OF CANEADEA'S CITIZENS.
Milo J. Allen is the son of Milo Allen. born in York, Livingston county, in 1806,
whose father came from Washington county, N. Y. Milo came to Centreville in 1827 where he married Betsey, daughter
of William King; children, Electa (Mrs. Oscar Hanks), Amasa, Samuel, Martin, Clarilla (Mrs. Orlando Locke), Cornelia
(Mrs. Sheldon Trail), Earl A. and Milo J., who was born in Centreville in 1850, and was raised a fanner, receiving
a common school education and two terms in Belfast Academy. In 1869 Mr. Allen moved to Caneadea where his wife
died in 1878, and he 1881. Milo J. married in 1878 Mary L. Granger, who died in 1881. His second wife was Miss
Anis, daughter of Charles R. Parker of Caneadea. They have one child, Ethel. Mr. Allen was collector of the town
of Caneadea in 1889, '90, '91.
Bethuel J. Bacon, owner of the noted Caneadea resort, Moss Lake, is the son of Rev. Jesse Bacon, a Methodist preacher,
born in 1796 in Washington county, N. Y., who settled in Susquehanna county, Pa., where he married Catharine Harris.
Their children were Beziza, Bezera, a soldier in the 105th N. Y. Dragoons under Gen. Sheridan, Benona, Beriah C.,
a soldier three years, Burla B., a soldier in the 76th Regt. N. Y., who died in the army, Bethuel J., Belinda B.,
Belina S., Berena C. and Bethia E. Jesse Bacon bought the farm now the home of Bethuel J., containing 127 acres
and settled here in 1837. He died in 1872, Mrs. Bacon in 1877. Bethuel J. Bacon was born in Burns. He married,
July 4, 1872, Marilla, daughter of Riley and Susan (Jewell) Matison; children, Harrison, born in 1876, Luella and
Minnie (dec). Moss Lake, known also as Bullhead pond, noted for its quantities of this species of fish, is surrounded
and partly covered by a dense growth of moss that has been shipped for packing fruit trees by the boat load and
car load. It covers about 75 acres and has no inlet or outlet. In 1882 Mr. Bacon and some of his neighbors heard
loud splashing sounds for many nights, the water being agitated by some cause that could not be understood. Dim
objects were claimed to be seen sporting in the water. The illustrated papers of the time contained flaming accounts
of the strange occurrence at little Moss Lake.
Columbus Balcom is the son of Dan Balcom who was born in Connecticut, and at the age of 22 came to Otsego county
and thence to West Bloomfield, Ontario Co., N. Y., where he married Clarissa, daughter or Enos French, an early
settler from Massachusetts. Dan and his wife settled at Pearl Creek, N. Y. He was the first merchant there, and
had an ashery. and a distillery. About 1829 he came to Rushford settling on the Enos Gary farm. In 1832 he bought
106 acres of lot No. 12, in Caneadea, where his son Fayette still lives, and died there in 1876, 99 years old.
His children were, William, Joseph, Columbus, Fayette and Adeline - all alive but Joseph who died from effects
of soldier life in the Mexican War. Columbus was born at Pearl Creek, Sept. 3o, 1822. When 21 years old he worked
at lumbering on the Allegany river. In 1847 he bought at East Rushford a tannery building of Samuel Capen and put
in the first sash, door and blind factory there. He then bought of Oramel Griffin a sawmill on Rush creek which
was burned about 1854. Next he bought of Leonard P. Walker a mill property in the Gorge, rebuilt the mill and ran
it till the flood of 1864 carried it away. He enlisted the same year in Co. B, 12th N. Y. Cavalry and was captured
at battle of Kinston March r 1865, and was confined 4o days in Libby prison. He married in 1847 Mary D. Smith who
died in 1877. His second marriage was in 1880, to Cora B. Cunningham. Children, Lena M. born Feb. 1, 1881, and
Guy C. born Nov. 14, 1882. After the war he bought of U. G. Bennett a sawmill at East Rushford, ran it ten years,
then built and ran a planing mill in Caneadea village four years, since then a farmer.
Charles J. Beardsley comes of New England blood. His great grandfather, Charles Beardsley, was a Massachusetts
man, his grandfather, Judge Charles Beardsley, was of St. Lawrence county, whence his father, Charles Beardsley,
came in 1865, to Belfast, removing soon after to Allen, where he married Mrs. Arilla (Townsend) Carpenter. Charles
J., their only cnild, was born Sept. 9, 1867. After several years' study at Genesee Valley Seminary at Belfast,
he went to Binghamton and was graduated from Lowell's Business College. In x885 he enlisted in the 3d U. S. Cavalry
and passed a year at Jefferson barracks, Missouri, as clerk in the adjutant general's office. The next year he
procured a discharge and for eight years was a commercial traveler in the south and west, buying a zoo acre farm
in Louisiana which he still owns. In 1894 he bought for $4,000 90 acres of land in Caneadea and is now a farmer.
