law for a time in the office of Martin Grover, at Angelica, went in 1864 to Idaho
and Montana, followed mining for about twenty years, returned to Almond about 1889 and is now a farmer. Has been
justice of the peace for the past three years. Isaac N. Helmer, senior member of the firm of Helmer Sisson &
Co., dealers in flour and feed, was postmaster at Almond under Harrison, and has held assessor and other town offices.
The other member of the firm is Charles W. Sisson, only son of Rodman P. Sisson. Fred Halsey, born in Almond, was
son of Lewis Halsey. His mother was Angeline Allen the daughter of Ebenezer Allen. Mr. Halsey married Miss Sisson,
a sister of E. E. Sisson, has held the office of supervisor for two years. He is a prosperous farmer of McHenry
Valley. Wm. Ostrander, a prosperous farmer of McHenry Valley, married a daughter of Ebenezer Allen. He has been
road commissioner several terms and is now assessor. Clinton Moss, a prosperous farmer, is an officer in the Presbyterian
church. Henry C. McIntosh is a farmer and prporietor of cider mill. Charles T. Ferry is a prosperous farmer and
dealer in hay. John B. Ferry is a farmer and deacon of the Presbyterian church Elmer Ferry was born in Almond,
is a prosperous farmer. Rodman P. Sisson was born in Allegany county, and has always lived here. He is the son
of Asa Sisson. He married Carrie Terwilliger. They have two children, Charles W. and Mrs. N. F. Allen of Hornellsville.
Mr. Sisson is one of the most responsible men in Almond, owns two large farms, lives in Almond village and has
been supervisor several terms. Wesley Gibbs, son of Jesse B. Gibbs. is the only one of the Gibbs family now in
Almond. About 1850 he went to California and spent some time in the west. He is a farmer, has been supervisor several
terms. James Burdick, farmer, lives in the northwest part of the town and is a justice of the peace. George M Collins
of North Valley is a farmer, and justice of the peace. Phido Pryer, an old resident, has been justice of the peace,
now lives in Almond village. O. D. Wallace runs a foundry. He has held the office of justice of the peace several
terms. John Busby and Luther Whitwood are blacksmiths.