SOMETHING ABOUT SOME OF THE PEOPLE.
Moses Burr, son of Alvin and Anna
(Van Campen) Burr, was born in February, 1822, at Angelica. His father was one of the early lawyers of Allegany,
and his mother a daughter of Major Moses Van Campen, the noted scout and border man of the Revolution, and later
a pioneer of Allegany. Mr. Burr's early and middle life was devoted to active business operations, being for years
a large dealer in stock, at the period when droves of cattle, sheep and hogs, were driven through to New York,
and by honorable shrewdness and laudable attention to his vocation amassed a competency. He married a Miss Robinson
of Friendship. She died some years ago, since which time an adopted sister, Miss Mary Carney, has kept house for
him. Mr. Burr died the last of July, 1895, and by his will bequeathed his large collection of Van Campen relics
to the Wilson Academy and library at Angelica. He was a lover of the early pioneer days of Allegany and had an
interesting fund of reminiscences of the olden time.
Daniel Dennison Gardiner, son
of Lyman and Eugene (Otis) Gardiner, and a direct lineal of Lion Gardiner of Gardiner's Island and colonial fame,
and of the Otis family, of which John and Harrison Gray Otis were distinguished members, was born in Eaton, Madison
county, Mar. z, 1824, and exactly sixty nine years (to a day) later, was buried in the Angelica cemetery. He was
twelve years old when he came with his father's family to Angelica. Here he ever after resided (excepting two years
passed at Fillmore immediately previous to 1850). In 1854 he was elected county treasurer, the duties of which
office he discharged for over thirty eight years with accuracy, signal ability and to the general satisfaction
of the public. Mr. Gardiner was for some years in early life an attendant upon services at the Baptist church;
later, and for the remainder of his life, he attended the Episcopal church. He was an active Free Mason, a member
of the "blue lodge" of Friendship. of the chapter (Royal Arch) at Wellsville. and of St. John Commandery
(Knights Templar) of Olean. He was highly esteemed as a man, respected as a citizen and beloved by an unusually
large circle of friends and acquaintances.
Judge John Collins, son of John,
was born in Litchfield. Conn. He married Ann Gregory. In 1825 he came to Angelica and was engaged with others as
an agent in the sale of land in Angelica. He was admitted to the bar in February, 1807, and was a judge of the
county. He died in 1863, his wife in 1869. They had 7 children. Hon. John G. Collins, his son, born in Geneva in
April, 1809, was educated at Geneva College and settled in Angelica in 1825. He read law with Judge Welles of Penn
Yan. He was county judge and surrogate of this county from 1840-44, and was elected to the assembly in 1845-46.
He was an able lawyer and a highly respected citizen. He died in April, 1877. The other children of Judge John
Collins were Charles, a lawyer in Dayton, Ohio, Sarah (Mrs. Charles d' Autremont) of Angelica, Philip, Mary, Edward
Gen. Wm. B. Rochester of Washington,
D. C., son of Judge Wm. B. and Amanda (Hopkins) Rochester, was born in Angelica, Feb. 15, 1826. Attended school
at Leroy, Rochester and Buffalo, engaged in forwarding and shipping business from 1844 to 51; went to California
in 1851; returned in December same year; was with Wells, Fargo & Co. Express Co. from May to, 1852; in 1853
went to California for them; was their agent in Marysville one year, then their agent at Sacramento till 1859,
when be returned to New York, and was appointed additional paymaster U. S. Army with rank of major; transferred
to the regular service Jan. 17, 1867; stationed at Santa Fe, N. M., from June, 1867, to May, 1870; in Washington
till 1872; in Louisville, Ky., till September. 1876; in Atlanta, Ga., till July, 1878; at Newport Barracks, Ky.,
till February, 1882; appointed paymaster' general of the army, Feb. 17, 1882, stationed at Washington, D. C.; and
retired Feb. 15. 1890, having reached the age of 64, when all officers are retired from active service. He now
resides in Washington.
Andrew Charles came to Angelica
in 1827. He was a prominent and public spirited citizen. He built a frame house on the site where the Charles Howl
now stands, which was made into a hostelry and burned in 1850. The same year the present Charles Hotel was erected.
Mr. Charles was the means of bringing the village park to its present handsome condition and was otherwise active
in business and social affairs. He died in February, 1868, his wife in 1860.