Sept. 11, 1895, he married Bertha Emery. Mr. Beardsley has been a life long lover and writer of poetry. His verses
have appeared in many periodicals, the Chicago Inter Ocean and the Youth's Companion among others.
Henry Brand, son of Henry Brand, was born in Germany and came with his father in 1850 to Wellsville where his father
died in 1857. Mr. Brand had two sons, Henry and Charles. Henry enlisted in 1st N. Y. Dragoons and fought in the
army of the Potomac under Sheridan in most of the large engagements, the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania,
Cold Harbor and in the Shenandoah Valley, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Fisher's Hill to Lee's surrender at Appomattox
of which he was a soldier witness. He gets a pension. He bought in 1867 the old nursery farm belonging in early
days to Gen. Micah Brooks, who gave each fanner a fruit tree for each acre they bought of him. Mr. Brand now owns
120 acres. He married in 1868, Mary Swartz of Grove. Children, Charles, Willie and Clayton, who is a student at
the Belfast seminary.
Alva C. and Andrew Jackson Burr, are the only surviving children of Major Alanson Burr, the pioneer, and founder,
in 1810, of Burrville. His father, Augustus, born in Connecticut in 1786, was the son of one of three brothers,
merchant in Tweed, Scotland, who were seized while in London buying goods and forced into the British army during
the Revolutionary War. They deserted to the American army in the first battle here, and after the war settled as
merchants, one in Connecticut, one in Vermont, and one in Rhode Island. At the age of 15, Alanson came to Bainbridge,
Chenango Co., N. Y., with two packs of goods on his back as a peddler, coming as far as Genesee county. He married
Mary Rush in Bainbridge, after whose death in 1810, he married Susie, his first wife's sister and came with two
heifers yoked as oxen to Caneadea. He bought 375 acres of land at 75 cents per acre and settled Burrville, where
he died in 1863 universally mourned. His children were: Joseph B., Matilda (Mrs. James A. Jackson), Eliza (Mrs.
Joseph Morse), Allen L., colonel in the last war, Andrew J., and Alva C., who was born at Burrville in 1827. At
the age of 16 he left home and traveled till his marriage in 1849 to Harriet P. Dunham. The next five years he
and his brother Allen L., were contractors on the Genesee Valley canal, over which they built 119 bridges between
Fillmore and Olean. He then became landlord of the tavern his father had opened in 1816 - long known as Burr's
exchange - kept in the family 60 years. In 1878 he located at Yorkshire, Cattaraugus Co., built and ran a large
cider manufactory till 1894. His children are: Lewellen, married Angie Lincoln, one child Maud, who is now Mrs.
Edwin Hawk; Frank P. and James D. The sons all live in Buffalo, and are in the wine trade, and proprietors and
originators of the new light drink "cato" Mrs. A. C. Burr died in 1884
Daniel W. Chamberlain is grandson of David Chamberlain, son of Simon, who lived in Massachusetts. David married
Mary Kinney, and came with his brothers Benjamin, Calvin, and Elisha to Angelica in 1803. The children of David
and Mary were: Hepsibeth, Moses VanCampen, Elizabeth, Elisha, Prudence, Mary, David, Simon, Lucy and Robert H.
Judge Benjamin, and General Calvin T. Chamberlain, were sons of Benjamin. Moses VanCampen Chamberlain was born
March 31, 1804., the first white child born in Angelica. He grew up a farmer, and married Cynthia Frost from Massachusetts.
Children, James F., Martha (Mrs. Alonzo Royce), David, Hepsibeth (Mrs. Newell Clark), Moses H., Daniel W., Benjamin
F., Joseph S., Edwin S. and Emily L. (Mrs. William Foster). Mr. Chamberlain settled in Allen, from whence he went
in 1849 to Belfast where he was a farmer, served as justice of the peace, and died in 1867 and Mrs. Chamberlain
in 1875. Daniel W. was born in Allen Sept. 19, 1845. He was raised a farmer, and married in 1872, Maria, daughter
of John M. Emerson of Attica, from Hempstead, N. H. Children: Merton E., Rollo F., Roy W., John E. and Hugh D.
In 1882 they bought their present farm of 86 acres on the east side of Genesee river on which Indian relics are
still frequently found. An ancient mound in a cultivated field was opened in 1895 and a human skeleton very much
decayed was found with which had been buried over thirty flint arrow heads.
William Curran was the son of Thomas and Mary (Wall) Curran of Ireland, whose children were Thomas, James, Patrick,
John, Michael, William and Mary. William was born in 1838, and in 1857 started for America on the brig New World.
