THE VILLAGE OF ANGELICA.
THE VILLAGE OF ANGELICA was founded in 1801, but not laid out till 1805. Whether
Moses Van Campen or Evart Van Wickle made the survey cannot now be with certainty stated. A map of the village,
made in 1828 from the survey of 1805, is in the town clerk's office, but nothing appears to tell who made either
map or survey. The village contains nearly 1,000 population. It was incorporated May 2, 1835, with these boundaries:
Beginning at a stake in the southwest corner of William Neilson's lot, thence north twenty one degrees east, nineteen
chains and twenty links, to a stake; thence north sixty nine degrees west, ninety nine chains, to a stake in John
Lloyd's field; thence south six degrees west, fifty chains and eighty two links, crossing West street to a stake
in John Robson's field; thence south sixty eight degrees east on the south line of John Magee's and Solomon Tracy's
land, seventy one chains and fifteen links, to a stake in the corner of said Tracy's lot; thence north twenty one
degrees east, crossing East street thirty one chains and thirty links, to the place of beginning.
The first officers were George Miles, president; Richard Charles, George Miles, Sam'l C. Wilson, J. Smith, Jos.
B. Welch, trustees; James Lockhart, Henry J. Webb, assessors; Robert Haight, treasurer; Smith Davis, collector;
Wm. P. Angel, clerk; Edward Renwick, constable.
It lies in the valley of Angelica creek, and its main street, 100 feet wide, lies in direction nearly east and
west. It is very regularly laid out but its most distinguishing and attractive feature, and the one which impresses
the stranger so favorably is its public park. This is five acres in extent, and around it are pleasantly located
the five churches, and, in the past, the courthouse, jail and county clerk's office. In beauty and peculiarity
it stands alone, and has no peer in any village of its size in the state. The land covered by this park was conveyed
from Philip Church and Anna Matilda, his wife, to the inhabitants of the town of Angelica" by deed bearing
date. Sept. 8, 1831, and is thus described:
"The premises hereby intended to be conveyed to the inhabitants of said town, is well known as the 'public
square of the village of Angelica,' and is situated as follows: Beginning at the centre stone of said square, thence
running in the direction of East, West, South and White streets three chains and fifty links, to the centre of
each of the aforesaid streets, thence at right angles therefrom in each direction, three chains and fifty links,
containing four acres and ninety hundredths, agreeably to the original plan of said village; excepting and reserving
out of the above, three pieces, deeded to the county of Allegany, for a jail, clerk's office, and courthouse; also
a piece in the northeast corner, deeded to the Episcopal church. It is hereby understood that the aforesaid premises
is to be used for no other purpose whatever than as a public place for the inhabitants of said town and village."
At the southeast corner of the park stood the old court house, now converted into a hall for public meetings, lectures,
etc. Directly opposite used to stand in. the old days the county clerk's office, and, near by, the Baptist church.
On the north side is the widely known Charles Hotel, and close by it on the east, St. Paul's Episcopal church,
while the other churches are located so as to front the park, the Catholic church occupying the site of the first
jail and court house. The people of Angelica have of late years held lawn fetes during the summer in this park
which are made very pleasant occasions and have come to be an event as much looked forward to as the "Fourth
of July" to the small boy.
Angelica has always been a center of culture. Founded and settled by people of education and wealth, and having
the advantages given by the colony of French refugees whose home atmosphere was that of the courts of France immediately
antecedent to the French Revolution, its original state of society was equal if not superior to those other centers
of civilization in Western New York, Bath, Canandaigua and Batavia. Its location as the county seat attracted some
of the most able and brilliant legal minds of that period to make their residence here, and as a result of these
and other favoring influences, Angelica has maintained its high character as a social center and the county's chief
seat of culture. Its citizens have stood and yet stand high in national, state and business circles and today it
numbers some of the leading men of Western New York among its residents. Among its sons are many who have added
dignity to the state.
From the organization of the county until 1859 the village of Angelica was the sole county seat. From 1859 to 1892
it was a half shire, and since the latter date no courts have been held in its court house, which, when abandoned
as such and for some years before, was the oldest court house in the state. The village has been incorporated for
many years, receiving its charter May 2, 1835, and recently by a vote of more than two to one it authorized her
board of water commissioners consisting of M. S. Blair, Wm. Weaver and A. K. Fletcher, to bond the village "for
a sum not to exceed $30,000," for a system of water works and it is today the southern terminus of the C.