Robert Ramsey, born in Ireland.
came to Angelica in 1831, and settled on a piece of wild land in the west part of the town, adjoining the Transit
Line, where there was no road until he, with the help of another man, cut one through the woods sufficient to allow
a cart and oxen to go through. He afterward removed to Belfast, where he died May 28, 1868, aged 85 years. His
wife was Elizabeth Thompson, of Ireland. Their children were George, John, Mary, Ann M., James, Robert, Jane, Eliza,
Susan and Catharine.
David Brown was born in Hartford,
Washington Co., N. Y., in 1800. He was of Roman lineage and according to family traditions, a descendant of Marc
Antony. His ancestors came to England with the Roman legions and remained there after the withdrawal of the legions.
Their descendants were among the early settlers of New England Brown. Amasa Brown, the father of David Brown, was
a native of Rhode Island and was a Baptist clergyman who filled one pastorate forty years. He belonged to the family
which founded Brown University. David Brown came to West Almond, then in the town of Angelica in 1830. He built
his log cabin in the wilderness and cleared his farm and afterward engaged in the mercantile business. He was the
first supervisor of West Almond, having been elected in 1836 and '38. He was appointed undersheriff and moved to
Angelica in 1840 holding the office nine years. He was elected sheriff in 1843 and was made supervisor in 1857
and 185 and was engaged a number of years in lumbering and milling. He was undersheriff at the time of his death
which occurred in 1867. His enterprise, integrity and rare social qualifications won for him a large circle of
friends. His active participation in public affairs made him well known in this section of the state. Of decided
character he was utterly fearless in the expression of his opinion, and yet always retained the friendship and
respect of those who differed from his views. Mr. Brown married Miss Phoebe Swift, daughter of James Swift, who
died in 1826 leaving five children of whom two are now living. In 1827 he married Miss Waity Norton daughter of
Richard Norton by whom he had ten children, eight of whom survive him. Of David Brown's eleven sons John and Amasa
died in early manhood. Henry, James V., Stephen S., and Orange S., are prominent citizens of Williamsport, Pa,
the latter being proprietor and manager of the Daily Gazette and Bulletin. Norton R. and Daniel C. are residents
of Angelica, Alfred S. and Allen L. of Wellsville and Charles F., of South Bethlehem, Pa., of which he is Berger.
Of the four daughters three grew to womanhood. Abigail married George Howe, one son, David A. Howe, a lumberman
of Williamport, is the sole representative of this branch of the family. Marrion died in 1885. Sarah married Hervey
Grotz of Bloomburg, Pa.
Joseph Harrison Rutherford was
born in Bath, Steuben Co., Aug. 18, 1835. His father was William M. Rutherford, born in Northumberland, England,
and came to America in 1807. His mother was Margarette Creveling of French ancestry, born in Trenton, N. J., J.
H. Rutherford was educated in the old Friendship and Rushford academies under Prof. Jeremiah Hatch and Prof. Ira
T. Sayles, preceptors. He married in 1859 Miss Annis G., daughter of William and Laura Franklin of Allen. Their
children are Edward Rutherford, Esq., of Buffalo Edith and Grace of Angelica. Mr. Rutherford represented Allen
4 years on the board of supervisors, has been secretary of the county insurance company since its organization;
president of the village for 3 years, and president of the bank of Angelica since January. 1892.
William L. Weaver, son of William
and Nancy Weaver, was born in Orwell, Vt., in 1799. He married Eunice Dewey, who was born in Cambridge, N. Y.,
and settled in Westford, Vt. In 1830 he emigrated to Granger where he was a farmer. His son, William Weaver, was
born in 1828 and married Esther, daughter of Ira Parker of Granger. William Weaver was supervisor of Granger for
4 years. From '80 to '86 he was the keeper of the County Almshouse, and from '86 to '92 was superintendent of the
poor. He also assisted in building the county buildings. He has one son, Everett I. who is in the insurance business.
John Gibson, son of John, was
born in Edinburgh. Scotland. He came to A1801ca in 1786, and was at Geneva until 1801 when he came to Angelica.