Three Fridays running she sprang a serious leak. The passengers had to help the crew, all pumping for dear life,
and were thankful when their voyage of 40 days was ended. William had but 50 cents in money left when he arrived
in Caneadea, but he had a "ton" of grit. His present farm of 160 acres he bought in a wild state and
chopped and cleared it, making a home for his heroic young partner, Mary Flavin, whom he married in 1856. Their
children were: Thomas, Mary (Mrs. Robert Laffan, children, John, and Robbie), John, married Belle Stevens. Kate
(Mrs. Patrick Abernethy, one child, May), Ellen and James. Mr. Curran's second wife was Mrs. Mary (Britt) Hanley,
married in 1876. Children: Will, Peter, Alfred, Margaret, Arthur, Sane and Gertrude.
Fred L. Davis, son of Benjamin M. and Rosette (Rice) Davis, was born in 1848. His father, son of Benjamin W. Davis
from Fulton Co., N. Y., was a farmer, and in war times ran spars and timber by canal to New York. One lot of 52,
So feet long was sold there for near $10,000. Fred attended school at Rushford then drove on the tow path for his
father. He was then a farmer and livery man till he bought Swan's drug store in 1873, selling it in 1880 to H.
B. Maxson. In 1881 he and N. B. Sherman opened the first bottling works here. In 1889 they traded the business
to Charles Balcom for his drug store to which they added groceries and continued till 1892, when Mr. Davis bought
Mr. Sherman's interest, selling the entire business in 1895 back to Mr. Sherman. Mr. Davis is again a farmer and
livery man. He has always been a dealer in horses, owning at one time the famous "Sorrel Billy," when
his record of 2.24 1/4 was fast, Mr. Davis. always a Republican, was town clerk of Caneadea in 1876 and 1895. and
supervisor in 1878 and 79. He married Jennie Hewitt, children, Sadie R. Flora, and Nellie B. A part of his present
farm of 125 acres was settled by the pioneer James Rice, whose son Timothy's daughter, Rosette Rice, married Benjamin
M. Davis. Their two children were Ellery and Fred L.
William J. Fox is the son of Owen Flynn who was born in Ireland and came to Mt. Morris where he married Rosanna
Gormly. They had 2 children, Anna and William J. Mr. Flynn was killed by an accident on the canal at Brushville,
near Dansville. Mrs. Flynn married for her second husband Peter Fox by whom she had 1 child, Francis J. Mr. Fox
brought his family to Oramel in 1854. He enlisted in the 27th N. Y. for 2 years, and in 1864 re-enlisted, served
in 1st N. Y. Dragoons and was killed in battle of The Wilderness. William J. was born Oct. 3, 1846, in Mt. Morris.
He has had large experience in the lumber trade and in the oil business, drilling many wells; among others 1 in
New Hudson 1,203 feet deep, and to in Richburg. He owns 410 acres of land at Oramel, and has always been a large
farmer, breeder of horses, and dealer in live stock. He was elected commissioner of highways in 1885, and by re-elections
served 5 terms, during which he built 5 iron bridges. He is still a jobber in stone and earth work, his last job
was the abutments of the steel bridge at Oramel, in 1895, costing $3,400. Mr. Fox married Mina, daughter of George
Carpenter of Caneadea.
Phil D. Franklin, proprietor of the Red gristmill on Caneadea Creek, is the son of Arad H. Franklin who was born
in Bainbridge, Chenango Co., in 1798; where he married in 1823, Laura, sister of Hon. John M. Hammond. They came
to Caneadea in 1824, and in 1830 bought 104 acres of land, still the homestead of Phil D. Their children were:
Lafayette, Mayett (Mrs. Jerome Mead), Jerome B., Jonathan H., Prudence M. (Mrs. M. D. Freeborn), Ashley L., Phil
D. and Frederick D. Mr. Franklin dealt in lumber, and, with his son in law, Jerome Mead, built and ran 2 canal
boats, the "A. H. Franklin" and the "Mayett Mead." He was highway commissioner, justice of
the peace 8 years. He died in 1884. Phil D. was born Dec. 7, 1847, and went to Omaha in 1867 where he was a railroad
man. In 1874 he returned, and with his brother built, in the eighties, the brick drug store in Caneadea village
which they ran 3 years. Then he became a jobber, building, with W. J. Fox, the abutments of the lattice bridge
near the Genesee river. In 1888 he bought the Red gristmill built by John Smith in 1839 with a sawmill adjoining,
both of which he still conducts. He married, in 1876, Eva C. Ogden. Their children are: Clifford B., Charles A.
B., Bessie, Lenora and Eva M.