N. Y. & W. railroad, the machine shops being located here. For history of this railroad see page 130.
Among the early settlers of Allegany county was Marie Jaene d'Ohet d'Autremont, widow of Hubert d'Autremont, and
her sons Alexander Hubert d'Autremont and Aguste Francois Cecile d'Autremont. Madame d'Autremont was born in France
in 1745, was married to Hubert d'Autremont, Feb. 5, 1770. He was a royalist and lost his life amid the storms of
the French Revolution. In 1792 his widow, her three sons and sister Marie Genevieve d'Ohet LaFevre, and her sister's
husband, Antonine Bartholemy Louie LaFevre with other refugees sailed from Havre, having previously purchased a
large tract of land on the Chenango River in New York. She and her sons remained a short time on this land and
then removed to a colony on the Susquehanna river in Bradford county, Pa., called Asylum or French Town, peopled
entirely by royalists fleeing from the French Revolution and planters from the French West Indies. [Among these
refugees and their visitors were some of the most noted royalists of France, namely, Duke d'Orleans, Prince Talleyrand,
Duke de la Rochefoucald de Liancourt, Mancy Colin Abbe Sevigne, Viscount de Noaillies, Aristede Ambert du petite
Thour, Marquis Antonine Omer Talon, Baron de Montule, Marquis Lucretius de Blancons, Duke de Montepensier, Count
Beaujolais, and others.] When Napoleon, about 1800, granted amnesty, that quaint colony was broken up, nearly all
of them returning to France. In 1795 her son Louis Paul d'Autremont returned to France with Talleyrand as his secretary.
Although he never came to Allegany county until 1832 he was one of its early land owners. On the breaking up of
the colony Madame d'Autremont and her two younger sons returned to Chenango, where they lived until 1806 when they
removed to Angelica having purchased land of Mr. Church on the Genesee River, which was called the "Retreat,"
where Madame d'Autremont died Aug. 29, 1809, aged 64. January 28, 1810, her unmarried sister, Marie Claudine d'Ohet,
who had been a nun in France and after the destruction of her convent had joined her sister in this country, died
here Jan, 10, 1810, aged 52. Madame d'Autremont and her sons were followed by Victor du Pont de Nemours and the
Baron Hyde de Neuville, who purchased lands adjoining those of the Retreat. Victor was a son of Pierre Samuel du
Pont de Nemours, and one of the most distinguished Frenchmen of that time, and after residing here for a few years
joined his brother in Delaware where, as Irenne du Pont de'Nemours & Co., they and their descendants have been
engaged in manufacturing gunpowder without change of firm name, and, under various titles, control 28 out of the
32 of the manufactories of gunpowder and explosives in the United States. In addition the family has furnished
to this country distinguished sailors, soldiers and statesmen. Admiral du Pont of the late Civil War was of the
family. (Baron Hyde de Neuville was one of the most ultra of all the French refugees. Before coming here he tried
and failed to induce Napoleon to reinstate the Bourbons in France, and, after the downfall of Napoleon, returned
to France. He was Minister from France to the United States from 1816 to 1821, afterward Ambassador from France
to Portugal and later a member of the French Cabinet.)
Louis Paul, oldest son of Madame d'Autremont, finally made his permanent residence in Paris. He had claims to large
tracts of lands in the United States, and owned several farms and village property in Angelica, was married in
France, and died without leaving male issue. The other sons, Alexander and Aguste, came to Angeliaa with their
mother in 1806, were among the most prominent pioneers and business men of the county and did much in developing
its resources. Alexander was born in Paris March 12, 1776, and died at Angelica Aug. 4, 1857. He was married to
Abigail Dodge in 1797 and had children; Adeline, born July 12, 1800, married Ithemer Smith; Amelia du Pont, born
April 28, 1803, married Hugh Magee; Louis Paul, born Jan. 28, 1805, married Hannah Magee; Victor du Pont, born
Aug. 16, 18o7, married Isabella Common; Caroline, born Dec. 8, 1809, married Charles Brundage; Janet, born Nov.
3o, 1814, married Ephriam Smith; Charles, born June 26, 1818, married Sarah Collins; Alexander, born April 2, 1821,
married Diana Howard; Virginia, born July 30, 1824, unmarried; Sophia Church, born Aug. 3, 1829, married Lucian
P. Wetherby. Aguste Francois Cecile d'Autremont was born in Paris June 7, 1783, married Sarah Ann Stewart in 1816,
who died in 1840 and he in 186o. They had children: Matilda, born June 1, 1817, died Dec. 31, 1884;Josephine, born
Jan. 17, 182o, married Harden P. Mather; Augustus, Jr., born Feb. 29, 1822, married, first, Adaline Mather, second.