He was a millwright, superintended the building of the first gristmill at Belmont, and was long a clerk for Philip
Church. Kept an early hotel at Angelica, and was the first sheriff of the county. He married Mary, daughter of
Judge Evart Van Wickle. Of their 6 children two survive: Jane A. (MrMarym. Shoff), and John W., who married Mark
Scheanck, has always lived in town, is a farmer and had 3 children; John D. (married Etta, daughter of Henry Palmer
of West Almond, and has two sons, Floyd and Forrest), William S. and Jane (Mrs. John Davis).
Joseph Gillies, so long and popularly
esteemed as a genial landlord and host, was born in Scotland. Sept. 9, 1825, there married Miss Helen Kissock June
3, 1846, and soon came to America. He came from Livingston county to Almond in '54 and some years later to Angelica.
He has been an ardent Republican from the organization of the party, and his official career has been no less varied
than responsible. He was appointed enrolling officer of Almond in '63, only to be chosen before the close of that
yearto the position of special agent of the provost marshal's office of the twenty seventh congressional district
of New York; and in '65 he received an appointment as revenue assessor for the eastern district of Allegany county.
In '70 he was elected to the office of sheriff of Allegany county, and discharged its duties with credit to himself
and satisfaction to those by whose favor he had been thus honored. He was again elected sheriff in '80. He has
been prominent in other ways in county politics. As a landlord of the St. Charles Hotel of Angelica and other leading
hotels in this section, he will be long remembered, as will be his quotations from Bums. He is now manager of Hotel
Rev. Thomas Osgood came to Centerville
in 1834, afterward went to Warsaw, where he died. His first wife was Betsy Seeley; his second was Mrs. Polly Couch,
whose son Jonathan Couch was a prominent resident of Centerville, serving the town as supervisor and the village
as postmaster. Mrs. Osgood died in '78. The children of Rev. Thomas and Betsy Osgood were Moses S. of Warsaw, Charles
of Machias, Celestia (Mrs. James Smith) of Wirt, Alzina (Mrs. S. Miller) of Bolivar, John D. of Eagle, Climena
(Mrs. Edward Hayward) of Frewsburg. Edmond O., Harriet (Mrs, Ira Acherman) of Pike, Henry M. (deceased), a soldier
of the Mexican War, Viana (Mrs. Robert Miller) of Bradford, Pa. and James A. By his second wife Mr. Osgood had
two children, Mariam (Mrs. John Cooper) and Oliver, both of North Dakota, Mr. Osgood was ordained a Wesleyan minister
and became one of the first seceders from the M. E. church on the slavery question. Edmond O. Osgood born March
10, 1826, married, Oct. 28, 1849, Rowena C., daughter of Park Coigrove, of Bradford, Pa., and their children are
Celestia M. (Mrs. Rev. Willard Robinson) of Stockton, William T., of Caneadea, Mary R. (Mrs. J. A. Kennedy) of
West Virginia, Henry H. of Angelica, Hattie 0. (Mrs. Perry Osgood) of Angelica, Edmond B. of Brockton, Mariam (Mrs.
G. E. Meeker) of Hornellsville, Charlotte C., Adelbert O. of Hornellsville, Adelia 0. (Mrs. W. S. Gibson) and James
A. (deceased). Mr. Osgood was reared in a family in Wyoming county. He came to Friendship when 14 and later lived
in Almond, resided in Bradford, Pa., from '49 to '78 when they came to Angelica in September. When 17 Mr. Osgood
became nearly blind from cataract of the eyes and until '75 was scarcely able to perceive daylight. Through the
intercession of a friend he was induced to go to Elmira, where Dr. Updegraf performed one of the most difficult
operations ever known to optical science, restoring an almost clear sight. We mention this because of the 32 years
of nearly total blindness which Mr. Osgood so patiently bore and so fortunately recovered from. He is now retired
from a successful career as an undertaker and furniture dealer.
Edward P. Burdick, son of William
and Mary (Hancock) Burdick, was born July 20, 1823, in Almond where he received his education. In '48 he married
Gardeen, daughter of John J. Davison of Birdsall. They had 4 children, Evert (who fell from a load of straw Jan.
5, 1892, and died the 12th), Edmond C. of Angelica, Mary E. (Mrs. Henry Button of Coudersport, Pa.) and William
of Belmont. Edward P. Burdick settled in Angelica in '67, and is a farmer. He and his wife are members of the M.