Edwin T. Hendry is the son of Thomas E. Hendry who was born in Delaware Co., N. Y., in 1808, the son of John and
Bethia (Baker) Hendry. William the ancestor came from Ireland. In 1813 John took his family to Loraine county,
Ohio, where he died in 1828, when the family returned to this state and settled in Eden, Erie Co. Thomas E. married
Mary Joslin, whose mother, a Jennings, was an heir to the famous Jennings estate that still remains in England,
because one or two families failed to preserve their family records. The children of Thomas E. and Mary were: John,
Serena (Mrs. Orrin D. Green, children, Charles T., Flora C. and Chester A.), Ruth A. (Mrs. John Barber), William
J. and Edwin T. Thomas E was a clothier by trade, after his marriage a farmer and a great reader. He came to Caneadea
in 1852 and died here in 1887. His son Edwin T. was born in Eden, Aug. 2, 1850. In 1869 he began making cheese
and followed it to years. In 1878 he married Isabel Holton of Scio. Children: Harold, Earnest, and Gale. Mrs. Hendry
died in 1893.
George P. Leet is son of Edwin Leet, whose father Abner Leet was born in Connecticut and settled in Fenner, Madison
Co., N. Y., where he married Polly Ransom. Children: Minerva, Thomas R., Abner B., Julia A. (Mrs. Parley Short,
the only child now alive), Uriah, Franklin, Edwin, Russell and Harriet. Abner Leet brought his family to Hume in
1833, and worked George Minard's farm. In 1839 he built and kept for some years the noted old Red Tavern in Fillmore.
Edwin Leet was born in 1820, and married in 1848 Mary A., daughter of the famous hunter George Parker of Hume.
The same year he and his brother Thomas R. bought the farm of 175 acres, now the home of his sons Ralph and George
P., and here he died in 1893. George P. was born on the old homestead in 1852, attended the common schools and
Rushford Academy, and has always been a farmer. He married in 1873 Mattie, daughter of H. K. Stebbins of Rushford.
Their children are Bernice and Dora. His farm has always been rich in Indian relics. While preparing to build his
house in 1878 a row of six Indian graves were unearthed in which were found brass kettles, arrow heads, and trinkets.
Mr. Leet was assessor in 1883, justice of the peace 1887 to 1895, and postmaster at Houghton from 1888 to 1893.
Erly H. Madison, M. D., son of Harrison and Betsey M. Madison, was born in New Hudson Oct. 29, 1869. He attended
school at Houghton Seminary 2 years, read medicine and was graduated from Buffalo Medical University in 1891, and
has since practiced his profession at Oramel He married in 1887 Mina, daughter of William A. Davis from Cayuga
Co., N. Y. They have one child Harrison W. The Davis family is of Welch origin with five generations bearing the
name of William Davis. The American ancestor, grandfather to William A., was a soldier in the War of 1812, as was
also Brewster Madison, the father of Harrison, who was born in Groton, N. Y., and married Maria Emery, whose father
was a blacksmith in the village of Hume in 1832, and moved his business to Belfast in 1834., Mrs. Madison has two
relics preserved by the Davis family of rare historic interest; a powder horn of Indian make covered with excellent
carvings and the name "Capt. Isaac Woods 1777." It holds two pounds of powder, or one quart of whiskey,
for which purpose the Indians also used it. The other relic is a German clock over a century old still a good time
David A. Mountain is son of John Mountain who came in 1840 and settled on the Gen. Micah Brooks tract in Caneadea.
He married A nastatia, daughter of John Bowers. They had four sons: Thomas, John L., William and David A., who
was born in Caneadea, Oct. 22, 1844. Their father, who was born in 1804, was killed in [845 by a fall on the ice.
At the age of 17 David A. went to the oil regions at and near Titusville, Pa., returning in 1866 with sufficient
savings from his wages to help his mother clear the old homestead from debt. In 1868 Mrs. Mountain sold the old
homestead and bought the farm of 145 acres where David A. now resides. Thomas and William died before they reached
manhood, and after their mother's death David A. bought out John D's. interest in the farm and built new buildings
in modem style. She died Jan. 14, 1878. He married in 1870, Catharine, daughter of Captain William Rock of Rockville
town of Belfast. Their children have been: Anastasia, Rose and Mary, twins, William H., David J., Stephen V., Agnes
and Elizabeth. In 1890 Mr. Mountain moved his family to Geneseo, where Anastasia, now a teacher at Belfast, and
Rose and Mary, now teachers at Tonawanda, were graduated from the State Normal School in 1892. William H. is now
in the Buffalo Medical College. Mr. Mountain was one of the assessors of Caneadea from 1878 to 1884. John D. Mountain
bought the old J. McCray farm in this town, where he still lives with his wife and one son Thomas.