Mary Hubbard. He died March 29, 1889; Mary Amanda, born July 27, 1824, died July 8, 1836; Francis Paul, born July
27, 1824, died In Jalapa, Mexico, Sept. 12, 1847, when a U. S. soldier; Caroline Elisebeth, born April 27, 1827,
married Ralph Taylor and died June 29, 1877; Victorine, born June 17, 183o, died July 24, 1836; Eveline Ellen„
born April 17, 1833; Glodine, born Dec. 16, 1835, died July 18, 1836; Sarah Andrina, born Dec. 16, 1835, married
Samuel A. Farman.
The beautiful village cemetery, to which about ten acres of land is devoted lies on the south side of Main street
on the western limit of the village Here the first interment was made in 1803, that of Ira Stephens who was killed
by some one whose name is unknown. Directly over the grave of Mr. Stephens has grown a large elm tree which superstitious
and credulous people say grew from the club or poker with which he was killed, and said to have been buried with
him. The grounds are well kept, and the new part laid out in accordance with modern ideas is very beautiful. The
trustees are William Franklin, Charles Lounsbury and James Green.
Angelica in the Civil War. - From the local papers, clippings of which without date have been saved, it is learned
that very soon after the first call for troops was made by President Lincoln, Maj. R. Church inspected the Angelica
company, and held an election of officers, which resulted as follows:
Commissioned officers, Captain C. C. Gardiner; lieutenant, S. M. Harmon; ensign, Charles D. Rice; 1st sergeant,
D. C. Hartshorn, Angelica; zd sergeant, Burton Freeman, Rushford 3d sergeant, J. G. Wellman, Friendship; 4th sergeant,
L. D. Button, Caneadea; 1st corporal, W. J. Kendall, Rushford; 2d corporal, Isaac M. Hooper, Angelica; 3d corporal,
D. W. Cornell, Little Genesee; 4th corporal, Harvey C. Snow, Angelica. Privates. Texas Angel. Angelica; Ira Ames,
Rushford; J. Orson Andrews, Swainville; Romaine Benjamin, Rushford; Justin Bingham, Hume; Henry Burlingame, Belfast;
Charles M. Burt, Belmont; Guy C. Burnham, Jr., Angelica; Albert Babbitt, Rushford; Charles A. Cotton, West Almond;
Stillman Cranston, Little Genesee; Lebeus B. Coon, Little Genesee; Thomas Colter, Franklin; Timothy C. Charles_
Rushford; Robert Carpenter, Angelica; Alfred Coats, Friendship; Albert J. Duke, Oramel; James Dunn, Whitesville;
George W. Engle, Angelica; Philander Ellithorp. Rushford; Liam J. Elliott, Belmont; Eugene Ferrin, Angelica; George
P. Goodale, Angelica; Calvin B. Gilman, Haskinsville; Eli Gardiner, Centerville; Christian Homburg, Wellsville;
Enoch Hibbard, Rushford; Stanley Hobart, Fairview; Wilbur Haver, Oakland; John R. Heald, Rushford; Henry Hernneman,
Wellsville; Christian Keller, Wellsville; Henry D. Kidder. Farmers tile; Lester Lane. Belfast; Henry D. Lewis and
Clinton R. Lewis, Little Genesee; James Mapes and Darwin Maltby, Angelica; Harvey Makee, Friendship; Charles Mapes,
Angelica; John Metcer, Wellsville; Judson S. Oliver, Angelica; Orrin Odell, Seymour; John Ogden, Angelica; Lawrence
Powers, Angelica; Robert Rice, Angelica; John Robinson, Oramel; Rufus Scott. Win; David Smith, Belvidere; Alfred
W. Spencer, Angelica; Nelson N. Seaton, Caneadea; Winfield Tufts, Rushford; Charles W. Thompson, Hinsdale; George
L. Utter, Little Genesee; Event Van Nostrand, Allen; John Van Gorder Belfast; Nicholas H. Van Horn, Cuba; William
Van Dresser, Oramel; George Waters, Rushford; William J. Woolsy, Oramel; John D. Weaver, Belmont; Aaron H. Wright,
Rushford; Joseph B. White, Wileyville; David Wafler, Jr., Angelica; Daniel S. West, Angelica; Charles A. Woodruff,
Rushford; Ira C. Worthington, Rushford; Daniel G. Weymer, Little Genesee.
A special messenger was sent to Albany to secure the acceptance of this company, which was accomplished, and this
was the first installment of troops from the county serving in the Civil War. Though the members of this company
were from all parts of the country, Angelica was the seat of preparatory operations.