E. church. William Burdick, his father, was born Dec. 12, 1775, at Watch Hill, R. I. He married first Nabby Stillman,
had 4 daughters. His second wife was Mary A. Hancock, born at Stonington, Conn., in 1793. She was a niece of John
Hancock, the first signer of the Declaration of Independence. They had to children. In 1818 or '19 they came to
Alfred, and Mr. Burdick worked for Clark Crandall for several years, then moved to Almond in '23 and kept a hotel
in a loghouse on the state road. He was justice of the peace and constable for 21 consecutive years, was deputy
sheriff, town collector and held other offices. Mr. Burdick was well educated, versed in law and a man of energy
and resolution. He arrested many criminals, and when they refused to go, he often tied them to the horses' tails.
Daniel Burdick, grandfather of Edward P., was a soldier in the Revolution.
Richard S. Charles, son of Dr.
Richard Charles, was born in Angelica Nov. 1, 1830. He married Mary Lloyd. They have 2 children, Esther A. and
Clinton L. Mr. Charles has been a successful tiller of the soil. An extended sketch of his father is given in the
medical chapter. Robert H. Charles, son of John and Esther (Hughes)Charles, was born in county Tyrone, Ireland,
in 1814. He married Jane Young in '32, came to America in '36, to Angelica the same year, and commenced the business
of harnessmaking with his brother Andrew Charles. After some three years he engaged in farming. His wife died in
'76. Of his to children, 4 are living. Richard A. was a soldier in Co. B, 67th Reg't Pa. Vols. and resides in Washington,
John H. was a member of Co. G. 139th Reg't. N. Y. V. and was killed at Five Forks, April r, '64, Robert Y. was
in Co. G, 130th Reg't N. Y. V. and was wounded at Cold Harbor (dec), David S. was in Co. B, 67th Pa. Reg't and
was orderly sergeant. He died in Washington in '64. Amelia R. is a teacher in Washington, James T. lives in Buffalo.
John Common married Isabel Wandlas
Nov. 3, 1765, in the parish of Bellingham, he died in 1802, his wife in 1771. Robert Common, son of John, was born
in 1769 in County Northumberland, England, and married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Jane (Cerrick) Armstrong.
In 1801 he came to New York City, and returned to England. In 1818 he again came to America locating at Angelica
as a farmer. He died in '43, his wife in '57. They 9 children John, William, Robert, Thomas, Isabel, Edmond, Jane,
Sarah and James are dead. John Common, son of Robert, born in 1802. came with his parents to Angelica, and as he
grew older worked much for the Church family in clearing lands. He married Margaret (born in 1802), daughter of
Robert and Margaret (Barrie) Renwick, Nov. 19, 1827, and settled on the farm now owned by his daughter Helen M.
Common. He was a well known farmer, and both himself and wife were Presbyterians. He died June 1, 1877, Mrs. Common
Aug. 18, 1886. Their children were Helen M., Elizabeth I. (Mrs. W. A. Weir), and John R. Helen M. Common says:
"My grandmother was Elizabeth Armstrong Common. Her father was John Armstrong and her mother's maiden name
was Jane Cerrick. Her grandfather was Robert Armstrong, and his wife was Jane Magee. He lived to be nearly zoo
years old. He lost his sight while trying to save some property from a burning building, and he was blind for 20
years. Her grandmother on her mother's side was Elizabeth Bell. and her grandfather's name was Edmund Cerrick."
Robert Renwick, son of Robert and Elizabeth (Thompson) Renwick, was born in Roxborough, Hobkirk Parish, Scotland,
in 1775. He married Margaret Barrie, who died Oct. 16, 1815, leaving six children. whom Mr. Renwick brought to
Angelica in 1817, where he settled on a lot of wild land and made his home until his death Oct. 30, 1849. His children
were Margaret, Robert, George. Janet, John and Adam.
William Crandall came to Spring
Mills in Independence in 1833, and was a boot and shoemaker. He died in June, 1888. His children were Charlotte
A. (Mrs. G. W. Rose), Sidney, Villetta (Mrs. John Rose), and Anna A. (Mrs. D. Dexter). Sidney Crandall was elected
in '91 for three years as superintendent of the poor and came to Angelica Jan. I, 1892, to assume the duties of
that office. He was re-elected in '94 and is now in office. Mr. Crandall has been for years a prominent member
of the G. A. R, and worthily so, for he was orderly sergeant of Co. H, 85th New York, during nearly four years
of the War of the Rebellion. He was captured April 20, 1864, and suffered the horrors of imprisonment in Andersonville
for almost one year.