Dan Nicholson, son of Abel S. and Adeline (Turner) Nicholson, is in the ninth generation of descent from Anneke
Jans, the original owner of the now multi million Trinity church property in New York City. Her second husband
was Domine Everardus Bogardus. Their son William had a daughter, Anette, who married Jacobus Brower. Magdalena
Brower married William Drake, whose daughter, Hannah Drake, married Jonathan Washburn and their daughter, Mary
Washburn, married in 1798 at Middletown, N. Y., Nicholas Nicholson, whose children were Edward, Sarah, Elizabeth,
James H., Hannah, Abel S. Mr. Nicholson brought his family to Caneadea in 1827. He built about 1835 the house Columbus
Balcom owns and kept tavern there. Abel S. Nicholson and his brother, James H., built and ran a sawmill. Abel S.
conducted a grocery store in which he kept the postoffice. He was appointed postmaster Sept 14, 1845. by Postmaster
General Cave Johnson under John Tyler. His children were Edward, Robert, Dan and Mariette. Dan was born in 1854,
and has always been a farmer. He married in 1887, Catharine, daughter of Jacob C Klickee of Clarence, Erie county.
They have two children, Eva C. and Clarence R.
Charles R. Parker is the son of Richard, whose father John Parker lived in Massachusetts, and was a tanner and
currier. Richard was born there in 1804, and married Maria Young. Children, George E., Lucy, Lydia, Betsey A.,
Hiram H., William, Jane, Charles R., Elizabeth and Horace H. Richard brought his family to Caneadea in 1835. He
and his cousin George were noted hunters, going winters to Pennsylvania and shooting deer till their sleighs were
loaded with choice venison which they sold in the east, driving as far as Boston, and one winter making two trips.
Richard was a successful farmer, and died in Caneadea at the age of 85. Charles R. was born in Caneadea in 1844.
He passed 8 years in the oil country, and with his brother George, was a merchant at Oramel in 1872-3. He married
in 1866 Mary McIntosh. Children, Earl, married Maud Bates, Anis (Mrs. Milo J. Allen, one child Ethel), George,
married Hattie S. Carpenter, Florence (Mrs. A. R. Brine), Clair, Ruth, Grover C. and Harrison. Mr. Parker bought
his present farm of 65 acres in 1885. He has paid special attention to horses, owning for a time the noted runners,
"Caligula" and "Long Branch," and now owning several thoroughbreds. He is a democrat, and is
serving his second term as justice of the peace.
Charles Reeves, hotel keeper in Oramel, is the son of James Reeves, who was born in Onterio county, in 1801, and
married Melinda Van Scoy. Children, George, Clarissa, Canar, Margaret, Charles, Hannah. Emily, Mary and Delos.
James came to Belvidere in 1845, and with his sons' help chopped and cleared several hundred acres of land for
Mr. Paxton. He died in 1882. Charles was born in Yates county, and began while yet a boy working on the canal at
Penn Yan. By hard work and good habits he saved money enough to buy a boat. He prospered and owned several boats
which he ran from the upper Genesee Valley canal to all points east. Rates on lumber to Albany were then from $5
to $10 per 1,000 feet. Among his best boats were the J. R. Barber, and the J. A. Willover, the latter cost $1,800.
They carried from 75,000 to 90,000 feet of lumber. After canal times he jobbed a year in the oil country. In 1883
he bought the hotel he still conducts at Oramel. He married Emily McKee.
George Reusch, son of Frederick and Margaret (Fritz) Reusch, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, Feb. 28, 1847. Frederick,
his father, son of Leonard Reusch, was born in 1810. The children of Frederick and Margaret were: John B., Godfrey,
George, Margaret, Dora and Mary; the two youngest have since died. The family came to America in 1852, in ship
St. Patrick. Mr. Reusch bought the farm of 120 acres his son still owns at $16 per acre and lived on it till his
death in 1876. George was brought up a farmer. He married Dora, daughter of Christopher and Dora (Behrens) Achilles.
They have one adopted child, Grace.
John Ryecraft, son of Joseph, son of John, was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1833. His mother was Frances, daughter
of Thomas and Catharine (Laning) Kingston. The children of Joseph and Frances Ryecraft were: John, Catharine, Thomas,
Esther and George. John came to America in 1855 on the sailing ship Antarctic, which had several cases of cholera,
and was 38 days coming. John came to Rushford and worked by the month till 1859 when he bought the first land of
his present farm of 15o acres at $6 per acre. His father and mother left Ireland in 1862, coming to Hume where
Mr. Ryecraft died in 1880, and his widow survives him. In 1857 John married Jane McCarthy of Hume. Children: Frances
(Mrs. Frank McCall of Rushford), Charles (dec.), John (married Cora Wells 3 children), George, Thomas, Joseph (married
Eva Kendall; children, John and Fannie) and William. Joseph and William live in Denver, Colo.