By the town records it appears that on Dec. 19, 1863, a special town moeting was held which passed this resolution:
"Resolved, That this town offer in addition to the large bounties now offered by the state and government,
the sum of $3oo to each volunteer that shall be accepted by the 1st day of January, 1864."
The above, with the list of Angelica's soldier dead, tell in brief the story of Angelica's part in the war for
Soldiers Interred in Angelica Cemetery. - REVOLUTION, Moses Van Campen.
WAR OF 1812, Uian Davis, Alvin Burr, L. I. Dey, Luther Evans, - Wilson.
CIVIL WAR. George Willis. Seymour Mapes, James Mapes, Emory Johnson, Arthur Neil, Isaac Wheeler, Benj. A. Ames.
George Riley, Wm. S. Lawrence. John Cooley, Guerdon Franklin, John Latham, Paul Dowd, Simeon Blinn. Leonard Palmer,
- Green, Edwin Davis, Judson Hooker, David Terwilliger, Robert Y. Charles. James Silsby, Loren J. Jennings, Jerry
Ryan, An Davis, John Way, Leonard Latham.
The foregoing are buried in Angelica, Enlisted at Angelica; and buried elsewhere, are Michael Collins, John H.
Charles, Willis Smith, Ambrose P. Green, Alex. Kinghorn, John ray, John Ogden, - Abbey, Wilber Haver, Robert Rice,
Charles Rice, Luther Farnum, Curtis L. Burdick, (Newman Morse 1812), Ebenezer Hawley, William Gibson, Orrin P.
Angelica Lodge No. 167, F. & A. M. - Late in 1807 the institution of a lodge of this ancient order was agitated
by the leading men of the county, and Jan. 9, 1808, a meeting was held at the house of Evart Van Wickle for the
purpose of founding one, Philip Church having obtained a warrant and dispensation therefor from the Grand Lodge
of the state. At this meeting a petition for a charter was drawn up and signed by William Higgins, master;. Moses
Van Campen, S. W.; Luke Goodspeed, J. W.; Stephen B. Nicholas, secretary; William Pool, treasurer; and Joseph Taylor
and John Galt, these comprising all who were in attendance. In due time a charter was granted. Its date was June
1, 1808, and it carried the signatures of DeWitt Clinton, Grand Master; James Wood, Senior Grand Warden; Martin
Hoffman, Deputy Grand Master; and John Wells, Grand Secretary. Aug. 25, 1808, at the "Public House in the
Village of Angelica," a meeting was held at which the officers were installed by General McClure, Dep. Grand
Master, and Horatio Waterhouse, Dep. Secretary, and the lodge was put in working order. For some time meetings
were held in the daytime, at different places as convenience suggested. Some years later a room was finished off
in Dr. Hyde's "tavern," which stood on the site of the residence of S. H. Whitcomb at Belvidere. The
last meeting of which any record appears was Jan. 1, 1828. This lodge was one of the earliest instituted in Western
New York. A movement is now on foot looking to the establishment of another lodge here.
Banking. - The first institution presuming to do anything in banking, was a branch of the old Erie County Bank.
It continued but a short time, not meeting with signal success. Mr. Charles d'Autremont for some years bought and
sold exchange, and conducted private banking. Nothing like a regular organized banking institution was realized
until 1864, when the First National Bank of Angelica was established with a capital of $100.000. and these officers:
Alfred Lockhart, president; J. E. Robinson, cashier; William Common, Alpha Morse, William Wilson, E. F. Johnson,
Smith Davis, Robert Renwick, Isaac Miles, H. J. Webb. A. Langdon, Alfred Lockhart and J. E. Robinson, directors.
Mr. Lockhart, after twelve years, was succeeded as president by Smith Davis, who held the position until April
16, 1886. when the bank was closed. Mr. Robinson was the sole cashier. E. W. Chamberlain of Belmont was appointed
receiver, and paid the depositors and creditors in full.
The State Bank of Angelica was incorporated January 1, 1890. Its capital stock is $25,000, and present surplus
$5,000. G. C. Hardesty was president for the first year, when Jos. H. Rutherford succeeded him, and is now in office.