Daniel C. Grander, son of John
and Catherine (Mayers) Grander. was born in Grove, July 4, 1843. In '68 he married Agnes A., daughter of David
and Cordelia Lowell. They have one son, Walter L. Mr. Grunder is a member of Nunda Station Lodge, F. & A. M.,
Genesee Chapter at Belfast, and DeMolay Commandery at Hornellsville. Mr. Grunder has been the keeper of the almshouse
for 10 years, and it is universally conceded that the almshouse at Angelica is the best conducted one of the state.
Mr. Grunder represented Grove 5 years in succession on the board of supervisors and was serving in that office
when he became keeper of the almshouse. He has been i5 years justice of the peace.
Henry Smith, son of Capt. Leonard
and Mary (Beckensto) Smith, was born March 7, 1813. He came to Angelica from Seneca, N. Y., in 1830. He married
Mary, daughter of Oren Smith, and located in Angelica, and was overseer of Judge Church's farm for 7 years and
was widely known. Mr. Smith was a deacon of the Presbyterian church. He died March 31, 1870, his wife died July
12, 1892. Of their 9 children 4 are living. Matilda (Mrs. Leander Callaghan) of Germantown, Neb., Frank M., Smith
J., (Mrs. John Mapes), and Oren, who was born May 27. 1849, married Emogene, daughter of Richard Scholes of Birdsall.
Mr. Oren Smith is a farmer, and has been in charge of Charles d'Autremont's farm in the village of Angelica for
Daniel Pierce (Pearce) came from
Rhode Island to Alfred in 1811 and "took up" 300 acres of wild land near "Five Corners," and
was well known there. He married first, Elizabeth Brown, second, Mrs. Steadman. Of his 9 children none survive.
His son, John V. Pierce, married Abigail Cole. Their children were Leonard C., Elizabeth (Mrs. John Latham), Alma
(Mrs. Willard Allen). Ellen (Mrs. Ira Way), Thomas W., Andrew J., of Cuba. Mrs. Willard Allen had two children.
Jennie T. Allen and Fred P. Allen, both reside in Angelica.
John B. Norton, M. D., was born
April 21, 1793, at Greenville. His father settled in Cayuga Co. at an early day and was a farmer in Aurelius. John
B. attended the seminary at Auburn for 2 years. In the War of 1812 he acted as first sergeant in Capt. Daniel Eldridge's
company at Sachem's Head Harbor, L. I., and later at Buffalo under Gen. Peter B. Porter. He studied medicine and
practiced at Auburn and in 1820 settled at Springwater. He married Jane C. Marvin They had 8 children. Dr. Norton
died in '78, Mrs. Norton in '60. Their son, John M. Norton, came to Birdsall in '46, and in '49 married Sarah E.,
daughter of Elias Randolph. He was largely engaged in farming and stock dealing in Birdsall, and also was much
interested in Sunday school work there. In '87 he moved to Angelica where he and his wife are members of the M.
E. Church. They had 13 children, 11 are living.
Joseph, Isaac and John Peavy (brothers),
came to Allen and were among the pioneer settlers, the settlement is known as "Peavy settlement." Sylvanus
Peavy, son of Joseph, married Adelia Smith and made his home in Allen and cultivated his land. Of his 9 children
5 are living. Nancy F., married, first, John Lilly, a son of John Lilly. They had 2 children, William J. of Buffalo,
and Captola L., who married Julius C. Averill. Mrs. Lilly married second, William Franklin. Julius C. Averill,
son of Julius C., was born in Belmont. He was educated at the Belmont Union School and is engaged in merchandising
Thomas Thornton, a native of Ireland,
emigrated to America about 1845 and located in Attica. where he married Mary Hanlon and came to Angelica in the
fifties, where he has been a blacksmith. Four of his eight sons are living. Thomas C. Thornton, his son, a well
known hardware merchant here, died Dec. 22, '94. Samuel Thornton, another son, born in Angelica Sept. 24, '66,
was engaged in the hardware business and was burned out in the fire of April, '95, but soon rebuilt. Samuel Thornton
married Helen Lowe, June 74, 1893.
William P. Scheanck came from
New Jersey to Birdsall in x816 where he "located" his lot of wild land and became a farmer. Col. Daniel
Scheank, his son married Ordelia Pratt. He was a farmer and supervisor and was well known as colonel of the militia.