Amos R. Smith, son of John and Maria (Wilson) Smith, was born in Kinderhook, N. Y., June 5, 1818. John, born in
1791 in Montpelier, Vt., came in 1809 to Kinderbook and was a commercial traveler, one of the first. Children:
Mary A. (Mrs. Isaac Quackenbush), Amos R., John, Henry, Jeanette, Lydia, Edward, James (the last 4 were killed
by the explosion of the steamer Phoenix on the Hudson river in 1832, Dr. Smith received $8,000 in settlement),
Emeline, (Mrs. Wesley Smith), William and Ambrose. John Smith came to Caneadea in 1833, and bought 300 acres of
land on the creek, built a store (now the Jackson house) and traded 3 years, sold to Henry Runyan and in 1838 built
and ran the present red gristmill, and had a sawmill above on same dam. He went to Michigan in 1861, and died there
the same year. In 1832 Amos R. began learning the wagon trade with Webster Wagner, of palace car fame, at Palatine
Bridge. N. Y. He came in 1836 to Caneadea and built and ran a wagon shop till 1843. The next 8 years he traveled
for Genio C. Scott, the noted fashion delineator of New York City. In 1851 he bought 200 acres in Caneadea, and
served as coroner in 1859 and 1860. He then engaged in the pension and bounty business. He married, in 1840, Deborah
Smith, who died in 1844. His second marriage was in 1846, to his brother John's widow, Mrs. Emily A. Smith, daughter
of the noted hunter, George Parker. Their children have been: Mary A. (Mrs. Lucius N. Brainard, children: Pauline
E. (now Mrs. Martin Litchard, one child Donald), Ethel L., Hollis M. and Mildred), John C., (married Maria Ives,
children: Berdine and Bernice,) and Cassius M., married Mary Millard, one child, Courtney C. Mr. Smith died Jan.
Christ J. Schmidt, son of Christ and Sophie (Kreuger) Schmidt, was born in Mecklenburg, Scheverin, Germany, in
1828. In 1854 Mr. and Mrs. Schmidt and their children, John, Christ J., Frederica and Mary came to America and
in 1856 settled in Caneadea. Mrs. Schmidt died in 1871 and Mr. Schmidt in 1878. Christ J.married in 1862 Elizabeth,daughter
of Peter Lutz,who came from Germany in 1852, and settled in Caneadea, where he died in 1880. Mrs. Lutz died about
1865. The children of Christ J. and Elizabeth were John, Henry (married Ella McCarthy, one child), Christ, Ida
(Mrs. Fred Lillie, one child, Earl), Albert, George and Roy. Mr. Schmidt bought in 1867 the first 50 acres of his
present farm of 170 acres. His son Henry has a farm of 227 acres.
Nathaniel B. Sherman, druggist at Caneadea, was born at Burrville May 4, 1854. His father, William, born in 1818,
and his grandfather, Stephen Sherman, came from New York City about 1833. William returned to New York where he
was a stone cutter and married Mary Taylor, from Virginia. Children, Henrietta (Mrs. Rev. James I. Scribner), Elizabeth
(Mrs. Rev. Walter A. Scribner), William and Nathaniel B. The latter grew up a farmer, and became a canal man, owning
and running several boats, his first purchase being the "Isabel of Burrville," and he stuck to the business
till the Genesee Valley canal was abandoned Sept. 30, 1878. He kept the Jackson House at Caneadea in 1880, and
in 1881 became a partner with Fred L. Davis in the bottling business and a meat market. In 1889 they opened a grocery
and drug store. In 1891 Mr. Sherman was elected Sheriff of Allegany county, taking the office in 1892, when he
sold his store interest to Mr. Davis, and removed to Angelica. At the close of his three years' term he returned
to Caneadea and bought the old grocery and drug business of Mr. Davis in the spring of 1895. In the spring of 1896
he was elected supervisor of Caneadea on the Republican ticket. Dec. 16, 1875, Mr. Sherman married in Rochester
Mary J. Slewick,who was born in that city of English parents, whose families bore honorable records in their native
Charles F. Stebbins is the son of Henry K. Stebbins who was born in Norway, Herkimer Co., N. Y., in 1812, son of
John, whose children were, William, John J., Philander W., Charles, Henry K. and his twin sister Fannie, Mary and
Kate. Henry K. was a merchant in Salisbury, Herkimer county, and later a commission dealer in Watertown, N. Y.,
coming in 1849 to this section buying butter and cheese. He married in Salisbury, Rutham S. Ives, and came to Rushford
in 1857, a farmer, a merchant, and in 1864, one of the three men who built the pioneer cheese factory. He removed
to Caneadea in 1868, and bought the farm of 140 acres his son, Charles F., still owns. His chidren were, William
D., Mary (Mrs. Robert W. Ford), Harriet A. (Mrs. Henry W. Norton), Martha E. (Mrs. George P. Leet), Henry R., Fred
I., Charles F. and Lizzie (Mrs. Frank Crowell). H. K. Stebbins died Feb. 14, 1892. Charles F. was brought up a
farmer, and was educated at the Genesee Valley Seminary, one year at Oberlin, Ohio, and at Denison University,
Granville, Ohio. He returned in 1877 and has since been a farmer on the old homestead. He married in 1886 Eliza
A. Stephenson, who died in 1887. His second marriage was in 1889 to Isabella C. Brown. They have two children,
Isabella B. and Charlotte E.