J. H. Rook has been cashier from the first. The bank is doing a good healthy business, and is regarded as a reliable
The early merchants and business men remembered by the oldest citizens are Aug. d'Autremont, ____ Rogers, Ira
and Charles Davenport. Ithamar Smith, Lemuel Case, Ephraim Smith, Alfred Lockhart, C. K. & G. W. Thomas, James
Lockhart, John Trotter, Lockhart & Blair. M. H. Yale. J. C. Arnold, E. O. Osgood, and doubtless there are others
Joseph Taylor. Evart Van Wickle, John Gibson, Alexander d'Autremont Daniel & Henry McHenry, F. M. Hartshorn,
F. H. Oliver J. E. Matthews, Daniel Vorhees and Joseph Gillies were some of the oldest and old landlords.
The Angelica Butter and Cheese Manufacturing Company was organized in May or June, 1895, with a capital of $5,000,
and commenced operations July 15, 1895. It has a capacity for 20,000 pounds of milk per day. L. Z. North is the
conductor. The milk is paid for according to the quality, as shown by the Babcock tester, patrons selling their
milk and returning home with it after the cream is separated. The organization of the company at present is Charles
Lanosbury, president; D. D. Dickson, secretary and treasurer; Charles Lounsbury, A. K. Stebbins, A. H. Hooker,
Newspapers. - The Allegany County Republican, published by Lamonte G. Raymond. The Angelica Every Week, published
by Mrs. M. L. Rumpff.
Lawyers. - The two leading firms of Richardson & Robbins and Smith & Dickson are prominent in Western New
York. H. E. Dudley is also in practice. (See chapter on Courts and Lawyers.)
Physicians. - H. E. Cooley, C. R. Spencer, C. N. Hammond. (See Medical chapter.)
Hotels. - Charles Hotel, A. K. Fletcher; Marion House, J. S. Ess.
Merchants. - Dry goods, etc., J. C. Averill, C. D. Buchanan; hardware, Thornton Hardware Co., S. G. Horner, L.
T. Hooker; clothing, A. T. Wilson; drugs, etc., T. A. Royce, F. W. King. Other merchants and the necessary shops
and tradesmen incident to a country village prosper.
The F. E. & J. M. Church heading mill was started in September, 1893, by the Messrs. Church, who came from
Blossburg, Pa. It was a considerable acquisition to the business enterprises of the town, and, in 1894, was second
in importance of its kind in the state. It uses from 3,000 to 4,000 cords of bolts per annum, many being hauled
as far as 12 miles, while some are brought in by rail. It gives employment to from 20 to 23 men.
Charles Graham and W. Galusha have saw and planing mills, and Solon D. Clapp a sawmill at Joncey.
Supervisors. - 1805, Benjamin Riggs; 1806-7, Luke Goodspeed; 1808-9-12, John T. Hyde; 1810-11-15-19-24-25-31-34,
John Ayers; 1814, Timothy H. Porter; 1820-22, James Wilson; 1823-26, Vial Thomas; 1828, Philip Church; 1829-3o,
Samuel S. Haight; 1832, George Miles; 1833-35-37, Ithamar Smith; 1838, Joseph R. Welch; 1839-41-43-52, James Lockhart;
1842-45, Smith Davis;1844, John G. Collins; 1846-47, Volney Aldrich; 1848, Bradley Sherman; 1849-50-61, Wilkes
Angel; 1851, Victor d'Autremont; 1853-54 Erastus Stanton; 1855-56-62-64, Charles d'Autremont; 1857-65, David Brown;
1858, Alfred Lockhart; 1859-60, William B. Alley; 1866-69, Mitchell S. Blair; 1870-71-75, D. P. Richardson; 1872-73,
Albert Brown; 1874 Henry Renwick; 1876-78, James T. Brown; 1879, Handy Bellamy; 1880-81, Charles N. Flenagin; 1882-3-4
J. T. Brown; 1885-6, George Lockhart; 1887-8, William Seiver; 1889-90-91-92-93, Fred. A. Robbins; 1894-5, D. D.
Present Town Officials. - D. D. Dickson, supervisor; F. H. Jackson, town clerk; H. E. Dudley, A. W. Phippen, R.
Brockett and Joel Winchip, justices; H. P. Green, highway commissioner; J. C. Burr, collector; Alexander Lytle,
James A. Green, Romine Bennett, assessors; Smith Latham, overseer of the poor; Charles Davis, Charles 3. Wafter,
Daniel C. Ackley, excise commissioners; J. D. Burr, Samuel Bullock, S. C Clapp, Joel it Green, Jr., Leonard J.
Palmer, constables. Inspectors of election, 1st district, Orrin Smith, F. R. Allen. W. S. Gibson, Murray W. Ayers;
2d district, Charles Lounsbury, Everett I. Weaver, D. W. Phippen, Charles A. Holtz.