He had 5 sons and 4 daughters. He moved to Angelica in '52. William C. Scheank, son of Daniel, married Polly Ellsworth,
made his home in Angelica and is a farmer, a raiser of bees, and a breeder of Jersey cattle.
John T. Snyder, of German descent,
was born in Columbia Co. In 1839 he settled in Hume, and in '55 he moved to Granger where he died. His wife was
Rachel Emmons of Hume. Mr. Snyder had 4 sons in the Civil War. Harmon E. and Horatio E. in Co. B, 4th Regt. H.
A., Martin W. was in Co. G, 130th Regt. N. Y. Vol. and was killed at Shepardstown, Va., Aug. 25, 1864. John L.
Snyder was in Co. I, 130th Regt. N. Y. Vol. He enlisted Aug. 5, 1862, was discharged in July, 1865. He married
first, Mary C., daughter of William Wallace, second, her sister, Annette. He has one child, Martin W. Mr. Snyder
settled at first in Granger, but is now a resident of Angelica. He is a member of Wilbur Hover Post, 502, of Angelica.
H. S. Hastings, son of E. H. Hastings,
was born in Wellsboro, Pa., in 1865. He was educated at the high school of Wellsboro and was graduated therefrom
in '83. He is auditor and general agent for the Central New York & Western railroad, and resides at Angelica.
Frank M. Decker, son of Frederick
and Mary (Lane) Decker, was born in Wayland, N. Y., Nov. 26, 1864. He married Jennie, daughter of Henry Jones of
Alfred. In '83 he commenced railroading for the Central New York & Western railroad, and is now conductor on
Frank W. Warner, D. D. S., son
of Roswell R. and Sarah A. (Chandler) Warner, was born in Gallion, Ohio, Dec. 26, '67. In '73 his father moved
back to Angelica, and Frank attended district schools, and later attended the Philadelphia (Pa.) Dental College
where he was graduated in '91. He then located in Angelica as a dentist, and now he has a branch office at Belfast
in addition to the Angelica office, and is vice president of the county dental society.
Amos Keeney, a native of East
Hartford, Conn., came to Warsaw, N. Y., in 1803. His wife was Martha Brooks. His son Harry was born in 1801 and
married Maria Albro. He was an agriculturist. He died at Warsaw. His son Matteson was born in Warsaw in '28. He
married, first, Martha Bristol, second, Sarah C. Bristol, settled in Warsaw and subsequently removed to Angelica
where he resides. He has two children, Frank, who lives in Utica, and Fred B. Keeney, who is proprietor of the
Church Homestead, and is a practical and a model farmer. He married, first, Elizabeth Montgomery, second, Johanna
H. Colman, third, Elizabeth M. Gunseul.
Fred Piatt is the grandson of
Charles Piatt, who was born in New Jersey, Feb. 22, 1797, married Elizabeth Rose and settled in Sparta, Livingston
Co. Their children were: Rebecca, Mary, Clarissa, Charles, Samuel, Elijah, Hannah, Joseph A., Elizabeth and Rhoda.
Elijah born in Sparta in 1827, came to Allen in '40 with his father. He married Elizabeth, daughter of William
M. Rutherford from England; children, William R., Fred R., Lyman R., and Nellie M., now a teacher and an artist.
Fred R. was born on the old homestead he still owns, now 425 acres, in '61. He attended Normal School at Geneseo,
and was reading law in Hornellsville when his father died in '83. Since then he has been a farmer, keeping 65 cows,
a dealer in live stock, and a cheese maker. In '91 Fred Platt and Lyman Platt built the cheese factory on the Short
Tract road, and in '92, Platt & Osgood bought the Empire cheese factory on the state road. Mr. Piatt is a staunch
Republican, has been clerk of Allen 7 years, and in 94 was elected justice of the peace. He is a member of the
M. E. church at Short Tract, and for 9 years has been superintendent of its Sunday school which now numbers 208
scholars and is one of the most flourishing schools in the county. He married in '86, Lizzie, daughter of M. H.
Closser of Dalton. Their children are Morton A., Donovan E. and Marjorie. In December, '95, Mr. Piatt moved to
Angelica and is there building a large dry goods store and warehouse. The town of Allen loses in him a good citizen
and reliable business man.