Henry Clark is son of Lyman, son of David Clark, whose father came from Ireland and settled in Connecticut where
David was born. He came to Tully, Cortland Co., N. Y., where Lyman was born in 1804, about which time David brought
his family to Warsaw, and was an early settler of Wyoming county. Lyman married a Miss Spoor, children; Henry,
born May 20, 1835, Anna, Isaac W., Cornelius, Catherine, and George. Mr. Clark died in 1880. Henry has always been
a farmer. He married in 1857, Candace, daughter of Stephen Rice who came to Caneadea in 1833, son of Eber Rice
of Rutland, Vt. After residing in Wyoming and Genesee counties, part of the time in Leroy, Henry came in 1869 to
Caneadea and bought his present farm on lot 69, where pioneer Walter Alworth settled in 1834. It has had but two
owners. Mr. and Mrs. Clark have one child, George, born in 1867, who is a farmer with his father on the old homestead
now containing 184 acres. They are up to date farmers, and among the very few who built a silo in 1895. Mr. Clark
is Republican. He served as assessor from 1882 to 1888. George married Carrie d'Autremont. They have one child,
Henry L. They are both old school teachers and still students and readers.
James J. Thomas, proprietor of the public hall at Caneadea, son of Henry M., and grandson of George Thomas,
was born in 1855, in Adams Co., Pa., his home being but eight miles from Gettysburg. During that historic battle
Mr. Thomas says the roar of artillery was constant, but the children had a long tin horn which with the big end
on the ground and the ear at the small end conveyed a peculiar sound, quite like the buzzing of a disturbed swarm
of bees. He also describes the singular action of horses who were excited by the constant trembling of the ground,
and would change from one foot to the other, refusing to keep quiet. His father was a soldier in that battle, and
served to the close of the war but died on his way home. He married Margaret Orner; children, James J., born in
1855, John C., William H., and Maggie M. (Mrs. John Haller). James J. learned wagon making and then the builder's
trade. In 1882 he went to Kansas and then to the Pacific coast where he had charge of building a life saving station
that took two years. In 1892 he came to Caneadea and married Mrs. Prin B. (Westbrook) Ingersoll. Mr. Thomas has
built a commodious public hall in Caneadea, and a grand stand at the race track, both of which he owns and runs.
Harvey Tucker is the grandson of Joshua Tucker, whose parents were Quakers and lived in Rhode Island. Joshua settled
in Greenwich, N. Y., where he married Rebecca Kenyon. Children were: Jonathan, Joshua C., Gardner, Jabez, Abathy
and Elizabeth. Joshua C., born in 1804, married Elizabeth S. Wright. Their children were: John W., Henry, Harvey
and Alphonzo. Harvey the only survivor. Mr. Tucker brought his family to West Almond in 1835. In 1840 he moved
to Angelica where he was county superintendent of the poor in 1854, 1855 and 1856. He was a veteran school teacher
of 25 terms, teaching his last term when he was 6o years old. He died in 1876. Harvey Tucker was born Dec.25, 1835.
in West Almond. He was educated in the Angelica schools, attending the academy when Prof. Center was principal
and D. P. Richardson assistant. He was brought up a farmer and in 1858 married Mary A., daughter of David Carey
of Hume. Charles J., their eldest child, was graduated from the New York Medical University in 1883, and is now
practicing his profession in Topeka, 'Kan. He has 2 children Clair M. and Bessie C John E., second son, died when
4 years old, and Nana S. the youngest child died in 1887 at the age of 18 while at school in Batavia. Mr. Tucker
bought in 1858 the first 70 acres of his present farm of 204 acres, which originally belonged to the noted Indian,
Copperhead, and included the Shongo island in the river. He raised in 1895 50 tons of sweet corn from 11 acres,
and 1,100 bushels corn from 16 acres. He has been justice of the peace for 16 years. Mr. and Mrs. Tucker gave Houghton
Seminary 11 acres of land and $200 in labor and material.
Abram L. Vosburgh, merchant at Oramel, is the son of Barnabas and Lydia (Harris) Vosburgh, of Vermont, where Barnabas,
whose father came from Germany, was born in 1789. Their children were: Isaac, Jane, Ann, George, Armenius, Lucy,
William, Clarissa, Andrew J., Thomas L., Abram L. and Betsey. Abram L. was born in Danby, Tompkins Co., in 1834.
After running lumber on the Chemung river he came in 1852 to Belmont and made shingles there. In 1861 he located
near Allentown, Pa, where he ran two shingle machines. In 1881 he came to Oramel and bought the Burleson farm of
140 acres which he still owns. In 1888 he opened a store in the Granger block which he moved to his present location
in the old Arcade building the same year, buying it in 1891. This block of 4 stores cost in canal times in the
fifties $4,500. Mr. Vosburgh married in 1855, Emily, daughter of N. B. Welch, of Scio; children, Francis B., Florence
A. (Mrs. Charles Bidwell, two children, Claude and Ethel), Myrtie (Mrs. Frank H. Lawton), and Charles W. married
Clarie Petty, two children, Robert and Mildred. Mr. Vosburgh has been an active member in the M. E. Church acting
as Sabbath school superintendent 25 years. Politically a Republican, he has been justice of the peace in Caneadea
five years, and has managed cases in justice court, and transacted legal business for others since 1860.
John H. Waggoner, postmaster at Oramel, was born at Oramel Sept. 18, 1871. His father Charles W. Waggoner, was
born in 1842, in Rensselaer county, N. Y., son of John H. and Eleanor (Sears) Waggoner, whose children were, Francis,
Charles W., Martin, Clark and George. Charles W. enlisted in 1861, in Co. E, 93d N. Y., and served in the Army
of the Potomac in 32 engagements, among which were Cold Harbor, Antietam, Wilderness and Gettysburg. He was discharged
Oct. Kr, 1864, returned to Oramel and married Jan. 8, 1865, Lucinda Dake. Children, John H., Charles and Miles.
Mr. Waggoner's health was ruined in the army and he receives a pension. John H. was appointed postmaster Nov. 23,
1895, succeeding William E. Hammond, who was appointed in April, 1862, by Montgomery Blair, and held the office
till his death Sept. 20, 1895.
James L. Jackson, merchant at Caneadea, son of Col. James A. Jackson, was born at Burrville Oct. 6, 1843. James
Allen Jackson, whose father's name was James Andrew, was born in Herkimer county, in 1806, and settled in Onondaga
county, where he was ensign in the 233d Regt. of Infantry. He came to Burrville in 1831 and married Matilda, daughter
of Major Alanson Burr. Children, Marion, James L., Andrew F., Ida M. (Mrs. Alpheus Estabrook, children, Minnie
M. and Volney J.), and her twin brother Melvin, who died young. He was lieutenant colonel in the 23oth Regt. state
infantry which he resigned in 1841. He was a farmer and hotel keeper at Burrville, came to Caneadea village in
r866 and bought the Minard House which has since been known as the Jackson House. His wife died in 1852, and he
married in 1854, Achsah, daughter of George W. and Betsey (Swift) Dunham of Rushford. Her brothers and sisters
were, Lucia (Mrs. A. J. Burr), Harriet (Mrs. Alva C. Burr), George W., killed in battle of Cold Harbor, Milan A.
and Lyman. Col. J. A. Jackson died in 1888, and Mrs. Jackson is proprietor of the Jackson House. He held all town
offices except justice of the peace, was canal collector two years, and at one time carried the mail from Burrville
to Angelica. Franklinville and Pike. James Leroy Jackson graduated in 1865 from Eastman's Commercial College at
Poughkeepsie and was clerk and book keeper in various places till he bought Jo. Holden's store in 1874. He still
is a merchant, was supervisor in 1884-5, and postmaster 1885 to 1889. He married in 1874, Adalaide, daughter of
Abijah Sanborn. Children, Allan L., Luella L. (Mrs. Fred it Leet) and George B.
Theodore C. and Joseph H. Wingert are the sons of Henry G., whose father, Henry Wingert, was born in Germany, and
settled in Jefferson county, Pa., where Henry G. was born in 1844. He married Paulina Walker. Children, Theodore
C. born in 1867, Jefferson G., a lawyer in Pennsylvania, Perry L. and Joseph H. born in 1873, Mrs. Wingert died
in 1873. Mr. Wingert re-married, and is now a merchant, and the owner of a gristmill and several farms in Marchand,
Indiana Co., Pa. Theodore C. was raised a farmer and lumberman. In 1890 he went to the far west, spending a summer
near Portland, Oregon. Returning home he came with his brother Joseph H. to Caneadea where they bought in 1894
their present farm of 105 acres on which they raised in 1895, $136 worth of sweet corn from four acres, and 1,900
bushels of potatoes from eight acres, selling 1,100 bushels at 18 cents per bushel, and the rest at 10 cents per
bushel. Theodore C. Wingert married in 1894, Ida, daughter of Jacob Bartholomew of Marchand, Pa. They have one
child, Joseph L.
[Also see History
of Caneadea, N. Y.]